Start by marking “Errant (Killer Unicorns, #.5)” as Want to Read:
Errant (Killer Unicorns, #.5)

Errant (Killer Unicorns 0.2)

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  286 ratings  ·  41 reviews
In 18th century France, a noble family prepares to celebrate their daughter's arranged marriage by holding a traditional unicorn hunt. But when an unusual nun arrives at the chateau with her beloved pet to help the rich girl train, nothing goes as expected. Starring hunters, fine ladies, fancy frocks, and killer unicorns.

A standalone novelette set in Peterfreund's killer
Published April 3rd 2011 by Noise Court Press (first published April 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Errant, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Errant

Bloodlines by Richelle MeadSilence by Becca FitzpatrickClockwork Prince by Cassandra ClareThe Iron Knight by Julie KagawaCity of Lost Souls by Cassandra Clare
YA Books I need to read urgently
444th out of 475 books — 573 voters
Free Four by Veronica RothDestroy Me by Tahereh MafiHana by Lauren OliverGlitches by Marissa MeyerSummer's Crossing by Julie Kagawa
YA Short Stories and Novellas
473rd out of 491 books — 961 voters

More lists with this book...

Celine
Me and killer unicorns, we go way back. The first time I heard of their existence it was like finding that missing piece that completes you into a whole being. It filled the empty little place in my heart. And still now, I can't get enough.

Errant is a short story of about 30 pages, set in historical France. Gitta, a unicorn hunter trained in Rome, is summoned to help in a symbolic unicorn hunt. But there is more magic hiding in this estate than she expected...

I loved how in this tiny short story
Rebecca
A short story set in the same universe as the killer unicorns in Rampant and Ascendant, Errant is just as awesome as Rampant. I like unicorns; when they’re bad. Luckily, Diana Peterfreund’s unicorns are just the kind of unicorns that I love to read about.
Errant starts off a little confusing as you’re not too sure whats happening, who it’s happening to and why it’s happening but as you read on things become quite a lot clearer and it’s quite an interesting story.
I love Diana’s writing, I’ve read
AH
Jul 09, 2011 AH marked it as to-read
Free download - code SSWSF - from Smashwords.com 7/9/11
Angie
Synopsis: "In 18th century France, a noble family prepares to celebrate their daughter’s arranged marriage by holding a traditional unicorn hunt. But when an unusual nun arrives at the chateau with her beloved pet to help the rich girl train, nothing goes as expected. Starring hunters, fine ladies, fancy frocks, and killer unicorns.

A standalone novelette set in Peterfreund’s killer unicorniverse, which includes the novels RAMPANT and ASCENDANT"

My Review: This was a short story that takes place
Jess Schira
This is a short story which I read on my kindle. Errant is part of Peterfreund’s series which includes Rampant and Ascedant but it is important that you understand that Errant is a stand-alone story. I have not read either of the other books and had no problem reading Errant.
The premise behind the story, and the series is that unicorns are not the innocent creatures we remember from childhood fairy tales. They are nasty creatures who would just as soon eat you as look at you. Even though I have
Sonatajessica
Not bad, a little excursion to further realms of Peterfreund's Killer Unicorns-Universe. She always makes interesting statements about feminism and empowerment in her stories, and on top of things gives us fierce unicorns, what's not to like? Well, I liked this but did not love it as much as I did "Rampant" and "Ascendant", even the other short story I read by her, "The Care and Feeding of your Baby Killer Unicorn" did grab me more, well, I guess medieval tales are not really my thing though it ...more
Crystal
I read this short story in a collection of short stories (Kiss Me Deadly). I didn't really get how it was related to the topic of paranormal love, and I didn't really enjoy it. I didn't love Rampant, Peterfreund's first unicorn book, either, so it shouldn't be a shock. But this story was in many ways even stranger than Rampant. Gitta, the angry dirty travelling nun with her own personal unicorn, was not very sympathetic, despite improving as the story went along. I didn't understand her motivati ...more
Deymi
Es un libro súper corto. Narra la historia de una joven llamada Elise que esta a punto de casarse y contratan a una cazadora de unicornios llamada Gitta para que le enseñe a matar el unicornio para hacerlo en el día de su boda como tradición familiar. En ese corto tiempo le toca enfrentarse a la crueldad de Adolphe, su primo, porque no le conviene que se case, ya que podría perderlo todo. Este librito es parte de la serie "Killer Unicorn" de Diana Peterfreund, sin embargo, está habituado en la é ...more
Raven
What a great short story! I love this world of killer unicorns, as silly as it sounds. The imagery is beautiful, the characters are thoughtful, and the prose is well written. I was so glad to hear there was more to this world, even though it was only a short story. I love the different take on unicorns. They are not the friendly creatures fairy tails have us believe. They kill anyone who isn't a virgin maiden. Killer, bloodthirsty unicorns. Love it.

This short story has nothing to do with the oth
Laura Martinelli
Interesting addition to the Killer Unicorns universe. I like the emphasis on the historical unicorn hunters, as well as tying actual depictions of unicorn hunts and tapestry. That said, I wish there would have been more of Elise’s quiet strength, and her build-up to defying her family and fiance’s wishes at the end. Gitta’s story is strong, and I liked her relationship with Enyo the unicorn. It’s not a bad short story, and I’d recommend it for fans of the Killer Unicorns series, but it didn’t ha ...more
stephanie
so it's well established i love killer unicorns, and i love everything Diana Peterfreund writes.

but let me say why i loved this short story.

what endears me to peterfreund is that it's clear she does her research. here with have gitta, a unicorn hunter nun, and elise, a noble french maiden. this is about tradition, and magic, desire and reality, duty and dreams. it's short, being a short story, but there is such detail. and enyo! and enyo's story. the little zhi and poor bijoux.

it's historical
Jovy
Nice and interesting story!!!

I can't believe they wanted to kill a unicorn for the hunt because of a betrothal celebration and start of the wedding party!!! Don't they know that unicorns are magical beings and hard to find??!!?? They should talk to Voldemort on how hard to find and what the price is to kill a unicorn!!!

The unicorn is eating the peacock!!! Where is Hagrid, obviously, the sister from Rome doesn't know how to take care of the unicorn.

Order of the Lioness...maidens of the blood... h
JenniferJ
I have had Rampant on my shelf for ages now and I am moving it up on my TBR list because I enjoyed this short novella so much! I began reading Errant and thought I was gonna just have to put it down because I could not fathom why anybody would want to kill a unicorn! I was really getting upset and still had an upsetting moment in the story (that had nothing to do with the Unicorn) but don't want to give that away...

There is not much I can say without unloading the entire story but it's basically
Lara
I really like this world that Peterfreund has created, and I liked the direction this story took, but, as is usually the case with these novellas people keep putting out these days, it felt like the end came a little too abruptly and that the main problems were solved a little too easily. I definitely liked the two main characters, I just would have preferred a bit more depth to the story. But then, I'm not sure how much depth you can really squeeze in in so few pages. This is why I just don't l ...more
Jenna
A wonderful little standalone short story set in Peterfreund's world of her "Killer Unicorns" story. This is a departure from the two novels (and her other short story, "The Care and Feeding of Your Baby Killer Unicorn") because the story takes place in the 18th century as opposed to modern times. I love this because it shows how much Peterfreund has to mine in this universe where kick-ass nuns slay evil unicorns. I hope she never stops writing about these foul beasts and the babes who fight the ...more
Abby
Aug 25, 2011 Abby rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Abby by: others in the series
My first ebook! I downloaded it to read on my new iphone during the eternal waiting around we'll do tomorrow signing up for benefits at my new school district.

This was a lovely companion to her other killer unicorn books. A look into their past and with more kick butt girls.

Perfect to pass time waiting in line.
Julie
Sep 05, 2011 Julie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: readers of the Killer Unicorns series
Quick short story to go along with the killer unicorns series. I liked getting things from both girls' perspectives and thought it gave some good background to the series. I'd recommend it to anyone who's been reading the series, or even thinking about it (I don't believe it has any spoilers for the series itself).
Mia Darien
I love me some warrior unicorns. ("The Firebringer Trilogy" is made of Epic.) I love me some female empowerment. Alternate history is fun. But for some reason, this one never quite "grabbed" me. I liked it, just didn't *really* like it. But it was well done and a good read for what it was.
Stephani
I really, really liked this story. I am going to get Rampant and Ascendant. This story caught me and I want to read more about these unicorns. This story was catching, easy to read, really great discriptions, fun and I was stuck. Must Read this book, and I totally recommend it to others!!!!!!

Terri
I read this on a lark, thinking it would be hilarious. BUT I was surprised. The mythology is actually pretty good and in a short span of pages, some serious characters were drawn. I was actually attached to the unicorn! I'll prob check this series out in spite of myself.
Sherry
I've been reading this short story on and off when I've had a few extra minutes on my hands. I liked it, but not as much as I did Rampant. It contains different characters. Overall, it worked for great reading while waiting in line at the Secretary of State, etc...
Gewbook
I liked this addition to the world of Killer Unicorns. It was interesting to see how the hunters were functioning in the ages between roman and modern times. I liked the in between of it and the way characters treated the concept of unicorns and hunters.
Christina Daley
I found this to be a surprisingly entertaining short read. Peterfreund has a clever and yet poetic voice that drew me into this world straight away. I am now interested in seeking out her traditionally-pubbed features.
Jolie
Very interesting short story. I liked the spin the author put on the unicorns. Made me laugh just picturing what she wrote.

Will I read Errant again? Yes

Will I reccomend it to family and friends? Yes
kat
Apr 11, 2011 kat rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to kat by: Diana!
Shelves: new-read, kindle
Girl power. Herbology. Killer unicorns. Great good fun. It's 99 cents. Download it NOW.
Matthew
This short was a lot better then the main series. It was more intense and kept you guessing from start to finish. I didn't know how this was even going to end.
Brenda
A historical short story set in the Rampant universe. It was great! Thanks to Diana Peterfreund for temporarily offering this as a free download. :)
Chris
Peterfreund has a really good dark and heavy view of unicorons. This above average short story is about assumpations and appearances.
Lizbeth
I really loved that this is a mini prequel to the series. A real treat to the readers who read the Killer Unicorns Series.
  • Heads Will Roll (Necromancer, #0.1)
  • Glitter & Doom (Masque of the Red Death, #1.5)
  • Fallen from Grace (Dark Mirror, #0.5)
  • My Sister's Song
  • Passing (Crusade Short Story)
  • Men Who Wish to Drown
  • The Ash-Born Boy (The Near Witch, #0.5)
  • Hare Moon (The Forest of Hands and Teeth)
  • Turn Here (Short Story)
  • The Shattered Mountain (Fire and Thorns, #0.6)
  • Stopping Time and Old Habits (Wicked Lovely #2.5-.6)
  • Shadow of Stone (The Pendragon Chronicles, #2)
  • Tomorrow is Today (Tempest, #0.5)
  • The Light Keepers (ShadowLight Saga, #0.5)
  • Changelings & Other Stories
  • Shadow (Paper Gods, #0.5)
  • The Fierce Reads Anthology: Volume 2
  • Pig, Crane, Fox (Lóng City, #0.5)
119848
Diana Peterfreund has been a costume designer, a cover model, and a food critic. Her travels have taken her from the cloud forests of Costa Rica to the underground caverns of New Zealand (and as far as she’s concerned, she’s just getting started). Diana graduated from Yale University in 2001 with dual degrees in Literature and Geology, which her family claimed would only come in handy if she wrote ...more
More about Diana Peterfreund...
For Darkness Shows the Stars (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #1) Rampant (Killer Unicorns, #1) Secret Society Girl (Secret Society Girl, #1) Across a Star-Swept Sea (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #2) Under the Rose (Secret Society Girl, #2)

“I have only this cave to call my own.” 2 likes