Start by marking “Maybelle in the Soup” as Want to Read:
Maybelle in the Soup

Maybelle in the Soup

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  181 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Maybelle is a lovely, plump cockroach. She lives in her own cozy little home under the refrigerator of Mr. and Mrs. Peabody. Maybelle knows it's best to stay hidden away, but she simply adores food. Just once she would love to taste something yummy before it hits the floor!

When the Peabodys invite a Very Important Guest for dinner, Maybelle can't resist. She takes a teeny
Published September 4th 2007 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Maybelle in the Soup, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Maybelle in the Soup

Chelsea
Cute, action-packed easy chapter book. Clever and funny, with a spunky little heroine who is led astray by her temptations. She may be a cockroach, but it's hard not to root for her!
Gayle
Maybelle yearns for the good life. She wants what she can't have--to enjoy dinner right off the plate instead of eating crumbs off the floor. Maybelle is a cockroach, not the most endearing of protagonists. She knows the rules for staying alive."When its light stay out of sight; if you're spied, better hide, and never meet with human feet." Maybelle tries to remember these rules as she struggles to fulfill her dream of eating a real meal. With the help of Henry, her flea friend, she manages quit ...more
Miss Gardner
I have to admit, I wasn't very excited about reading a book with a cockroach as the main character, but I think you will like this short, funny book! Maybelle is a cockroach who loves food. Even though it would be much safer to stay in her home under the refrigerator until night, Maybelle ventures out in daylight in search of a delicious snack with hilarious consequences.
Dolly
May 07, 2011 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2011, childrens, pets
We've read both of the books in the Maybelle series by Katie Speck and Paul Rátz de Tagyos. We really liked them, and although we read them out of order, it didn't seem to matter much. The humor is entertaining and the illustrations are cute. I like that they feature "icky bugs" like a cockroach and a flea (and a fly in the second book.) I think it helps to show that every creature has a purpose in nature, no matter how gross we may find them to be. I see that the next book, Maybelle at the Fair ...more
Amanda
This is an amusing story about a cockroach, Maybelle, and flea, Henry, who live in the house of a fastidious couple, Mr. and Mrs. Peabody. (Mr. Peabody looks remarkably like Oliver Hardy.) Maybelle is no longer satisfied eating crumbs off the floor, and so sets out to taste some food from a plate, which puts into motion a series of humorous events that include the Peabodys trying to rid their house of bugs, and Maybelle and Henry narrowly escaping.

I will be interested to see what the kids think
Dawn
Feb 01, 2009 Dawn rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Grades 3-4
Shelves: gscba
Destiny
Ha! Cute read for elementary students.
Darlene
it's a cute book funny
Becky
Maybelle is a cockroach who is tired of eating the crumbs she finds. She dreams of food directly from the plate. With the encouragement of her friend flea, Maybelle sets out to follow her dreams. However, trouble arises because she chooses to eat from the bowl of soup during a dinner party. The owners of the house in which she lives like everything "just so." Imagine the chaos that breaks out when Maybelle is spotted. A delightful transitional chapter book.
Bobby Simic
Summary:
Maybelle's a roach who loves food. Wanting more than the crumbs and spills she's accustomed to, Maybelle aims to taste the soup Mrs. Peabody has prepared for a dinner party. Unfortunately, Maybelle falls into the soup, creating a domino effect of chaos that involves the family cat and her friend Henry the flea.
Strengths:
Cute. Kids might dig the wild events that follow Maybelle's fall into the soup.
Weaknesses: I found it kinda forgettable.
Sharon Lawler
With her pink bow and pearl necklace, Maybelle is a very stylish cockroach with a love of fine food, especially chocolate. Along with her friend Henry the flea, Maybelle's adventure carries her from a dinner party to a stay at the luxurious Grand Hotel. The problem is to avoid Ramona the cat, and to try an follow The Rules. No cockroach has had such adventures since Archie, of "Archie and Mehitabel" fame.
Louise (A Strong Belief in Wicker)
As someone who lived in Sydney for more than 10 years with hundreds if not thousands of cockroaches, a book with a main character of a cockroach is going to have limited appeal. No matter how big the bow they put on her head is. Maybelle wants to taste food before it hits the floor, and causes a whole lot of trouble by breaking the rules about keeping out of sight, and avoiding peoples feet.
Heather
Feb 11, 2008 Heather rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: first readers, cockroaches
Shelves: j-fiction
A cute quick read for kids just getting into chapter books.

Maybelle is a cockroach who lives in the home of a very particular couple. When Maybelle accidently makes herself seen during an important dinner party, the Peabody's decide to call the Bug Man. Maybelle hitches a ride to the Grand Hotel in the Peabody's luggage, rather than face the Bug Man, but life is the hotel isn't all rosy.
Marguarite Markley
Maybelle is a cockroach who dreams of just once getting to eat hot food off a plate. She's tired of following the rules: #1. When it's light, stay out of sight, #2. If you're spied, better hide, and #3. Never meet with human feet. She decides to break the rules, just this once, but learns that breaking the rules can lead to dangerous adventures. Hilarious!
Erin Dobrow
I loved this story! This is a sweet story about a very likeable cockroach who just wants to experience a morsel from a plate - is this really too much to ask? I read this with my own kids at home and with a third grade home bound student that I am working with. It was suitable for both age groups and all enjoyed the story!
M.
Maybelle is a cockroach who doesn’t want to be confined to the traditional cockroach world (do not meet human feet, don’t go out in the daylight, etc.) Of course Maybelle goes against this advice and causes consternation. Humorous book. 2nd grade reader.
Sheri
Laughed all through this small early chapter book. Maybelle and the flea were all right but the fly and his actions really were spot on. Cute story about cockroach, flea, and fly. Even the most disgusting guest can help you in the end.
Kirsten Murphy
Maybelle is a cockroach who wants it all, but wanting it all lands her in a big dish of trouble - literally! Thank goodness her good friend, Henry the flea, has a head for finding solutions to troublesome situations.
Daniel
This was a fun book about a little insect that lives in a house trying to survive. Although I was not fully interested in it as much as I thought I would be, it was still a cute book that had some fun moment in it.
Cathy
This is a very cute little story about a cockaroach and a flea. It's really easy to imagine something like this really happening. The added bonus is that the book is a Bluebonnet Book for 2009-2010.
Carissa
maybelle the cockroach and her best friend (a flea) live in the peabody's house where everything is "just so." what happens when maybelle gets too interested in trying out food that is fresh?
10-11 Ashley
I think this book was cute and funny, because of the way Maybelle's friend acts when she doesn't listen. So if you like books with a little humor then you should read this book!
Kate Hastings
Dec 21, 2013 Kate Hastings rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Grades K-2
RL 760. This will be a fun book to recommend for our insect-related summer reading program. A Very short chapter book that reminds me of Ratatouille-- but with a cockroach.
Jenna Mathias
this book is a very good book if you want somthing funny and fast to read it has a lot of action so if you like action comety you will like this book!
Mrs. Watts
As state in the "Martina" review, I don't want to read about cockroaches! Especially about them getting into food; it hits too close to home.
Zonia
As much as I don't like cockroaches, this is a funny adventure of a wondering Maybelle and her friend the flea.
Beth/Sr. Elizabeth
I never found a cockroach to be cute until this book. Funny storyline. Sure to please new readers.
Trisha
for book club with my 7 year old! too cute~ such a great book for a little girl book club!
Alexa D
this book for a bluebonet is not the greatest book. But it is really easy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
  • Mr. Chickee's Funny Money
  • Moxy Maxwell Does Not Love Stuart Little
  • Highway Cats
  • Keena Ford and the Second Grade Mix Up
  • Soccer Chick Rules
  • Piper Reed: Navy Brat (Piper Reed #1)
  • Emmaline and the Bunny
  • Smarter than Squirrels (Down Girl and Sit)
  • Chess Rumble
  • The Totally Made-up Civil War Diary of Amanda MacLeish
  • Victory
  • Surprises According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #4)
  • The Talented Clementine (Clementine, #2)
  • Pale Male:  Citizen Hawk of New York City
  • Help Me, Mr. Mutt!: Expert Answers for Dogs with People Problems
  • The Thirteenth Skull (Alfred Kropp, #3)
  • Two-Minute Drill (Comeback Kids)
  • The Doll Shop Downstairs
Maybelle Goes to Tea Maybelle and the Haunted Cupcake Maybelle in the Soup / Maybelle Goes to Tea Maybelle Goes To School