Start by marking “I Hate Martin Amis ” as Want to Read:
I Hate Martin Amis

I Hate Martin Amis

3.43  ·  Rating Details  ·  70 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
‘Dark and troubling, distressingly funny. It is one of the best debut novels I’ve read. Peter Barry is a massive talent. Exciting, original and dangerous.' - Wayne Macauley, author of Blueprints for a Barbed-Wire Canoe.

It is 1995. Milan Zorec, an aspiring yet rejected novelist, travels from England to Bosnia to join the Serbian forces as a sniper in Sarajevo, in the final
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about I Hate Martin Amis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Hate Martin Amis

Lisa
Jan 19, 2016 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: australia, c21st, 11review
The plot in Peter Barry’s novel is bizarre: failed novelist becomes a successful sniper in the Siege of Sarajevo (1992-1996) because he needs a unique experience as inspiration for a novel in order to attract attention. The writing is superb; the technique is masterful;and the subject matter is deeply unsettling.

To read the rest of my review please visit http://anzlitlovers.wordpress.com/201...
Ljiljana Stancic
Nov 18, 2012 Ljiljana Stancic rated it liked it
Shelves: balkans
I stumbled upon this book by chance (was looking for a Martin Amis in fact). When I read that the book was about the frustrations of an aspiring novelist who joins Serb snipers in Sarajevo in 1994 after his novel is rejected by every imaginable publisher, I just had to read it. The results are mixed and where the novel works exceedingly well is where I counted on it to fail: in getting into the mind of a cold-blooded killer and in surprisingly accurately conveying the atmosphere of ultimate madn ...more
Dennis Rhein
Feb 14, 2014 Dennis Rhein rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Adults
Recommended to Dennis by: AMC
This author writes quite well and it's certainly a story very much out of the ordinary, about a subject rarely seen. Although I found it very dark and not the least bit amusing, the work was otherwise adequately reviewed by others here - so I'll limit my comments to the more mundane. Improper word usage in a book that has won awards strikes me as very strange. A good example is the usage of 'site' and 'sight', which were both used to describe the rifle sight. Oddly enough, this was the only mist ...more
Rowena
Jan 30, 2014 Rowena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Peter Barry’s debut novel I hate Martin Amis et al. can be summed up as ‘when rejection turns a writer into a sniper’. Milan has written four books and all of them have been rejected. Usually he receives the standard, impersonal rejection slip, but then he receives a personal comment, ‘Scarcely original. Feel I’ve read this before’, and this tips him over the edge.

His father is Serbian and although he doesn’t even believe in the cause, he goes to Sarajevo to become a sniper and to gather materia
Kris McCracken
A somewhat uneven book. First of all, it features a narrator and central protagonist who is decidedly unlike-able. Knowing that this was a deliberate choice by the author does not make the process of spending time inhabiting his mind any easier.

I suspect that much of this is supposed to be black comedy, but it is far more "black" than "comic". While the concept of artistic rejection is explored, I can't help but feel that the message is lost underneath such a bleak setting.

Not for the faint hea
Brenda Kittelty
A really interesting premise, if somewhat unbelievable. Still not completely convinced of the leading character's motivations to head off to the Balkans war and shoot a few dozen people. A classic case of enjoying the book while despising all the characters in it!
Nicole
Sep 19, 2013 Nicole rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I received a free copy of I Hate Martin Amis et al. via a Goodreads giveaway. I enjoyed this book. I would label this a dark twisted almost comical tale of a journey into madness. Thank-you Goodreads and thank-you Mr. Barry.
Philip Taffs
Jan 03, 2015 Philip Taffs rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A black comedy that assassinates both war and the publishing industry.

Hilarious and heartfelt, imagine Martin Amis crossed with Milan Kundera, both reporting from the front lines.
Geoff
Sep 20, 2011 Geoff rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting take on the writing industry, mixed with sniping in Sarajevo... strange combination that works really well, except for the ending, which I found anti-climactic...
Den
Sep 14, 2013 Den rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cool read. Something different, in my experience.
Agathe Szkola
Agathe Szkola marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2016
Caitlin Eve
Caitlin Eve marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2016
Rob Muir
Rob Muir rated it liked it
Jan 13, 2016
David Hull
David Hull marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2016
Janet Harrison
Janet Harrison rated it did not like it
Dec 26, 2015
Morné
Morné marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2015
Dilsh Wijesinghe
Dilsh Wijesinghe marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2015
Michael
Michael rated it it was ok
Oct 15, 2015
Patrick Santelli
Patrick Santelli rated it liked it
Sep 30, 2015
Michael Anderson
Michael Anderson rated it liked it
Sep 08, 2015
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Tiff Gibbo
Tiff Gibbo marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
Jtplatnum
Jtplatnum rated it liked it
Apr 10, 2015
Befff
Befff rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2015
Cruz
Cruz marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Jamie Boyce
Jamie Boyce rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2015
Jamie Harding
Jamie Harding rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2015
Chris Doyle
Chris Doyle marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Vicarious
Vicarious rated it really liked it
Nov 04, 2014
Steve Biersdorf
Steve Biersdorf rated it liked it
Oct 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Nærmeste Pårørende
  • Shanghai
  • Captives: Britain, Empire, and the World, 1600-1850
  • The Aimee Leduc Companion: A Guide to Cara Black's Paris
  • Wink Murder
  • An Empty Death (DI Ted Stratton, #2)
  • Warlords: An Extraordinary Re-creation of World War II through the Eyes and Minds of Hitler, Churchill, Roosevelt, and Stalin
  • The Few
  • Plague Child (Tom Neave, #1)
  • Truth Lies Bleeding
  • Careful He Might Hear You
  • Blood and Ashes (Joe Hunter, #5)
  • Lazarus Rising
  • A Cotswold Ordeal (Thea Osborne, #2)
  • The Ends of the Earth (The Wide World Trilogy, #3)
  • Australians: Origins to Eureka (Australians, #1)
  • The Dealer And The Dead
  • The Lily Bard Mysteries Omnibus (Lily Bard, #1-5)