Start by marking “Braveheart” as Want to Read:
Braveheart

Braveheart

4.17  ·  Rating Details  ·  9,186 Ratings  ·  70 Reviews
For love of country, for love of maiden, for love of freedom...he became the hammer and scourge of England.

In one of history's darkest hours there arose from humble beginnings a man of courage and honor -- the likes of whom the world may never see again. Amid the color, pageantry, and violence of medieval Scotland unfurls the resplendent tale of the legendary William Wal

Published December 31st 1995 by Pocket Books (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Braveheart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Braveheart

The Princess Bride by William GoldmanThe Notebook by Nicholas SparksThe Devil Wears Prada by Lauren WeisbergerThe Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienStardust by Neil Gaiman
The MOVIE was BETTER than the BOOK
240th out of 859 books — 9,121 voters
Twilight by Stephenie MeyerBreaking Dawn by Stephenie MeyerNew Moon by Stephenie MeyerEclipse by Stephenie MeyerThe Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown
Popular Books that Annoy You
153rd out of 619 books — 1,913 voters

More lists with this book...

Charles
Mar 13, 2014 Charles rated it it was amazing
I very much liked the movie Braveheart. The same man who wrote the movie also wrote this book and they are almost identical, with a few relatively minor exceptions. Just as I liked the movie, I liked the book a lot. I've heard that the history is not terribly accurate here and there are clearly some speculative things. But as a heroic tale it certainly worked. At least for me.
Steven Ross
It had it's merits as a fun bit of fiction but............

Ever watch a movie or read a book and keep hearing a voice that says,"that's not the way it happened?" You have? Good. 'Nuff said.
Michelle
Dec 26, 2010 Michelle rated it it was amazing
EXCELLENT--BUY IT!!**
Lusitarius
Aug 29, 2012 Lusitarius rated it it was amazing
I've loved the movie ever since I saw it for the first time. That time I also had my first crush on actor, and since that I've been a huge Mel Gibson -fan. So it's really no wonder, that I wanted to read this book at some point of my life.

I liked the story very much. I could see it clearly in front of me; every moment of William Wallace's epic story. Characters were described very well, they seemed very realistic. The only negative thing in the book was the few too short chapters, they really bu
Sad Face
Jan 06, 2010 Sad Face rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Easy to read. Not too long. I would recommend this generally to anyone who enjoys reading.

According to my research, and contradictory to popular opinion, this is pretty accurate. The author took some liberaties with the plot and filled in some holes that, honestly, can never be factually filled, but I think he did a good job.

There is nothing fantastical about it, he kept it realistic, and tried his best to stick to the legends and stories that we do have.
Lara
Aug 11, 2011 Lara rated it really liked it
I read this when I was 13 as a strategy for getting my parents to let me watch the movie. I figured I could argue that since I'd read the book, then I knew all gruesome details that would be onscreen and thus not be "warped". That argument worked, and I did get to watch it. I don't remember a whole lot about this book other than I did love reading it despite my ulterior motives. It's grossly historically inaccurate (as is the film), but definitely an invigorating read.
Rosanna
Jan 16, 2011 Rosanna rated it it was ok
I was disappointed. In short, the movie is far better than the book. I never thought I'd say that.

Of course, that's probably because this book came AFTER the movie.

There is a book the movie is based on, called The Scottish Chiefs. It's on my to-read list.
Ann-marie
Nov 10, 2010 Ann-marie rated it it was amazing
If you pick up this book, don't plan on doing anything else until you've finished it. I think it's all time, the best book i've ever read. Oh and also plan on making a trip to the local video rental to get a copy of the movie. Even if you've already seen it.
Arwen56
Lo so che è da "femminucce", ma tutte le volte che leggo il libro o mi capita di rivedere il film, mi metto a singhiozzare. Mi commuove tantissimo questa storia.
Liz Cee
Feb 15, 2015 Liz Cee rated it did not like it
This book was written by a direct descendant of William Wallace. In the forward, Wallace tells us that not much is known about the Scottish hero and basically tells us that he filled in the blanks with his own imagination.

The reason I gave this book any stars at all, is because I am intrigued with that time period in history. The reason I deducted four stars was due to the ridiculous amount of typos in my e-book. There were one or more errors on each page! How can any editor let this happen? In
Kimberly
Apr 20, 2016 Kimberly rated it it was amazing
Erica
I think it's very difficult to rate a really great book when it has been made into a really great movie. Usually when I read a book-to-movie, I almost always love the book more with the exception being The Notebook. This one was tough because I absolutely LOVED the movie before I even knew it was based on a novel and it is one of the best adaptations of a book that I have seen. I wish that I had read the book first because I think that I would have enjoyed the movie a LOT more. I remember when I ...more
Victor Orozco
Mar 26, 2015 Victor Orozco rated it really liked it
Great. As far as movie adaptations go this was pretty good. Great movie Braveheart and just as good as a book. Nice detail to the characters from William Wallace and especially Princess Isabella. My guess over this adaptation is that it was based on a early draft of Randall Wallace's script. Little quirks such as Hamish punching William as a form of affection, the rearrangement of scenes, additional scenes that were probably never filmed or remain on the deleted scenes of a DVD/Blu-Ray release.

T
Kanami Iinuma
Dec 12, 2012 Kanami Iinuma rated it liked it
BRAVEHEART - penguin,level3
12/8-60minutes,12/10-30minutes,12/11-30minutes
7words. Man-Scottish-Blitish- family-fight-free-princess
Discussion question.
1.This main character fight to free his country from British, and finally he died. Can you fight for Japan?
-Maybe, I can't! Because I don't have brave heart like him, I don't want to die because of fight.
2.Scottish fought with using only sword. Do you think can they win enemies with using gun?
-I think they can win! Because to use clever idea is impo
Juanita Millhouse
Apr 26, 2015 Juanita Millhouse rated it it was amazing
I started reading this on a rainy day in a bookstore when a friend and I popped in for a visit while he was in town. Soon, I was wrapped up in the imagery of the book. Sure, I'd seen the movie before, but the book...so much better! And I love the movie. This was a great, moving read.
Aspiring Hermione
Jan 04, 2016 Aspiring Hermione marked it as not-finished
Recommended to Aspiring Hermione by: My teacher
We read it in my English class, but we never really finished it. I can't see myself reading it in the near future, but we never know what the future will bring. I really enjoyed the piece we got to read.
W. Nicol
Oct 17, 2014 W. Nicol rated it did not like it
When what is known of the true story of William Wallace is so inspiring, so thrilling, so packed with adventure, what need was there to write this nonsensical fiction about him?
Erin
Beautiful.

After seeing and falling in love with the movie, I have been wanting to watch the movie for years. I was not let down whatsoever.
Síaht
Jan 12, 2016 Síaht rated it really liked it
The beginning makes you want to know the end , But unfortunately the end could be better and have a little more happiness;
Mar 04, 2015 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
One of my most unforgettable reads. This is one of the most epic war stories I've read.
Nick Page
Mar 20, 2016 Nick Page rated it liked it
Shelves: movies
Good read but the rare occasion where I would say the movie is better.
Gupta Anirudha
Nov 27, 2015 Gupta Anirudha rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
The book is little bit hard to read if you are in hurry to complete it fast.
Kirby
Mar 27, 2014 Kirby rated it it was amazing
i saw the movie and it was one of my favorites! never read the book
Judy Purdy
Feb 06, 2014 Judy Purdy rated it liked it
Interesting, but not easy reading!
Saeed Safa
Apr 04, 2016 هشام rated it it was amazing
سحر
Koichi Amasaki
Jan 14, 2014 Koichi Amasaki rated it it was amazing
Randall Wallace captures the essence of William Wallace in ways the movie doesn't. Often times I prefer to read battle and combat scenes instead of watching it on the big screen. These scenes are very well written in the book. I am able to visualize it as I read. Anyone who enjoys the Scottish highlander culture should read the book in addition to seeing the movie.
woody
Sep 12, 2011 woody rated it really liked it
I loved the movie and so when I saw this book I had to buy it. Not the greatest writing, but the story was just like the movie. I could picture Mel Gibson in my head as I read. Not sure that either the book or the movie is historically accurate, but the story is spellbinding. English oppressors, Scottish rebels with a charismatic leader beating back the more numerous English in most every battle, fighting for freedom.
I think I'll watch the movie again.
  • Home Alone
  • The Night at the Museum
  • Sleeping with the Enemy
  • Home Alone 2: Lost in New York
  • Rain Man
  • Dances with Wolves (Dances with Wolves, #1)
  • The Poseidon Adventure
  • James Cameron's Titanic
  • Million Dollar Baby: Stories from the Corner
  • The Truman Show: The Shooting Script
  • أم العروسة
  • Notting Hill
  • Tangled (Disney's Tangled)

“Every man dies, not every man really lives” 129 likes