Start by marking “Veins” as Want to Read:
Veins

Veins

3.58  ·  Rating Details  ·  577 Ratings  ·  82 Reviews
Veins is a humorous story about a man's life in Ohio.
Paperback, First Edition, 228 pages
Published March 2011 by Sharing Machine

To ask other readers questions about Veins, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Veins

rhea
Jul 27, 2011 rhea rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to rhea by: Geoffrey Gauchet
I knew almost nothing on this book when I started it, I know of the author (and his wife) from their various webcomics that I read on a daily basis. This was also the first book I read on the HP Touchpad through a Kindle app, I'll get to that experience after the book review. The book was a tragicomedy, some parts were definitely 2 stars for me and some parts were 4 stars. He definitely has a knack for making you laugh and cringe and sometimes at the same time. This story would work as a psychol ...more
Joey Comeau
Feb 25, 2012 Joey Comeau rated it really liked it
This book was really clever. The writing caught me up right away. I enjoy this style of funny prose, very straightforward and content based. I have a weakness for stories about people who don't really understand how to interact with the world properly, because they feel more true to life. I also have a weakness for absurdism. This book provided an intelligent mix of the two!

Written by Drew, of Toothpaste for Dinner, but with a different feeling from that comic, I think.
Katie
Mar 24, 2013 Katie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
I don't usually write reviews for books that I like. Maybe I am just better at shitting on things. I don't know what that says about me.

I didn't really know what this book was, when I started it - only that I liked the author. I don't know what I expected, but this wasn't it.

This is a book about That Guy.

It isn't funny the way Terry Pratchett is funny, or John Hodgman is funny. It's funny the way that Pictures For Sad Children is funny, funny in the way that life is absurd even when it's sad.

Vei
Eric
Aug 29, 2011 Eric rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction-novel
17 years ago, Forrest Gump came out in theaters. I remember I liked it, but then I discussed it with the mother of my girlfriend at the time. "It's ridiculous! He was rewarded for being stupid! That's not the way life works. You don't get to meet presidents and found successful companies if you're stupid." I'm paraphrasing, of course, but that's pretty close to what she said. It stuck with me, and pretty much ruined the movie for me.

Veins gives us the self-narrated story of another moron. Only
 Jessica
May 26, 2012 Jessica rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
Veins is an unusual book. In tone it's kind of like Catcher in the Rye, but rather than a self-indulgent rumination on the nature of beauty (or wintering ducks… f*** I can't stand CitR), it is instead a vicious social critique. Parts of it are darkly hilarious, parts are disturbing, parts are heartbreaking, but all of it seems to come out of nowhere. The narrator's voice is detached and non-descriptive, he simply relates the details of his life as though he were making a list. It's a testament t ...more
Good Zack
Nov 07, 2011 Good Zack rated it it was amazing
This is the most realistic book I've ever read in my entire life. It hits so close to home-- almost too close for the delicate and empathetic soul that I have-- one from which I have, in my maturation to adult, disallowed myself to go to my local supermarket alone around dusk during cold times of year for fear of breaking out crying at the sight of the crowd which pervades the city from which I hail, a city much like the Columbus described in Veins: a city filled with M.R.s, with pawn shop owner ...more
Amelia Chameleon
Apr 27, 2011 Amelia Chameleon rated it liked it
Not really a humor book as was described but interesting nonetheless. Honestly, I purchased this expecting to laugh. Instead there was a lot of cringing and if I think about it too much I could almost cry. Essentially through a series of wrong-place-at-the-wrong-time mistakes the narrator goes from an awkward (maybe slightly Aspberger's) boy harrassed at school and living in a dysfunctional home to being a convict. It was a little hard for me to read because I recognize the type of person that M ...more
Geoffrey Gauchet
Mar 09, 2012 Geoffrey Gauchet rated it really liked it
Very strange and surreal at times. Funny, even at times when it probably should've been sad. In the end it was a bit depressing, but overall I enjoyed it.

One word review: interesting.
Ben A
Jan 28, 2016 Ben A rated it liked it
I have to say this is a really weird book. It's funny at points but overall dark and I really didn't feel like it went anywhere.

I wouldn't have taken so long to read it if it didn't just bum me out so much sometimes, but I think that Drew was going for something here that would make people very uncomfortable.

This book is definitely not for everyone, but the humor of the book, especially in the first half is incredibly poignant and it made me laugh out loud. It reminded me of people I've known in
Toby Osbourn
Jan 02, 2015 Toby Osbourn rated it it was amazing
I recently rated this book a 5/5 here and I wanted to leave a slightly longer review than “5 stars” in case you are interested in reading this book at some point.

I have been a fan of “Drew Toothpaste” for a while, I used to regularly visit most of his sites and always got a good laugh out of them, I even owned a couple of t-shirts he had designed.

When I heard the book was first out several years ago I had one of those “I will definitely buy and read this book” moments, suffice to say it took unt
Eric
Sep 18, 2011 Eric rated it liked it
Veins is the first-person story of a young man named M.R., which in my line of work stands for mental retardation. He never speaks of having any developmental disability, but his actions and thoughts on life suggest a person who is quite unique...and quite in need of some intervention which he never receives.

The book is a hilarious read, though sometimes you feel bad at yourself for laughing at the unfortunate situations M.R. finds himself in.

Lots of people seem to think that this book is about
Charles Martin
Feb 29, 2016 Charles Martin rated it it was amazing
The only sensible way to describe Drew is to explain why he is not Charles Bukowski.
1. Though a dread of life permeates Veins, the narrator isn't defeated by it. He has been doomed by bad parenting, bad schooling, bad genetics, and essentially an entire community that has refused to raise a soft-hearted man completely incapable of raising himself. Motorcycle Dude isn't beyond resentment, but he refuses to be controlled by it.
2. The artistry in the words is more subtle and way more satisfying. Hi
Ana
Dec 17, 2014 Ana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm so conflicted about this book. I always loved Natalie Dee's comics when she was still drawing them. Her husband Drew had some web comics too (Toothpaste for Dinner and Married to the Sea) but his sense of humor didn't hit me as funny as hers did. I eventually started following him on Facebook because some other friends had shared funny posts of his. On December 7, he posted that his book was available for free on Amazon. I got it because I had heard good things about it. I'm so conflicted ab ...more
Chris Salzman
Jul 05, 2011 Chris Salzman rated it really liked it
Every time I found myself wanting to laugh while reading, I was quieted by how depressing of a situation Veins had found himself in. Every time I wanted to feel bad, I found myself wanting to laugh at how hilarious his take on life is. It's a heartbreaking book and very well written.

It reminds me a lot of Forrest Gump and the early/later chapters of Flowers for Algernon. You're following a mentally disabled man as he navigates a world he doesn't quite understand.
Jason
May 30, 2011 Jason rated it did not like it
Shelves: sf2011
mostly sucked. for an autobiography, it sure painted the author in a negative light.
Radicaleinzors
Oct 13, 2011 Radicaleinzors rated it did not like it
terrible. i'm sorry. i love their comics but this was just terrible.
Allen
May 25, 2011 Allen rated it really liked it
Pretty much the funniest, saddest, stupidest thing I've ever read.
Christopher
Mar 07, 2014 Christopher rated it it was amazing
The first thing to say is that I chose 5 stars because that correlates to "it was amazing" on the tool-tip and I thought it definitely was! However, obviously any review is subjective but with this in particular it's worth saying that I think this book would be entirely lost on some people. It's an odd brand of humour to put it lightly but an excellent one in my opinion.
It just falls on the right side of absurd/believable and you can see real life in there amongst the ridiculousness of the situa
Jason
Jul 17, 2011 Jason rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book because I enjoy the author's Toothpaste for Diner webcomic (and being so short and cheap, the investment was minimal).

The book shines as an outsider's view looking in. The protagonist has no real friends, essentially no family, and yet never stops trying to fit in no matter how much rejection he faces. His understanding of how the world should be is based on pop culture and very little reality, and when he's forced to reconcile the differences, it can be quite entertaining:

"Ever
Callie Leuck
Jun 20, 2013 Callie Leuck rated it really liked it
This is a book by Drew, the artist behind the comic "Toothpaste for Dinner," among others. The book is described as humorous... and it is, but in a sad way. The protagonist, M.R., is this guy who is so positive and tries to make his life better, and half the time that is what makes his life worse. All sorts of bad things happen to him, from a bad picture day his freshman year in high school leading to the entire school calling him Veins, to being falsely accused of his hard-partying brother's de ...more
Matthew Dowd
Feb 14, 2012 Matthew Dowd rated it liked it
I read this because I really enjoy Drew's comic, Toothpaste for Dinner. It's quite amusing, and since that is free and this is not, why not support the guy? I'm glad that I did, but this was not what I was expecting. That is not a complaint. It's a short and good read, especially if you like feeling a bit uncomfortable.

Every review I had read about this book fell into one of two camps: 'funniest thing ever, I snorted beer out of my nose' and 'total crap, what the fuck dude?'

I don't really think
Kanni
Feb 03, 2013 Kanni rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The book description is an ambiguous one-liner, "Veins is a humorous story about a man's life in Ohio." First of all, it was hardly humorous and second of all, it was the complete opposite - downright depressing and just plain weird!

Okay, I have to admit, there were a few parts that were smile inducing and perhaps even chuckle worthy, but most of it is questionable and so awkward. I was often uncomfortable reading it, wondering, "seriously, is this guy retarded?"

Veins is pathetic and unintellig
Alice Elizabeth
Oct 28, 2012 Alice Elizabeth rated it really liked it
I am a huge fan of Toothpaste for Dinner. I have been reading it since about 2006 and I’ll give a go to pretty much anything that Drew creates. I wasn’t too sure what to expect from Veins but I was hoping for some laughs and that warped yet honest way of viewing the world that TPFD has.

Veins certainly delivered. The story went to some darker places than I was expecting, definitely, but it was still funny and made plenty of astute observations. I don’t know if I can say that I enjoyed the book. T
Peter Derk
Jul 18, 2011 Peter Derk rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
This is a dual review, Veins by Drew, which I read on the iPad and is the first eBook I read on an eReader from start to finish.

Let's start with the book.

Drew is the hilariousness behind the web site Toothpaste For Dinner, a site that's been entertaining millions of my brain cells for years. In particular, check out this one. Or this one. Or, if those don't tickle your fancy, try fucking yourself.

Drew wrote a book, and here is that book.

It's written in a sort of diary format, following the main
Brenna
Nov 22, 2015 Brenna rated it did not like it
Reviews led me to believe two things about this book. The first that it was dark humor and the second, I would probably enjoy reading it. Neither of these assumptions were true. Maybe my profession working with the mentally ill and under privileged colored my view, but this book goes from bad to worse with no pay off for finishing it. The "humor" comes from fears and stereotyping those with disabilities. I honestly wish I hadn't read this and I don't think I have ever said that before.
Roxie Prince
Jun 16, 2015 Roxie Prince rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Somehow both funny and sad.

I've admired Drew's work for years, so I'm glad I finally got around to reading his novel. I don't know what I was expecting really, but it wasn't this. This book is funny, true to Drew-form, but it is also heartbreaking and honest. It's simple and sweet and makes you thankful, really, in a surprising way. It reads like a conversation you might have with a friend. (I read it all in one sitting.) I hope Drew will write more fiction in the future.
James Davenport
Feb 04, 2014 James Davenport rated it liked it
Read this book last night and this morning because it was a free download on kindle. It is weird. Interesting narrator and it's hard to tell what is reality. I can't help but think of some of the comments from drewtoothpaste.com when reading this book, the narration is in a similar style. Ending is a little anticlimactic, like it's all setting up for a big joke about Wendy's Superbar, when there is more to this book than that. Sad story that was darkly funny in some parts.
Pants
Dec 07, 2014 Pants rated it liked it
Amusing little tragicomedy.

I grabbed it on Amazon when Drew himself tweeted about it being free today. I installed the bloody kindle app to read it and I really hated its interface. To the point where if I hadn't been immediately so engrossed with this book, it would have been an issue.

So Veins > app annoyance.

This was rather like a realistic Forest Gump. Incredibly well done. I will most definitely read anything Drew decides to publish.
Alexandria
Oct 23, 2012 Alexandria rated it it was amazing
It's pretty simple. It's quite twisted. There are some moments where I physically cringed, especially at some of the awkward bits. I think it's successfully both funny and sad at the same time. I've never read a book even remotely like this before and because it was so different it took me a few days to kinda "digest" it. I still can't decide if I love the main character or if I'm creeped out by him, maybe both. He's both relatable and bizarre as fuck and I'd wager most of us have met at least o ...more
Paul Hinman
Catcher in the rye of ignorance

Interesting read. Not fantastic, but entertaining for sure. Imagine if Ignatius from "a confederency of dances" starred in "a catcher in the rye"

Despite being quite a terrible person you can't help but feel some level of compassion (or perhaps pity) for MR. Even when he is simply too stupid to see that he is the reason for the terrible things happening to him.
  • The Summer is Ended and We Are Not Yet Saved
  • The Perfect Fool
  • The Bialy Pimps
  • Scratch
  • Post-Apocalyptic Nomadic Warriors: A Duck & Cover Adventure
  • Typographic Systems of Design
  • Technologized Desire: Selfhood and the Body in Postcapitalist Science Fiction
  • Fade to White (Clarkesworld, Issue 71, August 2012)
  • Fires of Our Choosing
  • The Erotic Silence of the American Wife
  • Eddie Izzard: Dress to Kill
  • You Wish...
  • I'd Sooner Starve!
Drew is a webcomics artist and is the creator of www.toothpastefordinner.com. He also has published collections of his comic art.

His wife Nataliee Dee is the creater of www.natalieedee.com. Also, together they collaborate on a webcomic called www.marriedtothesea.com.
More about Drew...

“It's like you're born and they put eggs and index cards and fish in a blender, and you have to drink it. Every sip is worse, but you have to keep going every day. The last sip is horrible and then the glass is empty, and life's over.” 1 likes
“Police can get you for any reason, so when you go in a building and it's red/white/blue everywhere, it makes you wonder if someone's going to jump out with handcuffs. When you say "I'm just here for the job" the cop throws you a meth, and you catch it, and then he snaps on the handcuffs. "You're arrested. Meth. It's time to come downtown.” 1 likes