Start by marking “Keep Calm and Carry On Little Gift Book” as Want to Read:
Keep Calm and Carry On Little Gift Book

Keep Calm and Carry On Little Gift Book

Packed full of cheery motivational quotes, proverbs and mantras, Keep Calm and Carry On is an uplifting gift book meant to give you a boost through troubled times. Discovered on a poster created by the British Ministry of Information for British soldiers before World War II, the slogan still manages to strike a chord in our current difficult times.

Success is the ability to

Published November 17th 2009 by Andrews McMeel Publishing LLC (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Keep Calm and Carry On Little Gift Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Keep Calm and Carry On Little Gift Book

Blog on Books
Jan 12, 2011 Blog on Books rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Keep Calm and Carry On” began life as British government poster during the Second World War in order to prevent fret amongst the Empire’s citizenry in the event of a German bombing of the island nation. Its applicability today is inspired by the financial crisis, at least according to its publishers (Andrews McMeel) and their inspirer, British bookseller Stuart Manley. In this pocket-sized volume are words to the wise on crisis, speculation, greed, happiness and work amongst other timely topics ...more
Joy
Jun 07, 2010 Joy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loves a good quote
I bought this little gem in a museum giftshop in London on our recent trip there. The title comes from a government poster produced before the war in 1939. It's filled with great quotes on different themes like Crisis, Work, Friendship, Happiness, Worry - "Worry often gives a small thing a big shadow.- Swedish proverb
Another good one is, "It ain't no use putting up your umbrella until it rains. - Alice Caldwell Rice

I'm glad I found this book and I'll always treasure it.
سارة  .
Oct 17, 2013 سارة . rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: english-books
الكتاب خفيف وأجمل مما توقعت ..يحوي اقتباسات متنوعة لشخصيات بارزة..
أفادني كثيرا في معرفة مصطلحات انجليزية جديدة ..

من الحكم التي أعجبتني:

happiness depends upon ourselves.
-aristotle

always laugh when you can it is cheap medicine.
-lord byron
Renée Fornelli
Dec 19, 2016 Renée Fornelli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is short, sweet, and to the point. The chapters are filled with amazing advice for controlling anxiety and overcoming issues in your life by systematically training your mind and calming your reactions. It is a fantastic read -- written very clearly, concisely, and professionally, with sources backing up the scientific material presented. It also provides tips and exercises for establishing a logical view of problems most people would view irrationally and emotionally. I highly recomme ...more
Niki Sehmbi
Mar 30, 2013 Niki Sehmbi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute little book of quotes. (aside from the WWII references...) the first half is devoted to pessimistic quotes and messages about dealing with circumstance and that there is no other way but to remain calm. The second half is the part I always go back to where there are positive and inspirational messages. I bought the book one day when I felt a little hopeless and considering it's cute little size i figured I could take a quick look at some of the quotes whenever I needed a bit of a pick me up ...more
Ruth
Feb 10, 2012 Ruth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
c2009. As compilation books go, this is rather sweet. A Christmas present that does make for a great bathroom book and does have the power to make you smile when feeling down. I do find it hilarious that the title of the book takes its beginnings from World War II and the book was printed by GGP Media GmbH, Pssneck, Germany. As the introduction states, there were actually 3 sayings publicised on the eve of World War II with the other 2 being "Freedom is in Peril" and "Your courage, your cheerful ...more
Mohammed Al-Garawi
DID YOU KNOW THAT THE POSTER THAT HAS THE PHRASE "KEEP CALM AND ETC..", THE ONE WITH THE LITTLE CROWN ON THE TOP WAS ACTUALLY CREATED BY THE BRITSH GOVERNMENT IN THE 1930'S?!!!
I DIDN'T KNOW THAT!!!

Okay, this booklet is basically a collection of motivational quotes for people in business. Give it a shot, it's cool.
Victoria Bright
Feb 14, 2013 Victoria Bright rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A friend of mine had bought this book for me because I had wanted it for awhile. I had seen many pictures of people with a book similar to this that had motivational quotes and sayings and such and I thought it would be perfect for me to have because I could definitely use some encouragement. Not only did I finish this book in an hour, I was highly disappointed in the quotes and the way the book was set up. Some of these quotes I've seen before on a FREE app on my iPhone! I feel so bad for letti ...more
Kylie  George
Keep Calm and Carry On is a collection of quotes from a variety of people. The small book is divided into sections of quotes about the same topic. Sometimes I look at this pocket book for a little bit of inspiration, but honestly, there are only a few quotes that I actually relate too. Regardless of that, I am glad that I got this little book. It can come in handy and does have some nice quotes. I really like the variety of sayings that are compiled. I recommend anyone who likes their quotes to ...more
Plucino
Jun 26, 2012 Plucino rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Advice for hard times

This booklet is packed with motivational quotes to help the reader through the "2009-***" recession (NB review written in 2009, we are in 2012 and the recession is still ongoing...).

Sources are from Mark Twain, Disraeli, GB Shaw, Russian proverbs etc.

"An economist is an expert who will know tomorrow why the things he predicted yesterday didn’t happen today"

I expected a collection of even wrier material: especially because I deal on a daily basis with wry Brits, I was waiting
Susan O'Bryant
Feb 24, 2011 Susan O'Bryant rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
Inspired by the motivational poster created by the British government in 1939 (which was never used, but was rediscovered in 2000 in a second-hand bookstore), Keep Calm and Carry On is a collection of smart and sensible quotes. Being a lover and collector of great quotations, I had to pick up this little book the last time I was at the bookstore. Sometimes when I'm not in the mood for a full-fledged novel, things like this book of quotations really hits the spot.
David Campton
A book of quotes based on the ubiquitous wartime propaganda poster that was rediscovered at the turn of the millennium and has since spawned innumerable parodies. This is a beautifully tactile production, but its content is at best mediocre. The quotes in the first half are tediously cynical, while the second half are much more positive but most are as well known as the title of the book itself. It could be read in an hour. What I refer to indelicately as toilet literature.
Marie
Mar 07, 2016 Marie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute and clever. Certain quotes definitely lifted my mood and put a smile on my face.

One main criticism: Why are most of the quotes from (as far I can tell, mostly--if not all--white) men? Seriously. Why is almost every single one from a man? Whose bright idea was it to make a cute little book with a crown on the cover a sausage fest? Seriously.
Christiana
Jun 19, 2013 Christiana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book of quotes than can make you re-evaluate your way of thinking.
My only "complaint" is that in the Happiness Section they didn't put in the quote said in the Harry Potter's books by Dumbledore "Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."
Anthony
Feb 26, 2012 Anthony rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Anthony by: My Boss
This book was given to me by my boss at the beginning of the year. She must have known that my job assignment would tear at my soul and on a long weekend trip across the country to see some theater in NYC I read through it... bringing me tips and reminders on how to find solace in the storm. Highly recommended.
Ashley Monette
Jun 15, 2015 Ashley Monette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked up the book in the UK pavilion in Epcot in Disney World and I am so glad I did! This book was so cute. The quotes were very inspiring and some of the best quotes I've read. There are so many inspiring and quotes to get you through life. I have definitely found some new favorites and I feel I will definitely be referring back to this in the future.
Sarah H. Alshareef
The reason behind reading this book is that I was so eager to know the history of the title and why it is so famous!
Honestly, I liked the story behind it!
The component of this book is quotes by very well known Economists, Philosophers, and others
If you like to read quotes you will like this book.
To me, It was fair :)
Moneera  (moneerasbooks)
it had a brief history of the origin of the phrase in the beginning, i really liked that, the keep calm part focused on economy which isn't interesting to me but the carry on was a lot better ,, i enjoyed this little book :)
Swati Choudhary
I bought this book based on high reviews. But i have to say i was a little disappointed. The book is 50% motivational quotes & 50% famous celebrity quotes.

I am not sure how, on a bad monday, reading a celebrity's view point on british prime minister will motivate anyone.
Will Jeffries
Apr 21, 2011 Will Jeffries rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a genius little book that takes like 2 seconds to read through. I've seen quite a few people sporting this message around - even the guy who directed "New Moon" from the Twilight Series. Here is a website that sports some of these messages: http://www.keepcalmandcarryon.com/

Enjoy.
Kat
Sep 17, 2011 Kat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received this book as my 17th birthday present from a friend. I love this book, i try to look at it everyday and it adds some new positive quote to my day. My favourite so far; In the midst of Winter, I found there was within me, an invincible Summer-Albert Camus.
Queenx
Jul 04, 2014 Queenx rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's good to increase your vocabulary ..

Also it has many valuable quotes such as :

-Work is good provided you do not forget to live.

-We make a living by what we get , but we make a life by what we give.

-Always laugh when you can. It is cheap medicine.
Samar
Sep 20, 2010 Samar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book made my friend start reading and she don't like to! Also she asked for more books to read. I gave it to her as a gift hoping she remember me forever..
I miss her, I miss you Meshael :(
Jamie Christensen
Fun book. Sometimes the main character annoys me but I've had this problem with this series. Not enough of a distraction to stop reading it. I definitely liked this one more than the previous one in the series.
Alan Vonlanthen
Jan 25, 2014 Alan Vonlanthen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Hell, there are no rules here - We're trying to accomplish something"
Thomas A Edison

Great selection of inspiring quotes!

The perfect loo read ;)

Ghadi
Jan 06, 2016 Ghadi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's a small helping book when you need to be pushing forward, it has quotes about life and how to keep your calming. It's really helpful and easy to carry any where :)
Keren Espina
Just some cute stuff to stack up on my shelves; the net is open for greater quotes though. And a "39 SR" for this book would really be quite impractical.
Lois
Aug 07, 2012 Lois rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very inspiring!! This book has helped brighten my day so many times! I have over half the pages dog-eared! :P
Miriam
Jun 16, 2015 Miriam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great little book with a several thought points and exercises at the end of each short chapter. Very easy read and will be good to use with clients.
Charly-kate
Oct 15, 2011 Charly-kate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just a little book you can pick up and look at whenever you want to. And actually it does make sense!
  • Now Panic and Freak Out
  • How to Interpret Literature: Critical Theory for Literary and Cultural Studies
  • Dance First, Think Later: 618 Rules to Live by
  • Northern Ireland: A Very Short Introduction
  • Little Ways to Keep Calm and Carry On: Twenty Lessons for Managing Worry, Anxiety, and Fear
  • The Best of Foxtrot (2 Volume Boxed Set)
  • The Politics of Women's Bodies: Sexuality, Appearance, and Behavior
  • Signing Naturally: [Student Workbook, Units 1-6]
  • Rings, Swords, and Monsters: Exploring Fantasy Literature
  • 2014 Yearbook of Jehovah's Witnesses
  • The American Future: A History
  • The Virginia Woolf Writers' Workshop: Seven Lessons to Inspire Great Writing
  • The Cabin in the Woods: The Official Visual Companion
  • Whoogles: Can a Dog Make a Woman Pregnant - And Hundreds of Other Searches That Make You Ask "Who Would Google That?"
  • Management Rewired: Why Feedback Doesn't Work and Other Surprising Lessons from the Latest Brain Science
  • Going Under