Start by marking “The Gathering Dead (The Gathering Dead, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Gathering Dead (The Gathering Dead, #1)

The Gathering Dead (The Gathering Dead #1)

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  1,085 ratings  ·  76 reviews
The Horde Is Always Hungry...

The zombie apocalypse has begun, and Major Cordell McDaniels is given the most important mission of his career: lead a Special Forces team into New York City to rescue the one man who can stop the ghastly virus that reanimates the dead.

But as a growing army of flesh-eating corpses takes over the streets and a violent storm renders airborne ex
Published March 19th 2011 (first published March 17th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Gathering Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gathering Dead

World War Z by Max BrooksZombie Fallout by Mark TufoZombie Fallout 2 by Mark TufoZombie Fallout 3 by Mark TufoZombie Fallout 4 by Mark Tufo
Best Zombie Books
118th out of 948 books — 2,301 voters
World War Z by Max BrooksThe Zombie Survival Guide by Max BrooksThe Walking Dead, Vol. 01 by Robert KirkmanFeed by Mira GrantPride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith
Zombies!
116th out of 1,243 books — 3,555 voters

More lists with this book...

Bethany
In general, being a fan of zombie fiction means that, on the whole, the amount of available material is limited. In essence, it’s niche to the max. I think there is a large amount of hand waving done with zombies, and I find myself forgiving some things that I wouldn’t in other genres. Unfortunately, this idea undervalues those books that are actually very good and brings down the general expectations of the market. That being said, I have decided to look at this as a category review. I think th ...more
Michele Hindman
Popcorn zombie book. Felt like it was written like a mediocre, trope-laden action movie. Also, how many little girl zombies were there? (A lot.)

In the future, the author should try to include more women in his books besides an obvious love interest and two young girls—all three of them daughters of other male characters. Seriously, you couldn't make at least one of the many, many military tough guys a lady?

Other gripes: the attempt to inject race issues into the story felt incredibly ham-handed,
Gilliam
Too many paragraphs consisting of gadget acronyms and equipment inventories—so much so I thought I was perusing an Army Surplus catalogue. With little in the way of writing style or narrative pull to persuade me I finally said: "**** it" and moved on to my next read.
Stacy Eaton
I will be honest in saying that it took me a few chapters to get into this. Not because of any fault of the author, this was my first zombie book and getting accustomed to it and the military jargon took a few chapters.

With that said, once I got the military jargon down and understood what a zombie actually was this book sucked me in and got my adrenaline running so many times, I felt like I had been a true part of it. The story was full of action from the first page to the very last.

The author
Vincent Hobbes
This was the first zombie story I've ever read, so I don't have much to compare it to. I found the writing was fast-paced, and quite enjoyable. Good story about a team of civilians and soldiers trying to make it to safety in New York, surrounded by millions of zombies. The ideas weren't necessarily all that original, but the author paints a vivid picture, and it was a page-turner.

I definitely suggest if you like zombie stories.

-Vincent
Jairus Reddy
Great zombie novel!! Picking up the sequel asap
G.Y.
Jun 19, 2011 G.Y. rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: kindle
***minor spoilers***

Stephen Knight's The Gathering Dead is an exciting tale about a group of special forces members trapped in a zombie-ridden New York City. Their chopper goes down while trying to extract a VIP, Dr. Wolf Safire, who has valuable knowledge of the zombie virus and may be able to produce a cure. They are forced to hole up in an office building while they try to figure out another plan to get Dr. Safire and his daughter, Regina, out of the crumbling city.

For the most part, I found
Book Him Danno
For starts it is your typical zombie story, some unknown antigen is sent into the general population and only one person has the cure and the military is sent to save that person.

The book starts off with the epidemic that has already spread and the military is trying to stop it from spreading outside of New York City. The book has some graphic scenes and some strong language but again it is a Zombie book and if it wasn't graphic I would be very shocked. I have to admit the first few pages had me
Brandt
*SPOILER ALERT*

“Our dead are never dead to us, until we have forgotten them.” - George Eliot. The Gathering Dead by Stephen Knight, this book is about a group of soldiers who are sent into New York to rescue Dr. Safire who knows how to cure a disease that turns people into zombies.This books is very interesting, there are parts that make it awesome. Yet there are still parts that are very frustrating.The Gathering Dead is an interesting story due to its intense/ frustrating action scenes, dialog
Faye, la Patata
I bought this the other day and man, I finished it in one sitting! This was a really good zombie book for me. It may be as good as 187 - Almost Hell by Eric Lowther. I enjoyed it so much that the ending blew me away, which is not something that happens very often. I felt sad, but happy at the same time. It wasn't exactly the best ending, but it's the kind of ending that leaves you with a fuzzy feeling, an ending that makes you think and really feel for the characters. I swear that by the of the ...more
Brandon
Just finished this book (2 days, much quicker than my last book, The Heroes, though not better...just different). Another zombie survival story, this one is centered around an elite military unit whose mission is to extract the sole surviving researcher who might have something of a cure for the zombie plague. Throughout the book, they're always under pressure, so it doesn't ever really let up on the tension. I still think my favorite zombie book to date is World War Z, but this one did a really ...more
Patti
Slow, stupid and shambling. No, that's not how I like my men, but how I like my zombies. Yeah, I'm old school, but I'm a disciple of the original Romero zombies. So sue me.

The Gathering Dead was well written, thoroughly researched, but when the zombies start using weapons and driving taxis, then the book loses points in my eyes. I did finish it, because the antagonism between two of the characters intrigued me and I wanted to see if the zombies weren't the only threat to human life.

But the senti
Penforhire
My experience of this book was generally positive. Think of this as Blackhawk Down with zombies! I would have rated it one more star except for its rough edges. What Mr. Knight does well is, in fact, stunningly well done.

His pacing is breathless. His descriptions of complex action scenes were all clear enough to me. His military authenticity is superb, enough so that I see other reviewers complaining about the acronyms, lol.

Folks you can't have it both ways. Details like military jargon or weap
Thomas
i read some reviews and got this book. i really enjoyed it. the story is about a group of soldiers trying to save some people from new york while there are millions of zombies everywhere. the group get caught in a builing and have to fight off the zombies and hopefully make it to safety. very good writing but i did notice a few editing errors but nothing major. this book was nonstop action and i think everyone should read it if you like horror and zombies.
Tim Petersik
if you like solid action zombie novels with the shallowest of character development, then this book is for you. I liked it for the adrenalin rush(es), but didn't care all that much about the major players in the story. nonetheless, there was some plot here--an effort to save the one man who may be able to stem the zombie plague.
Heidi
If you love Zombie movies you will enjoy this book it reads like a movie. I love the slight twist that takes the Zombies to a whole new level. I have to admit I wanted the most of the Army guys to survive but I knew it wasn't going to happen. I thought this book was fun for being my first Zombie book.
Leisuresuitlarry
When zombies in uniforms start showing up you will really have to suspend your disbelief, but they're Stephen Knight's zombies and he can make them do whatever he wants. It was still good enough that I didn't want to put it down. This was neither the best nor the worst zombie book I've read this year.
Monica
I bought this book for 99 cents. It wasn't bad. It was a little slow at the start for me, but didn't take long to get hooked. I fell into the characters even though it was more military than anything. I gave it 4 stars based on the price and content wasn't half bad either.
Shawn Manning
The one thing this book has going for it is the use of military jargon. The problem is that it is saturated in it to the point of distraction. I really didn't have strong feelings about any of the characters and felt I had seen them and the plot many times before.
Robert Breault
I thought this book and the novella were very well done. Easy read and really pulls you into the story line as if you were there. Being former military, the "jargon" was easy to follow. Very enjoyable. Can't wait for the next edition...
LA
Aug 14, 2013 LA rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: amazon
This is basically the zombie apocalypse told from the view of the military, as a military operation. Not much for character building. Lots of military lingo. Maybe it's just for a different audience, but I didn't like it.
Denis
A typical zombie book. Zombies eat people and people try to get away. However since for some unkown reason I love the zombie genre so I thought this was a great book and the start to a great series.
Matthew Andrus
A Solid Zombie Novel - A Solid Story

I'm giving this book five stars not because it's an action packed zombie novel with all the horror and violence one would expect, but because it's a very fun story with solid characters that are compellingfin beginning to end.
Military fiction is hit or miss in my experience. Either the technical description is to think and strangles the pace of the narrative or its but detailed enough leaving holes in the story. Stephen Knight strikes a very good balance betw
Tony
A great zombie book. Plenty of zed action. After finishing this, I immediately downloaded the follow up novella to my nook. Gotta find out what happens to Gartrell!
Diane Berry
Many books in this genre are poorly written and trite, but not this book. Fast paced, suspenseful, and great characters make this an awesome read.
Michelle Purvis
Well written zombie vs. military strike force story. Both interesting and exciting to read, I will definitely be reading more of Stephen Knight!
Regina
Storyline was pretty good but the book was WAY too technical. I did not need to know all the specifics for every gun and weapon.

There was a lot of good action but maybe a little too much because I never really connected to the characters.

Also, I didn't not like the way the Coast Guard was portrayed. I know the main characters are Army, and there is always some friction between the branches, but this was a bit too much. I want to say, without giving away the ending... the main character criticiz
Ann
Just finished reading "The Gathering Dead." Talk about a nail biter! I now am in serious need of a manicure.
Miguel A.
The Gathering Dead gave me a roller coaster ride!

The Gathering Dead gave me a roller coaster ride!

one of the best zombie novels I have ever read. Sometimes you start a Zombie novel and after three pages you know you are wasting your time. Not with The Gathering Dead. This novel got me hooked from start to finished. Well developed with characters truly fleshed out. The action was relentless, but it is so well written that you don't feel you are just going for a ride. It is really good and fans of
Keith Blackmore
My full review is on amazon.com, but this was better than "World War Z" in my opinion.
  • LZR-1143: Infection (LZR-1143, #1)
  • The Unwashed Dead (Zombie Armageddon #1)
  • White Flag of The Dead
  • The Plan (Roads Less Traveled, #1)
  • Area 187: Almost Hell
  • Domain of the Dead
  • Among the Living
  • Tooth and Nail
  • Dead: The Ugly Beginning (Dead, #1)
  • Trudge (Surviving the Zombie Apocalypse, #1)
  • After the End
  • Voyage of the Dead (Sovereign Spirit Saga, #1)
  • Flesh Eaters (Dead World, #3)
  • Mountain Man (Mountain Man, #1)
  • A New World: Chaos (A New World, #1)
  • Three Parts Dead (Arisen, #3)
  • Dead Living
  • After Life
The Rising Horde: Volume One (The Gathering Dead, #2) Left with the Dead (The Gathering Dead, #1.5) The Rising Horde: Volume Two (The Gathering Dead, #3) Earthfall The Retreat #2: Slaughterhouse