Hereafter (Hereafter, #1)

Hereafter (Hereafter #1)

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  11,594 ratings  ·  1,439 reviews

Can there truly be love after death?

Drifting in the dark waters of a mysterious river, the only thing Amelia knows for sure is that she's dead. With no recollection of her past life—or her actual death—she's trapped alone in a nightmarish existence. All of this changes when she tries to rescue a boy, Joshua, from drowning in her river. As a ghost, she can do nothing but wi

Published June 7th 2011 by HarperTeen

Incarnate by Jodi MeadowsThe Selection by Kiera CassEverneath by Brodi AshtonA Million Suns by Beth RevisExiled by RaShelle Workman
Breath Taking Covers Of 2011-2012
20th out of 500 books — 860 voters
The Moon Dwellers by David EstesObsidian by Jennifer L. ArmentroutClockwork Angel by Cassandra ClareInsurgent by Veronica RothVampire Academy by Richelle Mead
Books I wish will turn into movies
140th out of 482 books — 474 voters

More lists with this book...

Vinaya
Blythe
Donna {Book Passion for Life}
Posted on: http://bookpassionforlife.blogspot.com/

Hereafter is the first book by debut author Tara Hudson, and its everything I could of wanted from a book. A forbidden romance, mystery & excitement.
I said this last week with Die for Me by Amy Plum but let me say it again - "this is one of the BEST ghost stories I have ever read"

Amelia is a ghost, who doesn't remember anything about herself, other than her name and parts of her death. She doesn't know when she died, who she was before or h...more
Krystle
I'm sorry I didn't finish you. Okay, maybe I'm not.

This book is really boring. There is no tension in the pace, no urgency in the writing, and absolutely no chemistry between the two leads. The writing is rough, unpolished, and suffering from a lot of repetition. There is nothing that makes the female character, Amelia, stand out. She's just so blah. Oh wait, she somehow MIRACULOUSLY is ace at Calculus, just when our guy needs it. Uh huh, right.

After she saves him the BOTH of the fall so fast...more
A Canadian Girl
I’ve been vacillating back and forth between how I feel about Hereafter, the debut novel of Tara Hudson, and I still can’t seem to make up my mind. So, I figured it was time to do another pros and cons list rather than a formal review.

Pros:
- The first chapter manages to ensnare the reader into the story and convey just how terrifying Amelia’s “nightmares” are.
- The writing flows nicely and I enjoyed reading Hereafter.
- The secondary characters are or seem pretty interesting.
- I could feel the ch...more
The Bookologist
Haunting and eerie, Hereafter is a touching love story with supernatural mystery. It’s engrossing from the very beginning and Hudson captivates readers with its vibrant characters, remarkable writing, and heart-rending drama.

Hudson’s writing is beautiful with her well-described tales and picturesque descriptions. Her prose is alluring and breathtaking. The way Hudson was able to portray emotions along with action was very remarkable. Her interpretation with afterlife came to be so creative and o...more
curious little beastie
This review is also available over at my blog.

___________________________

You know guys, I think the actual rating might be 2.5 stars.

My expectations for this book were low from the start. But really, I don't think it was horrifyingly bad or anything. Just plain bleh. It's neither bad nor good, and it wasn't really memorable either. The kind of book where you finish it and you just go, "Next."

I love ghost stories and the different twists that some authors usually put when writing ghost-themed boo...more
Melissa Marr
In the piles of paranormal books & the flurry of hype, it's hard to find books that are memorable. This one was. It captured my attention enough to read cover-to-cover AND to remember well after finishing. My vote: Worth Reading.
Ruth

p. 24, "A boy climbed out of the driver's side of the car... From his profile I could see he had full lips and a fine nose with just the slightest curve in it, as though it had been broken once but set well. He had almost black hair and large, dark eyes."

p. 29, "As I suspected, his eyes were very dark, but not brown. They were a strange deep blue- an almost midnight sky color. I was certain I'd never seen eyes that color before..."

p. 56, "His profile- square jaw, high cheekbones, and full lips-...more
Kristi
Hereafter was just okay for me. I enjoyed reading the story.... but nothing about it really grabbed me. I think that I needed to know a little bit more about the world that Amelia was in. What was the Hereafter? Why didn't Amelia go to heaven? What were those menacing black blobs!? I think that I was a little distracted by all my questions at times.

I didn't particularly care for any of the characters either. I mean I liked them, they were nice, funny at times, but nothing about them really touch...more
Heidi

Two and a half stars: A paranormal romance between a ghost and a boy..

Dark, crushing water pushes her down, choking gasping...the nightmare, again. Amelia is a ghost, constantly reliving the nightmarish drowning that killed her. She remains trapped in stasis. Stuck in our world with no knowledge of her previous life or the circumstances surrounding her demise. She constantly finds herself plunged back into the river at the moment of her death, only to wake sometime later in the graveyard. She ha...more
Amy Plum
I just read this book by my fellow Dark Days of Summer author, Tara Hudson. And completely lost myself in her tale. Amelia's story is so touching, and Tara doles it out little by little—letting the reader discover her protagonist's mysterious past as she does. I love boys who are unwavering and Joshua is a prize. And Eli's sexy repulsiveness really did its work on me. *shudders* Bravo to Tara for writing a chilling ghost story set convincingly in a contemporary world.
Lissa
Hereafter was a very pleasant experience with the 'monster' of the young adult paranormal couple being the girl for a change - and a dead girl at that!

I'm not really sure what to say about it. I got about halfway and then picked up another book, finishing that before I finished Hereafter. Some parts of it are very slow, and you have to remember that this is a romance so Amelia spends an awful lot of time with the boy over only a few days developing that.

Apart from the romance I found the concept...more
Feb 07, 2012 Laura rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Laura by: Thanks Sam! :)
I have a thing for ghosts! Who knew? You would think I would, but no. I cannot believe I didn’t see it. Not until Tara Hudson’s Hereafter enchanted me with such a sweet, fun, heartfelt story.

Amelia is dead, but it doesn’t seem to stop her from meeting super adorable boys! Lost, alone, and wandering in her afterlife with very little idea of where she is or memories of her life, Joshua drops in to her world changing everything. His near death experience begins to awaken Amelia’s past, shakes away...more
Leigh Herondale
for more reviews: http://sybillinebooks.tumblr.com or http://hypnosomnus-leighmarbella.blog...

I finished Hereafter by Tara Hudson a few days ago and I must say that I loved this as much as I loved the last few books that I’ve read this past few weeks. I was actually a bit hesitant at first since this book had mixed reviews on Goodreads. The story’s protagonists are Amelia and Joshua.

To start with, the story is really good. The concept is refreshing for me as this is only my second Ghost YA book....more
Annabelle Marie Veronica
FINAL RATING: 2.25 STARS

CATCHALL
Hereafter was a lovely, if bland, book. For the most part enjoyable and exciting, it was a read with action and romance. The blurb grabbed me from the beginning, and the cover is absolutely gorgeous. I had to have it. I should've known better than to fall for a cover after Fallen.

This review will contain minor spoilers.

THE HEROINE
Sadly, I did not like Amelia. I really wanted to. However, she was so annoying and selfish that I realized early on that nothing would...more
L
I must say, this book went over and above my expectations. I'm not sure I had any clearly thought out, "this is what the book will be like" expectations, but it certainly surprised me in many ways, and all pleasantly.

Firstly, Amelia was perfect. Not perfect as in, had no flaw, but perfect as in the perfect main character. She was everything I think I ever want in a character. She reminds me of the time I first met Tris Prior in Divergent, or Lena Halloway in Delirium. The coveted, best, perfect...more
Cas
Half a star, actually(and I'm being nice). This book was so boring and useless.
I'm not even going to ramble on. It was that pathetic. All in all, those $0.99 I used to buy this book was a dollar too much!

We will kill it!! Yeah!!
Becky
I received an advanced copy of this book from 'NetGalley' in exchange for an honest review. It was an 'uncorrected e-proof'. As i don't have an e-reader it came with a free download of 'Adobe Digital Editions' so I could read it on my computer.
Amelia knows she is dead and that she drowned and she knows her first name but that is all she knows, she can't remember what lead to her death or what she was like in life. Left alone in despair and replaying the moments of her death in horrible nightmare...more
Kristi-The Book Faery
THE FAERYS VIEW

Hereafter is a haunting yet romantic tale of Amelia and Joshua. Amelia remembers nothing except that she is dead and she deduces she jumped from the bridge. She doesn’t sleep yet she has what she calls nightmares recalling her drowning, when she wakes up, it’s in the usual places, generally the same cemetery. When she meet’s Joshua he’s experiencing a near death experience and just for a moment he sees her and that’s all it takes to start this beautiful love story.

It isn’t all lo...more
Novel Novice
With the market for paranormal YA romance so over-saturated these days, I find myself getting pickier and pickier about the books I’ll heap praise on — and the series I’ll commit to following through into additional books. After all, there are SO many multi-books series popping up these days, and not all of them feel worthy of the multi-book treatment.

But I can say with absolute certainty that Tara Hudson’s Hereafter is one new paranormal YA series that I will see through to the next book.

The bo...more
Awesome words.
Awesome pages.
Awesome author.
Awesome point of view.

Just awesome everything. I recommend it.
Colleen Houck
Haunting and romantic at the same time. I really liked the mystery of Amelia's past and the ending is wide open for more to come. Eli is a very interesting character too. I have some suspicions about Grandma Ruth but I'll wait for the second book before I share them.
Zuleeza
This review is also available on my blog, Qwerty

*Sigh* I really hate it when I have to read a book in many sittings. I can't be sure if the book was indeed not that good or the gap between the sittings made me losing my interest. The book started so well, I think the first four chapters were the best starter I've read so far. It was sharp, well-paced and deep with emotions.

After Chapter 4, it was...well...okay for me. Some of the scenes truly entertained me such as the differential equations inc...more
Nafiza
I have read a lot of mixed rumblings about this novel. Some hated it, some loved it but the one thing it did to everyone was to evoke some sort of feeling. Whether the feeling was one of satisfaction or irritation, there was some feeling. And that’s success to an extent. I’ll be honest. I, when I read the book some months ago, genuinely enjoyed it. It has many problems, especially where logic is concerned, but as far as stories go (after the necessary suspension of belief required for reading so...more
Katie Stout
Caution: Cheesy 90s movie references ahead

I really argued with myself about this rating because I did really like the book. Joshua was charming, and the pacing was great. But what kept me from giving it four stars was my lack of interest in ghost stories. I just couldn't connect with the plot, and there were so many bits about Amelia's ghost life that didn't make sense that I couldn't get over.

Paranormal romance gets a lock of criticism about being the same. That there's a formula for every sing...more
tonya.
I was given this galley free of charge from NetGalley.

This has so much potential to be a truly unique, gripping paranormal love story. I haven't read many ghost-centric stories in this genre, though I'm sure they exist, and was excited to see a new spin on the young adult romance.

I was disappointed. Though the premise had potential, the execution was lacking. The writing was rambling and repetitive, and though I know it was in the voice of an eighteen year old girl, didn't feel smart. I never f...more
Cristina Buzoianu
You can find this on my blog

The description of this book intrigued me a lot, so I was thrilled when I received it as an ARC.
A big THANK YOU to Harper Collins for giving me this chance.

It’s a first person book, the whole story is told from Amelia’s point of view and I love reading such ones. Makes me get into the scene so much more, the feelings seem more natural…you know …when you start to believe that you’re going to kiss the partner instead of the heroin...more
Diane
A nice dead girl falls for the human boy who can see her, but he's from a long line of Seers who exorcise "unclaimed spirits" like her and there's another unclaimed spirit who wants her to be his partner in the afterlife. What's a ghost girl to do? A bit of ROMEO & JULIET meets the GHOST WHISPERER but in such a good way - a much better supernatural romance than the TWILIGHT books! Amelia did not annoy me like Bella, and Joshua was not controlling like Edward; in fact, I really liked Amelia A...more
Anna

Review originally posted at http://bookstobrightenyourmood.blogsp...

Hereafter,to be completely honest with myself,left me quite disappointed.I really expected so much of this book, and although the potential was there,the final result was a book I won't remember for long after finished reading it.

To put it in a few words,Hereafter just didn't work for me.I couldn't connect with the heroes and found them lacking in development,the story was something I have already read in one version or the othe...more
The Very Omnibus ...: June's Book of the Month-Hereafter 6 3 Jun 15, 2014 07:52AM
This book? 4 17 May 14, 2014 12:44AM
Crazy for Young A...: Hereafter by Tara Hudson→ Start Date: April 25, 2014 16 24 Apr 29, 2014 07:17PM
This book? 1 4 Mar 19, 2014 04:41AM
Books similar to Hereafter by Tara Hudson 7 28 Jan 27, 2014 07:48AM
Joshua or Eli? 2 16 Dec 19, 2013 07:29PM
If you truely love someone you should let them go if it's the best thing for them right? 3 27 Jun 26, 2013 10:22AM
  • A Need So Beautiful (A Need So Beautiful, #1)
  • After Obsession
  • A Touch Mortal (A Touch Trilogy, #1)
  • Intrinsical (The Yara Silva Trilogy, #1)
  • Cold Kiss (Cold Kiss, #1)
  • So Shelly
  • Haven (Winterhaven, #1)
  • Blood Magic (The Blood Journals, #1)
  • The Revenant
  • Wake Unto Me
  • Possess
  • Through Her Eyes
  • Haunting Violet (Haunting Violet #1)
  • A Beautiful Dark (A Beautiful Dark, #1)
  • Timeless (Timeless, #1)
  • Luminous
  • Bad Taste in Boys (Kate Grable, #1)
  • Shattered Souls (Souls, #1)
Born and raised in Oklahoma, Tara Hudson graduated with a degree in law, mostly because she believed all the horror stories about English majors and their careers in the food-service industry. Luckily, she soon remembered how much she loved telling ghost stories, particularly to her girlfriends who liked visiting abandoned cemeteries as much as she did. Tara currently lives in Oklahoma with her hu...more
More about Tara Hudson...
Arise (Hereafter, #2) Elegy (Hereafter #3) PitchDark Presents the Dark Days of Supernatural Paranormal Romance Sampler

“See you soon,” I whispered. I bit my lip; and, in a moment of sheer abandon, I added, “I think I might . . . you know . . . love you, by the way.”
“Too,” Joshua whispered back groggily. “Love.”
58 likes
“Jillian,” I whispered, “I know you don’t know who I am. But I love your brother, and I know you do too. So . . . do you think you could wake up? Do you think you could at least try?”
For far too long she gave me no response. I’d just about given up—hung my head and prepared myself for the inevitable, impossible job of comforting Joshua—when Jillian whispered back.
“I guess. Since you asked so nicely.”
In spite of everything, a quiet laugh escaped my lips.
“Thank God. Because I have a feeling you’d be a huge pain in the ass if you died.”
52 likes