Start by marking “Zatanna, Vol. 2: Shades of the Past” as Want to Read:
Zatanna, Vol. 2: Shades of the Past

Zatanna, Vol. 2: Shades of the Past (Zatanna #7-16)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  215 ratings  ·  31 reviews
The latest volume in the series starring the Mistress of Magic.Everybody's got that one thing that just creeps them out beyond all reason. For Zatanna Zatara, it's puppets:"Creepy, horrible, soul-sucking puppets." But why is one of the most powerful sorcerers on Earth scared of little wooden men in cheap suits? Finding out is what's got Zee back in therapy... but she might ...more
Published November 22nd 2011 by DC Comics (first published October 11th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Zatanna, Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zatanna, Vol. 2

Jeff
Yarooh rof tenhsif sgnikcots!

This volume is about magic in the DC universe (i.e. Superman’s bitch). Paul Dini, one of the movers behind Batman: The Animated Series*, is the big contributor here. What you have is solid stripped down storytelling – no crossovers, no big events, no cameos by Batman. The Spectre, Detective Chimp (more Bobo, please!) and Dale Colton do make appearances.

Zatanna, a magician, is not a major player in the DC universe, but here she gets a worthy collection of stories. Her
Gavin
Dini has always written great Batman stuff, and Zatanna was one who showed up in a few of those. To read her in her own book is interesting, because she's always doing something different, and yet always battling evil, but still sometimes only on a minor scale. It is also nice to see her cosmic scale and how major she is (Interacting with The Spectre for one). Though there's no Batman appearance, that's OK. I would like to see more of Dale Colton and Brother Night...too bad this is the Second an ...more
John Yelverton
I really felt that the book series took off after this story. Sadly, it appears that the company wide reboot killed this in its infancy.
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
These Zatanna graphic novels are great. I like the sense of whimsy and fun mixed with the intrinsic warning that magic can have an allure and be misused and abused by dark forces. While I am more afraid of clowns than puppets, I can completely see Zatanna's trepidation when it comes to puppets. And it turns out she has excellent reason for it. The story arc about the puppet was spooky in a good way, and it had plenty of twists to it.

Zatanna's stories go from humorous to very dark, and while Zat
Roy Gloeckl
I loved this collection of stories. They really showcase what makes Zatanna one of my favorite characters: Her wit, playfulness and sass. Not to mention, her powers. As a writer, it seems only natural that I would love a heroine whose powers originate from her usage of words.

In one of these stories, we see a tween Zatanna, fresh from the orthodontist. She's sloshing her words so badly (not to mention, spraying everyone in range) that no one can understand her. While she's at the mall, a robbery
Joseph Rice
This collection gets three stars, mainly for the art, which is pretty consistently good throughout, although there are a good number of different artists. Stylistically, they look similar, so it's not too disjointed from issue to issue.

The stories, however, are all over the place. Regular scribe Paul Dini only pens about half of these tales, and although he sets up a good number of subplots, none of them are resolved before the book's cancellation at issue #16. Most of these stories are one and
Olivia
A fun read with a variety of stories. I love Zatanna.
Emily
Aug 09, 2014 Emily rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: comics, dc
Good mix of stories in here ranging from awesome to annoying... quite a mix. However, overall not bad. I like Zatanna, I just would've liked some better writing I think. Something about the dialogue just wan't clicking for me. What I really wanna find now is some interactions between Batman and Zatanna because I remember I liked their friendship from Justice League Unlimited (the TV show) so hopefully that is represented in the comics too. Notice how I stress FRIENDSHIP not ROMANTIC RELATIONSHIP ...more
Kite Johnson
Shades of the Past is the second trade paperback finishing off Paul Dini’s run on Zatanna, as well as the finale of the book before the big New 52 relaunch. Sadly, this was not one of the books to be relaunched either in neither the first wave nor any of the subsequent ones. It is quite a shame as well as she is a character with so much potential. Currently though you can find her in Justice League Dark for all new adventures.

I found this particular volume better than the first. There was more a
Stephen Robb
Holy crap what a good read!

This is the exact opposite of everything I don't like about trade paperbacks:

It's a collection of (very clever or scary or funny) standalone stories, not a giant epic mess of retcon madness which is just a smaller part of a larger retcon madness.

The art is beautiful and consistent on every page, there's only one chapter that has more than one penciller.

A working knowledge of DC magic characters from the past helps the reader, but is not mandatory.

I would like to say no
Wing Kee Ho
Whimsical, fun and a fairly unique tone!

I know of Zatanna, mostly from her JLD and when she's on some team or another, but this was my first series that she's the titular character and while I did enjoy the last arc, I found it to be a bit on the surface level and I wanted something deeper (especially in the characters department), man oh man did I get my wish.

World: There are a couple of artists this time around as there are a lot of one and dones (which I love) but the main artist is Cliff Chi
Jason
Good fun
ClassicMaiden
I first read the stories in this Graphic Novel in the monthly comics.

It was one of the series I was saddest to see cancelled when DC Comics decided to do the reboot of the company in the New 52 Launch.

There's a story arc that starts in this Graphic Novel that wasn't resolved... :/

I highly recommend picking up this series.it was fantastic!
Katie
It would have gotten five stars but it had witches being burnt at the stake in Salem. Research is not that hard writers.

Aside from that I liked it a lot. Great art, interesting storylines and I want to read more about her.
Lexxi Kitty
Unfortunately the series ended with a ton of plots up in the air. Brother Night running around again. Some weird demon boy from Limbo Town. Zachary, the cousin who keeps almost dying. Etc. I assume those plot holes just got left up in the air because the series got cancelled, instead of just bad writing.

Some of the stories in this collection were interesting. Unfortunately almost none of them had conclusions. And some ended oddly. Like Zatanna was fighting this puppet guy. Next issue, he's human
Kristen
This is my first time reading a Zatanna (I couldn't find a copy of Mistress of Magic) comic and I was more than impressed. Dini writes her realistically, with a personality that had me grinning or chuckling at a lot of the things she says. She's cool and powerful, but also relatable and spunky. She takes her work seriously but also has fun, and even though you know she's a "good" character, you never feel like she's TOO good (eg. laughing at Mikey's comment about them "both scoring tonight"). Ev ...more
J.M. Hushour
Zatanna is one of those puzzling DC second-tier stalwarts who a) should be first-tier (she was in the goddamn Justice League) and b) frankly doesn't get the amount of attention the character deserves. Let's think about it this way: Zatanna is a homo magi, a branch of humanity who are freaking genetically magical!? You got me there. But, Zatanna is also a buxom, sassy stage musician who, with her top hat and fishnet stockings and utter disregard for pants, is top contender for best superhero cost ...more
Michelle Cristiani
This was about as good as a Zatanna book could be, given that (in my opinion) she doesn't have much gravitas on her own. Lots of clever twists to keep her thinking of new uses for her backwards-speaking spells.

Depending on my mood, reading the backwards spells was either tiresome or a fun puzzle to figure out. It seems to me she has a great deal of power at her disposal, and is only limited by what she can memorize. We are lucky she isn't a real troublemaker.
Robert
Jun 05, 2015 Robert rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: enoyna ohw nac dear siht
m'I lla tuoba annataZ!

annataZ!

This was wonderful stuff, charming, refreshing, not overly burdened by the weight of backstory and mythology, at times outright hilarious, at times downright disturbing. That this character is not being tapped for a film or TV adaptation, or at least her own monthly series, is a real shame.
Griffin Youngstrum
This was lovely because I've heard of Zatanna and have seen just images of her in Justice League and all that. This book gave a bunch of fun short stories to learn who she us and what she like...does....

Also, it took me half the book to realize her spells are normal commands just spoken backwards.
Ian Roditi
Historias cortas de la hechicera que sabe hablar al revés y las razones de por qué la amamos.
Me cae rebien esa Zatanna <3

Uoy tsum evol annataz
Sean
Zatanna has always been a character that I knew more about her look than her character. That probably just proves that I’m a typical guy. This book has a certain “Buffy” vibe to it that I love and the cast of characters, both good and bad, is really fun. The villains here are creepy, funny, and entertaining. The art here is very good. Overall, a very fun read!
meg
Annataz evol I! ^_^

One of my favorite characters.
Peacegal
A superpowers comic with brains. Zatanna isn't just another pretty face--she's intelligent, rational, and witty, plus she loves to sleep. (As a dedicated sleeper/dreamer myself, I always appreciate that.) I think her costume is rather unnecessary--just once, I'd like to see a female fight crime in jeans and a T-shirt.
Annice22
Zatanna's series was one of my favorite. I wish it had not been cancelled.

The last few issues were great from the Wingman with her cousin Zachary or the last issue with that evil little witch boy. I would really like to see how they concluded the arc with Brother Blood, it was really interesting.
Angela
Lots of fun. Zatanna finds out why she is scared of puppets. Its a fast paced adenture with some creepy bits and some funny bits. A good read.
Wow, what a bloody mess. An enjoyable mess, but, man, what a waste.
Alexandra Corinth
Jul 22, 2012 Alexandra Corinth marked it as to-read
I could not get into Zatanna. : /
Tessa
evil marionettes! need I say more?
stephanie
  • Justice League Dark, Vol. 2: The Books of Magic
  • Batgirl/Robin: Year One
  • Catwoman: Selina's Big Score
61935
Paul Dini is an American television producer of animated cartoons. He is best known as a producer and writer for several Warner Bros./DC Comics series, including Star Wars: Ewoks, Tiny Toon Adventures, Batman: The Animated Series, Superman: The Animated Series, The New Batman/Superman Adventures, Batman Beyond and Duck Dodgers. He also developed and scripted Krypto the Superdog and contributed scr ...more
More about Paul Dini...

Zatanna (2 books)
  • Zatanna, Vol. 1: The Mistress of Magic
The Batman Adventures: Mad Love Batman: Heart of Hush Superman: Peace on Earth Batman: War on Crime Batman: Streets of Gotham, Vol. 1: Hush Money