Start by marking “How to Date a Werewolf (Rylie Cruz #1)” as Want to Read:
How to Date a Werewolf (Rylie Cruz #1)

How to Date a Werewolf (Rylie Cruz #1)

3.4 of 5 stars 3.40  ·  rating details  ·  1,489 ratings  ·  167 reviews
Romance can be a hairy business--especially when you're a werewolf.

As the owner of Get a Mate Dating Service, Rylie is more than happy to step in and lend a hand to lonely lycanthropic hearts all over town. No matter how hopeless Rylie might be in finding her own soul mate, she has a knack for helping others find theirs.

Convinced that she is stuck with a family curse, Ry
Published April 1st 2011 (first published February 15th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about How to Date a Werewolf, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Date a Werewolf

Grammy 1
When I received this book How To Date a Werewolf as my next `to review' , just the title made me smile. It sounded like something fun and Rose Pressey did not disappoint.

Rylie Cruz lives in the French Quarter of New Orleans, in an apartment she shares with her longtime girlfriend Jennifer. The apartment just happens to be above Rylie's business called Find A Mate. She is a match maker to the Paranormals who inhabit the Big Easy and she often will take on humans as well. This is easy for her bec
This is one of those kinds of books that you are either going to love or hate. I'm afraid I fell into the later category.

As I was reading this book I had to keep asking myself if these characters were in the ninth grade or if they were adults. Unfortunately they are adults but you would never know it.

Rylie is a werewolf and the owner of a dating service based in New Orleans. We get our first glimpse of this when a werewolf, Lily, comes in to voice a complaint on the match that was made for her b
Rylie Cruz is cursed. It is distressing enough that she turns all hairy and grows fangs once a month, but she also has inherited the family curse, placed several generations early by a gypsy witch. Unfortunately for Rylie, her life suddenly becomes more complicated than ever.

When the sexy Jack Chandler, a psychiatrist, moves into the office space across the hall from Rylie’s fledgling business Get a Mate, a matchmaking service, Jack is drawn to Rylie’s vivacious wit. However, Jack finds out that
How to Date a Werewolf is a fun read with a different take on werewolves.
It was funny to see Rylie, the main charachter, struggle with her werewolf-ness.
In most other werewolf stories werewolves can change from human to werewolf and back without damaging their clothes and get rid of all the excess hair the moment they're human again.
Well, not in this world...

I really liked Jennifer as well, Rylie's human roommate. Very lively and bubbly personality, sometimes at the point to drive Rylie crazy.
Poorly written, utterly unoriginal, cliched, boring...uh. I usually have more words in my vocab, to describe why a book just didn't work, but I really can't muster up the energy to explain it fully for this one.
They should add a tag called "couldn't finish it". I tried, I'm about 20% of the way through and it was just too [insert word here] (Boring, Uneventful, Random) for even me.

Karen Fowler
Having read another book by Pressey in the past (Rock n' Roll is Undead) I somewhat knew what to expect-- a quick fun paranormal read. And I was right.

But, this book was better in my opinion and I'm going to agree with another reviewer and say that Pressey has a gift for lighter, chick-lit style paranormal novels. Her 'voice' is unique and spot on, and I love the quirkiness that shines through as well.

I thought the plotting was fairly original and inventive. I'm quickly approaching middle-age
Dana Burnett
I just finished this book (again, read it while writing Spiritus and didn't give it the attention it deserved) and I can't wait to tell you about it!

First off, let me just say that this book is amazing! The main character, Rylie, runs a dating service called Get A Mate and just happens to be a werewolf. She's pretty successful pairing up both humans and the supernatural which is ironic since her own love life is cursed.

Things go a little crazy when one disgruntled werewolf client starts a picket
Sharon Tyler
How to Date a Werewolf is the first book in the Rylie Cruz series by Rose Pressey. Rylie is a werewolf that happens to run a dating service that works to find everyone (regardless of if they are completely human or happen to have some extra hair or very sharp teeth) the perfect mate. Convinced that a family curse denies her a happily ever after, so works hard to provide one for others. When handsome psychiatrist Jack moves into the building Rylie starts thinking that she might need to break that ...more
Rylie Cruz is a matchmaker with a very disgruntled customer. Rylie is a werewolf and mainly has other paranormal customers, such as werewolves, witches and vampires. Lily a werwolf is pissed off that her date didnt work out and is taking it out Rylie. She pickets her, follows her around and threatens to sue. Rylie notices others following her but just assumes its all part of Lily's scare tactics. In the midst of her drama a new neighbor moves in, the hunky therapist Jack. Rylie is not only tryin ...more
Rylie is the owner of a new dating service for paranormal creatures, Get a Mate. Unfortunately, she just got her first unsatisfied customer: Lily. Lily was recently dumped by her date and wants compensation for the psychological damage. She blames this on Rylie, since the slogan of her little company is that your mate will be found at the first date. To get this compensation, Lily is goes pretty far. She’s even boycotting Rylie’s business by walking in front of the store with huge boards. And th ...more
Jun 07, 2011 Frances rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: YA, paranormal romance fans
Shelves: owned, paranormal
In How to Date A Werewolf we meet Rylie Cruz, owner of Get A Mate dating service.This isn't your average dating service and Rylie isn't your average business owner. Get A Mate caters to paranormals looking for that special someone and Rylie is a werewolf. One who has a family curse on her that is making her find a mate herself difficult. When a hunky guy rents the office next door, Rylie just may get her chance to break the curse. Of course, it might be easier if Jack were a shifter instead of a ...more
I found the main character, Riley, completely lacking in common sense. She was selfish and stubborn, and that drove me completely insane - so much so that after about 42% of the book I really wanted to stop. But no, I like punishing here I am at the end of the book and unsatisfied.

Riley has put everything she, and her parents, have in to Get a Mate dating services. Great, that's the American spirit of entrepreneurship! Then she runs in to a problem with a couple she set up. Despite m
I love this author! Her style of writing is personal, like she's talking to you or as if you are hearing her thought processes. Her character's sarcastic vein is akin to my own therefore I completely relate to her character. Humor abounds in her tale as well.

Rylie Cruz owns and operates "Get A Mate" where she intuitively puts people together to make a love connection. The trouble begins when a highly disgruntled client, Lily, threatens her because of her failure in Lily's case. Then Rylie eyebal
"How to Date a Werewolf Rule #1: Always tell your date how nice they look despite excesshair."

When I first read this book I had just finished reading a book for school, so my reading material was pretty intense. So, I was a bit embarrassed to admit how much I enjoyed it. Let's face it we English Major's tend to be a bunch of elitists! But as another English princess reminded me, these types of books are the cotton candy of our reading life. When forced to read the heavies, its nice to sit down
Riley is a werewolf who owns Mate Dating Service and she is more than happy to step in and lend a hand to lonely lycanthropic hearts all over town. Riley is a no nonsense girl with a pension for disaster. Rylie is convinced she is out of luck for love herself due to a family curse that affects only her but when she meets Jack Chandler she is really hoping this curse will end.
There is an instant attraction between Riley and Jack, you can feel the sparks fly when they look into each others eyes.
Ugh, if I had know I could make a list for book I could drop here on goodreads I would not have finished this book. As it was I only skimmed most of it.

The main guys and girls relationship felt almost the same as the authors other book, Me and my ghoul friends, and therefore went stale really fast for me as I didn't like the other book that much either.

It really annoys me that all the action gets put at the very end and makes you want to know what going to happen next, but there is no way I will
I really struggled to finish this. Rylie (the main character) really frustrated me- she keeps getting threatened and despite mentioning the werewolf police pretty early on she never contacts them, she receives threatening notes and a bullet, she gets attacked and dragged away on a walking tour, her office gets broken into, she gets chased by guys in a car with a gun, she gets chased down the street her boyfriend gets two bullets delivered to him (with a note saying to stop seeing her or else). I ...more
I loved this book! I have read the Halloween LaVeau series and I started this series and I just love how Pressey writes. I love the quirks she gives her character and I like how she writes about paranormal stuff and keeps it light with humor as well. I have been reading her books non stop for the past two and a half weeks probably and I am hooked! I stay up way too late because I just can't stop reading.
Anyway, I love Jack, I think he is super cute and I was a little ticked off when him and Jen
Wow. Bad. I got this free on amazon, thankfully. Maybe 1.5 stars, mostly because I reserve 1 star for books I can't finish.

I'm not even sure what the genre is: romance, mystery, boring?

The premise is werewolf Riley runs a dating service for supernaturals called Get a Mate, which may be the stupidest name for a business ever. She lives with her roommate above her office and can't get a longterm relationship thanks to a gypsy curse.

My issues:
The writing is random at best. It's supposed to be funn
ORIGINAL POST Fangs, Wands and Fairy Dust 11/3/2012 How to Date a Werewolf is Howling for an Editor

Romance can be a hairy business-especially when you’re a werewolf.

Convinced that she i
Okay, this book is quirky and fun and it is kind of a pass the time by kind of book but I have to say that this has no real depth to it. The characters I find do not have any real kind of concept to them as far as the past and how they got to how they are in the present. I find that the characters can be a bit shallow and that I don't really like at all because it isn't that great to read when you understand that the characters like to talk about themselves.

The story line itself has many actions
Actual rating: 3.5

Minus the excess hair, Rylie reminds me of myself. I read this line and was instantly sold:

"I needed wine. Lots of wine. Then I might move on to something stronger. Whiskey might do the trick. Perhaps a little intravenous therapy of hard liquor was needed."

I like wine, I like whiskey, and I understand that sometimes hard liquor can be necessary, but fantastic, therapy. And I like my men with blonde hair and sparkling blue eyes, too. Go figure.

In the space of a few days, Rylie’s
Ashley Gooding
How to Date a Werewolf
Author: Rose Pressey
Characters: 3 out of 5
Plot: 4 out of 5
Overall: 3 out of 5
Format: e-Book (on my Kindle)
Source: Provided by the Author

Book 1 in the Rylie Cruz Series

Description: (Goodreads) Romance can be a hairy business—especially when you’re a werewolf.

As the owner of Got a Mate Dating Service, Rylie is more than happy to step in and lend a hand to lonely lycanthropic hearts all over town. No matter how hopeless Rylie might be in finding her own soul mate, she has a kn
A cute, clean read that's basically based on one woman's attempt to find love amidst a series of embarrassing mishaps. I mostly enjoyed it, but I felt cheated by the way none of the things that made Rylie (and by extension me) mad were resolved. She literally went from 'I'm sprouting fur I'm so angry' to 'it's ok I don't mind' in 2.5 seconds flat, again and again. I mean her best friend seriously stabbed her in the back, repeatedly, and she instantly forgave her without so much as an apology for ...more
Angela Oliver
This was a fun read. Not especially remarkable and it certainly had a number of flaws, but it was an enjoyable, entertaining tale that was of about the right length to keep the reader amused. Indeed, my only major bugbear is the capabilities of the werewolves when they were in wolf form - how can one hold a gun? And also that the author went a different way with the ending than I had perceived (nothing wrong with that - my ending was perhaps a little too predictable).

Riley is a werewolf and she
I almost couldn't finish this book. The main character was just really annoying and ditzy, and really naive/obtuse/something. She blamed all her problems on one specific person, despite evidence of multiple problems from multiple places, and her response was always to either hide evidence or turn into a werewolf and fight the other werewolf. The end of the book finally had her coming to her senses, but only due to being forced to by outside circumstances. And some of those outside circumstances ...more
Since I can't resist werewolf stories and Alpha males, this book caught my eye. The cover helped draw me in also because it reminded me of an old poster I had. How to Date a Werewolf starts each chapter with a dating tip or rule about dating a lycan. Sometimes it has something to do with the following chapter so it's a clue on what you're about to read.

Rylie Cruz owns and runs Get a Mate dating service that caters to supernaturals and humans, separately. The story starts with a disgruntled werew

Rose Pressey stays true to form with her lighter style of paranormal romance. The chapter titles where entertaining, some a little groan worthy, but all true!

Rylie uses her natural matchmaking talent to open up a dating agency for humans & supernaturals alike, while trying to overcome the family curse of never finding true love. We join the story with Riley dealing with her first unhappy customer, Lily. Lily being a high-strung werewolf she doesn't fill out a complaint form, instead she pic
This was my first read of anything by Rose Pressey and I did enjoy this one. It was a light-hearted, fun read, but didn't quite follow the usual rules of being a werewolf. Yes they were hairy, yes they had an appetite for meat, but other things were slightly different.

Rylie, the werewolf, runs a matchmaking service for the supernaturals of New Orleans, which is an odd choice of career considering her mother has informed her that her family have been cursed by a witch and the last girl in the fa
  • Soul Search
  • Lightbringer (Celestial Affairs, #1)
  • A Tale of 3 Witches
  • Destiny Awaits (Juniper Grove Chronicles #1)
  • Elegantly Undead (Coffin Girls, #1)
  • Mojo Queen (Roxie Mathis Book 1)
  • Dark Moon (Moon #10; Decorah Security #1)
  • Club Nexus (Ivy Granger, #2.5)
  • Darlin' Druid (Texas Druid, #1)
  • Bonded by Need (Shifting Bonds, #1)
  • Brimstone (Earth, Air, Fire and Water , #1)
  • Devil Moon
  • Baehrly Beginning (Goldie Locke and the Were Bears 0.5)
  • To Love a Witch (Novel Nibbles)
  • Seithe (Pravus, #1)
  • Demon Hunter and Baby (Aisling McKay, #1)
  • Paranormal Pleasures: Ten Tales of Supernatural Seduction
  • Strange Neighbors (Strange Neighbors, #1)
Forever Charmed available now!

Rock 'n' Roll is Undead, No Shoes, No Shirt, No Spells, How to Date a Werewolf, and Me and My Ghoulfriends are available on Kindle, Nook, and Smashwords. Only 99 cents.

Rose Pressey enjoys writing quirky and fun novels with a paranormal twist. The paranormal has always captured her interest. The thought of finding answers to the unexplained fascinates her.

When she's n
More about Rose Pressey...

Rylie Cruz (4 books)
  • How to Date a Vampire (Rylie Cruz, #2)
  • How to Date a Demon (Rylie Cruz, #3)
  • The Complete Rylie Cruz Series

“He even dressed up for you. He only has one stain on his t-shirt.- Rylie Cruz” 6 likes
“Poor kid--he was minding his own business, and now he had dirty underpants.” 0 likes