Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  287 ratings  ·  15 reviews
H.P. Lovecraft écrivit en 1921: "Nyarlathotep est un cauchemar, un véritable phantasme issu de mon inconscient; le premier paragraphe a été écrit alors que je n'étais pas encore complètement réveillé."
Dans ces cinq nouvelles, l'auteur restitue l'état visionnaire du rêve, sa cosmogonie et topographie particulières.
Ce sont des petits chefs-d'œuvre de l'angoisse.
Published January 28th 2011 by Editions de L'Herne (first published November 1920)

To ask other readers questions about Nyarlathotep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nyarlathotep

Andrew
While the story itself is only so-so and ends in confused horror, this Lovecraft classic created one of his most personable, lasting, and sinister characters. It also contains the line, "the hellish moon-glitter of evil snows," which demands respect. Not a bad 5 minute read at all!
Andrond

Nyarlathotep is a lucid descent into a horrifying reality of bottomless insanity. It describes the ascent of an old powerful Race of Gods who ruled the Earth millions of years ago, who are again brought to life by Nyarlathotep, who has a human form but is in fact one of them, a sort of sleeper cell -gatekeeper. The destruction of the world and mental annihilation of mankind are the dire consequences of this catastrophic comeback.
A political and social upheaval already ravages the civilized world...more
Colleen
I love this story. Written in 1920, probably published in 1921. This prose poem, just two pages long, is another from Lovecraft's dreams. Apparently, he wrote the first paragraph before even being entirely awake. While there are no explicit descriptions of Nyarlathotep, this story creeps me right out. The brevity actually makes the whole story much scarier. The story is so sudden. There is no exposition at all, no explanation. And, to me at least, horrifying things that have no cause always seem...more
Antonius
"[...]we beheld around us the hellish moon-glitter of evil snows.[...]whirled blindly past ghastly midnights of rotting creation, corpses of dead worlds with sores that were cities, charnel winds that brush the pallid stars and make them flicker low."

Riveting, and horrifying. Such an epic and dense poem that packs so much punch in less than 6 pages - two in my anthology. There is immediate confusion at what is being introduced-- how it is being introduced. This is all Lovecraft's expert flowing...more
Edgar Roberts
Nyarlathotep was the first Lovecraft story to give me nightmares; the mentions of him being soul of the Other Gods brought me back to this story in fascination like a good one ought to. I've found myself genuinely scared of any mention of Nyarlathotep in a book.
(The nightmare, to those wanting to know, was that my face was bitten off by a group of small monsters possibly taken in my mind from another scary tale, Pickman's Model, and I was shown my body, which was yellow with a flat, featureles...more
Shane Simmons
Most Lovecraft stories are rather strange, so it's no surprise that this one is pretty bizarre. It is also quite short, taking perhaps 10 minutes to read, at most.

This story is centered on Nyarlathotep, a sinister, mysterious otherworldly figure who travels from town to town -- bringing unrest, terror and madness wherever he travels.

Not my favorite Lovecraft story, but it's worth reading.
Space
Just wow. You can feel this short story clawing at you. Digging into you, driving you mad. The first story I've read by Lovecraft that pushed away from the rest, far, far away.
Kyle Watts
Definitely recommend reading this before reading Lovecraft's most popular work "Call of Cthulu" It's about a being, an ancient Egyptian Pharaoh by his account, going around the world showing off his otherworldly powers.
Why I love this book is for Lovecraft's use of imagery and dark imagination to bring to life a monster that he never really describes. He can have his reader existing in a real world (albeit the past) and then suddenly plunge them into a world of chaos and subconscious nightmares...more
Angie
Interesting format for a short, quite lyrical, Lovecraft poem about a long-gone Pharaoh, who emerges from his own tomb to hypnotize the world with his apocalyptic visions of gods coming from the void of space...awesome stuff!
Justin Thickston
Quite short. I read this aloud over some Metallica. Doom, inevitability, and disbelieving despair done the HP way.
Myss-Syckness
Weird. Not one of my favourites by H.P. Lovecraft. I actually listened to the audiobook on my Blackberry.
Marts  (Thinker)
Nyarlathotep wanders Earth gathering followers, even the narrator is finally overcome by his power...
Irene
Ni siquiera sé lo que esperaba de esta corta historia, pero sin duda no fue buena.
A slower-moving Lovecraft story about an ancient being spreading madness.
Kevin Richey
Short prose-poem about a dream-world apocalypse. Creepy and bizarre.
Kate
Kate added it
Aug 26, 2014
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Paper
Paper added it
Aug 13, 2014
RJ (ryan)
RJ (ryan) marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
  • The Phoenix on the Sword
  • Wonder Tales: The Book of Wonder and Tales of Wonder
  • The Mammoth Book of Extreme Science Fiction
  • Rico Slade Will Fucking Kill You
  • The Empty House and Other Ghost Stories
  • Engineering Infinity
  • The Hard SF Renaissance
  • Great Ghost Stories (Thrift Editions)
  • Marvel Masterworks: The Amazing Spider-Man, Vol. 2
  • Nebula Awards Showcase 2011 (Nebula Awards, #12)
  • The Doom Magnetic! Trilogy
  • Sam
  • Love and Fuck Poems
  • Bullets and Fire
Howard Phillips Lovecraft, of Providence, Rhode Island, was an American author of horror, fantasy and science fiction.

Lovecraft's major inspiration and invention was cosmic horror: life is incomprehensible to human minds and the universe is fundamentally alien. Those who genuinely reason, like his protagonists, gamble with sanity. Lovecraft has developed a cult following for his Cthulhu Mythos, a...more
More about H.P. Lovecraft...
The Best of H.P. Lovecraft: Bloodcurdling Tales of Horror and the Macabre The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories At the Mountains of Madness and Other Tales of Terror At the Mountains of Madness The Call of Cthulhu

“And where Nyarlathotep went, rest vanished, for the small hours were rent with the screams of nightmare.” 6 likes