Start by marking “Scholar (Imager Portfolio, #4)” as Want to Read:
Scholar (Imager Portfolio, #4)

Scholar (Imager Portfolio #4)

4.13  ·  Rating Details ·  2,444 Ratings  ·  122 Reviews
Hundreds of years before the time of Imager, the continent of Lydar is fragmented.  Years of war have consolidated five nations into three — Bovaria, Telaryn, and Antiago. Quaeryt is a scholar and a friend of Bhayar, the young ruler of Telaryn. Worried about his future and the escalating intrigues in Solis, the capital city, Quaeryt persuades Bhayar to send him to Tilbor, ...more
Published November 8th 2011 by Tor Books (first published November 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Scholar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scholar

Jim
Jun 17, 2014 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mar2017 Review: This is the first book in the series chronologically, set about 700 years prior to the first trilogy in the series, & features Quaeryt, an orphan raised by Scholars. He doesn't have much money, but he studied & stays friends with Bhayar, a young, ambitious king. Quaeryt wasn't always a scholar, but after 6 years of working for a living as a sailor, he decides that scholarship is a better path to fulfilling his own ambitions, even if he does have a deep distrust of palace ...more
Chionesu
Jun 28, 2012 Chionesu rated it really liked it
What I enjoy most about L.E. Modesitt Jr. is his blend of fantasy, physics, sociology, psychology, and religion. His characters become partners in adventure for the reader, and the social dynamics are every bit as engaging and complex as what most people encounter.

The only detractor, if it can really be called that given the various narrative preferences of Modesitt Jr.'s readership, is the slower pace of action as compared to Imager and Imager's Challenge. Those who favor a more sophisticated e
Stefan
In a pattern that’s by now familiar for L.E. Modesitt Jr., Scholar marks a new beginning in the IMAGER PORTFOLIO series. The book is set several hundred years before the events portrayed in the three “Rhentyll” novels Imager, Imager’s Challenge, and Imager’s Intrigue. Because of this, Scholar shares no characters with the earlier novels in the series and can be read separately. However, if you haven’t read the Rhentyll novels yet and are in the mood for some good, thoughtful fantasy, I still rec ...more
Daniel
Nov 13, 2014 Daniel rated it really liked it
Jos jedna odlicna knjiga od Modesita.Intaligentna, sa likovima koji se ponasaju i rezonuju ko pravi ljudi. Nije naivna ko sto ume dosta knjiga da bude. Jedino sto moze nekome da smeta da je knjiga relativno spora i voli fino da opisuje sve sta se desava. Meni odgovara ali ima oni koji imaju manje strpljenja od mene :)

Ako ste citali bilo sta od ovog pisca a svidelo vam se slobodno navalite.
Michael Manning
May 19, 2012 Michael Manning rated it it was amazing
I just love everything Modesitt has written. I honestly believe the man could write a story about someone watching grass grow and I would still love it.

Something about the careful nature of his plots always draws me in.

This book did not disappoint.
Jo
Jan 23, 2012 Jo rated it really liked it
I quite enjoyed the book. “Scholar” is set in the same world as the excellent Imager trilogy [“Imager”, “Imager's Challenge”, and “Imager's Intrigue”] but it is not “Imager 4” as it is set several centuries before the original series, before Solidar was a unified country. It doesn’t share any characters with the first series. I would say that it can be read without having read first trilogy and, as usual for L.E. Modesitt, Jr., the world-building is superb; but I also think having read the first ...more
Liviu
This is a book that starts a prequel series to Imager but it is a standalone as storyline goes with a definite ending to its main thread though of course more is to come.

It has some similarity with the 3rd Imager book as it being more of a fantasy thriller than anything though it has quite a lot of battles and fights too, so it moves toward clear adventure in the last third

It is also a very clear example of the classical approach to sff - the super competent but not destined hero that was favore
William Bentrim
Dec 15, 2011 William Bentrim rated it it was amazing
Scholar by L.E. Modesitt, jr

In the spirit of the terrific Recluse series, the Imager series debuts a new world of similar interest. Imagers, must like mages in the Recluse series seem both powerful and powerless. This book deals with an Imager who, in self defense, has masked his skills and lives his life as a simple scholar, who really is not that simple.

Modesitt has a distinct style that permeates his books. I enjoy the self depreciating nature of his protagonists and their normalcy in dealin
Keilani Ludlow
Dec 15, 2011 Keilani Ludlow rated it really liked it
If you like his Imager series, or his Corean Chronicles series for that matter - because they're not the same but they are
similar - then you'll like this one. As with all his fantasy, it leans a bit more towards sci-fi, and it's full of deep ethical
questions and discussions. His main character is a GOOD guy without being perfect, which I always enjoy.

This series jumps backwards in time, a few hundred years or so, before the original Imager series. It's a nice way to
refresh a setting that has
Deanne Roberts
Jan 16, 2012 Deanne Roberts rated it it was amazing
Once again L.E. Modesitt Jr. has given us a compelling story. Set several hundreds of years before his first two Imager novels "Scholar" shows us a world before imagers became organized into a cohesive force. As in most Modesitt novels the main character Quaeryt is a modest and moral man with no aspirations of power. And yet he finds himself in a position to create great changes while defending his kings realm. The writing is as always excellent and the story interesting. My only complaint is th ...more
Scott
Nov 14, 2011 Scott rated it really liked it
3.5 rounds up to 4. :)

Good solid book by Modesitt - not really a good starting point for the world; however, in context of being book 4 in the world, and the first book of what I can only presume is the start of another series it works well.

As it seems I keep saying, the book starts slow, it is a political intrigue type novel, and there is a wide cast of characters; though, honestly, unless some of the folks who are introduced in the first third show up in future books, Chekov's gun never fires.
Steve
Jan 02, 2012 Steve rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've enjoyed the Saga of Recluce series for years, enjoy the continuing Corean Chronicles and was happy to try the Imager Portfolio when it first came out. Scholar definitely does not disappoint- the writing is smooth, intrigue interesting and it looks like we're going to see the beginnings of formal training and recognition of imagers somewhere in the series. An excellent read, as all of his work is, definitely looking forward to the release of Princeps in a few months.
Laura Gilfillan
Feb 03, 2012 Laura Gilfillan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read
I enjoyed this book as much as the others in the imager portfolio, although I was a little disappointed at first that it did not take up with the same characters. But only at first, and then I was quite taken in with it. I really especially liked the ending on this one, and look forward to any more books in this series, should the author be inclined to write any more.
Craig
Nov 24, 2011 Craig rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
The start of a sub-series prequel to the Imager books, although in some ways I thought it "felt" more like the author's Corus and Recluce series. Perhaps it's because it takes place in a more unsettled environment like the other two, rather than the more citified, stable setting in the previous Imager novels. Definitely a pleasure for Modesitt fans for sure.

Re-read 2/15
Craig Corlis
Mar 30, 2012 Craig Corlis rated it it was amazing
Another great novel in the Imager series. Although Quaeryt didn't grow on me quite as fast as Rhenn did from the original trilogy, and the romance introduced sort of felt forced at the end, the journey he faced and challenges he overcame during this first book set a nice stage for the books to come.
Steven
Mar 31, 2014 Steven rated it liked it
I was expecting a continuation of the characters from book 3 so I was surprised when that wasn't the case. That said, this book started a little slow like the others I have read from this author. After getting into the story I did enjoy the book and will read the next.
Edward Klose
May 22, 2012 Edward Klose rated it it was amazing
I am currently in a re-read, as the next book in this series comes out this week. Really have enjoyed it, even the second time around. Starts a little slower than the previous three. And as usual with Modesitt, this goes back an era. He likes to go out of time sequence.
Aaron Anderson
Mar 10, 2015 Aaron Anderson rated it liked it
Shelves: 5-fantasy, 2015
I read this whole second series, though it's listed as 4-8th in the original series. I quite liked this second series. It tends to be more exciting when there are wars going on, and battles. I did find the first book rather slow, so it gets a 3-star, but the rest get 4.
Chani
May 02, 2012 Chani rated it it was amazing
This was a great prequel to the Imager Series. I really enjoy seeing the main character grow, and do his best to do the right thing, even as he is keeping his abilities secret.
Ron
Dec 14, 2011 Ron rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Interesting backstory to the Imager novels. Twist at the ending. Interesting to see if there are more volumes in backstory tale.
Fran
Nov 20, 2011 Fran rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fantasy
The latest in Modesitt's great Imager Portfolio. I can see this series expanding as the Recluse series did.
Lori Mason
Dec 08, 2011 Lori Mason rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, x2011
Different, a lot more subtleties in this one.
Kerr Cuhulain
Dec 02, 2011 Kerr Cuhulain rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy-fiction
Prequel to the books in the Imager portfolio already out there. Great characters and lots of intrigue.
Forrest
Oct 14, 2012 Forrest rated it liked it
Shelves: cbr4
In practice, there are two solutions to mental stagnation. The first is to innovate; take the established scenario or problem and approach it with new ideas or a different perspective. The second is to do something else. If Modesitt successfully innovated in Imager’s Intrigue, the third book in the Imager Portfolio, he is now using the second tactic, abandoning everything but the setting from book three. Scholar upends the progression of the series by taking us back to the formation of Solidar a ...more
Kathleen Kurdziel
really, really slow.
Sonia Lal
Quaeryt supplements his income by imaging coins from whatever copper or silver is lying around. He tried to make gold coins once, but the effort nearly killed him. ;)

He is ship-wrecked, attacked, half-drowned and spends the second half of the book in a war zone. He is shot with a crossbow and pokes at people with a staff.

Despite all that Scholar contains very few fights, chases, slashing at the bad guys and things like that. That isn’t surprising; Quaeryt has a bad leg and doesn’t have any wea
WillowBe
Sep 10, 2012 WillowBe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This type of book is for a particular type of person. Do you like first person narrative? A hero who questions himself incessantlly? Can you take that your poor hero is chroniclaly misunderstood though he is doing the right thing? Are you interested in catalouge of architectural details and military strategems? Do you like history? If not, throw this book down.

These books are much like the Foreigner series by CJ in the minute details and descriptions of life ina foreign land/environment. The str
Deborah Jade
Feb 17, 2017 Deborah Jade rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2017
The writing in this book just draws you and makes you want to keep reading the words and enjoying the world he is painting for you to enter. Modesitt has a keen understanding of how human relationships work and his characters don't just waltz through the book and come out the other end a hero. Instead, they slowly journey along, run into challenges, get to know people and through them, you begin to understand the world they live in.
I really enjoyed reading about Quaeryt's adventure, and in parti
Kevin
Jul 10, 2013 Kevin rated it liked it
In the first through third books of the Imager Portfolio, we follow Rehnn as he climbs the ladder of Imagisle. In the fourth book however, we are introduced to an entirely new character.

Quaeryt is a scholar and closeted imager who is in the service of Lord Bhayar, the young ruler of Telaryn (old kingdom/state in Solidar). He is sent to a newly conquered region to get a feel for the locals and proceeds to stir up intrigue and plots wherever he goes (fairly typical for an Imager, am I right?).

Wh
Jefferson
Mar 09, 2015 Jefferson rated it really liked it
I picked this one up after having read the first three of the Imager's Portfolio a year or two ago. I was wary because the last three books in the series, starting with this one, Scholar, go back hundreds of years from the story of Rhennthyl, the main character of the first three books. Quaeryt, though, does not disappoint. His character reminds me of Clancy's Jack Ryan, the bookish analyst who becomes an incidental spy and hero.

I also enjoy Modesitt's writing, which can, at times, show an odd
  • Priestess of the Eggstone
  • The Straits of Galahesh (Lays of Anuskaya, #2)
  • Child of the Sword (The Gods Within, #1)
  • Blood of Ambrose (Morlock Ambrosius, #1)
  • The Daemon Prism (Collegia Magica, #3)
  • The Traitor's Daughter (The Veiled Isles Trilogy, #1)
  • City of Night (The House War, #2)
  • Spellbound (Spellwright, #2)
  • The Book of Transformations (Legends of the Red Sun, #3)
  • The Tainted City (Shattered Sigil, #2)
  • Guardians of the Desert (Children of the Desert, #2)
  • King's Shield (Inda, #3)
  • No Going Back (Jon & Lobo, #5)
  • The Yellow Palace (The Inner Seas Kingdom, #2)
  • Antietam (The Civil War Battle Series, #3)
  • Initiate's Trial (Wars of Light and Shadow, #9; Arc 4 - Sword of the Canon, #1)
  • Petrodor (A Trial of Blood & Steel, #2)
  • Requiem (Psalms of Isaak, #4)
L. E. (Leland Exton) Modesitt, Jr. is an author of science fiction and fantasy novels. He is best known for the fantasy series The Saga of Recluce. He graduated from Williams College in Massachusetts, lived in Washington, D.C. for 20 years, then moved to New Hampshire in 1989 where he met his wife. They relocated to Cedar City, Utah in 1993.

He has worked as a Navy pilot, lifeguard, delivery boy, u
More about L.E. Modesitt Jr....

Imager Portfolio (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Imager (Imager Portfolio, #1)
  • Imager's Challenge (Imager Portfolio, #2)
  • Imager's Intrigue (Imager Portfolio, #3)
  • Princeps (Imager Portfolio, #5)
  • Imager's Battalion (Imager Portfolio, #6)
  • Antiagon Fire (Imager Portfolio, #7)
  • Rex Regis (Imager Portfolio, #8)
  • Madness in Solidar (Imager Portfolio, #9)
  • Treachery's Tools (Imager Portfolio, #10)
  • Assassin’s Price (Imager Portfolio, #11)

“Of necessity, you will have to maintain her respect becasue I will not have my sister ever disrespected." Bhayar” 0 likes
“Are men and woman so weak and so stupid that the can only do what is right because of the threat of an almighty power? Can they not see that if all behave well, then all benefit more, even the most powerful?” 0 likes