Start by marking “Garbage! Monster! Burp!” as Want to Read:
Garbage! Monster! Burp!

Garbage! Monster! Burp!

3.61  ·  Rating Details  ·  799 Ratings  ·  61 Reviews
A monster at the bottom of a hill eats all of the garbage generated by the town on top of the hill. This provides two important benefits: The monster is happy with plenty to eat and the town stays nice and clean. Unfortunately, as the town grows, so does the amount of garbage the monster must consume. He gets bigger - and he starts burping. This is, as you can probably gue ...more
Published 2010

Brad
We were sitting on the patio of a busy restaurant and waiting for the cheque. My little Scoutie was getting seriosuly antsy, so I pulled her out of the high chair, plopped her in my lap and started reading Garbage Monster Burp. I'd read it to her before and hadn't liked it much, but I'd forgotten to delete it from my iPod, so there it was, ready to keep her busy for a good fifteen minutes.

Did it keep her busy? Sort of. It was mostly the iPod that kept her busy and the thrill of flipping the e-pa
Russell Phillips
Jan 16, 2012 Russell Phillips rated it liked it
My four year old son prefers paper books to my Kindle, but will sometimes ask me to read him a story from my Kindle.

He enjoyed this book, about a monster that eats a town's rubbish. The town grows, and so the monster has to eat more rubbish. The monster is a kind monster, so tries to eat it all, but there's too much. A bunch of kids talk to the monster, and realise the solution is to set up a recycling business so that the monster has less rubbish to eat.

It's a fun story, and my son enjoyed it.
ѦѺ™
Aug 08, 2011 ѦѺ™ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
the rhyming was better though the paper cuts weren't as good as the ones in When Cows Fly
nevertheless, i still enjoyed the story. author Tom Watson sure has a way of raising social and environmental awareness among his young readers.
again, this is better read on one's PC or a compatible tablet than on the Kindle to appreciate the colorful illustrations.
Bernadette
First half of the book was fun to read aloud but as the concepts and vocabulary started toward a higher level, the rhythm and rhyme did not work as well. While I liked the recycling lesson, I do not believe recycling should be taught as the main solution to our current waste problem and would like to have seen more of a focus on producing less garbage as well, which would have flowed nicely with the "more, more, more" theme in the book.
Topaz Terry
Feb 17, 2013 Topaz Terry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For young children who don't yet have the schema to understand how landfills run out of space, imagining an animal in its place is a great idea. I also am a fan of encouraging children to see themselves as change agents, especially when they are being presented with bull-pucky.
Janette Fuller
Jun 03, 2011 Janette Fuller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
"Garbage! Monster! Burp!", by Tom Watson, is the story of a friendly monster who eats all of the town's garbage. The town grows and the monster has to eat more and more garbage. The monster burps and clouds of burp-gas hang over the town. The monster gets bigger and sadder every day. Something has to be done! How do the kids save this town and help their burping friend?

The garbage-eating monster in this story has a problem. The town is growing and the amount of garbage is out-of-control. The ad
Derek Cooke
This was the very first Ebook that I read. This book told the story of a town and their special relationship with a friendly monster. The monster lived at the bottom of the hill and helped out the town by eating all of the town’s garbage. This relationship went on for years, until one day the town people hear this cross between an eruption and earthquake. When they investigate, the find the friendly monster had spent the night with a full tummy and burping. The town had grown, and was producing ...more
Briana
May 31, 2012 Briana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Garbage! Monster! Burp! starts out with a rather nice rhyming scheme, which can be impressive in children's literature. Unfortunately, the rhymes later fall apart, and some of the story goes with them. What begins as a cute tale about a monster that eats a town's garbage soon becomes a moralistic tale that is making a lot of arguments: We should all recycle. The government is stupid. Progress and growth can be bad. Only children have the answers for the future. And so forth. Are these messages r ...more
M. Portal
Aug 23, 2015 M. Portal rated it it was amazing
Fun

It's funny and terrific,amazing and awesome for any age!

This is a terrific book about a garbage monster who eats garbage!

Heather Marie Roback
Dec 12, 2014 Heather Marie Roback rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
It in press everyone

This like the best book ever they even can read it I love this book have nice winter break
Scott Harrison
Nov 01, 2015 Scott Harrison rated it liked it
Good book means 3 and a half

I can,t really explain but I think it,s good but now you know that I like this book so yaa
Audrey Kopperud
Mar 17, 2014 Audrey Kopperud rated it it was amazing
Great problem solving

Nothing bad great book for kids.
We read this book every night.
I love how the lay out is
you ma
JENNIFER BESSOR
Oct 07, 2015 JENNIFER BESSOR rated it did not like it
Hate it mons

Youbcuz tub gig bc tub ebb l.p. dad :/ :/ f if rtf j. Aww as Aaron Aaron's Aaron as
Valerie
Feb 23, 2016 Valerie rated it it was amazing
Highlighting

It's like a good book to me and I love it so much better than that garbage
Darlene
Jun 24, 2011 Darlene rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Ecological-minded parents and their children
Recommended to Darlene by: It was a free Kindle book
I am a child at heart. A baby-boomer. I didn't like reading this in two-tone. I read it on my Kindle-PC so I could enjoy the colored pictures. The story was wonderfully done. The rhythm of the rhyme got thrown off a bit but I loved the vocabulary introduced. I would have had many conversations with my children with a book like this one, alas, they are adults themselves now and read their own flavors of books. The illustrations were delightful. What a great idea to do them in felt! I hope by the ...more
Aniket Mahajani
Mar 31, 2015 Aniket Mahajani rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first Ebook & very sweet little story of a town & its garbage collector
Cheryl M-M
I downloaded this for my youngest son, who is 7 years old.
I would put the story in an older age bracket based on difficult words and comprehension of some parts of the text.
It is a book I would recommend for use in school, because it breaks down the world of creating and disposing of garbage for children. I know that our primary school tackles environmental issues in class and this is a good introduction.
I do think that bringing it down to a simpler reading level by changing a few words here and
Jaiganesh Muthunalla
#BooksIRead Good read for kids #recycle
Lucia D. Lopez
Jan 25, 2015 Lucia D. Lopez rated it it was amazing
Five Stars

My son likes when the children help the monster and that the story rhymes. He gave this book the 5 stars.
Rachel Carrington
Since I work with a lot of children's books, I've been reading some to see what else is out there. I happened upon this book when I was reloading my Kindle, and I'm glad I did. It's a short story but has creative illustrations and allows the children to be the heroes of the story.

There is an environment/recycling message in the story, but unless children are older, they're really not going to pick up on it. All they're going to see is a fun story with a friendly monster and smart kids.

Kudos, T
Great book by Tom Watson!

The illustrations were creative. It looks as if they are made of construction paper. They represent the text perfectly, which is hard to find in a picture book.

The monster was adorable! Even though he was feeling really sick and full, he continued to eat the town's garbage. Then, the kids found a solution! They developed a recycling center. It helped the town make money and helped the monster not eat too much.

This book shows that kids can do anything they set their mind
Cheryl
A cute book with adorable pictures and room for grins and giggles. Very very strong message on recycling. I liked the children's empathy for the monster.

I'm not a huge fan of "kids are all brilliant problem solvers and adults are all stupid." type of books but ignoring that, the book communicated its author's message clearly.

The book formatted nicely when read on Kindle for PC with two columns.
Bonnigene Cloud
Jan 13, 2012 Bonnigene Cloud rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a really cute story about a town that needed to solve their excessive garbage problem...it was of course solved by the children of the town!

It is fun to read and poem like, which made it super fun for my little niece. Tom Watson's fun imagination gives another way to encourage future generations to do their part to keep our planet clean and recycle.
Jenn
Jan 02, 2014 Jenn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very cute book! It gives a message about stewardship and compassion that is both serious and playful. The illustrations are a bit child-like, but that does not distract from the story.
J.R. Barker
Mar 19, 2013 J.R. Barker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
A charming rhyming tale about a monster who eats garbage.

The rhyme does falter every now and then, but it only wobbles a bit.

The story itself contains a moral about the dangers of not recycling and taking advantage of the easy option even if it's not the best.

I thought it was charming story, well told.
Lori
This is a great book if just reading to your child or to a classroom. It instills learning about recycling, greed, and learning how to help yourself. The illustrations are very cute and simple enough for everyone to get the contex of the story...I will read again.
Steph
Nov 23, 2011 Steph rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a wonderful story about a monster who eats the town's garbage. I wish we had one of those around here! This would be a good book for young children, especially for expanding their vocabulary. I can't wait to read more from the author.
Carolyn Price
Mar 16, 2013 Carolyn Price rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My kids really loved this book, and I enjoyed the illustrations which seemed to be made from felt and other fabric. Just a different look which I appreciated. Even my oldest came around the sofa when he heard the other two giggling. I recommend.
Vim
Just recently discovered this in iBooks. What caught my attention is that it's for kids and it's free. The story is written in a poetic style and the illustrations are cute. Will be reading more from this author. =]
Heather
Nov 30, 2012 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
hahahaha - This book made me laugh. I loved it. The pictures were colorful, the meaning was clear, and it was funny with great rhymes. (Although, the word "byproduct" felt a little forced.) Lol.
  • I'm Just Like You (Cougar Cub Tales)
  • Henry Burp - Mind Your Manners
  • Maebelle's Hat
  • Happily Ever After (Girls to the Rescue #1)
  • I Love You This Much: A Song of God's Love [With CD]
  • Squidge: Little Elf, Big Trouble
  • I'll Follow the Moon
  • Mrs. Gorski, I Think I Have The Wiggle Fidgets
  • The Children's Book of Christmas Stories
  • Burly and Grum and the Secret City
  • The Elephant's Child
  • The Day I Met Dr. Seuss
  • Norbert (Norbert the Horse, #1)
  • The Berenstain Bears and the G-Rex Bones (Big Chapter Books)
  • Don't Juggle Bees! And Other Useless Advice For Silly Children
  • Grandpa Hates the Bird: The Battle Begins
  • Willy and Hugh
  • Secret Agent Splat!
Tom is the author and draws the original sketches for all the Stick Dog stories. He lives in Chicago with his wife, daughter and son. They also have a dog named Shadow. Tom did not want to name the dog Shadow. He wanted to name him ‘Put Your Shirt On.’ It’s a long story. Sometimes when Tom is visiting schools, he shares the story.

Tom’s first jobs out of college were in politics. He worked for U.S.
More about Tom Watson...