Start by marking “The Gathering Dark” as Want to Read:
The Gathering Dark

The Gathering Dark

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  573 ratings  ·  87 reviews
A mysterious teen boy knows the secrets of Keira’s dangerous hallucinations in this gripping romantic fantasy from the author of Claire de Lune.

Keira’s hallucinating. First it’s a door hovering above the road; then it’s a tree in her living room. But with her parents fighting and her best friend not speaking to her, Keira can’t tell anyone about her breakdown.

Until she mee
Published February 12th 2013 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about The Gathering Dark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gathering Dark

Clockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareUnravel Me by Tahereh MafiThe Elite by Kiera CassEverbound by Brodi AshtonBoundless by Cynthia Hand
Beautiful Book Covers of 2013
78th out of 587 books — 2,075 voters
Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareRequiem by Lauren OliverThe Indigo Spell by Richelle MeadUnravel Me by Tahereh Mafi
YA Novels of 2013
250th out of 1,531 books — 10,690 voters

More lists with this book...

Wendy Darling
1.5 stars DNF at roughly 200 pages. Probably should have stopped on page 13 at this line:

His eyes were mesmerizing--like watching the gray sheets of rain working their way in from the Atlantic.
Matilda
Jul 24, 2012 Matilda marked it as to-read

For some reason, I'm wondering how, and why her BEST friend left her. Maybe they got into a best-friend-fight. And Keira got a little ... angry? MAYBE she did somethinglikethis ...

Her best friend was probably ... Freaked.Somethinglike this ?

And then we have this Walker, character. Hmm ... I'm picturing a little mysterious, HOTT, of course.

Seems legit. Hallucinations, you say? I'm sure there's a perfectly reasonable explanation ...

Just kidding. This book sounds intense, sick, and I'm tota
Beatriz  Lins
Jul 22, 2012 Beatriz Lins marked it as to-read
Shelves: feb-13
"They have an electric connection [...]"

Please, don't let it be insta-love. Don't let it be insta-love. Don't let it be insta-love.

Lyndsey
I really didn't care for this book. But I LOVE LOVE LOVE the author.

The Author's Note at the end of the book completely won me over. I can't express how much I adore the fact that she is advocating for the sciences. Though the so-called "science" in this book is complete bullhonky, her note inspiring readers to explore the grand world of physics really made me happy. So for that - much love!

So I did not read the summary or any reviews about this book before I started, and I'm so glad that didn't
Guadalupe
Apr 09, 2012 Guadalupe marked it as books-that-i-need-to-read
Christine Johnson’s THE GATHERING DARK, about a gifted pianist who discovers that she and the mysterious boy she’s falling for are part of an alternate world made from dark matter, and in a race of love against fear, she must somehow save her life without losing herself.

This book has my name written all over it.

excited gif Pictures, Images and Photos

Christine, this book better blow my mind and leave dazzled.

dazzled Pictures, Images and Photos

I'm definitely loving the upcoming 2012 books.
Ain020596
Jun 21, 2012 Ain020596 marked it as to-read
Reading the synopsis, looking at the beautiful cover...

description

Also, I may be a little addicted to gifs. Just a little. Just a teeny weeny bit.
Hermione
1.5 stars. The Gathering Dark, unfortunately, did not seem to wow! me, and here's why:

Crap characters.

Crap world building.

Crap plot.

Keira has a natural affinity with music — more specifically, with her piano. After she meets the alluring and enigmatic Walker, she feels an instant connection: something otherworldly ... literally. With dark visions haunting her at every curve, Keira realizes she is something much more than human, and if she is to live, she must uncover the secret that could s
Taschima Cullen
Jun 25, 2012 Taschima Cullen marked it as to-read
I wonder if this girl also sees a monkey in her closet... Nevertheless great summary, great cover, definitely a must add for the wish list!
Aliyah
* spoiler alert *
Best book i've read so far from all the others. I couldn't put it down for a minuet! <3 The ending was so realistic, and the fact that her dad, pike couldn't come with them, just showed how real the book seemed, because it shows that not everybody can have what they want and that there is an opportunity cost for every move that she takes.
The fact that the wold had music as its religion, or its culture showed why she was so obsessed with her piano without knowing why, and how
Hafsah Laziaf
What really disappointed me was that the synopsis says nothing about a piano. Nope, nothing at all. But that's what the story is mainly about, Keira seeing things and her beloved piano. And I don't really like books where the main character is obsessed with music. So yeah, THE GATHERING DARK was pretty boring for me.

Read Full Review on Iceybooks

Andrea Judy
I won this book at DragonCon and was sold on it by being told it was about alternate realities and music.
I fell in love with the story from the get go. Keira is a great character, super driven, and super focused on her piano practice to make sure she gets into Juilliard. Her friend Susan is supportive but caught up in a relationship of her own. Keira doesn't want anything to do with dating until she meets Walker, a strange young man with tattoos that seem to disappear from his arm. The more tim
Trisha
This book just wasn't for me. I didn't like the insta love, I didn't like the main character and Walker did not wow me. Not even the best friend was interesting.....
Taylor Knight
First off, this book is such a quick read. It really had a flowing writing style that was really easy to read.

I might have really liked this book if it wasn't so cliche. Right from the beginning, I started to roll my eyes at how the main character was so insanely dull. She's pretty much a conventional, go-to female lead in YA. Nothing really stood out about her, the male protagonist, or the overall plot. It was very mindless reading.

For me personally, this book just didn't have enough substance
Jessica (Goldenfurpro)
This and other reviews can be found on The Psychotic Nerd

MY THOUGHTS
I've been wanting to read this book for such a long time and I'm glad to say I was not disappointed!
The book follows Kiera, who is pretty normal, though she is a piano prodigy. She knows what she's doing with her life and she knows how to get there. Then she begins having strange hallucinations. A doorway in the middle of the street, a tree in her livingroom, these hallucinations begin to distract her and she feels like she's
Zoe Tribley
I cannot tell you how happy and how I angry I am about this book. Happy that I'm finally done with it. Angry that I wasted days reading the longest 512 pages. In. My. Life.

This book was so bad that I had to make a new shelf for it. The "just effing horrible" shelf- yeah that was not there five minutes ago. But how could I let this book just sit around not properly shelved. At least now, with my new and self explanatory shelf, this piece of shite is where it belongs.

I want to tell you everythin
CJ
I received "The Gathering Dark" by Christine Johnson through the Goodreads Giveaway contests. The ARC I received featured a plain blue cover with the title and author's name and 498 pages in length, not the final cover with the girl on the front and 512 pages long. "The Gathering Dark" was so good that I want to get the final version just to see what I missed in the extra 14 pages.

The story of Keira, a girl who knows what she wants and wants nothing to get in the way of her reaching her goals, f
Cassie Parker
I was at Hastings and had wanted to buy a few new books, so I went over to the clarence rack and found a copy of this book for five dollars. I read the synopsis and couldn't pass it up. It sounded like a riveting read and an original one at that. I was far from wrong.

I loved this book from start to finish. We are thrown into the Kiera's world as soon as we begin reading it. We can see her love of music right off and her willingness to work hard for what she wants. Kiera's character had many c
Heather
Oh boy.

I'm not really sure how to rate this one, so I'll go through the main points.

1) Length. The Gathering Dark is a pretty long book and it felt like a long book. But not only that, the author took forever to set the book up. I was more than half way through with the book, before I got any kind of clue as to why so many weird things were happening.
2) Love/Romance. It was iffy. In the beginning, the main character's love interest is kind of a stalker. And he ALWAYS talks about how pretty Ke
Aren
This is a really good book, fast-moving and hard to put down. Keira's drive towards music is easy to relate to. It is very common for girls with a plan for their future to worry about a choice between the love of their lives and their career. The balancing between the boyfriend and piano really shows the weighing process vs and the tough choices girls too often have to make. The romance was very well written and the characterizations were very realistic.

The science fiction aspect and action were
Pooja
The Gathering Dark employs a lot of cliches tropes that are just tiresome at this point. The biggest stand-out is insta-love, but I can't hold that particular one against the book too much. The summary literally says that everything changes when she meets Walker, with whom she shares an "electric connection."

Apart from that, the characters aren't terrible and the world had potential, although it wasn't nearly as fleshed out as I would have liked it to be. The plot, apart from establishing the i
Helen
Vrinda Pendred
I've lost faith in Simon & Schuster, as a publishing company. They put out this and the Mara Dyer books, and neither series makes any sense.

This started out amazingly. Then 50% through, it went downhill fast. I think the point when I stopped being able to take it seriously was when I realised what the plot was. Convoluted does not begin to cover it.

And what gets me is in the afterword, the author says it's a sci-fi book. But it's not. There's zero science. Oh wait, no. There were two sentenc
Sandi Jones
A lovely dark, paranormal romance. Review to come in LMC.
Mikayla Bond
4.5 out of 5 stars

A gifted pianist discovers that she and the mysterious boy she's falling for aren't quite what they seem. In a race of love against fear, Keira must somehow save her their lives without losing herself.

The beginning of this book is long. There is a lot of building up toward the pivotal moment. I love how strong Keira is, even though she's facing so many stressful things at once. She keeps her head up and does what is right for her and the people around her.
The author tries to
Leslie
Johnson's premise is fascinating - a Dark world exists in tandem with ours, made up of dark matter. Keira discovers this world when she begins seeing strange things: tattoos that melt away, unusual fruit, people who seem to disappear. She believes she's losing her mind until she meets Will, a new clerk at the music store she loves. When she starts to fall for Will, Keira is angry and scared since she believes her only way out of her small town life is her talent as a pianist. Dating isn't part o ...more
Valen
The Gathering Dark tells the story of dark forces battling the forces of the light.

Kiera was for the most part, a good protag. I did not 'love' her relationship with Walker because even though she constantly said that she did not want a boyfriend and did not need anyone, Walker was still there for her and protecting her and she let him. I didn't care for that bit of her personality, but other then that, she provided me with a character who had a good sense of self. Kiera knew what she wanted in
Bayla
Buzzwords: Music (classical piano, specifically, but music in general, too), romance, parallel reality, family problems.

Keira is a pianist, and her music is all she wants to focus on. She has no time for boys, especially. But then she meets Walker, and insta-love happens. Then her parent's fights get worse, and weird things start happening - weird, dangerous things...
A lot of this book was cliché/predictable, insta-love tends to get on my nerves, and there were some threads I didn't think were c
Bayan Basri
First and foremost I'd like to say that I absolutely adored the idea of Dark Matter. What's so great about it is that the author didn't make it up; it's actual physics! The idea of existing particles that we can't see is just so cool. It means that there is possibly another world, an entire civilization even, among us. Tell me that's not mind blowing. The Dark Matter was the best thing about the book. Period.

The writing style was easy yo understand, and the author did a really good job describin
Claire
I have mixed feelings about this book. Some parts were really good and others were not so good. I didn't mind Keira but I felt like Ms. Johnson was trying too hard to make sure that her heroine was not weak (which as we all know can sometimes be the case, usually the first thing the reader picks up on and gets bothered with), Keira seemed too stubborn sometimes and granted (view spoiler) but sometimes it felt really forced. The first half of the books ...more
Lisa
Disclaimer first. I am one of Christine's critmates and I read, possibly four or five drafts of this book before it was ever even an arc. So, I do think it's a testament to its quality that I was able to read it again, for the fifth time and still enjoy it immensely. I note that a lot of people found Keira annoying for her steadfast determination NOT to like Walker, and her dogged attachment to her piano--and I will stand up and defend her. She did not want to end up like her mother, stuck in Sh ...more
  • Mystique
  • Ashes on the Waves
  • Revel
  • Pretty Dark Nothing (Pretty Dark Nothing, #1)
  • Ashes and Ice (Ashes and Ice, #1)
  • Unavenged (Unavenged, #1)
  • Furious
  • Level 2 (The Memory Chronicles, #1)
  • Touch of Death (Touch of Death, #1)
  • Delusion
  • City of a Thousand Dolls (Bhinian Empire, #1)
  • Dance of Shadows (Dance of Shadows, #1)
  • The Murmurings
  • Linked (Linked #1)
  • Cybernetic
  • The Lost Sun (The United States of Asgard, #1)
  • Nameless (Tales of Beauty & Madness, #1)
  • The Last Academy
There is more than one author with this name

I grew up in, moved away from, and finally came home to Indianapolis, Indiana. While I was in the “away” part of that adventure, I was living in Chicago, Illinois, where I went to DePaul University and met my husband. I majored in Political Science. For the record, Political Science is a totally useless degree. But it’s also totally fascinating and I lov
More about Christine Johnson...
Claire de Lune (Claire de Lune, #1) Grim Nocturne (Claire de Lune, #2) Two Tales Dark and Grim: The Key\The Brothers Piggett Defy the Dark