Start by marking “The Pale Companion (Shakespearean Murder, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Pale Companion (Shakespearean Murder, #3)

The Pale Companion (Shakespearean Murder #3)

3.66  ·  Rating Details  ·  29 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
Midsummer 1601. Nick Revill and his fellow actors in the Chamberlain's Men are journeying across the Wiltshire Downs for a country-house presentation of his friend and mentor Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream. But what should be a pleasant, well-paid jaunt to celebrate a noble wedding gets worse and worse, with a sinister arranged marriage, a possible suicide, and fi ...more
Published April 15th 2003 by Carroll & Graf (first published June 13th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Pale Companion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pale Companion

John Lee
I have only recently read and enjoyed the first two books on this series and perhaps I shouldnt have come to this 3rd so soon. It may have been me but I found the first half of this book a bit slow and hard going. Maybe it was the way Nick narates his story or may be I had overdosed on the Chamberlains Men or may be it was just me.
On balance, I was pleased that I persisted as the last third made compelling reading as the plot unfolded. I totally missed a couple of hints that were given as to the
Kristen
The Pale Companion is a passable murder mystery. It is a slow-moving plot (the first murder isn't revealed till nearly half-way through the book) but the characters are interesting and colourful. In particular the main character of Nicholas Revill, an actor, is clever, and insightful, and has some great scenes.

The story itself has a bit of a surprise ending, but will certainly not fool those avid murder mystery buffs who try to figure out who dunnit.

Aside from the fact that A Midsummer Night's D
LJ
THE PALE COMPANION (Amateur Sleuth-England-1600) – VG
Goodin, Philip – 3rd in series
Constable, 2002 - Hardcover
Actor Nick Reville and the Chamberlain's Men have been asked s to perform Shakespeare's "Midsummer Night's Dream" as part of the wedding celebration at the country house of Lord Elcombe. Befriended by Robin, a ragged man living in the forest who claims himself a lord. When Robin is found hanged, Nick doesn't believe it's a suicide.
*** Goodin writes a very good story with a excellent, cle
Homerun2
Apr 09, 2014 Homerun2 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series-in-limbo, dnf
I had previously read two others of this series. I just had trouble finishing this one. Everything about it seemed just ok. I admit I prefer the bawdier Edward Marston series, similar setting and time period.
Bonnie
A fun murder mystery series, as told by Elizabethan actor Nick Revill. Historical details add to the plot making the mystery interesting. Entertaining.
Linda
Jul 19, 2010 Linda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A light easy read, especially for Shakespeare and mystery fans.
Fran
Fran marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Margaret Roy
Margaret Roy marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016
Marianne Luginbuhl
Marianne Luginbuhl marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2016
Bronwyn
Bronwyn rated it it was amazing
Feb 27, 2016
Joshua Escamilla
Joshua Escamilla rated it liked it
Feb 19, 2016
C.A.
C.A. marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2016
Cheryl Loman
Cheryl Loman marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Susanne Mulholland
Susanne Mulholland rated it liked it
Feb 02, 2016
Destiny
Destiny marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2016
Ann
Ann rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2016
Dubblainn Sidhe
Dubblainn Sidhe is currently reading it
Dec 13, 2015
Beiza
Beiza added it
Nov 17, 2015
Cyber
Cyber rated it it was amazing
Nov 12, 2015
Julie
Julie added it
Sep 26, 2015
Richard
Richard marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2015
Msl0nelyheart
Msl0nelyheart marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2015
Misha
Misha rated it did not like it
Jul 23, 2015
Jenn M
Jenn M marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2015
Murielle
Murielle marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Philip Gooden lives in Bath. In addition to his Nick Revill series, Sleep of Death, he is the author of The Guinness Guide to Better English and the editor of The Mammoth Book of Literary Anecdotes. Each of his Nick Revill mysteries revolves around a Shakespearean play mirroring life - in Sleep of Death the play was Hamlet, in this offering it is Troilus and Cressida.
AKA Philippa Morgan.

Series:
* S
More about Philip Gooden...

Shakespearean Murder (6 books)
  • Sleep of Death (Shakespearean Murder, #1)
  • Death of Kings (Shakespearean Murder, #2)
  • Alms for Oblivion (Shakespearean Murder, #4)
  • Mask of Night (Shakespearean Murder, #5)
  • An Honorable Murderer (Shakespearean Murder, #6)