A Summery Saturday Morning

A Summery Saturday Morning

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  74 ratings  ·  17 reviews
A rhyming story about a family trip to the beach on a summer morning has geese chasing children, children chasing dogs, and dogs chasing everything!
Published January 24th 2000 by Turtleback Books (first published January 1st 1998)

Caroline Barron
Nov 26, 2013 Caroline Barron rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 0-9, parents
Having long been a family favorite, it is interesting to review ‘A Summery Saturday Morning’ from a more academic perspective.

The book’s success, and Mahy’s most venerable gift is in the rhyme. The rhyming doesn’t compromise a decent narrative (family going for walk with dogs, dogs causing mayhem, dogs have unexpected face-off with geese, happy family walks back the way they came), but enhances it. Alliteration offers enjoyable tongue-twister moments such as ‘seven sleek sisters’ and my favorite...more
Connie
I love this book. A woman and four kids - two white, two black, it's not sure how everybody is related, but that's fine - go walking to the beach with two dogs.

Who chase *everything*. Eventually, they chase the geese, and... well...

Let's just say that in real life, geese are vicious creatures that DO NOT BACK DOWN, and they bite, too!

It's very bouncy, nothing really scary happens (not even the geese), and the artwork is well done. For more fun, try singing it to "Mulberry bush" or "I saw three s...more
Andy
We got given this (for our son) to introduce us to Margaret Mahy (who lived locally). I'm sure kids would enjoy it but I found it a little repetitive (though I did enjoy the word 'guggliwugs') and I'm not a big fan of the illustrations either to be honest. Yet to be convinced.

21/07/14: update
I think I read this over 40 times this weekend to a sick son who decided this is his next favourite. As a consequence, not only can I recite it pretty much word for word, it's also grown on me, illustrations...more
Dolly
Nov 18, 2013 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
The narrative for this tale follows the tune to Here We Go Round the Mulberry Bush.

It's a humorous romp on a Saturday morning with children, adults and pets, and children will enjoy the sing-song narrative. The colorful and cartoonish illustrations complement the story nicely and conveyn images of a fun summer day. We enjoyed reading this book together.
Taylor Brune
This would be another great book to use when beginning to talk about rhyming words with kindergarteners. AFter reading this story, students could right their own list of rhyming words or even begin to write their own poems.
Kids love it as part of a summer storytime theme, especially if you sing the book to the tune of "The Wheels on the Bus!" The rhyming and repetition make it a great selection for early literacy lessons.
Rebecca
I thought this book had a funny ending, but I didn't care for the repetitive lines in the poem. I got tired of saying the same line over and over again, feeling like I should be singing instead of reading.
Lindsay
summer, geese and dogs, beach/water

musical rhythm

'The geese begin to run away,
Run away, run away.
The dogs run, too. They want to play
On a summery Saturday morning.'
Mekia
This rhyming book talks about things that are seen during the summer. It has a lot of rhyming that children can chime in on. It can also be used for a transition.
Barbara
Delightful! Margaret's way with writing rhythm in a story is wonderful. Such a simple story line and lovely illustrations- Mahy at her best!
Kim
Cute Story about a family going to the sea with the dogs. The dogs go after the geese and the geese go after the dogs.
Melissa
I always sing the lines because well, it feels right to sing it, and my kids love it.
Finn Marlowe
Awesome kids' book - you can get a good rhyme going!
Donna Blaber
Beautiful in every which way.
Emma
Emma added it
Jul 11, 2014
Darlene
Darlene marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2014
Tamil Selvan
Tamil Selvan marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Charlotte
Charlotte marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Margaret Mahy was a well-known New Zealand author of children's and young adult books. While the plots of many of her books have strong supernatural elements, her writing concentrates on the themes of human relationships and growing up.

Her books The Haunting and The Changeover: A Supernatural Romance both received the Carnegie Medal of the British Library Association. There have 100 children's boo...more
More about Margaret Mahy...
The Changeover The Seven Chinese Brothers The Tricksters Bubble Trouble The Haunting (Puffin Books)