Start by marking “Aventure Sans Pareille D'un Certain Hans Pfaall” as Want to Read:
Aventure Sans Pareille D'un Certain Hans Pfaall
Preview

Aventure Sans Pareille D'un Certain Hans Pfaall

3.2 of 5 stars 3.20  ·  rating details  ·  237 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Hans Phaall, a bankrupt bellows-mender from Rotterdam, thinks up an ingenious scheme to escape from his dreary existence. He constructs a balloon that will carry him all the way to the moon. First published in 1835, when Poe was twenty-five years old and virtually unknown, the tale - much admired by Jules Verne - describes an extraordinary adventure in which Poe's learning ...more
Published May 1st 2003 by folio (first published 1835)

To ask other readers questions about Aventure Sans Pareille D'un Certain Hans Pfaall, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Aventure Sans Pareille D'un Certain Hans Pfaall

Benjamin Stahl
Putting aside the impossible amount of detail as to how the protagonist built his stupid balloon (none of that stuff sank in; for the first time in ages, I found myself skim-reading), this story does quite fascinating, especially in the way it describes the character struggling to maintain oxygen as he rises into space. Hans Pfaal was pretty long and heavily-written, and was not what I expected or wanted from Poe at all. But having said that, I did quite enjoy this story - especially the ending, ...more
Avel
Natalie
Jeffrey Smith
A very funny adventure steeped in the science of the day. Obviously reminded me of Jules Verne's "From the Earth to the Moon" in that it described the lunar voyage with great scientific details. The fact that the science was so rediculous made the story a very interesting read. Our astronaut actually traveled to the moon suspended in a basket from a gas balloon. His biggest challenge was air - but he solved the problem with an ingenious capsule design that used some kind of compressed air formul ...more
D. J.
Currently reading this very interesting story (written somewhat as a hoax) by Edgar Allen Poe, in English of course. Its called 'The Unparalleled Adventure Of One Hans Pfaall,' and it details the adventure of Hans as he becomes enamored with science and builds a balloon that allows him to make a trip to the moon.

Apparently it was an influence on Jules Verne and thus Georges Melies (the French were always huge Poe fans... see Charles Baudelaire, for example).

I'll write a more in-depth review on
Lee McGeorge
At first take this is a silly story for children, but on reflection it's a clever use of 'fantasy within fantasy' and an exploration into lies, deceit, truthfulness and belief.
Hans Pfall lands in the town square in a hot air balloon and recounts an astonishing tale of how he travelled to the moon and met the people there. The punchline comes in how well the people of the town will believe his amazing tale. Something that will linger in the minds of those who read into the themes of the story.
Phil Leader

This story is one of a number in a collection of Poe stories that I downloaded. I've always wanted to read Poe and this collection seemed like a good starting place.

The Unparalleled Adventure of One Hans Pfaall was written in 1835 and is a short story containing much that would later be labelled science fiction, The titular character lives in the Netherlands and disappears one day. Five years later a strange balloon-like craft appears and it's equally odd occupant hands the Mayor of Rotterdam a
Sam Kasbrick
2.5/5 stars
SIK Book Reviews
What you're in for: Astronomy. Depression. Experimentation. Balloon. Adventure. Aliens. Uncertainty.

My Thoughts:
Edgar Allan Poe is known most for his Gothic literature. However, he actually invented Detective Fiction and is thought to have been the first to write Science Fiction, with this exact story.

I am glad that I read this story, considering it is supposedly the first ever science fiction story. And for my challenge, it's one step toward reading all of Poe's stories. But, I have
Danns
What a mouthful of a story, very wordy, yet at the same time hysterical. The science involved in this while ludicrous is utterly imaginative on Poe's part. I could only imagine people reading this during his time period and being duped into believing this adventure to be true. Avery enjoyed it and so did I!
Riona
One of Poe's early science fiction stories, this tells the tale of Hans Pfall, who decides he has nothing to lose so why not travel to the moon in a hot air balloon? Fairly amusing, but it didn't really engage me that much. I probably would have enjoyed it more if it had been half the length.
Ευθυμία Δεσποτάκη
Είναι το μοναδικό έργο του Πόε που ήθελα πάρα πολύ να διαβάσω και στο δεύτερο μισό του είχα δίκιο. Το πρώτο διήγημα δε μου πολυάρεσε, μου θύμισε λίγο κακό Βερν και Συρανό ντε Μπερζεράκ, αλλά η Ρουφήχτρα ήταν άψογη, τρομακτική και γεμάτη ένταση. Πολύ ωραίο διήγημα, συναρπαστικό (αν και τελειώνει λίγο απότομα).
Kevin
Weird. I didn't realize Poe had written science fiction. I'm not sure exactly what happened at the end. . .was the whole story (within the story) a hoax or not? It almost felt as though Poe got tired of writing this story and decided to cut it short without wasting the fragment.
Brenda
It started off great, but then got bogged down with such minute detail I began to hate it, long-winded comes to mind
Susan
OMG, the massive boredom. The classic case of instantly forgetting 90% of what I just read.
Al Santiago
Citibank harassing ya? Wells Fargo getting you down? Well blow them the hell up, build a balloon out of trash and sail that mutha to the moon. Or just say you did and see how many people actually believe you.

Lisa
This is Poe's first published short story. It was an unsuccessful newspaper hoax that tells the story of a man who takes a balloon to space. It is an ok little story but was overshadowed by a much more successful hoax that was published a few days later. The story is pretty long for what it is and a lot of it isn't very interesting reading. The ending was the only part that was very interesting to me.
Nada
I know the idea of this book at its time was a piece of genius but all it did to me is making aware that I don't like science-fiction stories! I didn't not enjoy this short story at all. Not even a little bit. If only I have the ability to stop reading something I find myself not liking. But when I start reading I can not stop.
Vicky Skinner (mynameisbibliophile)
This is my first Poe story since Tell-Tale Heart back in middle school, and I found it to be very boring. I think the story had a really great concept to it, but I didn't really like the narrator, and I found myself drifting off most of the time. Hoping my next encounter will be a little better.
Joao Feiteira
Uma obra prima. Trata-se de um conto, que nos relata o embuste de uma viagem à lua num balão de ar quente. Poe adicionou à história pormenores científicos com bastante rigor para a época, o que nos leva a acreditar na veracidade da história.
Fantástico. Allan Poe no seu melhor.
Clay
Wow. Probably the hardest read ever. It was torture attempting to understand all of the scientific terminology incorporated through about 90% of the story itself. I think it would have been more pleasant if it were about 20000 words shorter, too.
Michael
An amazing experience to read this because I had no idea Poe wrote science fiction, or hoaxes, or social commentary. As a story, though, it dragged a bit in details, and the notes were even more tedious.

Original Publication June, 1835
Arax Miltiadous
Η κάθοδος του Μααστρεμ είναι από τα αγαπημένα μου διηγήματα. Το μόνο που έχω να πω είναι ότι κάθε φορά που ανακαλύπτω άλλο ένα διήγημα του Πόε που δεν ήξερα, μένω άναυδη.
Αστείρευτος είναι ο άνθρωπος πραγματικά.
Michelle
Edgar Allan Poe, tu materia es el horror.
Mis clases de física fueron más entretenidas que esto. Un eterno relato sobre "Como ir y sobrevivir en la Luna".
Red
from rotterdam to the moon!! the power of imagination. i liked hans a lot. when he leaves his wife he is so sincere. recommended
Abby
I skimmed through this story. It was really wordy as the other reviews have stated. I did not get into this one at all.
Bryce O'Connor
It has some good humor and some fun, but it's just too wordy and filled with unnecessary paragraphs.
Deedee23
The Essential Edgar Allan Poe Collection: His 9 Best Works (Halcyon Classics) by Edgar Allan Poe (2009)
Asgar
Interesting little story.
Tanya
Tanya is currently reading it
Apr 23, 2015
Suzanne
Suzanne is currently reading it
Apr 14, 2015
  • Life Ahead: On Learning and the Search for Meaning
  • Ben Ruhi Bey Nasılım
  • Kağnı, Ses, Esirler
  • Vatan Yahut Silistre
The name Poe brings to mind images of murderers and madmen, premature burials, and mysterious women who return from the dead. His works have been in print since 1827 and include such literary classics as “The Tell-Tale Heart,” “The Raven,” and “The Fall of the House of Usher.” This versatile writer’s oeuvre includes short stories, poetry, a novel, a textbook, a book of scientific theory, and hundr ...more
More about Edgar Allan Poe...
The Tell-Tale Heart and Other Writings The Complete Stories and Poems The Fall of the House of Usher and Other Tales Essential Tales and Poems The Cask of Amontillado