Start by marking “Typhoon” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Joseph Conrad

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  1,111 ratings  ·  90 reviews
"THE main characteristic of this volume consists in this, that all the stories composing it belong not only to the same period but have been written one after another in the order in which they appear in the book. "
Published July 17th 2009 by ReadHowYouWant (first published 1902)

To ask other readers questions about Typhoon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Typhoon

"Don't you be put out by anything. Keep her facing it. They may say what they like, but the heaviest seas run with the wind. Facing it -- always facing it -- that's the way to get through. You are a young sailor. Face it. That's enough for any man. Keep a cool head."

Conrad can take a simple idea and gradually pull out of it the deep complexities of man. Typhoon is a novella that basically cooks a brilliant story out of a storm + a boat + Captain MacWhirr and his crew. Setting was fantastic. Char
Conrad's allegory is masterful. Even when he's being heavy handed with his symbols he injects enough realism to clear a way forward.

I think Conrad is the true heir to Shakespeare, for even though not a native English speaker himself he harnessed the language with astonishing power and brilliance. When he describes a storm, you can taste and feel the sea water against your face. And I doubt he has a rival depicting moral ambiguity. Life is continually pushing into the unknown, facing down some un
The first thing that comes to mind after reading Typhoon, while reading actually, is Conrad's absolute mastery of the language.

He is an artist of the English language and the fact that it is not his first langauge makes his virtuosity all the more astounding. Typhoon is more about a storm of humanity amidst a chaotic event than about the storm itself.

MacWirr is a simple, brutally honest and innocent, almost naive, seaman. No doubt Conrad had seen his like many times before. As he liked to say
One of the greatest examples in literature of landscape and nature treated as character. Although on one level this classic sea story is about the uneasy relations between the phlegmatic captain and his high-strung first mate, the antagonist, and in many ways the main character, is the storm itself.
This is the disintegrating power of a great wind: it isolates one from one's kind. An earthquake, a landslip, an avalanche, overtake a man incidentally, as it were--without passion. A furious gale at
Omid Majidy Pour
بعضی از توصیف ها و فضاسازی ها خیلی زیبا بود. درکل لذت داشت خوندنش.
"Una tempesta è una tempesta...e una nave a vapore deve affrontarla."
Vero capolavoro di equilibrio compositivo e di intensità espressiva, questo racconto fonde in maniera perfetta una strabiliante potenza descrittiva dell'evento naturale e una sottile capacità introspettiva dell'animo umano.
Le scene della tempesta richiamano alla memoria immagini, atmosfere, colori e suoni dell'Inferno dantesco, sia nello scatenarsi furioso degli elementi, sia nel groviglio violento dei corpi e delle emozioni.
Hassan Rezaei
رمانهایی که فضای داستان کم و بیش در دریا میگذشت و خونده بودم پیرمرد و دریا بود و داشتن و نداشتن که هر دوشون رو به غایت دوست داشتم.این کتاب نر روونی نداشت.نمیدونم یا ترجمه خوبی نداشته یا این که اصل متن خوب نوشته نشده یا من درست نخوندم.خودم هم نفهمیدم!ولی در کل آن چنان که از توصیفات گیرای زمان طوفان توی مقدمه ی کتاب تعریف و تمجبد شده بود من که چیزی ندیدم.فقط در بعضی جمله ها توصیفات روانی خوبی از شخصیت ها ارائه شده بود.
Ahmad Sharabiani
Sea Stories. Typhoon, Joseph Conrad
عنوان : طوفان دریا؛ جوزف کنراد؛ برگردان: سهیل سمی؛ تهران، ققنوس، 1391، در 119 ص، شابک: 9786002780331؛ موضوع: داستانهای نویسندگان انگلیسی قرن 20 م
توصیفی که «کنراد» از طوفان دریا با نثر استوارش، ارائه میدهد، بسیار جاندار است. نظر «هنری جیمز» است که گفته بود: «کنراد بهترین تصویر دریا را، در عرصه رمان به ما ارائه داده»، ایشان این کار را بسیار باشکوهتر از نویسندهای چون «هرمان ملویل» انجام داده، وصف ایشان در لحظات اوج طوفان خردکننده، درونگراست. انبوهی از صفات و قیده
Laurel Hicks
Read from February 22 to 25, 2013

Why do I like Joseph Conrad so much? I am drawn by the power of the sea and of dark, barely explored lands, held by the power of a good yarn, but most of all amazed by astonishing character studies presented in flawless prose by a man who did not speak English until his twenties and had no published works until he was thirty-five. In Typhoon, Conrad steers us into the eye of a storm with the taciturn, unimaginative Captain MacWhirr in command. Whether we shall co
If you've only read Heart of Darkness, you probably don't know what a fantastic sense of humor Conrad has. Typhoon is short and thrilling and funny. The plot is persistently engaging, but Conrad's real aim is to show you how his characters react under the stresses of their world.
Jim Leckband
I gotta love Conrad's character names. He writes a novella called "Typhoon" and his main character is Captain MacWhirr - I suppose Captain Whirlabout was a step too far. The steam engineer is called "Rout". The first mate who is tossed to and fro at the storm's and MacWhirr's bidding is called "Jukes". Almost as good as Dickens, that.

The writing is majestic - the tension of the plot, the depth of the characters (or intentional lack of depth as it suits the theme), the moral dilemmas, the shifts
Conrad was the master of stories with sea-faring backgrounds,although the stories in this collection from 1903 cover much more than the waterfront & nautical language! He always has flawed characters as his protagonists,& sets them adrift in precarious environments.both physical & psychological, whether on the open sea or ashore.He describes a lost world of relentless globe-trotters & maritime misfits,& you can taste the salt in the air on almost every page.Recommended to ser ...more
The conclusion I have come to, is the majority of reviewers have read Conrad because they want to read Conrad, perhaps going into it knowingly. Expecting wordy and descriptive. This book gets great reviews.

This book didn't hold my attention. It is a nautical story - a boat in a storm. There is perhaps not much to say about a boat in a storm, but it is certainly all covered here. So characters and interaction of the several crew members is about all to add to a boat in a storm.

For whatever reason
Marts  (Thinker)
The tale of Captain Macwhirr of the Nan-Shan who, whilst returning Chinese workers home notices unusual barometric readings but refuses to change course believing his ship could withstand any natural opposition. Throughout the disaster he is ably assisted by his first mate Jukes.

"Bastava, ripensandoci, a darti l'idea di una mano immensa, potente e invisibile conficcata nel formicaio del mondo per agguantare spalle, far cozzare teste l'una contro l'altra e volgere le facce ignare dela moltitudine verso mete inconcepibili e in direzioni mai sognate".

"Di tempeste ne aveva incontrate, naturalmente. Era stato bagnato fino all'osso, sbattuto, travagliato... Ma non aveva mai intravisto la forza incommensurabile e la collera smodata, la collera che passa e si esaurisce senza ma
3.5* (Would probably have rated higher if it were longer - it felt more like a short story than a novel.) As always, I was impressed with Conrad's mastery of English, I can't imagine how he wrote so beautifully in a second language. So much goes on in this story - I feel a little awe at Conrad's intelligence - not only had he lived the seafaring life and thus possessed a thorough understanding of his subject, but he was such a thinker and observer of human nature, and could communicate all that. ...more
Impressionante e potente; come sempre Conrad riesce a trasformare l'avventura in uno strumento d'osservazione dell'animo umano. Anticipare il contenuto di queste pagine sarebbe un crimine, è sufficiente dire che chiunque ami la letteratura di mare troverà questo racconto prezioso, per la vicenda narrata e per la quantità di significati allegorici che vi si possono trovare.

Non dimenticherò il capitano MacWhirr, alla fine del racconto ho sentito per lui un enorme affetto. La sua decisione, quello
E la nave rollava... questa frase ripetuta all'infinito all'interno del romanzo mi ha proprio rotto le scatole.

Ho letto un estratto su un libro di testo alle medie e mi ha catturato.
Una nave in mezzo alla tempesta, l'intrepido comandante al timone che tenta il tutto e per tutto con il suo mozzo/assistente.
Ma tutto ciò dura 2 pagine forse, poi solo e soltanto "e la nave rollava" "e i cinesi nella stiva stanno morendo sballottati qua e là".

Quando alla fine la nave giunge al porto si tira finalme

Dillon Strange
I love Joey Conrad! But then I was always a sucker for an action packed nautical yarn. His books in this niche are second only behind the great Patrick O'Brian in my opinion. This one tells the story of a merchant ship carrying a load of "coolies", migrant Chinese workers, that runs into a typhoon. We experience it all through the eyes of the stolid, non-plussed Captain MacWhirr and his skittish but duty bound first mate, Jukes. Conrad can be a tad dense at times, but his descriptions of the ter ...more
Emma Glaisher
There is much to like in this, especially the captain with his Aspergers. The description of the storm is terrifying, but I found it hard to picture not having much knowledge of boats.

It is hard to decide if the descriptions of the 'Celestials' are simply a product of their time, or a more ironic comment on the inherent racism of the British empire. The captain's undemonstrative humanity hints at the latter, but I don't know enough about Conrad to decide.

I particularly loved the tragic 'letter-
Patrick Sherriff
A powerful novella, just long enough to show Conrad's range and raise some disquieting questions, but short enough to avoid padding. I liked this book despite my least favourite word that crops up in 19th Century novels appearing in the opening line - physiognomy. I get that folks' faces are symbolic and inordinately interesting to our ancestors, but please. Every bloody 19th Century novel has to go on at length about the menacingness or not of a man's brow? Enough already. Anyway. After racing ...more
A wild ride that's basically told in 'real time' of one Captain MacWhirr (it sounds like Dickens may have named him) who chooses not to 'read' the barometer correctly, refuses to deviate his course for the Chinese/Siamese people on his ship who may complain of the rocky waters (as told through his first mate), and who suffers the consequences of his ship getting devastated and battered by an all engulfing typhoon in the south Asian sea. In addition to suffering at the fact that people are intere ...more
I am not sure what to make of this novella.

Joseph Conrad's writing is flawless. If I had any complaint from his other books that I have read (Heart of Darkness & Lord Jim), it would be that he can be too dense at times. Lord Jim, especially, seemed to ramble on quite a bit, and though the writing was beautiful, I think it could have benefited from some editing.

Typhoon does not suffer from this flaw. Conrad perfectly balances description, pacing, dialogue, and character development. As usua
Un dannato capolavoro, un genio della scrittura.
Mi sono ritrovata a passare da un comodo divano a una nave in mezzo a una tempesta, preoccupandomi per la mia sorte e altalenando tra la speranza di rivedere casa e la paura di perire insieme ai coolies.
Fortunatamente (oppure no?) alla fine mi sono ritrovata sul divano.
Oh, my! One of the greatest, if not "the" greatest, ever written. Conrad must have experienced something similar or he could not have written it with such descriptions! I do like sea stories and I loved this one. (It's short but every word, as usual with Conrad, packed a punch!)
Jon Stout
Jan 12, 2014 Jon Stout rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: sailors and savants
Recommended to Jon by: Dennis Percher
Joseph Conrad’s writing has about it an aching, gnawing quality, at least to my perception, that I really enjoy. Someone has said that his sentences always imply something left unsaid. Because he wrote in an acquired language, English, instead of his native Polish, perhaps he is straining to say something that would come more easily in Polish. But his English is flawless and wonderful. At any rate I love his style in such novels as Nostromo, Lord Jim and Heart of Darkness.

Typhoon is about a stai

This small classic from Joseph Conrad is an adventure yarn that goes beyond mere action as it plays out the immortal struggle between man and nature.

While racism and classism serve as undercurrents to this adventure tale, the mighty sea does not discriminate.

Life for all aboard the steamer Nan-Shan begins to change when, "Observing the steady fall of the barometer, Captain MacWhirr thought, 'There's some dirty weather knocking about.'"

Anthropomorphic in its fury, the sea Joseph Conrad im
Conrad is astounding. This account of the onset of a typhoon at sea is harrowing, and realistic enough to frighten you. Conrad's subtle descriptions of the ship's officers and their interactions with their supercargo of frightened coolies, and with their families and friends, speak volumes about class and social attitudes of the time. Conrad's prose is perfect; any native speaker would be justifiably proud of it. All in all, The Typhoon is one of the great sea stories. Highly recommended.
Stephen Gallup
I approached this short novel with the careless assumption that it would simply be a literal tale about a storm at sea. Having seen (for example) The Perfect Storm, which presumably would be more attuned to modern-day sensibilities, I somehow thought Typhoon would be comparatively pedestrian.

Not so. Silly me. In defense I'll mention that it had been quite a while since I'd read Conrad.

What sets writing like this apart as real literature is the fact that it's about more than just the storm. And h
Peter Kerry Powers
Conrad’s Typhoon: or, An Ode to My iPad

I think one reason I don’t write and publish more than I do is because I am far too slow on the trigger. The ubiquity of blogging hasn’t helped this any since I usually find that someone else much more intelligent and articulate than I has blogged on what I think of as MY SUBJECT in a manner far more perspicacious, acute and interesting than I could manage. Take Charles Simic’s meditation on boredom during the recent power outages along the east coast, blog
  • Il partigiano Johnny
  • Look Back All the Green Valley
  • The Country of the Blind
  • South Sea Tales
  • La morte a Venezia/Tristano/Tonio Kröger
  • Mauricio o las elecciones primarias
  • The Ghost Pirates
  • The Wife and Other Stories
  • Folk-Lore and Legends Scotland
  • Doktor Murkes gesammeltes Schweigen und andere Satiren
  • Three Bedrooms in Manhattan
  • Evangeline: A Tale of Acadie
  • Myths and Legends of China
  • Perder es cuestión de método
  • The Only Way to Cross: The Golden Era of the Great Atlantic Liners - From the Mauretania to the France and the Queen Elizabeth 2
  • In Hazard
  • Leyendas de Guatemala
  • Journey to Portugal: In Pursuit of Portugal's History and Culture
Joseph Conrad (born Józef Teodor Konrad Korzeniowski ) was a Polish-born English novelist who today is most famous for Heart of Darkness, his fictionalized account of Colonial Africa.

Conrad left his native Poland in his middle teens to avoid conscription into the Russian Army. He joined the French Merchant Marine and briefly employed himself as a wartime gunrunner. He then began to work aboard Br
More about Joseph Conrad...
Heart of Darkness Lord Jim Heart of Darkness and Selected Short Fiction Heart of Darkness and The Secret Sharer Nostromo

“Fu qualcosa di formidabile e di subitaneo, come l'improvviso rompersi di un vaso colmo d'ira.” 1 likes
“Tale è la potenza disgregatrice di un uragano: essa isola l’individuo dai suoi simili. Un terremoto, una frana, una valanga soverchiano l’uomo incidentalmente, per così dire senza passione. La furia dell’uragano invece lo attacca come un nemico personale, cerca di afferrargli le membra, gli s’abbarbica alla mente, tenta di sradicare da lui perfino l’anima.” 1 likes