Start by marking “Veins” as Want to Read:
Veins

Veins

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  460 ratings  ·  74 reviews
Veins is a humorous story about a man's life in Ohio.
Paperback, First Edition, 228 pages
Published March 2011 by Sharing Machine

To ask other readers questions about Veins, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Veins

rhea
Jul 27, 2011 rhea rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to rhea by: Geoffrey Gauchet
I knew almost nothing on this book when I started it, I know of the author (and his wife) from their various webcomics that I read on a daily basis. This was also the first book I read on the HP Touchpad through a Kindle app, I'll get to that experience after the book review. The book was a tragicomedy, some parts were definitely 2 stars for me and some parts were 4 stars. He definitely has a knack for making you laugh and cringe and sometimes at the same time. This story would work as a psychol ...more
Eric
17 years ago, Forrest Gump came out in theaters. I remember I liked it, but then I discussed it with the mother of my girlfriend at the time. "It's ridiculous! He was rewarded for being stupid! That's not the way life works. You don't get to meet presidents and found successful companies if you're stupid." I'm paraphrasing, of course, but that's pretty close to what she said. It stuck with me, and pretty much ruined the movie for me.

Veins gives us the self-narrated story of another moron. Only
Joey Comeau
This book was really clever. The writing caught me up right away. I enjoy this style of funny prose, very straightforward and content based. I have a weakness for stories about people who don't really understand how to interact with the world properly, because they feel more true to life. I also have a weakness for absurdism. This book provided an intelligent mix of the two!

Written by Drew, of Toothpaste for Dinner, but with a different feeling from that comic, I think.
 Jessica
Veins is an unusual book. In tone it's kind of like Catcher in the Rye, but rather than a self-indulgent rumination on the nature of beauty (or wintering ducks… f*** I can't stand CitR), it is instead a vicious social critique. Parts of it are darkly hilarious, parts are disturbing, parts are heartbreaking, but all of it seems to come out of nowhere. The narrator's voice is detached and non-descriptive, he simply relates the details of his life as though he were making a list. It's a testament t ...more
Good Zack
This is the most realistic book I've ever read in my entire life. It hits so close to home-- almost too close for the delicate and empathetic soul that I have-- one from which I have, in my maturation to adult, disallowed myself to go to my local supermarket alone around dusk during cold times of year for fear of breaking out crying at the sight of the crowd which pervades the city from which I hail, a city much like the Columbus described in Veins: a city filled with M.R.s, with pawn shop owner ...more
Mia
Not really a humor book as was described but interesting nonetheless. Honestly, I purchased this expecting to laugh. Instead there was a lot of cringing and if I think about it too much I could almost cry. Essentially through a series of wrong-place-at-the-wrong-time mistakes the narrator goes from an awkward (maybe slightly Aspberger's) boy harrassed at school and living in a dysfunctional home to being a convict. It was a little hard for me to read because I recognize the type of person that M ...more
Geoffrey Gauchet
Very strange and surreal at times. Funny, even at times when it probably should've been sad. In the end it was a bit depressing, but overall I enjoyed it.

One word review: interesting.
Katie
I don't usually write reviews for books that I like. Maybe I am just better at shitting on things. I don't know what that says about me.

I didn't really know what this book was, when I started it - only that I liked the author. I don't know what I expected, but this wasn't it.

This is a book about That Guy.

It isn't funny the way Terry Pratchett is funny, or John Hodgman is funny. It's funny the way that Pictures For Sad Children is funny, funny in the way that life is absurd even when it's sad.

Vei
Eric Sundquist
Veins is the first-person story of a young man named M.R., which in my line of work stands for mental retardation. He never speaks of having any developmental disability, but his actions and thoughts on life suggest a person who is quite unique...and quite in need of some intervention which he never receives.

The book is a hilarious read, though sometimes you feel bad at yourself for laughing at the unfortunate situations M.R. finds himself in.

Lots of people seem to think that this book is about
Ana
I'm so conflicted about this book. I always loved Natalie Dee's comics when she was still drawing them. Her husband Drew had some web comics too (Toothpaste for Dinner and Married to the Sea) but his sense of humor didn't hit me as funny as hers did. I eventually started following him on Facebook because some other friends had shared funny posts of his. On December 7, he posted that his book was available for free on Amazon. I got it because I had heard good things about it. I'm so conflicted ab ...more
Chris Salzman
Every time I found myself wanting to laugh while reading, I was quieted by how depressing of a situation Veins had found himself in. Every time I wanted to feel bad, I found myself wanting to laugh at how hilarious his take on life is. It's a heartbreaking book and very well written.

It reminds me a lot of Forrest Gump and the early/later chapters of Flowers for Algernon. You're following a mentally disabled man as he navigates a world he doesn't quite understand.
Toby Osbourn
I recently rated this book a 5/5 here and I wanted to leave a slightly longer review than “5 stars” in case you are interested in reading this book at some point.

I have been a fan of “Drew Toothpaste” for a while, I used to regularly visit most of his sites and always got a good laugh out of them, I even owned a couple of t-shirts he had designed.

When I heard the book was first out several years ago I had one of those “I will definitely buy and read this book” moments, suffice to say it took unt
Jason
mostly sucked. for an autobiography, it sure painted the author in a negative light.
Radicaleinzors
terrible. i'm sorry. i love their comics but this was just terrible.
Allen
Pretty much the funniest, saddest, stupidest thing I've ever read.
Christopher
The first thing to say is that I chose 5 stars because that correlates to "it was amazing" on the tool-tip and I thought it definitely was! However, obviously any review is subjective but with this in particular it's worth saying that I think this book would be entirely lost on some people. It's an odd brand of humour to put it lightly but an excellent one in my opinion.
It just falls on the right side of absurd/believable and you can see real life in there amongst the ridiculousness of the situa
Jason
I read this book because I enjoy the author's Toothpaste for Diner webcomic (and being so short and cheap, the investment was minimal).

The book shines as an outsider's view looking in. The protagonist has no real friends, essentially no family, and yet never stops trying to fit in no matter how much rejection he faces. His understanding of how the world should be is based on pop culture and very little reality, and when he's forced to reconcile the differences, it can be quite entertaining:

"Ever
Callie Leuck
This is a book by Drew, the artist behind the comic "Toothpaste for Dinner," among others. The book is described as humorous... and it is, but in a sad way. The protagonist, M.R., is this guy who is so positive and tries to make his life better, and half the time that is what makes his life worse. All sorts of bad things happen to him, from a bad picture day his freshman year in high school leading to the entire school calling him Veins, to being falsely accused of his hard-partying brother's de ...more
Matthew Dowd
I read this because I really enjoy Drew's comic, Toothpaste for Dinner. It's quite amusing, and since that is free and this is not, why not support the guy? I'm glad that I did, but this was not what I was expecting. That is not a complaint. It's a short and good read, especially if you like feeling a bit uncomfortable.

Every review I had read about this book fell into one of two camps: 'funniest thing ever, I snorted beer out of my nose' and 'total crap, what the fuck dude?'

I don't really think
Kanni
The book description is an ambiguous one-liner, "Veins is a humorous story about a man's life in Ohio." First of all, it was hardly humorous and second of all, it was the complete opposite - downright depressing and just plain weird!

Okay, I have to admit, there were a few parts that were smile inducing and perhaps even chuckle worthy, but most of it is questionable and so awkward. I was often uncomfortable reading it, wondering, "seriously, is this guy retarded?"

Veins is pathetic and unintellig
Alice Elizabeth
I am a huge fan of Toothpaste for Dinner. I have been reading it since about 2006 and I’ll give a go to pretty much anything that Drew creates. I wasn’t too sure what to expect from Veins but I was hoping for some laughs and that warped yet honest way of viewing the world that TPFD has.

Veins certainly delivered. The story went to some darker places than I was expecting, definitely, but it was still funny and made plenty of astute observations. I don’t know if I can say that I enjoyed the book. T
Peter Derk
This is a dual review, Veins by Drew, which I read on the iPad and is the first eBook I read on an eReader from start to finish.

Let's start with the book.

Drew is the hilariousness behind the web site Toothpaste For Dinner, a site that's been entertaining millions of my brain cells for years. In particular, check out this one. Or this one. Or, if those don't tickle your fancy, try fucking yourself.

Drew wrote a book, and here is that book.

It's written in a sort of diary format, following the main
James Davenport
Read this book last night and this morning because it was a free download on kindle. It is weird. Interesting narrator and it's hard to tell what is reality. I can't help but think of some of the comments from drewtoothpaste.com when reading this book, the narration is in a similar style. Ending is a little anticlimactic, like it's all setting up for a big joke about Wendy's Superbar, when there is more to this book than that. Sad story that was darkly funny in some parts.
Pants
Amusing little tragicomedy.

I grabbed it on Amazon when Drew himself tweeted about it being free today. I installed the bloody kindle app to read it and I really hated its interface. To the point where if I hadn't been immediately so engrossed with this book, it would have been an issue.

So Veins > app annoyance.

This was rather like a realistic Forest Gump. Incredibly well done. I will most definitely read anything Drew decides to publish.
Alexandria
It's pretty simple. It's quite twisted. There are some moments where I physically cringed, especially at some of the awkward bits. I think it's successfully both funny and sad at the same time. I've never read a book even remotely like this before and because it was so different it took me a few days to kinda "digest" it. I still can't decide if I love the main character or if I'm creeped out by him, maybe both. He's both relatable and bizarre as fuck and I'd wager most of us have met at least o ...more
Paul Hinman
Catcher in the rye of ignorance

Interesting read. Not fantastic, but entertaining for sure. Imagine if Ignatius from "a confederency of dances" starred in "a catcher in the rye"

Despite being quite a terrible person you can't help but feel some level of compassion (or perhaps pity) for MR. Even when he is simply too stupid to see that he is the reason for the terrible things happening to him.
Kav Van der linden
I've been a fan of Drew's comic, Toothpaste for Dinner, for almost a decade now. So naturally I wanted to read his book. He did not disappoint.

It's about a man, whom everyone calls Veins due to the unkindness of pubescent children, with an unmentioned mental disorder who was handed a very raw deal in life and how his misadventures lead him into awful, awful situations. I really want to omit the details because this book, I imagine, is much better if you start out not knowing exactly who Veins is
Nate Trier
I know Drew from his webcomic and his music (which are both clever and also sometimes delightfully misanthropic), so I wasn't sure of what to expect from a debut self-published novel. I finished it in just a couple of days, which is a good sign, and about a third of the way into it I felt like I really knew the character - which is quite a feat, given that Drew's protagonist is a somewhat creepy individual who makes poor decisions - someone we may try to avoid sitting next to on the bus. But Dre ...more
Jana Eichhorn
Like an alternate reality, modern day Catcher in the Rye, only Holden Caulfield is short-bus-special. I hate Catcher in the Rye.
Sophie
I love Drew so much. I've been reading toothpastefordinner since 2006 and I follow everything he does very closely.
And the idea behind this book was good, quite funny, but the writing style got pretty tedious after a while. The conclusion isn't really enough of a payoff for having waded through it.
I want everyone to buy it, because I want everyone to support Drew and Natalie in their efforts, but it's hard to recommend to people...
  • The Bialy Pimps
  • The Perfect Fool
  • Scratch
  • Post-Apocalyptic Nomadic Warriors: A Duck & Cover Adventure
  • Fires of Our Choosing
  • Rosy Is My Relative
  • The Mammoth Book of Bizarre Crimes
  • Black Butterfly (Lucifer Box, #3)
  • Get the Sugar Out: 501 Simple Ways to Cut the Sugar Out of Any Diet
  • Joe Vampire
  • Otogizoshi: The Fairy Tale Book of Dazai Osamu
  • Sex Is Fun!: Creative Ideas for Exciting Sex
  • Hubble: Imaging Space and Time
Drew is a webcomics artist and is the creator of www.toothpastefordinner.com. He also has published collections of his comic art.

His wife Nataliee Dee is the creater of www.natalieedee.com. Also, together they collaborate on a webcomic called www.marriedtothesea.com.
More about Drew...
Toothpaste for Dinner Married to the Sea: Victorian Newspaper Art Gone Wrong Toothpaste For Dinner Volume 1 Mad Drew: Beyond Coffeedome (The Hilarious Tale of Life in the New Economy) America Is

“It's like you're born and they put eggs and index cards and fish in a blender, and you have to drink it. Every sip is worse, but you have to keep going every day. The last sip is horrible and then the glass is empty, and life's over.” 0 likes