In Desperation (Jack Gannon #3)

In Desperation (Jack Gannon #3)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  179 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Eleven-year-old Tilly Martin is dragged from her suburban bedroom. Her mother, Cora, pleads for mercy but the kidnappers are clear: if they don't get their $5 million back in five days, Tilly dies. If anyone contacts police, Tilly dies.Journalist Jack Gannon's estranged sister, Cora, disappeared without a trace decades ago. Now she is frantically reaching out to him for he...more
Published April 1st 2011 by Mira Books (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about In Desperation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Desperation

Leslie Mesmer
20 years after Jack's sister disappeared he gets a call from her asking for his help.
Jack finds out he has an 11 year old niece and she has been kidnapped.
In following leads and learning about his sister's past the drug cartel emerges as the most likely suspect but why.
I started off drawn into the book but about halfway through I slowly struggled to stay involved in the story.
It starts off with a bang but then it backtracks and starts pulling in not only the main players but also secondary c...more
Michelle
‘In Desperation’ by Rick Mofina is the third and latest installment of his Jack Gannon series. I’m a new reader of Mofina, and until reading this book, I was totally unaware of this series. At the completion of ‘In Desperation’ I can tell you one thing...it’s time for me to do some back tracking because there is no way I can stop reading Rick Mofina’s work now.

In the middle of the night Cora Martin is bound to a chair and watches as two men walk out of her home with her eleven year old daughter,...more
Kelsey
Drug cartels, deep, dark, painful secrets, FBI, and a long lost brother all crash together to make this action packed story that will have you addicted from the first page. Cora Martin thought she has left her past behind her but when her daughter is kidnapped she knows that those floodgates are going to be opened. The only person she can turn to is her brother that she hasn't had contact with since she ran away at the age of eighteen. Jack Gannon is a a journalist with the World Press Alliance...more
Patricia

Jack Gannon is working on a story in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico. Jack is a journalist employed by Word Press Alliance. Jack and Isabel Luna, a crime reporter for El Heralda, a family owned newspaper in Juarez, have just discovered a mother cradling her dead son in her arms. The boy was only 16 and the third child that Paula Chavez had lost to the drug wars raging in Mexico.

Jack has also lost his family. His sister, Cora, left home when she was just a teen-ager. Jack’s parents are deceased. Prior to t...more
Baley Petersen
As much as I love crime-fighting movies and television shows, I am rarely intrigued by books of the same genre. I suppose that's because visual entertainment still pales in comparison to an active imagination. However, for whatever reason, Rick Mofina's action-packed novel caught my attention and demanded I give it my time.

Single mother Cora and her daughter Tilly are spending a quiet evening at home when two men posing as police officers arrive and kidnap Tilly. Cora is left with the daunting m...more
Cheryl
Cora awakes to hear a noise. She looks at the clock and it says 12:23 am. Cora is just about to fall asleep again, when she hears some voices. She gets up and goes to the front door. She opens it and there are two police officers. They come in the house and tell Cora that they are doing a routine check of the neighborhood as an escaped convict is on the loose. The next thing Cora knows, she is tied up and the men tell Cora that they want their five million dollars back that her boss, Lyle Galvie...more
Suspense Magazine
How far would you go to help a sister you hadn’t seen in over twenty years? Or a niece you’ve never met? What if your sister wasn’t telling you everything about her past and that lack of knowledge could determine whether her daughter is saved? These are the questions posed in Mofina’s latest thriller. Chock full of characters, this is a desperate search for a missing girl…and the truth.
As a teenager, Cora Gannon was gang raped. Unable to handle the situation, she turned to drugs and eventually r...more
Rich
Another solid, suspenseful, fast-paced thriller from Rick Mofina, although not his best work. As usual with Mr. Mofina, the story grabs you on page one and the twists and turns just don't stop. I did feel that at times there was some added fluff in the middle of the novel that was redundant and unnecessary. All in all it was still a good thriller, just not his best.
Tom Tischler
11 year old Tilly Martin is dragged from her home by two guys from a
Mexican cartel who accuse her mother of stealing 5 million from them
and give her 5 days to return it or her daughter dies. She calls her
brother Jack Ganon who is a wire service journalist that she has'nt seen
for 20 years because of a lot of mistakes she made when she was younger
Jack says that he will help her but as he digs into his sisters life he
discovers some of the things she has done but she guards the one secret
which can s...more
Arthur
The drug cartel renowned by their ever present threat to destroy enemies who steal from them unleash a sicario who is famed of nearly 200 kills. Unlike many stories In Desperation focuses on the rescue a victim who is being held for the ransom of stolen money. Jack Gannon hadn’t known he has a niece but now races in the works with Gannon’s affiliates of his news publishing network also FBI and Phoenix police, an all out effort in the determination to rescuing the eleven year old girl being held...more
Anne Dart
My heart went out to the 11-year-old Tillie who was kidnapped by thugs from a drug cartel through no fault of her own. She witnessed so much death and torture that I don't see how she could ever return to normalcy. So many close calls! I also sympathized with Jack Gannon who had been estranged from his sister Cora for twenty years. The vast range of emotions he and Cora experienced throughout the book! It was a couldn't-be-put-down thriller.
Loraine
A fast paced novel that grabs you at the beginning and doesn't let go until the end. This is the third in a series featuring reporter, Jack Gannon. He comes to the aid of his estranged sister when her daughter is abducted from her bedroom. Jack digs deep into his sister's past uncovering secrets as time is running out for his neice.

This novel gets 5/5 stars!

Benita
Everything he writes is GREAT!! He is canadian but writes as if he is american to sell more books - cannot blame him since that's how he makes a living but it bothers me. That said - he is an awesome writer & i will suck back anything he writes - just one book, Mr. Mofina - be a canadian & have it situated in canada - a displaced american, maybe?
Jamie Forrest
This was a book that I probably never would have picked up on my own. My mom brought it to me while I was in the hospital. I thought it was very very good. It kept me reading right to the last pages. This author is new to me and I'm happy to read that there are two other books in this series.
Jaime Lee
This was a fantastic book! I loved how the story crossed between the US and Mexico. What I really liked is that this was not your ordinary mystery it kept me on the edge of my seat and I could not put it down. I am anxiously awaiting the next Jack Gannon book!!!
Maureen
8 chapters in this book and I am giving up on it. The story line is not keeping my interest and the characters are dull. I have read other books by this author but find this one lacking in quality to others like Six Seconds and Vengence. Was disappointing to me.
Daniel Bustos
Fairly good. Did a good job of tying in subplots without being boring. Protagonist wasn't ever developed very well, but fairly likeable character. Not too vulgar. Book developed at a decent pace with a good ending, but somewhat anticlimactic.
Dawn
I really enjoyed this book. I know I read at least one other "Jack Gannon" book - might have been more, but it was good to find out what happend to his sister. Now I'm on to "The Bone Yard" by Jefferson Bass.
Chicken Little
My first by Mofina, so I didn't know what to expect. I really enjoyed this mystery. Well plotted and fast paced, this is a ride toward the unexpected with many twists and turns on the way. I am a fan now! =)
Wendy Cahill
This was the first Rick Mofina book I'd read. I liked the way Mofina wove all the different parts of the story together. I had difficulty putting the book down. I will definitely be reading more Mofina books.
Pamtallon
I listened to the audiobook. An exciting story but the sister's character drove me crazy! As another reviewer said, if I met Cora, I'd want to slap her. So I was glad when the story ended.
Linda
Really good book, lots of twists and turns to it. Mr. Mofina writes a great mystery. Really enjoyed both his books I read. New author I love.
Terry
Good action, good character development. I had a hard time putting it down. I will be looking to see what else this author offers.
Tom Kinney
Standard Rick Mofina fare. Entertaining and suspenseful, and the storyline with Gannon being reunited with his sister was interesting.
Christian Darby
This one had a nice pace and I enjoy Rick Mofina's style but the plot in general was a bit too blood and gore for me.
Harlequin Books
Miniseries: A Jack Gannon Novel
Category: Thriller
Janet
Loved it, great beach read
Ishita
Ishita marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Lou Williamson
Lou Williamson marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Rick Mofina is a former journalist and an award-winning author of several acclaimed thrillers. His reporting has put him face-to-face with murderers on death row in Montana and Texas. He has covered a horrific serial-killing case in California and an armored car-heist in Las Vegas, flown over Los Angeles with the LAPD Air Support Division and gone on patrol with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police n...more
More about Rick Mofina...
Six Seconds Cold Fear The Panic Zone (Jack Gannon #2) They Disappeared Vengeance Road (Jack Gannon #1)