Start by marking “City Hawk: The Story of Pale Male” as Want to Read:
City Hawk: The Story of Pale Male

City Hawk: The Story of Pale Male

4.01  ·  Rating Details  ·  71 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
There's a hawk in the city!

New York City is known for its sky-scrapers, subways, and hustle and bustle -- not for its wildlife. So everyone is surprised when a red-tailed hawk is spotted flying over Fifth Avenue, and even more surprised when he decides to settle down on the ledge of one of the Big Apple's swankiest apartment buildings.

The hawk soon draws many admirers.
Published September 11th 2007 by Simon & Schuster/Paula Wiseman Books

To ask other readers questions about City Hawk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about City Hawk

Lisa Vegan
Feb 27, 2011 Lisa Vegan rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of birds, New York City, nature lovers; birdwatchers
Recommended to Lisa by: Kathryn
I’ve read at least three other books by the author-illustrator and immediately recognized her art style, which I do enjoy. Big eyed people, and in this one big eyed hawks too. I’ve never seen predator birds look so darn cute. They look friendly and adorable and harmless and gentle in this book. Which is fine, except if kids decide to go looking for the real hawks in and near New York City’s Central Park, they’re going to be in for a shock if they see them.

This is a terrific story with pictures f
Kathryn
Feb 11, 2011 Kathryn rated it really liked it
I've apparently been living under a rock because this is the first time I heard about the celebrity of the red-hawk world, Pale Male. He is not only the darling of New Yorkers' hearts, but the star of several websites, books and a documentary film. And why is he so famous? Because, instead of just bypassing New York City as do most other hawks (and other forms of wildlife), he decided to stop, and stay, and come back year after year to enjoy Central Park and his nest atop a ritzy 74th Street apa ...more
Barbara
Pair this delightful picture book with Jeanette Winter's The Tale of Pale Male and Janet Schulman's Pale Male: Citizen Hawk of New York City. The acrylic paint illustrations have a cartoonish quality to them with big-eyed birds and equally big-eyed gawking humans. The story tells how a red-tailed hawk was spotted in the city, which wasn't all that unusual. What intrigued the New Yorkers was that he and his mate built a nest high atop an exclusive and pricey apartment complex. The author focuses ...more
Amy Rae
Nov 08, 2014 Amy Rae rated it it was ok
Shelves: awesome-animals
I don't particularly care for Meghan McCarthy's bug-eyed art, and I wanted more about Pale Male and less about the people watching him. McCarthy's writing ended up feeling a little distanced from the subject for my tastes; I can't quite place why, unfortunately.

It's not a bad book, and the end notes are pretty interesting, but it's not one that worked for me.

eta: I guess I might as well mention that I picked up this book in part because I still harbour fond thoughts of Hawkmadinejad, and I didn'
Hannah Baumgartner
Apr 11, 2015 Hannah Baumgartner rated it it was amazing
I thought this picture book was cute and then I read the end pages, Learn More About Central Park, and the Author's Note. Now I think this book is amazing! It is based on a true story about a hawk that made New York City, Central Park, its home. Soon a female hawk came and they had two baby hawks. Many people and bird watchers loved admiring them because this is the first time they had seen other birds besides pigeons.

I loved this book because the Author, Meghan Mccarthy, put some really great
Courtney Kilbourn
Sep 21, 2014 Courtney Kilbourn rated it really liked it
An absolute must in the classroom, in my opinion. Not only does the book tell a nice tale about a bird family but it also takes the students across the world to New York City. The best thing about this book however is the very ending. After the story it has a full page of history about Central Park and where it originates. It is a useful and educational book with a happy and entertaining tale to go with it.
Matthew
Aug 22, 2015 Matthew rated it really liked it
Shelves: animal-books
This is a pretty great rendition of the story of Pale Male, the red-tailed hawk that lives next to Central Park. The text is simple enough and well organized. The end notes are extensive and as interesting as the rest of the text. This is a good example of the quality that Meghan McCarthy writes with. Really a worthwhile read.
Sarah Adamson
A quite fun picture book telling the story of the red tailed hawk spotted in New York. Nice if a bit comical illustrations, some quite complex words for the early reader but good and interesting exploration of the story.
Sarah Herrington
Apr 12, 2014 Sarah Herrington rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
I think it's a fascinating story- a hawk stopping in Central Park- and it's TRUE. But for some reason, it just wasn't my favorite.
Tobinsfavorite
Sep 19, 2010 Tobinsfavorite rated it it was ok
My son would give this 5 stars, no questions asked. He's 4. He insists he's named "Pale Male" this week. I read this almost every day.

The story here should be fascinating, but I'm just not grabbed by it. I'm not sure why, since I'll stop the car to see a raptor (falcon on the telephone line last week!). The background shading of the illustrations is wonderful to look at. I'm a bit sad I didn't love this book.
Jun 03, 2011 Laura rated it really liked it
I love Meghan McCarthy's work! Pale Male, a red-tailed hawk, was the first hawk to be documented living in New York City. He found a mate, built a nest, and raised a family in Central Park. This story has a bit less science or information than some of McCarthy's other works but it is no less charming. The book also includes author's notes about Central Park and Pale Male, as well as a complete bibliography.
Marianne
Aug 01, 2008 Marianne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jr-non-fiction
Excellent informational book about two red-tail hawks that build a nest in the middle of New York to raise their family. It creates a controversy between bird-watchers and the owner of the skyscraper and the city council. There is the story of this actual event at the end of the book that exlains more.
Amy
I liked how she told the story of Pale Male - very friendly for kids. I didn't love the illustration style here though because I thought it took away from the beauty of the hawk/park/everything.

We looked him up on Wikipedia after and were surprised to see he is still alive. 23 years old!
Jen
Aug 10, 2012 Jen rated it really liked it
Very neat story of a red-tailed hawk who lives in New York City and his mate who are admired by birdwatchers there. I take all these sites for granted as we live in the country where we see things like this daily, but not everyone does!
Julia
Sep 18, 2007 Julia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks, 2007
this book is some hot shit! And it's definitely the best of all FOUR recent/forthcoming picture books about Pale Male. And that has nothing to do with me being in the Central Park scene.
Marianne
Marianne rated it really liked it
May 01, 2016
librarianh20
librarianh20 rated it really liked it
Mar 08, 2016
Jana
Jana marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2016
Jayden Mahoney
Jayden Mahoney rated it it was amazing
Feb 06, 2016
Library Project
Library Project marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2016
A.
A. added it
Dec 29, 2015
Milo Brown
Milo Brown marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2015
Adamari
Adamari rated it it was amazing
Nov 18, 2015
Shema
Shema is currently reading it
Nov 16, 2015
Angelica
Angelica rated it liked it
Nov 07, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2015
Marcie
Marcie rated it it was amazing
Sep 01, 2015
Kristina
Kristina marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2015
Andrew
Andrew rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
196948
Children's book author of many wonderful fiction and nonfiction books for young readers, including the below following. Meghan's books have won the IRA-CBC Children's Choice, ALA Notable, Kirkus Reviews Reviewer's Choice, Booklist Best Books, NYPL 100 Best Books, SLJ Best Books, and so on. Blah blah blah, what Meghan really wants to do is drive really fast and jump in really long grass until she g ...more
More about Meghan Mccarthy...