Start by marking “HBR's 10 Must Reads on Change Management (Including Featured Article "Leading Change," by John P. Kotter)” as Want to Read:

HBR's 10 Must Reads on Change Management (HBR's 10 Must Reads)

Most company's change initiatives fail. Yours don't have to.
If you read nothing else on change, read these 10 articles. We've combed through hundreds of Harvard Business Review articles and selected the most important ones to help you spearhead change in your organization.
HBR's 10 Must Reads on Change will inspire you to:
- Lead change through eight critical stages
- Est
Published February 24th 2011 by Harvard Business School Press

To ask other readers questions about HBR's 10 Must Reads on Change Management, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about HBR's 10 Must Reads on Change Management

Carolina Esteves de Andrade
I just invested in myself with the HBR’S 10 Must Reads Collection by Harvard Business Review Press. This series is really good because each book has 10 of the best articles published by Harvard University on each topic. I think it is a must read for any ambitious manager, new or experienced leader.

It is easy to read, each book has approximately 300 pages. Each chapter is an article from great authors such as Peter F. Drucker, Theodore Levitt, Robert S. Kaplan, David P. Norton and others. One of
Rich Schmaltz
Nov 11, 2016 Rich Schmaltz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this to help me with some major change initiatives I am dealing with at work. This book was a compilation of articles from different authors and I really liked some of the articles, but a few weren't very good in my opinion. Overall a very helpful read and applicable to the reorganizations at work and other changes were trying to bring about in a large organization.
Anshul Thakur
Oct 08, 2013 Anshul Thakur rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
They are definitely a good read if you are looking for guidance. While some articles (mainly collaborations or case studies of how the programs devised by the authors worked wonders) did beat around the bush, it is the veterans like Christensen Clayton, Kaplan and Norton, Kotter, Peter Drucker and many others who moved my heart through beautiful prose in argument. A real story is often more influential than those with ‘A construction company in America’ type of themes and yet some researchers ha ...more
Ryan
Jul 20, 2012 Ryan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book. Provides several papers on effective change management. There are a few standouts (The Real Reason People Won't Change, Why Change Programs Dont Produce Change) and a few that are a little less so (A Survival Guide for Leaders). Some of the papers in this book skip around the really hard issue of change that results in loss of headcount- so obviously in parts that its kind of annoying.

The best way to approach the lessons in this book is by imagining you dont currently do anything
Andrew
May 25, 2016 Andrew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Any book that has "Must Read" in its title had better deliver the goods. I can say that HBR's book on Change Management definitely delivers. The book is very well written, extremely concise, and absolutely enlightening. Indeed, I had to put the book down several times to ponder its valuable lessons. I really should have read this book ten years ago, and am disappointed that this book was not required reading during my MBA curriculum. Whether you are headed to business school or not, I would reco ...more
Kara
Dec 18, 2015 Kara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good collection of essays if you don't know a lot about change management. However, it seems limited to how leaders oversee change management, which is not so different from the study of good leadership. I was more interested in how a professional would oversee more "nuts and bolts" change management, and that's not what this book is.
James
Sep 23, 2013 James rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Instead of reading one author's take on change management, the reader was exposed to ten articles that serve to give the reader exactly the viewpoints he needs. Some articles clashed and others agreed and complemented one another and that is the beauty of HBR's collection and most representative of what reality is.
Playhead
It's a pretty good summary of articles. I liked it and I thought it had many different perspectives on change. But I'm anal and therefore like to read more on each point of view. But it's a good starting point.
Sue Blanchard
May 28, 2013 Sue Blanchard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I bought and read this book last year for an MBA paper I was writing. It repeats Kotter's steps for making change happen; otherwise, the book focuses on the findings of academic papers published by the authors who contribute to the book.
John Uzzi
Lots of redundancy and a surprising lack of data. The final article from 1990 by Michael Beer et.al. is a classic though.
Saikrishna Chaitanya
Good book for the people who wants to know about change management.

Gives insight on the change that modified the organization structure of big companies.
Pedro Calmell
Bah. I'd only recommend a book like this if you've never read anything about change management. It's a decent crash course on the topic but doesn't add anything too critical.
Dave
Dec 11, 2012 Dave rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
No one does meaningless business jargon and multi-step process management tools like the Harvard Business Review! That's pretty much all I can say about that.
Paul Vespo
Paul Vespo rated it liked it
Jul 26, 2014
Chang Hsien Liu
Chang Hsien Liu rated it it was amazing
Sep 09, 2016
Kevin J
Kevin J rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2014
Michael Caple,
Michael Caple, rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2014
Bandar Alghamdi
Bandar Alghamdi rated it liked it
May 22, 2014
Ashish Raghav
Ashish Raghav rated it liked it
Jun 24, 2012
Elizabeth Perlin
Elizabeth Perlin rated it it was amazing
Dec 29, 2014
Kathleen Mills
Kathleen Mills rated it it was ok
Oct 03, 2013
Vineet
Vineet rated it really liked it
Nov 21, 2015
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it really liked it
Sep 06, 2014
Mike
Mike rated it really liked it
Aug 12, 2014
Charmaine Roberts
Charmaine Roberts rated it liked it
Jul 28, 2015
Layla
Layla rated it it was amazing
Dec 15, 2016
Steve
Steve rated it it was ok
May 05, 2012
Daniel Hendrianto
Daniel Hendrianto rated it really liked it
Jul 26, 2012
Red Sarracino
Red Sarracino rated it it was amazing
Dec 13, 2015
Brian Lyke
Brian Lyke rated it liked it
Apr 03, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Key Performance Indicators: The 75 Measures Every Manager Needs to Know
  • The Heart of Change: Real-Life Stories of How People Change Their Organizations
  • The Wisdom of Failure: How to Learn the Tough Leadership Lessons Without Paying the Price
  • Harvard Business Review on Effective Communication
  • Transformational Leadership
  • Dealing with Difficult People
  • The Boston Consulting Group on Strategy: Classic Concepts and New Perspectives
  • The Introverted Leader: Building on Your Quiet Strength
  • Winners Never Cheat: Even in Difficult Times
  • The Heart of Change Field Guide: Tools And Tactics for Leading Change in Your Organization
  • Enterprise Architecture As Strategy: Creating a Foundation for Business Execution
  • Sensemaking in Organizations
  • On Who Is God?
  • Say It with Presentations: How to Design and Deliver Successful Business Presentations
  • Critical Library Instruction: Theories and Methods
  • Understanding Rhetoric: A Graphic Guide to Writing
  • Democratizing Innovation (MIT Press)
  • The 4 Disciplines of Execution: Achieving Your Wildly Important Goals

HBR's 10 Must Reads (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • HBR's 10 Must Reads 2015: The Definitive Management Ideas of the Year from Harvard Business Review (with bonus McKinsey Award–Winning article "The Focused Leader") (HBR’s 10 Must Reads)
  • HBR's 10 Must Reads 2016: The Definitive Management Ideas of the Year from Harvard Business Review (with bonus McKinsey Award–Winning article "Profits Without Prosperity”) (HBR’s 10 Must Reads)
  • HBR's 10 Must Reads on Change
  • HBR's 10 Must Reads on Collaboration (with featured article “Social Intelligence and the Biology of Leadership,” by Daniel Goleman and Richard Boyatzis)
  • HBR's 10 Must Reads on Communication (with featured article “The Necessary Art of Persuasion,” by Jay A. Conger)
  • On Emotional Intelligence (HBR's 10 Must Reads)
  • HBR'S 10 Must Reads: The Essentials
  • HBR's 10 Must Reads on Innovation (with featured article “The Discipline of Innovation,” by Peter F. Drucker)
  • HBR's 10 Must Reads on Leadership (with featured article “What Makes an Effective Executive,” by Peter F. Drucker)
  • HBR's 10 Must Reads on Making Smart Decisions (with featured article �Before You Make That Big Decision…� by Daniel Kahneman, Dan Lovallo, and Olivier Sibony)

“How to make change stick? Conduct a four-stage persuasion campaign: 1) Prepare your organization’s cultural “soil” months before setting your turnaround plan in concrete—by convincing employees that your company can survive only through radical change. 2) Present your plan—explaining in detail its purpose and expected impact. 3) After executing the plan, manage employees’ emotions by acknowledging the pain of change—while keeping people focused on the hard work ahead. 4) As the turnaround starts generating results, reinforce desired behavioral changes to prevent backsliding.” 0 likes
“It’s tempting to go it alone when leading a change initiative. There’s no one to dilute your ideas or share the glory, and it’s often just plain exciting. It’s also foolish. You need to recruit partners, people who can help protect you from attacks and who can point out potentially fatal flaws in your strategy or initiative. Moreover, you are far less vulnerable when you are out on the point with a bunch of folks rather than alone. You also need to keep the opposition close. Knowing what your opponents are thinking can help you challenge them more effectively and thwart their attempts to upset your agenda—or allow you to borrow ideas that will improve your initiative. Have coffee once a week with the person most dedicated to seeing you fail.” 0 likes