Start by marking “A Summery Saturday Morning” as Want to Read:
A Summery Saturday Morning

A Summery Saturday Morning

A rhyming story about a family trip to the beach on a summer morning has geese chasing children, children chasing dogs, and dogs chasing everything!
Published January 24th 2000 by Turtleback Books (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about A Summery Saturday Morning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Summery Saturday Morning

Connie
Sep 17, 2008 Connie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. A woman and four kids - two white, two black, it's not sure how everybody is related, but that's fine - go walking to the beach with two dogs.

Who chase *everything*. Eventually, they chase the geese, and... well...

Let's just say that in real life, geese are vicious creatures that DO NOT BACK DOWN, and they bite, too!

It's very bouncy, nothing really scary happens (not even the geese), and the artwork is well done. For more fun, try singing it to "Mulberry bush" or "I saw three s
Caroline Barron
Nov 26, 2013 Caroline Barron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 0-9, parents
Having long been a family favorite, it is interesting to review ‘A Summery Saturday Morning’ from a more academic perspective.

The book’s success, and Mahy’s most venerable gift is in the rhyme. The rhyming doesn’t compromise a decent narrative (family going for walk with dogs, dogs causing mayhem, dogs have unexpected face-off with geese, happy family walks back the way they came), but enhances it. Alliteration offers enjoyable tongue-twister moments such as ‘seven sleek sisters’ and my favorite
Andy
Jul 21, 2014 Andy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: illustrated, jacob
We got given this (for our son) to introduce us to Margaret Mahy (who lived locally). I'm sure kids would enjoy it but I found it a little repetitive (though I did enjoy the word 'guggliwugs') and I'm not a big fan of the illustrations either to be honest. Yet to be convinced.

21/07/14: update
I think I read this over 40 times this weekend to a sick son who decided this is his next favourite. As a consequence, not only can I recite it pretty much word for word, it's also grown on me, illustrations
Dolly
Nov 18, 2013 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
The narrative for this tale follows the tune to Here We Go Round the Mulberry Bush.

It's a humorous romp on a Saturday morning with children, adults and pets, and children will enjoy the sing-song narrative. The colorful and cartoonish illustrations complement the story nicely and conveyn images of a fun summer day. We enjoyed reading this book together.
Teresa
Jul 26, 2014 Teresa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A small summer adventure--trying to get to the beach, dogs creating havoc by chasing some geese; try again with leashes.

You MUST sing this story: either "Here We Go Round the Mulberry Bush", "We Saw Three Ships" or even "The Wheels on the Bus". And then it's glorious.

The illustrations are funny, too--love the mean look in the goose's eye. A cheerful, slightly suspenseful summer story-time favorite.
Rebecca
Jun 12, 2008 Rebecca rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
I thought this book had a funny ending, but I didn't care for the repetitive lines in the poem. I got tired of saying the same line over and over again, feeling like I should be singing instead of reading.
Taylor Brune
Nov 16, 2013 Taylor Brune rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pk-1, picture-book
This would be another great book to use when beginning to talk about rhyming words with kindergarteners. AFter reading this story, students could right their own list of rhyming words or even begin to write their own poems.
Jan 18, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: storytime
Kids love it as part of a summer storytime theme, especially if you sing the book to the tune of "The Wheels on the Bus!" The rhyming and repetition make it a great selection for early literacy lessons.
Mekia
Oct 04, 2010 Mekia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This rhyming book talks about things that are seen during the summer. It has a lot of rhyming that children can chime in on. It can also be used for a transition.
Barbara
Feb 20, 2013 Barbara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Delightful! Margaret's way with writing rhythm in a story is wonderful. Such a simple story line and lovely illustrations- Mahy at her best!
Lindsay
Jun 22, 2008 Lindsay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
summer, geese and dogs, beach/water

musical rhythm

'The geese begin to run away,
Run away, run away.
The dogs run, too. They want to play
On a summery Saturday morning.'
Kim
Jul 16, 2009 Kim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture, summer
Cute Story about a family going to the sea with the dogs. The dogs go after the geese and the geese go after the dogs.
Ami Kennedy
Ami Kennedy rated it it was amazing
May 29, 2013
The Library Lady
The Library Lady rated it liked it
Jun 16, 2008
Elena
Elena rated it it was amazing
Mar 20, 2012
Julia
Julia rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2008
Michelle
Michelle rated it liked it
Oct 03, 2010
Amber
Amber rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2014
Chris
Chris rated it liked it
Dec 23, 2009
B.R. Connell
B.R. Connell rated it it was ok
May 31, 2014
Lynne
Lynne rated it liked it
Sep 09, 2012
Shanshad Whelan
Shanshad Whelan rated it liked it
Jan 23, 2013
Andrew
Andrew rated it it was ok
Sep 21, 2010
Robyn
Robyn rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2015
Helene Clarke
Helene Clarke rated it it was amazing
Jul 28, 2016
Melissa
Oct 02, 2012 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-or-teens
I always sing the lines because well, it feels right to sing it, and my kids love it.
Dean Duncan
Dean Duncan rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Margaret Mahy was a well-known New Zealand author of children's and young adult books. While the plots of many of her books have strong supernatural elements, her writing concentrates on the themes of human relationships and growing up.

Her books The Haunting and The Changeover: A Supernatural Romance both received the Carnegie Medal of the British Library Association. There have 100 children's boo
More about Margaret Mahy...