Start by marking “The Gathering Dark” as Want to Read:
The Gathering Dark

The Gathering Dark

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  481 ratings  ·  73 reviews
A mysterious teen boy knows the secrets of Keira’s dangerous hallucinations in this gripping romantic fantasy from the author of Claire de Lune.

Keira’s hallucinating. First it’s a door hovering above the road; then it’s a tree in her living room. But with her parents fighting and her best friend not speaking to her, Keira can’t tell anyone about her breakdown.

Until she mee
Published February 12th 2013 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about The Gathering Dark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gathering Dark

Clockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareUnravel Me by Tahereh MafiThe Elite by Kiera CassEverbound by Brodi AshtonBoundless by Cynthia Hand
Beautiful Book Covers of 2013
77th out of 561 books — 1,993 voters
Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareRequiem by Lauren OliverThe Indigo Spell by Richelle MeadUnravel Me by Tahereh Mafi
YA Novels of 2013
249th out of 1,512 books — 10,265 voters

More lists with this book...

Wendy Darling
1.5 stars DNF at roughly 200 pages. Probably should have stopped on page 13 at this line:

His eyes were mesmerizing--like watching the gray sheets of rain working their way in from the Atlantic.
Matilda
Jul 24, 2012 Matilda marked it as to-read

For some reason, I'm wondering how, and why her BEST friend left her. Maybe they got into a best-friend-fight. And Keira got a little ... angry? MAYBE she did somethinglikethis ...

Her best friend was probably ... Freaked.Somethinglike this ?

And then we have this Walker, character. Hmm ... I'm picturing a little mysterious, HOTT, of course.

Seems legit. Hallucinations, you say? I'm sure there's a perfectly reasonable explanation ...

Just kidding. This book sounds intense, sick, and I'm totally
Sam
The Gathering Dark, unfortunately, is not nearly as intriguing as it sounds. With the main character plagued by obscure and mysterious hallucinations – trees appearing indoors, dark moving patterns appearing on a stranger’s arms – this book is simply a long and tedious journey to finding out the how and why. The concept, once revealed, is actually rather imaginative. By then, however, it is far too late to be truly redeeming.

It is almost like reading two different books here. The first half is a
Beatriz  Lins
Jul 22, 2012 Beatriz Lins marked it as to-read
Shelves: feb-13
"They have an electric connection [...]"

Please, don't let it be insta-love. Don't let it be insta-love. Don't let it be insta-love.

Lyndsey
I really didn't care for this book. But I LOVE LOVE LOVE the author.

The Author's Note at the end of the book completely won me over. I can't express how much I adore the fact that she is advocating for the sciences. Though the so-called "science" in this book is complete bullhonky, her note inspiring readers to explore the grand world of physics really made me happy. So for that - much love!

So I did not read the summary or any reviews about this book before I started, and I'm so glad that didn't
Guadalupe
Apr 09, 2012 Guadalupe marked it as books-that-i-need-to-read
Christine Johnson’s THE GATHERING DARK, about a gifted pianist who discovers that she and the mysterious boy she’s falling for are part of an alternate world made from dark matter, and in a race of love against fear, she must somehow save her life without losing herself.

This book has my name written all over it.

excited gif Pictures, Images and Photos

Christine, this book better blow my mind and leave dazzled.

dazzled Pictures, Images and Photos

I'm definitely loving the upcoming 2012 books.
Ain020596
Jun 21, 2012 Ain020596 marked it as to-read
Reading the synopsis, looking at the beautiful cover...

description

Also, I may be a little addicted to gifs. Just a little. Just a teeny weeny bit.
Hermione
1.5 stars. The Gathering Dark, unfortunately, did not seem to wow! me, and here's why:

◦ Crap characters.

◦ Crap world building.

◦ Crap plot.

Keira has a natural affinity with music — more specifically, with her piano. After she meets the alluring and enigmatic Walker, she feels an instant connection: something otherworldly ... literally. With dark visions haunting her at every curve, Keira realizes she is something much more than human, and if she is to live, she must uncover the secret that coul
Ta§chima Cullen
Jun 25, 2012 Ta§chima Cullen marked it as to-read
I wonder if this girl also sees a monkey in her closet... Nevertheless great summary, great cover, definitely a must add for the wish list!
little machines
Jun 18, 2012 little machines marked it as to-read
Shelves: covergasm
Oh my sweet baby penguins, this cover is breathtaking.

I can't stop looking at it.
Hafsah Laziaf
What really disappointed me was that the synopsis says nothing about a piano. Nope, nothing at all. But that's what the story is mainly about, Keira seeing things and her beloved piano. And I don't really like books where the main character is obsessed with music. So yeah, THE GATHERING DARK was pretty boring for me.

Read Full Review on Iceybooks

Aliyah Arafah
* spoiler alert *
Best book i've read so far from all the others. I couldn't put it down for a minuet! <3 The ending was so realistic, and the fact that her dad, pike couldn't come with them, just showed how real the book seemed, because it shows that not everybody can have what they want and that there is an opportunity cost for every move that she takes.
The fact that the wold had music as its religion, or its culture showed why she was so obsessed with her piano without knowing why, and how
Zoe Tribley
I cannot tell you how happy and how I angry I am about this book. Happy that I'm finally done with it. Angry that I wasted days reading the longest 512 pages. In. My. Life.

This book was so bad that I had to make a new shelf for it. The "just effing horrible" shelf- yeah that was not there five minutes ago. But how could I let this book just sit around not properly shelved. At least now, with my new and self explanatory shelf, this piece of shite is where it belongs.

I want to tell you everythin
CJ
I received "The Gathering Dark" by Christine Johnson through the Goodreads Giveaway contests. The ARC I received featured a plain blue cover with the title and author's name and 498 pages in length, not the final cover with the girl on the front and 512 pages long. "The Gathering Dark" was so good that I want to get the final version just to see what I missed in the extra 14 pages.

The story of Keira, a girl who knows what she wants and wants nothing to get in the way of her reaching her goals, f
Aren
This is a really good book, fast-moving and hard to put down. Keira's drive towards music is easy to relate to. It is very common for girls with a plan for their future to worry about a choice between the love of their lives and their career. The balancing between the boyfriend and piano really shows the weighing process vs and the tough choices girls too often have to make. The romance was very well written and the characterizations were very realistic.

The science fiction aspect and action were
Vrinda Pendred
I've lost faith in Simon & Schuster, as a publishing company. They put out this and the Mara Dyer books, and neither series makes any sense.

This started out amazingly. Then 50% through, it went downhill fast. I think the point when I stopped being able to take it seriously was when I realised what the plot was. Convoluted does not begin to cover it.

And what gets me is in the afterword, the author says it's a sci-fi book. But it's not. There's zero science. Oh wait, no. There were two sentenc
Sandi Jones
A lovely dark, paranormal romance. Review to come in LMC.
Leslie
Johnson's premise is fascinating - a Dark world exists in tandem with ours, made up of dark matter. Keira discovers this world when she begins seeing strange things: tattoos that melt away, unusual fruit, people who seem to disappear. She believes she's losing her mind until she meets Will, a new clerk at the music store she loves. When she starts to fall for Will, Keira is angry and scared since she believes her only way out of her small town life is her talent as a pianist. Dating isn't part o ...more
Valen
The Gathering Dark tells the story of dark forces battling the forces of the light.

Kiera was for the most part, a good protag. I did not 'love' her relationship with Walker because even though she constantly said that she did not want a boyfriend and did not need anyone, Walker was still there for her and protecting her and she let him. I didn't care for that bit of her personality, but other then that, she provided me with a character who had a good sense of self. Kiera knew what she wanted in
Bayla
Buzzwords: Music (classical piano, specifically, but music in general, too), romance, parallel reality, family problems.

Keira is a pianist, and her music is all she wants to focus on. She has no time for boys, especially. But then she meets Walker, and insta-love happens. Then her parent's fights get worse, and weird things start happening - weird, dangerous things...
A lot of this book was cliché/predictable, insta-love tends to get on my nerves, and there were some threads I didn't think were c
Bayan Basri
First and foremost I'd like to say that I absolutely adored the idea of Dark Matter. What's so great about it is that the author didn't make it up; it's actual physics! The idea of existing particles that we can't see is just so cool. It means that there is possibly another world, an entire civilization even, among us. Tell me that's not mind blowing. The Dark Matter was the best thing about the book. Period.

The writing style was easy yo understand, and the author did a really good job describin
Claire
I have mixed feelings about this book. Some parts were really good and others were not so good. I didn't mind Keira but I felt like Ms. Johnson was trying too hard to make sure that her heroine was not weak (which as we all know can sometimes be the case, usually the first thing the reader picks up on and gets bothered with), Keira seemed too stubborn sometimes and granted (view spoiler) but sometimes it felt really forced. The first half of the books ...more
Lisa
Disclaimer first. I am one of Christine's critmates and I read, possibly four or five drafts of this book before it was ever even an arc. So, I do think it's a testament to its quality that I was able to read it again, for the fifth time and still enjoy it immensely. I note that a lot of people found Keira annoying for her steadfast determination NOT to like Walker, and her dogged attachment to her piano--and I will stand up and defend her. She did not want to end up like her mother, stuck in Sh ...more
Erin Arkin
This one sounded promising to me...about 60 pages in I had an idea that it wasn't going to be a favorite.

The story itself was good - there is a girl who doesn't know that she is half darkling, half human and then the back story of the Experimentals and this other realm...all sounded great. Unfortunately I hated the main character. In order for me to really enjoy a book I have to love them and these just didn't do it for me.

First, Keira was annoying. I get it, you love music and you're "gorgeous
Savannah (Books With Bite)
Another great read, I love diving into plots of the unexpected. You think you know, but you have know idea...

Let me start with the fact that I enjoyed the adventure in the plot, not so much the plot. The plot is what I call average. A girl coming of age and finding out she is not who she thought she is. Her parents are not her parents and of course a guy coming into the picture started it all. Get my drift? I enjoyed the part of Keira discovering who she is. She quickly uncovers her past alongsi
Melanie
4*s
review posted here...
Gathering Dark tells us the story of a young girl – Keira – who has dedicated her life to music forsaking everything a young girl usually goes through, yeah she has friends but that never gets in the way of practice but boys are a definite no-no, she will concentrate on her career and the first step is gaining acceptance to Julliard. It is her quest for the perfect piece of music that brings Keira to the attention of Walker, she has
Michelle
I've gone to the Darkside. The fact that Christine Johnson managed to name the alternate reality (secondary reality might be a better term in this case) Darkside without sparking my Star Wars bone earns this book an exta half star. Drop a definite article make it a compound word and make sure you paint a wonderfully descriptive picture of the world and apparently that works.
She is extremely adept at describing the world and characters she has created. Visually, and aurally you get sucked into t
WJ
The Gathering Dark has a very interesting premise, one that was a bit reminiscent of The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer actually. I was hoping that Keira and Walker would make for better company than Mara and Noah and that the plot would be more engaging and exciting. The Gathering Dark isn't as cliched as the blurb makes it sound but neither is it a good YA book either.

The book is made up of two halves, the first about Keira and the development of her relationship with Walker. Scenes with her halluci
Cait Grace
Pianos. Hot paranormal guys. The odd car crash. Oh! And coffee. What more could a book need? THE GATHERING DARK is definitely a hot read. What it lacked in plot speed it made up for in the theory of another world mushed against our own. Cool. Very cool.

Keira is a musical genius, very stubborn, and she does-not-date-boys-ever. Her character is quite cute, though lacks personalized voice. Being stubborn and independent made for a fresh read though. She totally didn’t need a guy opening her car do
Margaret
This book has been on my shelf for a month since I bought it...Yeah I know that is way too long for a book to sit on a shelf but I was busy and I ended up getting a lot more interesting books. This one doesn't really tell you what it is about until almost halfway through the book which is kind of annoying. I did enjoy it though it was kind of boring at times and it took me much longer to finish the book than I thought it would. It reminded me of Prom & Prejudice, Hush Hush, and Twilight. Muc ...more
Goodreads Librari...: Book associated with wrong author 6 43 Jan 12, 2013 08:47AM
  • Mystique
  • Revel
  • Ashes on the Waves
  • Broken (Broken, #1)
  • Furious
  • Touch of Death (Touch of Death, #1)
  • City of a Thousand Dolls (Bhinian Empire, #1)
  • Dance of Shadows (Dance of Shadows, #1)
  • Delusion
  • Cybernetic
  • Level 2 (The Memory Chronicles, #1)
  • Ashes and Ice (Ashes and Ice, #1)
  • Pretty Dark Nothing (Pretty Dark Nothing, #1)
  • Unavenged (Unavenged, #1)
  • Prophecy (The Dragon King Chronicles, #1)
  • Reaper
  • The Dead and Buried
  • The Murmurings
There is more than one author with this name

I grew up in, moved away from, and finally came home to Indianapolis, Indiana. While I was in the “away” part of that adventure, I was living in Chicago, Illinois, where I went to DePaul University and met my husband. I majored in Political Science. For the record, Political Science is a totally useless degree. But it’s also totally fascinating and I lov
More about Christine Johnson...
Claire de Lune (Claire de Lune, #1) Nocturne (Claire de Lune, #2) Grim Two Tales Dark and Grim: The Key\The Brothers Piggett Defy the Dark