Origins (Demonkin, #1)

Origins (Demonkin #1)

4.31 of 5 stars 4.31  ·  rating details  ·  108 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Ashlyn Thorn was born different. Born with all the characteristics of a vampire, she lives in a world where vampires, elves, and werewolves work, play, and die side by side with normal humans. But everyone knows vampires aren't born, they're made. The only thing she wants is to know her true origins.

Ashlyn's quest to discover the truth of her differences is all that matter...more
Published April 11th 2011 by Echelon Press Publishing (first published February 8th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Origins, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Origins

Becky
I thought that Origins was a WONDERFUL read. I devoured it in two sittings and this was even while reading it as a PDF (I highly dislike reading on the computer screen, so this bespeaks its quality even further). I was very impressed that this is Sean's first book and also thrilled that there would be more coming.

His character development was delightful and I loved following Ashlyn with both her triumphs and her subsequent humbling moments. She's an engaging character and I found myself wanting...more
A.T. Russell
Expletiving expletive! This dude is hot! Sean Hayden's book, `Origins' is what's called a must read. The pages even turn themselves. What's more, you only think you know Vampires. I know I did. Or thought I did, that is. Everything changed when I read 'Origins.' Sean didn't try to reinvent the wheel with this offering. Instead, he tried something far more challenging. Sean may have changed the perspective of Vampire lore. 'Origins'certainly worked for me, and I'm betting it'll work for you too....more
Rayna
'Origins’ by Sean Hayden is a fast paced paranormal story that focuses on the vampire race as a species and its integration into the human world. Hayden sets the stage for a new fresh twist on vampire books; focussing on vampires and their hierarchies with in the race versus the stereotypical vampire book that focuses on lust, sex, and blood.

The book centres around a 17 year old Ashlyn Thorn who has lead a very isolated life until she is thrust into the world upon a tragic death of her last fam...more
Michele Tater
Author: Sean Hayden
Publisher: Echelon Press Publishing
ISBN: 9781590806821

Being a normal teenage is hard enough, but being Ashlyn is even more complicated. She lost her mother giving birth to her, and she does not even know her father. Given that she knows no other relatives she lives with her aunt, which seems normal right? But not only has her aunt cared for Ashlyn but she also lets Ashlyn feed off her blood every other day. Instead of nails Ashlyn has claws and her pupils of her eyed are slit...more
delane
This was a really good book!
There's not a lot of stories that I can say that I actually sat and read straight through in one night...but this one I did, it was that easy of a read.
Vampires, demons, weres (of all shapes and sizes), fae....you get the picture...are all known and accepted citizens who live and work among humans. Ashlyn is a vampire...sort of...at least that is mostly what she appears, but there are things about her that just don't jive with what the 'norm' for vampires are.
I'm got...more
Jen Wylie
Origins is one of those books you don’t want to put down. I’ve read it more than once, and love it more each time. Sean Hayden has a knack for drawing you in and keeping the action going.

With wonderfully developed characters and a unique twist on vampires this story is a must read for young and old, boy or girl. The main character Ashlyn Thorn pulls you into her life as she learns about herself; who she is, what she is. Her character grows, makes mistakes and learns. The other characters, vampir...more
Darcia Helle
I didn't think there were any new twists left for vampire books. Much to my delight, Sean Hayden proved me wrong. He brings a fresh approach to the often tired vampire tale. The characters are unique and wonderfully entertaining. The plot is suspenseful with a touch of humor to lighten to mood. I found myself fully immersed in Ashlyn's world and I enjoyed every minute.
Katy O'Dowd
I'm a huge fan of vampire books - from Varney to Dracula, and Carmilla to Eric, I'd like to think I've read a fair few of them.
And not since the True Blood series has something come along to make me sit up and take notice. Forget the billowing angst and wallowing mithering of the Twilight books, if you really want to get your teeth (geddit?) into something, then Sean Hayden's Origins is for you.
Meet Ashlyn Thorn, born a vampire and more. Her sheltered life is torn apart by the death of her belov...more
J.A. Campbell
Origins is a fast paced, interesting and different take on a world where vampires and werewolves are out in the open.

The main character is young, and inexperienced, but she manages to step up and kick some ass. She screws up a few times, but ultimately the good guys win and she discovers a lot about herself in the process.

I highly recommend this to anyone who enjoys fast paced, well told stories. I also highly recommend it to anyone who likes Urban Fantasy and Young Adult :)
Shelly Wygant
Ashlyn doesn't quite know what she is. She has all the traits of a vampire and more. Her aunt has helped her hide away the first 17 years of her life. When she has to face the world things happen that she doesn't know how to handle. She is offered a job with the FBI and she takes it in hope that she can better understand her future. They help her better understand her vampire genetics and abilities. She also learns of abilities she didn't know she had.

Ashlyn character development was great. You...more
Cheryl
Mar 01, 2012 Cheryl marked it as to-read
Vampires. Werewolves. Elves. PERFECT.
VampireNovelFan
All the makings of a fabulous series!

I wasn't really sure what to expect with Sean Hayden's novel, but Origins (Demonkin #1) ended up being the perfect read for me over the weekend. The main character is Ashlyn Thorn. Right off the bat we learn that this is a world filled with vampires, elves, and werewolves, but she's a special case. She's a predator of the predators, finding sustenance on in supernatural blood. This gave me a Trinity Blood vibes a bit quite honestly.

After being sheltered all...more
Serena
Plot: Ashlyn isn’t sure exactly what she is. Everyone calls her a vampire but that doesn’t really explain everything about her. She doesn’t fit in with the vampire world, she has no master and she wasn’t MADE into a vampire. She doesn’t fit in with the human world because... well she drinks blood. and has talons. The FBI offers a job with them, being a kind of liason between the supe world and the FBI world. The fact that she doesn’t have a master makes her a perfect choice for the FBI. The plot...more
Julie Johnson
I really really enjoyed this book. The protagonist had a unique voice, and lots of wit. She was also deeply construed, multi-dimensional--and not fully into her power yet, which I liked. It's a bit of a coming-of-age tale, which I think gave the story depth. I do hope there is another book, starring her, that continues her development.

I also loved the 'spin' on the usual vampire tale. The plot held my interest and definitely surprised me here and there. It was very original and engaging.

I went...more
Jeannie Holbrook
We meet Ashley Thorn when her Aunt dies in a car accident. She has been sheltered all of her 17 years. She also happens to be a vampire, but not really. Still with me? She has most of the same qualities that a vampire has but with more gusto. She has to find a way to feed, a place to live and decide what she is going to do, all without help and nobody to turn to for help. So, our heroine does what any naive über vampire would do, she goes looking for food. Oh, did I forget to mention only blood...more
April Hollingworth
Review Courtesy of April Hollingworth

Origins is the first book in the Demonkin series, and it gets off to a roaring good start, and promises the delights of a brand new and brilliant series.

Opening Scene:

Prologue

Mary Elizabeth Thorn sighed as she layered the final stroke of her thirteenth coat of blood paint.

The Review:

Being different is not always good, especially when your food source is blood. Ashlyn is a seventeen year old girl, whose life gets turned upside down, when her beloved aunt is un...more
Talk Books To Me
5 spectacular stars!!!

‘Origins’ by Sean Hayden is a fast paced paranormal story that focuses on the vampire race as a species and its integration into the human world. Hayden sets the stage for a new fresh twist on vampire books; focussing on vampires and their hierarchies with in the race versus the stereotypical vampire book that focuses on lust, sex, and blood.

Hayden writes his characters with such emotion and detail that for most of the novel I felt I was right beside Ashlyn in her quest for...more
Connie
I had a blast reading "Origins," which tells the story of a teenage vampire who becomes an FBI agent. Sean Hayden had so much outside-the-box thinking in this book I'm surprised it fit on the pages. When the young heroine loses her aunt, who was also her source of nutrition, she realizes quickly she has led a sheltered, quiet life, but from that moment on there isn't a quiet moment. This one is just plain fun!
Rusty Fischer
What a GREAT book. Sean Hayden has crafted a tough but tender, brutal but thoughtful tale that turns the tables on everything you thought you knew about vampires. Or werewolves. Or demons. Or police procedurals. Or the FBI. Or mysteries... you get my point. This is SO much more than a vampire book and I can't say enough good things about. So what are you waiting for? Find out for yourself...
Amanda Lynn
Ashlyn Thorn is a breath of fresh air! After 17 years of a sheltered life, due to her vampiric tendencies, she is tragically left on her own.So, alone and unsure of herself what does our young fanged friend do? Does she find herself a beguiling young man to save her from her woes? Hell no. This girl comes from the depths of Sean Hayden's twisted imagination, fully equipped with a foul mouth and a bad ass attitude...eventually. She is not your average "damsel in distress". After a few hiccups, an...more
Julianna
When I received this book through goodreads first reads I didn't have very high expectations but I found this book very enjoyable. The story was very interesting and kept me reading til the end. My only problem is that what the girl really is is given away at the very beginning even though she doesn't know what she is herself. I will be looking forward to the sequel.
Eugene Gorodinsky
I'm honestly surprised. Two things surprise me most: that I haven't dropped this novel seeing how bad it is and that this book actually has an average rating above 3 stars. The first 10% of the book were the worst amalgamation of cliches I've ever seen. To the point where characters seem to talk in an absolutely nonsensical way just to spit out another cliche phrase. Thanfully the rest of the book is a little less cliched later on and I didn't feel like banging my head with a hammer just to make...more
Heidi
I received this book in return for an honest review. I have to say, Mr.Hayden is interfering with my jobs. I get so drawn in that I have a hard time coming up for air let alone focus and go to work or sleep! That being said, I loved this book! The characters and story are well thought out. Nobody in this book is a walking piece of perfection, but you grow to like them, flaws and all. The story moves fairly quickly. There are as few errors in editing, but nothing that distracts from the story. As...more
Readers Roundtable
4.5 Gold Crowns. Wow, wonderful, and a brilliant take on Vampires and other supernatural beings. Origins by Sean Hayden is a magnificent. To read the rest of this review, please visit http://thereadersroundtable.com/paran...
Kelly/yllektra
Nov 06, 2011 Kelly/yllektra marked it as to-read
Shelves: read-in-november
A vampire that is born, not made? o_0
Whoohoo, with Underworld:Awakening (movie) coming out next year for which I'm extremely excited, this sounds wicked!
Rev.dulce
This was a great book from a new author. I highly recommend it if you are into fantasy/vampire/demons kind of books.
Sally
Fantastic book. I couldn't stop reading it
Greg
Won this on the First Reads Giveways.
Lisa Hollar
This book drew me in from page one and I read it straight through, only stopping to feed my family and I think if I hadn't done that they would have rebelled. The story begins in the past with a woman who summons a demon, expecting him to do her bidding. As can be expected, things go wrong. Fastforward 17 years or so into the future, (not sure if the pregnancy was the standard 9 months or perhaps shorter,) and the reader meets Ashlyn. She doesn't know what she is. She's not human. She could be c...more
  • The Burning Bush (Santeria Habitat, #2)
  • The Twin Prophecies: Rebirth
  • Initiation (The Warrior, #1)
  • The Other Side of Life (Cyberpunk Elven Trilogy, #1)
  • Demon's Revenge (High Demon #5)
  • A Kiss of Blood (Vamp City, #2)
  • The Undead Heart (Blood Thirst, #1)
  • Jill Kismet: The Complete Series
  • Dante's Journey
  • Temptation (The Soul Collection, #1)
  • Perception (Tigers' Eye, #1)
  • Reining In (The Network, #1)
  • Eternal Shadows
  • Caressed by Moonlight (Rulers of Darkness, #1)
  • Kick the Candle (Knight Games, #2)
  • Vision
  • The Judging (The Corescu Chronicles #1)
  • The Guardian of Bastet
Born the son of a fire chief, Sean naturally developed a love of playing with fire. His family and friends quickly found other outlets for his destructive creativity. Writing is his latest endeavor.
Always a fan of the macabre, mythical, and magical, Sean found a love of urban fantasy and horror. After writing several novels in this genre, he found, fell in love with, and immersed himself in steamp...more
More about Sean Hayden...
My Soul to Keep (Rise of the Fallen, #1) The Games We Play Deceptions (Demonkin, #2) Lady Dorn Your Soul to Take (Rise of the Fallen, #2)