Start by marking “Nyarlathotep” as Want to Read:

3.54  ·  Rating Details  ·  573 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
H.P. Lovecraft écrivit en 1921: "Nyarlathotep est un cauchemar, un véritable phantasme issu de mon inconscient; le premier paragraphe a été écrit alors que je n'étais pas encore complètement réveillé."
Dans ces cinq nouvelles, l'auteur restitue l'état visionnaire du rêve, sa cosmogonie et topographie particulières.
Ce sont des petits chefs-d'œuvre de l'angoisse.
Nook, 0 pages
Published January 28th 2011 by Editions de L'Herne (first published November 1920)

To ask other readers questions about Nyarlathotep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nyarlathotep

⊱ Irena ⊰
Feb 17, 2015 ⊱ Irena ⊰ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
3.5
Nyarlathotep
Nyarlathotep, or the Crawling Chaos, is a gate keeper of sorts and he opens the way for other gods. He has many forms, but in this story he appears as a "tall, swarthy man" who seems to have more knowledge than anyone our narrator or people around him know.
Supposedly he arrived from Egypt and he travels around demonstrating strange things and making people have nightmares. The narrator himself becomes one of his followers.
Stuart Slingsby
Apr 21, 2015 Stuart Slingsby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What I like about this story is that it seems almost like an epilogue to his mythos stories. The mythos in his other stories(like Call of Cthulhu, Dunwich, etc) sort of has rumblings that the end is sort of inching slowly toward us, but here the end has been blown wide open in a gaping abyss and is swallowing us up even as the narrator tells the story. In making a Lovecraft anthology, I'd stick this story at the end of the book.

Nyarlathotep is easily my favorite Lovcraftian deity, an ageless sha
Andrew
While the story itself is only so-so and ends in confused horror, this Lovecraft classic created one of his most personable, lasting, and sinister characters. It also contains the line, "the hellish moon-glitter of evil snows," which demands respect. Not a bad 5 minute read at all!
Andrond
May 07, 2014 Andrond rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Nyarlathotep is a lucid descent into a horrifying reality of bottomless insanity. It describes the ascent of an old powerful Race of Gods who ruled the Earth millions of years ago, who are again brought to life by Nyarlathotep, who has a human form but is in fact one of them, a sort of sleeper cell -gatekeeper. The destruction of the world and mental annihilation of mankind are the dire consequences of this catastrophic comeback.
A political and social upheaval already ravages the civilized world
Marco
Aug 11, 2015 Marco rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: supernatural
This short story introduces one of Lovecraft's recurring "characters": Nyarlathotep. He is here described as a tall, swarthy man who resembles an ancient Egyptian pharaoh. In this story he wanders the earth, seemingly gathering legions of followers, the narrator of the story among them, through his demonstrations of strange and seemingly magical instruments. These followers lose awareness of the world around them, and through the narrator's increasingly unreliable accounts the reader gets an imp ...more
Irene
Jun 27, 2013 Irene rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Ni siquiera sé lo que esperaba de esta corta historia, pero sin duda no fue buena.
Toolshed
Feb 09, 2016 Toolshed rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I simply gotta rate this on its own. It's that brilliant. Has to be the greatest Lovecraft work. Sure, stories like The Shadow over Innsmouth or The Whisperer in the Darkness have come close, but this one takes the cake. The imagery is so vivid, the apocalyptic visions so richly depicted and yet, Lovecraft has refrained from what he couldn't manage in many of his other tales - to become overly explicatory and to destroy the mystery with a flood of words. Here, he tells whole tales on just two pa ...more
Colleen
Jun 25, 2014 Colleen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
I love this story. Written in 1920, probably published in 1921. This prose poem, just two pages long, is another from Lovecraft's dreams. Apparently, he wrote the first paragraph before even being entirely awake. While there are no explicit descriptions of Nyarlathotep, this story creeps me right out. The brevity actually makes the whole story much scarier. The story is so sudden. There is no exposition at all, no explanation. And, to me at least, horrifying things that have no cause always seem ...more
Adhoc
Jul 27, 2015 Adhoc rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What?
Jay Ant
Aug 16, 2015 Jay Ant rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Edgar Roberts
Jul 04, 2013 Edgar Roberts rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nyarlathotep was the first Lovecraft story to give me nightmares; the mentions of him being soul of the Other Gods brought me back to this story in fascination like a good one ought to. I've found myself genuinely scared of any mention of Nyarlathotep in a book.
(The nightmare, to those wanting to know, was that my face was bitten off by a group of small monsters possibly taken in my mind from another scary tale, Pickman's Model, and I was shown my body, which was yellow with a flat, featureles
José Monico
Aug 22, 2015 José Monico rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
"[...]we beheld around us the hellish moon-glitter of evil snows.[...]whirled blindly past ghastly midnights of rotting creation, corpses of dead worlds with sores that were cities, charnel winds that brush the pallid stars and make them flicker low."

Riveting, and horrifying. Such an epic and dense poem that packs so much punch in less than 6 pages - two in my anthology. There is immediate confusion at what is being introduced-- how it is being introduced. This is all Lovecraft's expert flowing
Shane Simmons
Jan 28, 2014 Shane Simmons rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lovecraft
Most Lovecraft stories are rather strange, so it's no surprise that this one is pretty bizarre. It is also quite short, taking perhaps 10 minutes to read, at most.

This story is centered on Nyarlathotep, a sinister, mysterious otherworldly figure who travels from town to town -- bringing unrest, terror and madness wherever he travels.

Not my favorite Lovecraft story, but it's worth reading.
Hadlai
Apr 17, 2016 Hadlai rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"For the small hours of the night were rent with the screams of nightmare. Never before had the screams of nightmare been such a public problem."

I'm already beginning to see the ways in which Welcome to Night Vale drew inspiration from Lovecraft.
Diego Claire Ulthar Sideral
Con "Nyarlathotep" comenzaba el hilarante sendero hacia el horror cósmico. Con el Caos Reptante se profetizaban los futuros tentáculos provenientes de abismos inimaginables. Adoro este relato. <3
David
A very short story, supposedly from a dream. There's not much story to it except for a horrific compulsion. It has excellent imagery and beautiful prose though.
Space
Feb 04, 2014 Space rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just wow. You can feel this short story clawing at you. Digging into you, driving you mad. The first story I've read by Lovecraft that pushed away from the rest, far, far away.
Baal Of
May 30, 2016 Baal Of rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, horror, weird
Not so much a story, as an introduction of a character, one of my favorites from the Cthulhu mythos. Seems very fragmentary and incomplete.
Ebster Davis
Jun 21, 2015 Ebster Davis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I screamed aloud that I was not afraid; that I never could be afraid; and others screamed with me for solace."
Ethan
Apr 18, 2016 Ethan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Interesting character/creature build up.
However I'd like see more of this character in the other stories.
Hristiyan Spasov
I enjoyed this short story, for it's length it painted an incredibly detailed and morbid picture in my mind.
Robert
Oct 28, 2015 Robert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lovecraft 'a take on the Pied Piper. He twisted the story as much as it could be twisted. Bravo!
Kyle Watts
Feb 28, 2013 Kyle Watts rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely recommend reading this before reading Lovecraft's most popular work "Call of Cthulu" It's about a being, an ancient Egyptian Pharaoh by his account, going around the world showing off his otherworldly powers.
Why I love this book is for Lovecraft's use of imagery and dark imagination to bring to life a monster that he never really describes. He can have his reader existing in a real world (albeit the past) and then suddenly plunge them into a world of chaos and subconscious nightmares
Droptoons
Sep 28, 2015 Droptoons rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: collection
3.5 -- Stately creation of one seriously sinister character.
Kevin Cortez
Sep 19, 2015 Kevin Cortez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
QUE GRNA CUENTO, HP LOVECRAFT ES ADICTIVO.
Fabio Vinicius Binder
Angie
Aug 15, 2012 Angie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting format for a short, quite lyrical, Lovecraft poem about a long-gone Pharaoh, who emerges from his own tomb to hypnotize the world with his apocalyptic visions of gods coming from the void of space...awesome stuff!
Justin Thickston
Quite short. I read this aloud over some Metallica. Doom, inevitability, and disbelieving despair done the HP way.
Myss-Syckness
Weird. Not one of my favourites by H.P. Lovecraft. I actually listened to the audiobook on my Blackberry.
Marts  (Thinker)
Nyarlathotep wanders Earth gathering followers, even the narrator is finally overcome by his power...
  • The Phoenix on the Sword
  • The Dunwich Cycle: Where the Old Gods Wait (Cthulhu Cycle Book, #9)
  • In the Land of the Blind: A Zombie Story
  • The Burial of the Rats
  • Slag Attack
  • Castaway
  • Murder of Angels (Silk, #2)
  • Fall of Cthulhu, Vol. 4: GodWar
  • Bleed on Me
  • The Wind in the Rosebush, and Other Stories of the Supernatural
  • Kayla and the Devil
  • Chickamauga
Howard Phillips Lovecraft, of Providence, Rhode Island, was an American author of horror, fantasy and science fiction.

Lovecraft's major inspiration and invention was cosmic horror: life is incomprehensible to human minds and the universe is fundamentally alien. Those who genuinely reason, like his protagonists, gamble with sanity. Lovecraft has developed a cult following for his Cthulhu Mythos, a
More about H.P. Lovecraft...

“And where Nyarlathotep went, rest vanished, for the small hours were rent with the screams of nightmare.” 10 likes