Start by marking “Burn Out (Rachel Scott, #2)” as Want to Read:
Burn Out (Rachel Scott, #2)

Burn Out (Rachel Scott #2)

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  295 ratings  ·  54 reviews
Lt. Samantha (Sam) Collins, a firefighter, vanishes after a warehouse fire the week before she was to testify at her estranged husband’s trial for drug charges. The only clue to her disappearance is a firefighter helmet that was left behind at the scene.
Rachel Scott founded Florida Omni Search after her own daughter disappeared when she was four. She has worked with law en
Published December 20th 2012 by Thomas and Mercer (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Burn Out, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Burn Out

Divergent by Veronica RothCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareFifty Shades of Grey by E.L. JamesHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingGabriel's Inferno by Sylvain Reynard
Best Break Out
282nd out of 1,770 books — 4,509 voters

More lists with this book...

Rea
I received this book as an ARC.

Burn Out was an interesting thriller that kept my attention as of the get go. The characters are likeable, well drawn out and easily draw you into their world. The plot is good and keeps you guessing.

Even as you read, you can see the author becoming more at ease with creating her craft, switching from relying heavily on dialogue to a healthy mix of dialogue and narrative, easing from a slightly more ‘telling’ style to one where she shows. As such, the beginning was
Sibel Hodge
After the disappearance of her daughter, Mallory, Rachel forms a missing person organization and is quickly on the hunt for a firefighter who has gone missing in suspicious circumstances. Where is Sam? Is she dead? And if not, how did she escape from a collapsed building with no one noticing?

This is a captivating story that will have you dying to turn the pages, and a must read for fans of Lisa Gardner. Traci Hohenstein has weaved together a great mystery/thriller, and I hope there's going to b
readinghearts (Lyn M)
Apr 04, 2011 readinghearts (Lyn M) rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery thriller fans
Recommended to readinghearts (Lyn M) by: author and WOM group
Wow. This is a great new book by a debut author. At just 170 pages it is a quick read. At first I was afraid that would limit the story, but it definitely did not. I was surprised and pleased that this story included everything that I would expect from a much longer mystery/thriller. The author does a great job of letting pieces of the story out slowly, keeping the reader's interest. The story definitely includes enough action to keep you turning pages, and enough twists and turns to keep you gu ...more
Lia Fairchild
Burn Out is the first novel by thriller writer Traci Hohenstein. With this carefully crafted piece, Hohenstein has created a story line and cast of characters that can carry over into a series of books focusing on missing person cases.

Rachel Scott is the main character and head of Florida Omni Search, a missing person’s investigation group. In Burn Out, Rachel is leading the investigation to find a missing firefighter. Rachel’s character is intriguing because her motivation behind the creation
Lynne Stevie
Apr 12, 2011 Lynne Stevie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Reading Burn Out was like riding a roller coaster. Highs and lows, twists and turns kept me moving through the pages. I never got bored. Which is saying something because I've been known to start a book and just walk away if it doesn't grab me in the first few pages. But with Burn Out it was like- "Just one more page before I go to sleep."

The main character was strong and confident and most importantly I liked her. I wanted to peek at the end to see what was going to happen but I held off. Then
JackieK
I was very pleasantly surprised by this first novel from Traci Hohenstein. My interest was immediately captured and kept throughout the book. I looked forward to turning every page!

I wanted to know more about Rachel and her story as well as the story of the governors daughter which was mentioned briefly in this book. I'm glad to see the next book will go back in time a bit and revolve around this storyline. I can only surmise by the "disclosure" at the end of this book that there is a third nove
Amandaj
A firefighter, Sam Collins of Santa Rosa Beach, FL, disappears after responding to a fire. With a strand of arson in town and her husband in jail for running a marijuana operation her disappearance raises plenty of eyebrows. Did she run away? Was she kidnapped? Rachel Scott, a woman dedicated to find missing persons after her own daughter went missing, is determined to find Sam. Finding missing persons is her life, and she will do anything to help bring a person back home. Burn out was a fast pa ...more
Tammy
This was an easy, quick read with strong, likeable characters. I really enjoyed this book and look forward to reading others by Traci.

Sam is a firefighter and she is missing after helping to rescue a survivor from a fire at the local Farmers Market. There is no body; so has she been kidnapped, or has she just walked away from the chaotic life she has been living?

Rachel Scott from the Florida Omni Search Center has been contacted to assist in the search for the missing Samantha Collins. Rachel an
Mischelle
Goodreads Firstreads book. The author sign it for me!! Very good of her! Thank you!

I like the story but it was kind of predictable. The story was enough to keep me interested. The beginning was so sad. A missing child!! A mom wants her back desparately! The mom starts an agency that help people look for missing persons and still searches for her own daughter.

One mom needs help in getting her adult daughter back so she calls Rachel Scott help find her. The agency that Rachel runs helped alot of p
Tatiana Lammers
I received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads.
I would like to thank Tracy Hohenstein for sending her interesting book for me to enjoy.

This is a very fast paced story on a missing person investigation with many twists and turns.

As a professional translator and a linguist, I really liked the scene when Rachel and Mike started speaking Italian, and the author skillfully incorporated the translation into English.
As a person who loves to cook and appreciates the food, I was happily surpr
Libby
BURN OUT by Traci Hohenstein is one of the best crafted mystery/thrillers I’ve read this year. The author has clearly done her research, and it shows. The characters are believable, and the circumstances they’re placed in are as well. There are several strong female characters, all of them interesting but not perfect, which bodes well for a future series and/or spin-off. The pacing of the story is terrific, and it’s a quick appealing read. The cliff-hanger at the end was an added bonus. I’m look ...more
Angela
I enjoyed reading this book even though it ended as an unresolved storyline

One thing that really bothered me about this book was words missing from sentences
and one word that was added out of place. I did enjoy the read though and would look forward to reading more books from this author and would like to see this story play out further in maybe
a book 2

I received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads
Naomi
I have to be honest...this book shocked the heck out of me. With several things going on prior to its' release date, I honestly thought the book was going to be a dud. IT WASN'T. The story is well written and the premise for the story is excellent. It is a short read...170 pages readable material so I am able to "pound it out" in a couple of hours. But an excellent first publication from a debut author...4.5 stars!

Kristy Tatton
This was a Goodreads giveaway book. I quite enjoyed this book. It is a very light read but suspenseful enough to keep me intrigued. I liked the fact that the characters in this book were not perfect. That they had made mistakes in their lives. I hate books where the only character that isn't perfect is the villain. I would definitely like to read the next book in this series.
Lisa S
I just finished this and I have to say a great debut. I liked the fact that there was a little romance, but not over the top like a lot of books out there. I did have a little problem with the ending. I thought it was a little rushed, but the cliffhanger makes me want to continue with this series.

Great job Traci!
Arbkdbarb
I got involved in this is a quick little mystery involving a missing person and Florida Omni Search (a missing persons search firm) founder Rachel Scott because it was offered for Kindle for less than $2.00. Thought I'd give it a try and I liked it enough to be interested in reading the next in the series.
Llewellyn
I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads. Unlike some mysteries, Burn Out doesn't bog the reader down with lengthy and repetitive police questioning. There's actually a lot of action packed into its 170 pages. I'm eager to find out what happens to Rachel Scott next!
Anette
l received the book as an ARC. I found th storyline to be very entertaining and the characters to be believable. I am looking forward to more books by this author with Rachel and Mike in them because I love their chemistry.
Michelle
Apr 04, 2011 Michelle rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Suspense lovers
4.5 Stars. A good, fun, fast-moving read - it keeps you wanting to know what's coming next, and the ending makes you eager for the next book in the series. Recommended for anyone who enjoys a good suspense novel!
Britney
Loved the way the book was written. The book switched from several characters, but it didn't confuse you who you were reading about when. The characters meshed well. Can't wait to read number 2 in the series.
Olga DiLenge
I read these out of order. This is the second in the serier, after Asylum Harbor, which I am currently reading. I LOVED it and am really hoping for a third.
Christi Rogala
For a 99 cent nook book it was surprisingly good! My one disappointment is that the other book by this author is not available as a nook book.
Patrice Fitzgerald
Great main character, good mystery, fast pacing... I am intrigued by this protagonist and look forward to reading more of this author's work!
Nancy Houston Fields
A lady firefighter disappears during a fire with little or no trace as to her whereabouts. Good book.
Mila Ballentine
I enjoyed Burn Out. It reminds me of Nora Robert's Blue Smoke.
Julie
I could not finish this book. Hell, I could barely start it! My annoyance level grew by leaps and bounds every time I had to read where Rachel ate, what she wore, where she lived and how it was decorated. This author tells, tells and tells some more. I expected improvement by the second book, so I am admittedly short of tolerance.

Rachel's co-worker Janine asks her if she's taking her dog, Maggie, with her. Do we need to know all the details about Maggie, what kind of dog she is, how she was acqu
Jill
Ok, to be fair, I think I got a preview copy, so I think there was a lot more work that probably went into the final copy of this book. The premise is good. Rachel Scott lost her daughter to an abduction, so she quit her life as a high powered real estate broker and started a non-profit organization which helps to search for lost and missing persons. She has technology unavailable to cash strapped police forces and a staff of detectives and volunteers to provide time and resources to help famili ...more
Jennifer Cox
This is the first book I ever read on a kindle. I believe it was free. It gave me inspiration for a book that I would like to write. I couldn't stop clicking the pages away!
Tanya
A firefighter mother of two vanishes without a trace!! Can the Florida omni search and rescue find her in time? Not as good as the first book, but still worth reading.
Kim (Wistfulskimmies Book Reviews)
This is a story of a woman who, whilst searching for her missing daughter, has set up an agency devoted to finding missing people. She gets a call about a missing firefighter and goes off to search for her.....

I thoroughly enjoyed this. It had me gripped from page 1. I thought I had it all sewn up at one point but the story took me off onto another tangent. The characters were believable and I completly identified with the lead characters reasons for setting up the agency. I loved the bad guy, I
  • The Lonely Mile
  • Midnight Fear (Chasing Evil Trilogy, #2)
  • Wedding Bell Blues
  • Cold Cold Heart
  • Deceitful Moon
  • Revelations (Jane Perry #3)
  • Punctured
  • Fatal Liaison
  • Striking Back
  • As the Crow Dies
  • The Crazy Old Lady in the Attic (Beacon Hill Chronicles, #1)
  • Accidents Waiting to Happen
  • Fall from Grace: The Detective Jane Candiotti Series, #1)
  • Legwork
  • Dead Deceiver (A Loon Lake Mystery, #11)
  • Darkness on the Edge of Town (Laura Cardinal #1)
  • Money, Lies, and Murder (Amber Fox #2)
  • Edge of Black (Dr. Samantha Owens #2)
Traci Hohenstein lives in NW Florida and divides her time between being a beachbum and writing.

More about Traci Hohenstein...
Asylum Harbor (Rachel Scott, #1) Special Delivery (Hollywood Hills, #1) Look For Me Cut & Run Split Decision (Hollywood Hills, #2)