City Hawk: The Story of Pale Male

City Hawk: The Story of Pale Male

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  50 ratings  ·  10 reviews
There's a hawk in the city!

New York City is known for its sky-scrapers, subways, and hustle and bustle -- not for its wildlife. So everyone is surprised when a red-tailed hawk is spotted flying over Fifth Avenue, and even more surprised when he decides to settle down on the ledge of one of the Big Apple's swankiest apartment buildings.

The hawk soon draws many admirers....more
Published September 11th 2007 by Simon & Schuster/Paula Wiseman Books

To ask other readers questions about City Hawk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about City Hawk

Kathryn
I've apparently been living under a rock because this is the first time I heard about the celebrity of the red-hawk world, Pale Male. He is not only the darling of New Yorkers' hearts, but the star of several websites, books and a documentary film. And why is he so famous? Because, instead of just bypassing New York City as do most other hawks (and other forms of wildlife), he decided to stop, and stay, and come back year after year to enjoy Central Park and his nest atop a ritzy 74th Street apa...more
Lisa Vegan
Feb 27, 2011 Lisa Vegan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of birds, New York City, nature lovers; birdwatchers
Recommended to Lisa by: Kathryn
I’ve read at least three other books by the author-illustrator and immediately recognized her art style, which I do enjoy. Big eyed people, and in this one big eyed hawks too. I’ve never seen predator birds look so darn cute. They look friendly and adorable and harmless and gentle in this book. Which is fine, except if kids decide to go looking for the real hawks in and near New York City’s Central Park, they’re going to be in for a shock if they see them.

This is a terrific story with pictures f...more
Barbara
Pair this delightful picture book with Jeanette Winter's The Tale of Pale Male and Janet Schulman's Pale Male: Citizen Hawk of New York City. The acrylic paint illustrations have a cartoonish quality to them with big-eyed birds and equally big-eyed gawking humans. The story tells how a red-tailed hawk was spotted in the city, which wasn't all that unusual. What intrigued the New Yorkers was that he and his mate built a nest high atop an exclusive and pricey apartment complex. The author focuses...more
Sarah Herrington
I think it's a fascinating story- a hawk stopping in Central Park- and it's TRUE. But for some reason, it just wasn't my favorite.
Tobinsfavorite
My son would give this 5 stars, no questions asked. He's 4. He insists he's named "Pale Male" this week. I read this almost every day.

The story here should be fascinating, but I'm just not grabbed by it. I'm not sure why, since I'll stop the car to see a raptor (falcon on the telephone line last week!). The background shading of the illustrations is wonderful to look at. I'm a bit sad I didn't love this book.
I love Meghan McCarthy's work! Pale Male, a red-tailed hawk, was the first hawk to be documented living in New York City. He found a mate, built a nest, and raised a family in Central Park. This story has a bit less science or information than some of McCarthy's other works but it is no less charming. The book also includes author's notes about Central Park and Pale Male, as well as a complete bibliography.
Marianne
Excellent informational book about two red-tail hawks that build a nest in the middle of New York to raise their family. It creates a controversy between bird-watchers and the owner of the skyscraper and the city council. There is the story of this actual event at the end of the book that exlains more.
Amy
I liked how she told the story of Pale Male - very friendly for kids. I didn't love the illustration style here though because I thought it took away from the beauty of the hawk/park/everything.

We looked him up on Wikipedia after and were surprised to see he is still alive. 23 years old!
Jen
Very neat story of a red-tailed hawk who lives in New York City and his mate who are admired by birdwatchers there. I take all these sites for granted as we live in the country where we see things like this daily, but not everyone does!
Julia
this book is some hot shit! And it's definitely the best of all FOUR recent/forthcoming picture books about Pale Male. And that has nothing to do with me being in the Central Park scene.
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Kristin Fraser
Kristin Fraser marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Kimberlyiston
Kimberlyiston marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2014
Charlotte
Charlotte marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2014
Alyse
Alyse marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2013
Michele Cousens
Michele Cousens marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2013
Rachel
Rachel added it
Oct 05, 2013
Shruti
Shruti added it
Sep 26, 2013
Children's Books
Children's Books marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2013
Debra
Debra marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2013
Kristen
Kristen marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2013
Lisa Marie
Lisa Marie marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2013
Rebecca Wenzler
Rebecca Wenzler marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
196948
Children's book author of many wonderful fiction and nonfiction books for young readers, including the below following. Meghan's books have won the IRA-CBC Children's Choice, ALA Notable, Kirkus Reviews Reviewer's Choice, Booklist Best Books, NYPL 100 Best Books, SLJ Best Books, and so on. Blah blah blah, what Meghan really wants to do is drive really fast and jump in really long grass until she g...more
More about Meghan Mccarthy...
Pop!: The Invention of Bubble Gum Daredevil: The Daring Life of Betty Skelton Aliens Are Coming!: The True Account Of The 1938 War Of The Worlds Radio Broadcast Astronaut Handbook The Incredible Life of Balto