Start by marking “Pharaoh's Son” as Want to Read:
Pharaoh's Son

Pharaoh's Son (Memphis Cycle #3)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  32 ratings  ·  12 reviews
The crash of Pharaoh's colossal statue into a throng of worshippers brings the festival of the good god Ptah of Memphis to a sudden, bloody end. Prince Khay, the High Priest, barely escapes being killed, himself. He finds clues in the wreckage that show that the disaster was deliberately set. Now he is confronted with questions that grow more alarming with every answer he ...more
Paperback, First Edition
Published 1999 by Authorhouse

To ask other readers questions about Pharaoh's Son, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pharaoh's Son

James Hockey
This story is a conundrum in a setting that to many is already mysterious, that of ancient Egypt.

Diana Wilder peels back the veil shrouding this society of 3000 years ago. She peoples it with a royal household inhabited by engaging, understandable and believable characters.

Many mystery novels are predictable; the solution broadcasts itself in a way that is a spoiler from quite early on. This is not such a novel. The mystery here is a page-turner where overlapping layers of the unexplained unfold
Lee Holz
Pharaoh’s Son is a first rate historical mystery. When I saw the description of this book my first reaction was who needs another murder mystery set in ancient Egypt? God knows there are a lot of them available, but this is like asking who needs another first rate mystery period, and the answer is me and every lover of good mysteries, which is just what this book is – a terrific mystery with a satisfyingly complex plot. The setting is a major plus because the Egypt of Ramasses II is laid out in ...more
Kelsea (Miz. Reader)
(May Contain Spoilers Towards the End) This book was hard for me to get into at first. Maybe I was having a hard time concentrating, but I don't know, it just took me a while to get there. But when I did I really liked it.

On of the confusing things for me in the beginning was the names. So many of the names sound the same, but as I got further into the book it became easier to tell the characters apart.

You know in history class you always hear that Ramses II had tons and tons of kids, but it re
Tom
On another site, a reviewer wonders, "How many Egyptian mysteries do we need?" I would maintain that there can never be enough. I love reading anything about ancient Egypt... histories, novels... and I love mysteries. So, Pharaoh's Son satisfied me on both levels. I can't speak to historical accuracy, but as a novel and a mystery, it utilized the Egyptian backdrop wonderfully. The characters are well-developed, and their histories are revealed through excellent plot development.

The story itself
Rachel
Very good story. I enjoyed it from beginning to end.
James
May 25, 2012 James is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I received this through the Goodreads giveaways, but am quite keen to start it. It's meant to be based in the world of Ramesses the Great and as a fan of Valerio Massimo Manfredi, who also likes to shape ancient tales into his own, it looks to be a cracking read for people who have an interested in ancient history. I've got another book to read, but have started this one and so far so good. So I will try and get through this fairly soon and I'll update you on what I think of it then.
D.S. Taylor
Two brothers struggle to uncover a plot that threatens to bring death and destruction to all they love ... Set in the sands of Ancient Egypt, Pharaoh's Son is a tale of honor, loyalty, death and treachery. Diana Wilder knows how to use her prose to paint a picture that will stay with you long after you've closed the covers. Sit back, snuggle up with a mug of hot choc and enjoy!
Kerry Amburgy-Dickson
I enjoyed this book very much. While some liberties were taken, that's to be expected when dealing with a time period where there are so few solid details.
Barbara
2 books in one: death and intrigue with separate spiritual text interspersed among the main storyline.
Anna Jean
Could not get into the story. Each character had at least five names or titles.
Carissa
Gave up on this one. That doesn't happen often.
Therese
Oct 18, 2012 Therese marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
$0.0
Tamara Perez
Tamara Perez marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2015
Angela Johnson
Angela Johnson marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
Linda B
Linda B marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2015
Edith Plisko
Edith Plisko marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Zoe
Zoe marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Candace Koellner
Candace Koellner marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2015
Courtney Wendleton
Courtney Wendleton marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2014
Mohamed Salem
Mohamed Salem marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
Leslie
Leslie marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
Clynn
Clynn marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Claire Banschbach
Claire Banschbach marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Rose Tudor
Rose Tudor marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Anna Bennett
Anna Bennett marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
  • Strategos - Born in the Borderlands (Strategos, #1)
  • The Parthian (The Parthian Chronicles, #1)
  • Snap
  • Bone Wires
  • House of Corruption
  • Chained to the Barbarian (Palace Brides #2)
  • Jezebel's Ladder (Jezebel's Ladder, #1)
  • Brambleman
  • Seer of Egypt (The King's Man, #2)
  • The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters, Volume Two (Miss Temple, Doctor Svenson, and Cardinal Chang #1.2)
  • I Know Not (The Legacy of Fox Crow, #1)
  • Slab City Blues: The Ballad of Bad Jack
  • The Prophet: A Shepherd Thriller
  • The Devil's Concubine
  • Blood Zero Sky
  • Jade
  • Cleopatra
  • The Fortunes of Captain Blood
I grew up all around the United States courtesy of a very mobile family. Perhaps because of the Irish in me, I love to weave stories for my own enjoyment about the people I meet and the places I've seen during my travels. I graduated with a degree in ancient and medieval history and experience in journalism.

I started writing novels in graduate school, and have produced four set in New Kingdom Egy
More about Diana Wilder...

Memphis Cycle (4 books)
  • The City of Refuge
  • Mourningtide (Memphis Cycle, #2)
  • A Killing Among the Dead
The City of Refuge A Killing Among the Dead Mourningtide (Memphis Cycle, #2) The Safeguard: A Novel of Georgia in 1864 The Orphan's Tale (Book I)