Start by marking “Monty Python and Philosophy: Nudge Nudge, Think Think! (Large Print 16pt)” as Want to Read:
Monty Python and Philosophy: Nudge Nudge, Think Think! (Large Print 16pt)

Monty Python and Philosophy: Nudge Nudge, Think Think! (Popular Culture and Philosophy #19)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  302 ratings  ·  28 reviews
It's . . . no hallucination. You really are reading the cover of a book entitled Monty Python and Philosophy. Though highly improbable, the book actually exists, which is proof enough that humankind did not get here by accident. ''Here '' in your case means looking at the cover of this book, clearly demonstrating that you ought to acquire it (the whole book, that is, not j ...more
Published August 24th 2010 by ReadHowYouWant (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Monty Python and Philosophy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Monty Python and Philosophy

Mg Goldstyn
Mar 20, 2009 Mg Goldstyn rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: the absurdists
Christopher
Aug 12, 2007 Christopher rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Python Fans
For the heavy-duty thinker/Python enthusiast. Sometimes funny, always illuminating.
Mike Smith
This is the second book in the "Philosophy and pop culture" series I've read (the first being inspired by the TV show "Lost"). This one, inspired by the Monty Python show and movies, was more fun to read than the Lost book. Given the source material, many of the authors of this collection of essays tried to inject Pythonesque humour into their pieces, some of them doing it quite well. Given that Monty Python often dealt directly in philosophical humour (think of the philosophy conversation in "T ...more
William Marsolek
I've seen other "...and Philosophy" books treat James Bond, Seinfeld, and Watchmen, all of which were worth a good skimming, but never worth spending the 10-20 dollars. (I'm but a poor college philosophy major.) But, when I saw this at the bookstore, the inner Python in me squealed and I bought it on the spot.

Overall, it was a fine read. I wish I had flipped through the pages first though. My problem with this book is its lack of philosophical diversity. With only one exception, all of the phil
John Trippel
A unique and comprehensive critique of Monty Pythons ideas expressed in their films skits given by contemporary intellectuals of the current Academic halls of Philosophy. Some are 'right on' and some reviews seem very incomprehensible to me and others 'get it' and give me a great appreciation for those memorable films like 'the Life of Brian' and 'Monty Python and The Search for the Holy Grail'.
I really liked reading about those oh so funny films in the light of the deeper joy in the absurdit
Savvas Katseas
Ας πω αυτό πρώτα: το βιβλίο αυτό δεν απευθύνεται ούτε σε fans των Python, ούτε σε φιλόσοφους. Οι πρώτοι θα το βρουν εξαντλητικό, βαρετό και πιο βαρύ από βουτιά στον Ειρηνικό μ' έναν τσιμεντόλιθο στο κάθε πόδι και Sunn O)))) στα αδιάβροχα ακουστικά του αδιάβροχου Walkman τους. Οι δεύτεροι μάλλον θα γελάσουν -- για όλους τους *λάθος* λόγους.

Η συλλογή -ναι, συλλογή κειμένων είναι- έχει μεικτό υλικό, με τα περισσότερα κείμενα να εστιάζουν επάνω στον Υπαρξισμό και την Αναλυτική Φιλοσοφία. Δεν άλλαξε
Naomi
Instead of being organized in chapters addressing philosophical theories--or at least some overlaying theme (aside from the obvious Monty Python tie), this book is a collection of stand-alone essays written by philosophers that often overlap other essays in the book. There were a few authors that found a great tone for their essay, but the majority of the book's submissions either took themselves (and philosophy) too seriously, or tried too hard to match Python's absurdity--both making a majorit ...more
Oliver Ho
I enjoyed this book a lot--fun, brief and informative. It covered a wide range of subjects with a light touch.
John
An interesting book, yes, and fun; hey, with the Pythons as your starting reference point it would be tough to go wrong. But as a collective work, it has a malady common to that genre - not all the essays are worth reading. As one of the authors notes, the most noticeable difference between philosophers and Pytons is that philosophers aren't funny. There are insights in this book, and it is worth reading; but be prepared to slog through some chaff to get to the good stuff.
Amanda
Hard to sit down and read straight through unless you really like all schools of philosophical thought, and even then, I don't think individual sketches really merit in-depth philosophical explication. There is a whole chapter devoted to the Piston Engine sketch, which nearly made me stab myself in the eye. Still, definitely worthhile to leaf through if you're a Python fan with an elementary grounding in philosophy...but maybe only leaf through it, not buy it.
Jen
Jan 12, 2009 Jen rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: deep thinking Python-heads
Shelves: 2009, winter08-09
I enjoyed this book a lot. There were sections, such as the essay on Existentialism in Monty Python, that intrigued me enough to get up and find more of my existentialist books. The one draw back I saw was the overuse of the philosophy of Wittgenstein. He was mentioned in almost every other article, and it began to get a bit tedious.
Helena
Fez-me recordar os Monty Python e por um bom tempo fiquei com as cenas dos filmes e das séries na minha memória. Quanto à filosofia, não tem nada a ver, a não ser a certa altura quando colocam filósofos mortos a jogar futebol, de resto, não creio que estejam a querer dar sentido a um homem que come a ter rebentar....ou talvez sim.
Jenn
This my first experience with Philosophy...scarry. I liked it at first, but the more I read, the more I realized that each article was pretty similar to the first one. I think I probably should have gone in with a little more knowledge of basic philosophy. I probably wouldn't been able to get a little more into it.

Dennis
Feb 01, 2009 Dennis rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Python fans & Philosophers
I've always said that everything I learned about philosophy I learned from Monty Python. Mostly because of their "Bruces' Philosopher Song". Now I know more, whether I'll remember any of it going forward is up for debate, but it was interesting, especially when examples were cited out of classic sketches.
Melody
I enjoyed it much more at the beginning. The essays started to get repetitive. They cited the same sketches and even the same quotes from philosophers it seemed at times. Interesting points were made, but after the third time they became less interesting. Still a great read for Python fans however.
Jonathan
Overall, I enjoyed it. But a critical point is being familiar with Monty Python; the more that you like Monty Python, the more you will like this book. I am not extremely familiar with them, so this wasn't my favorite book ever read. Does cause you to think though. Isn't that the point of reading?
Lucy
A collection of thesis (don't be intimated by the word, most of them are fun to read) on Monty Python and their close relationship with Philosophy and philosophical ideas. If you love Monty Python and want to explore more, then you've found yourself another good book to enjoy.
Kevin Montgomery
Interesting viewpoints of current day philosophers views of Monty Python's sketch comedy and movies. A lot of it is spot on but others interpretations are really reaching. A bit of a difficult read like most philosophy texts but fun for the most part.
J. D.
As funny and ironic as Monty Python itself.
Katt
vetsina eseji je neuveritelne zajimava a samozrejme (to snad ani nemusim dodavat, nikdo snad neceka spanelskou inkvizici) vtipna. Cely to samozrejme korunuje Brucova pijacka pisnicka o filozofech, ktera je vlastne zaklad :)
Wolfman
Some of it was over my head, but there were parts that were both funny and educational. It was fun to go back and watch the sketches and movies that were discussed in the book with an eye to the philosophy involved.
Kumekei
Para quem gosta de filosofia principalmente. Os Monty Python são mesmo só para contextualizar.
Mas á medida que vais lendo e lembrando os sketches pensas "pois é!".
SC
Sep 08, 2012 SC marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Sharon
Dec 26, 2007 Sharon is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: non-fiction, satire
I shelved this under 'satire', but both the editors are philosophy professors. The contributors all have academic credentials as well.
Robert
Sep 30, 2007 Robert rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people named Bruce
one of the best in the "Popular Culture and Philosophy" series.
Amelia
Aug 17, 2008 Amelia marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
A high school graduation gift I've been meaning to actually read.
Amy
I like the idea. We'll see how it works in practice
Susan Fitzpatrick
Susan Fitzpatrick marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2015
  • The Beatles and Philosophy: Nothing You Can Think that Can't Be Thunk
  • Star Trek and Philosophy: The Wrath of Kant
  • The Daily Show and Philosophy: Moments of Zen in the Art of Fake News
  • Stephen Colbert and Philosophy: I Am Philosophy (And So Can You!)
  • The Chronicles of Narnia and Philosophy: The Lion, the Witch, and the Worldview
  • Superheroes and Philosophy: Truth, Justice, and the Socratic Way
  • More Matrix and Philosophy: Revolutions and Reloaded Decoded
  • Woody Allen and Philosophy: [You Mean My Whole Fallacy Is Wrong?]
  • Sherlock Holmes and Philosophy: The Footprints of a Gigantic Mind
  • Dexter and Philosophy: Mind over Spatter
  • X-Men and Philosophy: Astonishing Insight and Uncanny Argument in the Mutant X-Verse
  • Iron Man and Philosophy: Facing the Stark Reality
  • Mad Men and Philosophy: Nothing is as it Seems
  • Supervillains and Philosophy: Sometimes, Evil is its Own Reward
  • Game of Thrones and Philosophy: Logic Cuts Deeper Than Swords
  • Inception and Philosophy: Ideas to Die For  (Popular Culture and Philosophy)
  • Alice in Wonderland and Philosophy: Curiouser And Curiouser
  • Gilles Deleuze

Popular Culture and Philosophy (1 - 10 of 63 books)
  • Seinfeld and Philosophy: A Book about Everything and Nothing
  • Baseball and Philosophy: Thinking Outside the Batter's Box
  • The Sopranos and Philosophy: I Kill Therefore I Am
  • Woody Allen and Philosophy: [You Mean My Whole Fallacy Is Wrong?]
  • Harry Potter and Philosophy: If Aristotle Ran Hogwarts
  • Mel Gibson's Passion and Philosophy: The Cross, the Questions, the Controverssy
Bullshit and Philosophy Bullshit and Philosophy: Guaranteed to Get Perfect Results Every Time (Popular Culture and Philosophy) Logical Empiricism in North America

“Is God really real?”This is a perennial question for the philosophy of religion. Fortunately, the Pythons have answers to it. Perhaps too many answers. If we asked Arthur, King of the Britons, he would certainly testify that God exists, speaks English, and can’t stand people groveling, averting their eyes, ceaselessly apologizing, and deeming themselves unworthy. Yet when we begin inquiring into Monty Python’s The Meaning of Life, “there is some doubt” about whether God is really real, or, to put it more philosophically, there is doubt over whether God’s existence can be established through a valid argument. There is a long philosophical tradition of constructing rational arguments for the existence and attributes of God, and an equally long skeptical tradition of deconstructing those same arguments. The Pythons have been exemplary participants in the latter tradition, either through parody, or by echoing in a funnier and more succinct way the skeptical arguments of such philosophical predecessors as Scottish philosopher David Hume (1711-1776).” 2 likes
“This raises the question, was Brian Cohen divine? Let’s take a look at his miracles. In Monty Python’s Life of Brian, each “miracle” Brian performs leads to greater conviction on the part of his followers that his every utterance is Divinely sanctioned. His first miracle is to be “taken up” into heaven, only to be spotted in full sprint moments later. For his next miracle, he causes a juniper bush to bring forth juniper berries. Later he miraculously restores the power of speech to Simon, a hermit of eighteen years (by landing on his foot, that is). As evidence of Brian’s divinity mounts, his words are received by the devoted throng as Divine revelation. His exasperated plea for the crowd to “fuck off ” is treated as an invitation to ritual: “How shall we fuck off, O Lord?” 2 likes