Start by marking “Patriots: The Vietnam War Remembered from All Sides” as Want to Read:
Patriots: The Vietnam War Remembered from All Sides

Patriots: The Vietnam War Remembered from All Sides

4.44 of 5 stars 4.44  ·  rating details  ·  217 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Christian G. Appy's monumental oral history of the Vietnam War is the first work to probe the war?s path through both the United States and Vietnam. These vivid testimonies of 135 men and women span the entire history of the Vietnam conflict, from its murky origins in the 1940s to the chaotic fall of Saigon in 1975. Sometimes detached and reflective, often raw and emotiona...more
Published May 26th 2003 by Viking Adult (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Patriots, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Patriots

linhtalinhtinh
This book is really heavy, for it contains not only accounts of the war, but it contains the views of the war. And it is views that we struggle the most to understand, to agree or disagree, to sympathize or to feel indifferent, to admire or to hate. Throughout the book, I have all kinds of emotions. What surprises me is that I am very easy to be moved, but difficult to be angered. This book perhaps has that kind of effect on me, I accept that we're so diverse and different as humans.

I appreciate...more
Olethros
-Detrás de todo evento hay personas. Detrás de una guerra, también.-

Género. Historia.

Lo que nos cuenta. Historia de la Guerra de Vietnam desde la perspectiva de una significativa cantidad de personas que estuvieron allí, de sus testimonios y vivencias, para ofrecer, como indica el subtítulo de la obra, “una historia oral”.

¿Quiere saber más de este libro, sin spoilers? Visite:

Laverne
Although the Vietnam war was going on in my lifetime, I didn't know or really understand what it was all about. I didn't understand why our servicemen and women were not treated better when they came home. I didn't get what Jane Fonda thought she was doing. I just didn't know why any of it was as it was. This book has so many different "essays" from people who were there it becomes a little clearer but I also feel the need to understand more about the history of Vietnam. Then will probably find...more
Christopher Rex
Incredible primary source about the Vietnam War. Stories told from all sides - from the soldiers on both sides, to nurses, commoners, doctors, generals in the US (and Vietnam) and everything in-between. Amazing. If you've ever wanted a "full" perspective of what the war was (and was like) to everybody involved, this is your book. It is all first-hand accounts and the stories are amazing. From Vietcong using the tubing from downed-aircraft for blood-transfusions to women peasants filling in bomb-...more
Joseph Kovacs
Read this in accompaniment with Appy's Vietnam War class at UMASS Amherst. A wonderful depiction of a very misunderstood Cold War conflict. Appy's skillful historical writing and effective implementation of oral history make this a very informative, enjoyable read. Looking forward to his future works.
Mimi
An amazingly great coverage of all sides of the Vietnamese/American war, from both countries. I wanted to read because one of the entries was by someone I knew, a vietnamese girl who came here when she was 3 and who recently died. Her entry was very revealing, and the book as a whole is excellent.
Izmael Arkin
I was looking for a book that would give me a strong understanding of the Vietnam war as a whole. I didn't think it was possible as this is such a complex war. Yet, this book was able to provide perspectives of the war from everyone from american soldiers, journalists, and mothers to Vietnamese citizens and soldiers. This book is very intense at times as can be expected. The author does a wonderful job of providing background information when necessary. If you are looking for a book to begin lea...more
Todd Kruse
I purchased this book at one of my favorite book stores - Hill Avenue Books in Spirit Lake, Iowa - probably around 2006 and read it immediately. I was reminded of this book while teaching my World Politics college course last night so wanted to add it to my Read list.

Since my two godfathers served in the US Marines in Vietnam reading this book was personally important to me but beyond that it is just an excellent book that is well written, informative, and thought provoking. Americans should re...more
Ron Fitzwater
An uncomfortable look at another dark time in American history.
Jessica
Jul 20, 2008 Jessica rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Completely unbiased. I learned so much about the Vietnam war; a lot that I'm not so sure I wanted to know. But mostly, I learned that the majority of people knew next to nothing about it when it was actually happening, and people know even less now. This is a part of our country's history that most people try to ignore but this book made me realize that this was actually one of the most important eras of America. It's a long, hard read but it allows for a complete understanding of what was going...more
Meghan
Appy's book is an amazing and innovative way to recount the Vietnam War. The various interviews he held represent a wide range of people who fought in or were affected by the war. Every story is moving. I bought this book for a college class and have re-read it three times since. There is a new lesson to be learned in every page. Appy also does a good job explaining the politics of the war in his introductions to each chapter. I can't recommend this enough.
Karin C.
A history of of the war in Vietnam from both the American and Vietnamese sides. Much more than a comprehensive anthology of first-person accounts: a true mirror into the time and place from the perspectives of infantrymen, politicians, mothers, pilots, nurses, poets, brothers, artists, and so many more. The book is divided into in terms of time and event, and Appy sets up the background of each section with swift, straightforward prose.
James Marland
Just back from a holiday in Vietnam, and while there was exposed to many views about the war. As the author says, "...only a surprisingly narrow range of Vietnam War experiences have gained widespread attention". In this volume you can hear from the nurse, the draft dodger, the activist, the patriot, the prisoner, the artist, the poet, the diplomat and dozens of nameless Vietnamese whose voices are being heard for the first time.
Courtney Whelan
I was able to learn more about the Vietnam War from "Patriots" then from any other source I have tried. It gives a 360 view of the war from all ranks and sides. I really enjoyed being able to read stories from view points not discussed regularly such as from women and Vietnamese citizens fighting on both sides of the war. Although an amazing book, I would not recommended it if the reader knows nothing about the war fought in Vietnam.
Joe
I bought this book for Appy's class at UMASS Amherst. Of all the books I had to read for the History Department, this was by far my favorite. Appy does an amazing job giving you all sides of the war. For a history class this is what you want to read because his it has in-depth interviews about the war. I highly recommend this to anyone who is interested in the Vietnam War.
Alan
First person accounts by American generals, draft dodgers who went to Canada, Vietnamese, Viet Cong, nurses, doctorsm Playboy bunnies who came on USO tours, James Brown, Country Joe MacDonald, children shot and injured who were brought to the States and adopted. This was an excellent book and really demonstrates the moral debate about the conflict.
Up2orbit
This oral history of the Vietnam War covers many different perspectives of the war and the culture of those war years. It was put together to help the reader see the big picture and also the individual human trauma caused on all sides. An extremely good read, although I recommend reading some background information on the Vietnam War as well.
William Clegg
Jan 08, 2013 William Clegg rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to William by: History Professor
This book is an eye-opening collection of narratives that changed my entire view of the Vietnam War. It gives the reader a chance to hear the viewpoint of almost every kind of participant imaginable. At the end you will question, and rightly so, the justification of war and America's rightful place in the modern world.
Tim
I don't know why, but first hand accounts of Vietnam fascinate me. This collection holds all sorts of experiences from all sorts of people. My favorites so far have been accounts from Vietnamese children. Their naive perspective somehow really puts the absurdity of the whole conflict into focus.
Hollis
This is an excellent read and a must for anyone interested in a range of topics: The Cold War, the Vietnam War, "the American War", colonialism, Communism, the 1960s and 70s, etc.,etc. Read viewpoints from all sides and perspectives. Simply one of the most interesting books I have ever read.
MG
I found this work extremely informative, stimulating, and moving. Though it is 600+ pages, I felt like it moved rather quickly. if there is any single book to read about the Vietnam war, this is it. It is one of the best non-fiction works I have ever read--and I've read quite a few.
Shannon
This is a really great book because you get American and Vietnamese perspective of the Vietnam war. A lot of time when studying history, or wars you only see one perspective. Patriots opens ones eyes to the complexity of the Vietnam War.
Lauren Tran
This is the best book on the Vietnam War that I have ever read. The book presents an oral history of the war from all sides. The various accounts were not only comprehensive, they opened my eyes to the complexity of the war.
Brent
Excellent accounts by some of the people (American, Vietnamese, Australian, etc.) who were involved directly and indirectly in the Vietnam War from 1961 to 1975. Some of the accounts contain strong language.
Joe
Dec 21, 2008 Joe rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
This was an exremely good book. I learned a lot about the war from both sides. I am amazed how screwed up our government was, well maybe is. I saw the same mistakes in Vietman that we are making in Iraq.
Katie
Such a great collection of primary sources, from so many perspectives. This is the quintessential one, if you're looking for a broad range of sources!
Jessica
Awesome awesome awesome oral history of the American War in Vietnam from all sides.
Kyessa
Absolutely amazing! Should be required reading for every U.S. citizen!
Mark Pool
Wow, this is one of the best books I've ever read about Vietnam!
Dane
Good wide-range collection of oral interviews.
  • A Vietcong Memoir: An Inside Account of the Vietnam War and Its Aftermath
  • Nam: The Vietnam War in the Words of the Men and Women Who Fought There
  • And a Hard Rain Fell
  • The Cat From Hue: A Vietnam War Story
  • SOG: Secret Wars of America's Commandos in Vietnam
  • The Killing Zone: My Life in the Vietnam War
  • America's Longest War: The United States and Vietnam, 1950-1975 (Fourth Edition)
  • Five Years To Freedom
  • Bloods: An Oral History of the Vietnam War by Black Veterans
  • We Are Soldiers Still: A Journey Back to the Battlefields of Vietnam
  • Everything We Had: An Oral History of the Vietnam War
  • A Better War: The Unexamined Victories and Final Tragedy of America's Last Years in Vietnam
  • The German Generals Talk
  • The Vietnam Wars 1945-1990
  • The Sacred Willow: Four Generations in the Life of a Vietnamese Family
  • Ho Chi Minh: A Life
  • The Last Valley: Dien Bien Phu and the French Defeat in Vietnam
  • Dear America: Letters Home from Vietnam
Working-Class War: American Combat Soldiers and Vietnam Vietnam: The Definitive Oral History, Told From All Sides Cold War Constructions: The Political Culture Of United States Imperialism, 1945 1966 (Culture, Politics, And The Cold War) American Reckoning: The Vietnam War and Our National Identity History of the United States