Start by marking “The Red Rooster” as Want to Read:
The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  393 ratings  ·  43 reviews
Of all the desperate women in German-occupied Paris, Gabriela Reyes is the least likely to scratch out her survival as a whore for a Gestapo agent. After fascists murdered her mother and brother and tortured her father in an insane asylum, she hates the Germans as much as she fears them. But when she discovers the man responsible for destroying her family, she decides to b ...more
Published March 26th 2011

To ask other readers questions about The Red Rooster, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Red Rooster

This Little Piggy Belongs to the Devil by Vincent A. PalazzoThe Da Vinci Code by Dan BrownTable 21 by T. Rafael CiminoImpeding Justice by M.A. ComleySweet Light by Jen Wylie
Great titles of 2011, ideal stocking fillers
28th out of 94 books — 41 voters
The Book Thief by Markus ZusakAgainst The Tide by John F. HanleyThe Last Boat by John F. HanleyAtonement by Ian McEwanThe Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer
WWII Historic Fiction
155th out of 472 books — 361 voters

More lists with this book...

Maura
I just finished this book yesterday. I have mixed feelings about suggesting this one to others. I love WWII books so I was excited to read the summary. The boook was a slow start and sad because the heroine- Gabriela decides to sleep with a Nazi soldier to fight off hunger. Although this may be plausible when you consider the effects war has, she also decides to seduce the Nazi SS soldier who took her father 2 years ago. The book didn't really get going till more than half way through and Gabrie ...more
Perry Martin
The Red Rooster by Michael Wallace and read by Rosemary Benson. During WWII occupied France you were either a collaborator or part of the resistance. Different people took on different roles.

Gabriella was another 20 something living in France trying to survive not only the war but the day to day poverty that was occupied France.

Living in a closet she rented from an elderly couple she tried to live with honor. Her father had been taken by the Nazi's and she assumed he was dead.
One day she met ano
Lilmissmolly
I listened to the Audible version of The Red Rooster, which is an engaging historical fiction novel about Gabriela Reyes, a young Spanish women who is a refugee in Nazi-occupied Paris during WWII. Gabriela's story is one of revenge and the search for the man responsible for destroying her family. It begins after fascists murdered Gabriela's mother and brother and tortured her father two and a half years ago. Struggling to stay alive, Gabriella finds herself entangled in a French resistance plot ...more
Diana Shaffner
The Red Rooster is a special valuable coin chased after by many and amassed by some during WWII. As the cover image of the book suggests, the story line unfolds in German occupied Paris. Mr. Wallace's book is not so much a thriller, as it is an account of how profoundly war affects people of all walks of life and how the subsequent suffering takes on different shapes and forms. The main character Gabriela looses her mother. Her father is taken prisoner by the Gestapo and subjected to invasive me ...more
Gary Ekker
A riveting tale of pride, passion, and altruism.

Michael Wallace tells a moving story, at times too authentic for the comfort of the reader, but which leaves you hungry for more. Definitely adding his other novels to my wish list.

The Red Rooster is a powerful, thought provoking novel set in WWII. This story takes you through the events that shape the minds and characters of sadists, collaborators, heroes, and heroines. Everyone is a "simple soldat", just a simple soldier fighting his or her own i
Ed Baldwin
The Red Rooster is a bar in Paris and also a French gold coin, much to be desired in occupied Paris during World War II. Gabriela Reyes is a young Spanish girl who came to Paris with her father, an artist, who has been imprisoned by the Gestapo. She vows to free him. She goes from poor to penniless, to homeless before coming to the Red Rooster where she becomes a hostess and then a whore. Enter Colonel Hoekman, a Gestapo colonel and Helmut von Cratz, a civilian industrialist and profiteer who bo ...more
Shawn Davis
Gabriela Reyes has lost her family. She knows her father alone might still be alive, but she doesn't know where he is or how to find him in Occupied France. She's starving and running out of options.

Until a chance encounter with Christine, a French woman who is surviving The Occupation by catering to German officers offers Gaby a way out. Gaby is willing to wash dishes for the food left-over on the plate, but she is not willing to resort to entertaining the hated Germans... Until she sees the ma
Scott Whitmore
The Red Rooster by Michael Wallace is a thrilling and suspenseful World War II tale of revenge, romance and intrigue that mostly takes place in German-occupied Paris following France's defeat and partition.

Gabriella Reyes and her intellectual father fled to France after Franco's victory in the Spanish Civil War, but when the Germans invade in 1940 they find it harder to escape. An exceptionally cruel Gestapo officer arrests Gabriella's father, leaving the young woman alone in a country reeling
Michael Parker
I began reading this book earlier in the year but gave up. Last week I decided to try again. I think its the kind of book that will appeal to people who would enjoy reading about occupied Paris during the war, with Nazis and Gestapo thugs all over the place. The story seemed to be over-burdened with night club life, prostitutes and the desperate struggle to survive under the jackboot. I don't think it captured the real essence of the threat that existed during the war in occupied countries, and ...more
Anthony
I read this book on Kindle when I was without something to read. It was okay but nothing I would recommend. You have to get through a lot of British colloquialisms. It was a simple plot but a very fast read. If I was on a cross country flight, I might finish the book before my arrival. It took me a little longer because I was stalled because of interest.

Bob
WW2 at it's worse.

WW2 at it's worse.

A very unique war story with numerous twists and turns. This is a perfect summer read except for the sleep you'll lose because you can't put it down.
Jjquinn
Akin to a trashy page turner. Shallow character development. Predictable plot. Mindless beach read. I read it on vacation because I did not want to think, just read. I like the WWII genre, but this was not worth the read.
Jeremy Barker
A poor, unemployed girl in Nazi occupied Paris. Barely able to survive. Struggling to go on to search for her father and the German officer who took him. An okay storyline and for the most part a fast-paced read. To be honest, I didn’t really like it. I finished it mainly because I’d started it. It has more objectionable elements than I would prefer. The actual writing and the plot was okay, not awful but not great either. It’s a novel set in the midst of the Second World War and while it gave s ...more
Pam
A good historical fiction book. Relates a Nazi experience that is from a different view.
Edward
another well-written and interesting book by Michael Wallace
Sjm
Recommend
MaryJude Schmitz
I really liked this book much more than I thought I would. I love The Righteous Series by Michael Wallace but this was a completely different subject. This is about World War II and that subject is pretty much hit or miss with me. This was a hit. I really liked the characters in this book and it reminded me of Wolf's Hour by Robert McCammon without, of course, the werewolf. There is a lot of action and excitement and is a very good read. I highly recommend this book.
Anne
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was a page turning thriller about France under Nazi control. Gabriella Reyes works in a speakeasy frequented by Nazi bigwigs. One is Gestapo Colonel Hoekman, a brutal and evil man who plays with snakes as a hobby-yea, some are poisonous. Helmut Von Cratz is a spy for the Allies and a war profiteer who wonders if he can see another woman sacrificed to the Nazi terror. A wll done book, a page turner, and an author to remember.
Dottie Resnick
This is a WW II & Holocaust book, but from a different perspective. Takes place mostly in occupied France with the main characters being a German citizen, who is a traitor to Germany, yet friends with a Nazi officer, an SS officer investigating these two men, and two young women - one a Spanish immigrant, the other a French girl doing what they "needed to do" to survive. Portrays these people as individuals, not the typical Nazi and SS stereotypes.
Jessica
This book was OK. It was a little drawn out in parts and a little bland in others. Towards the end there was a twist that livened it up some but the actual result of that twist was expected before I even got to it. The ending, well, was fairly satisfying. Without giving the ending away I can't say what I didn't like about it. It wasn't a terrible book, but I wasn't really wanting for more when it was over.
M.A. Comley
This is the third book of Michael's I've read and reviewed.

The Red Rooster is a great thriller, set in wartime France.

Great characterisation of one girl's struggle to survive in France, forced to 'sleep with the enemy' to ensure she has food in her belly.

A tragic tale of what people in France had to endure at the hands of the Nazis.

Great writing and storytelling as usual, Michael.
David Leroy
I enjoyed this book, and the plot, but at times it was a stretch to believe. But it is a thriller, and kept the action moving. What I liked most is that the many in the french resistance were lone wolves. They were not well connected, but individuals with very personal reasons for their sacrifice. In that sense, he nailed it with this character.
Claire Englewood
This was one I could not stick with, I had to force myself to go back to. However, I can't really figure out why; there is no particular reason I can cite as to why I couldn't engage with this espionage tale. I'll give it a while, perhaps go back and re-read it when I'm not distracted by other things and then I'll amend this review.
Robin Clayton
No. Just no. I did not really enjoy this book at all and I normally love WWII era, historical fiction. The character development was practically non-existant, so there was no reason for me to like or care about them. I completed it hoping it would get better, but it never did. I'm glad I only paid $.99 for it.
Joanna
A great piece of historical fiction during WWII.I would recommend this book to fans of WWII .Its set in France -Paris mostly.I liked it.What would you do to survive,how far would you go to find your father and how much risk would you take ? Just read it .... It will not disappoint you.
Stephanie
A slow, and at times confusing, beginning led to a web of suspenseful twists and turns. Until the very end I kept waiting for another surprise. Not a book I would have normally picked up, despite my interest in WWII. Glad I did, though. Will be reading more by this author.
Julie H. Ferguson
A book about occupied Paris in WWII and the life of a Spanish girl who ended up as a 'sidewalk princess' in order to survive. It roars along and captured my attention. Somehow, I feel it could have been tighter and even more poignant, given the subject.
Jessica
Quite a good story which takes place in German-occupied France. Not quite a thriller but it was a page turner and a fast read. Could have been fleshed out with more character development, maybe not so focused mainly on action, or something.
Caleb
The ending was anti-climactic. It's not that I knew how it would end, but the drama never materialized. I was looking forward to seeing how things would work out and then was disappointed by the lack of development.

Still a good read.
Joe Newell
I enjoy nazi war books, and this was inexpensive on amazon. It was a decent read.
Audiobooks: Free Download Code for WWII Thriller 3 37 May 08, 2014 09:31AM
Goodreads Authors...: Good Thriller 1 17 Jul 21, 2012 11:45AM
  • The Remnant - Stories of the Jewish Resistance in WWII (Boomer Book Series)
  • Flame of Resistance
  • All My Love, Detrick
  • An Owl's Whisper
  • The Kommandant's Mistress
  • Playing with Matches (Playing with Matches #1)
  • The Eighth Sea
  • Wildflowers of Terezin
  • Camp Follower (A Mystery of the American Revolution, # 3)
  • Shepherd Avenue
  • We Never Lost Hope: A Holocaust Memoir and Love Story
  • The Siren of Paris
  • Face the Winter Naked
  • How Huge the Night
  • The Monmouth Summer
  • Sultana
  • The Witness House: Nazis and Holocaust Survivors Sharing a Villa during the Nuremberg Trials
  • The Frozen Trail
Would you like an alert when the next Michael Wallace book is published? Sign up for Michael's email list and receive a free Kindle copy of The Righteous novella "Trial by Fury." This list is used to announce new releases and occasional offers of free advance copies, not for any other purpose.

Michael also welcomes email from readers at m.wallace23(at)yahoo(dot)com.
More about Michael Wallace...
The Righteous (Righteous, #1) Mighty and Strong (Righteous, #2) The Devil's Deep The Wicked (Righteous, #3) The Dark Citadel (The Dark Citadel, #1)