Start by marking “Stop Kiss” as Want to Read:
Stop Kiss

Stop Kiss

3.88  ·  Rating Details ·  1,139 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
The story of Stop Kiss is deceptively simple: two young women in New York meet, talk about their boyfriends, feel a growing, unspoken attraction for each other, and finally kiss. And that one innocent kiss sets off a savage gay-bashing. But even as Stop Kiss confronts the reality of physical violence, Diana Son's imaginative, moving, and surprising comedy brings audiences ...more
Paperback, Acting Edition, 64 pages
Published June 1st 2000 by Dramatists Play Service, Inc. (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Stop Kiss, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Amanda
Dec 26, 2015 Amanda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Man, this was so sad. I guess it's about two straight girls who realize once they become friends that they're really more of lesbians and they fall in love. And then once they finally kiss each other, some a**hole in New York beats one of them into a coma.

As I was reading I was wondering if lesbians still get beat up, because I couldn't think of reading any news story recently. This play was written in 1999, so hopefully 17 years later it isn't happening as much.

Though, they did choose to have
Max
Jul 04, 2016 Max rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tight, suspenseful, heartbreaking. Back and forth in time with a climax that focuses not on the awful crime that takes place late one night in NY, but on the burgeoning relationship between two people. Neat, efficient, sweet, uplifting ending.
Lindsay
Well, this was readable. Diana Son's a screenwriter, and it shows--it kind of felt like Reality Bites but heavier. However, this is dated, now almost 20 years later. I found the lesbian plotline quite thin and entirely too cliche (view spoiler). And the whole St. Louis thing was poorly researched and/or given to S ...more
Keelin Rita
Sep 25, 2016 Keelin Rita rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plays, aty2016, lgbtqia, own
Definitely more of a 4.5! It's a play made of flash-forwards so if you aren't used to that style of playwriting or writing in general, you may find some scenes confusing. Overall I thought it did a great job at blending soft contemporary with harsh, brutal reality. Please read it!!
Samantha Smith
May 29, 2014 Samantha Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This play can be very confusing at first. It is written to where the second half of the story line is interwoven into the first half. Basically, the first scene is two girls meeting, and the next scene is one of them explaining to a detective how the other was beaten. But then in the third scene it's as if the second scene never happened. The rest of the play continues on like this, and because it is written this way I was forced to re-read at least half of it multiple times. As the story line u ...more
Monica
While it had a few scenes I really enjoyed, overall, this just didn't do too much for me.
Gordon
May 22, 2009 Gordon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm cheating, since I haven't read a word of the play. But, I did just watch the preview performance at the City Lights Theater in San Jose. If this play has such power to move the audience, even when the production still has rough edges and there's a live band playing LOUDLY outside on the street -- yes, it was the Left Coast Live music festival, and it was Friday night -- then it must be a very good play.

The plot is critical to this very well-plotted play, so I won't give it away. What's ironi
Sara
Jan 25, 2016 Sara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poc
I thought this was incredibly tender with moments of humor. In a short time the author made you care about the characters. Admitly it was hard to tell from just reading it (as opposed to performed), but the pacing felt right. It's also interesting to consider it in the context of the year it premiered (1998, the same year Matthew Shepard was killed). I also considered it in the context of an epidemic of trans* women of color murdered in D.C. in recent years). Finally, reading a play that came in ...more
Rachel
Apr 12, 2012 Rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 12th-grade
I selected this from a list of "modern tragedies" to read for class and finished it in less than an hour. It was solidly good, not incredible. The love story is sweet; the dialogue is very New York and sometimes quite funny. Maybe I'd feel differently if I saw this play instead of read it, but I thought it was pretty light and optimistic, despite the act of violence that is central to the plot. Hardly a "tragedy," but a worthy read.
Mylissa
Dec 29, 2015 Mylissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plays, 2015-books
After reading this, all I could think of were the possibilities of it when performed live, which hopefully I'll get the chance to see some point. Relatable, interesting characters struggling through their own lives and finding solace, friendship and love in one another which is ripped apart by a brutal attack. Characters feel fleshed out and have their own needs and wants, even the ones we hardly see. A play the American cannon absolutely needed.
Meagan
I have to put on a scene from this play for class and had to read it in an entire sitting. I was a little confused by the format of that play and how it went from one time frame to another, but once it did that a few times I finally figured out what was going on. It's a sweet short play that deals with an unexpect moment happening in the main characters life when she is thrown this person she has never met who changed her life for the better.
Apr 27, 2009 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A funny drama about love and what we're willing to risk to be with the one person we never expected to come along in the first place. Son expertly cuts the past with the present, as we watch a relationship develop between two women, only for that development to be overshadowed by coming violence and rage. Is there room in modern life for love and understanding? A valid question from a exciting dramatist.
Craig
Jan 21, 2014 Craig rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtqia
This could have been devastating, along the lines of LARAMIE PROJECT, but Son infuses the happenings with burgeoning hope and humanity for two women in the midst of finding themselves -- literally -- but also finding themselves in the midst of random acts of violence. The city offers opportunity, experience, danger...and Son's message of not wasting time, given that, is welcomed.
Victoria
Oct 27, 2014 Victoria rated it it was amazing
wow. i wish i could see this play live. very emotional but witty too. the scene format reminded me of The Last Five Years in which the two main characters start at opposite ends of the storyline and meet in the middle, except in this play, only the scenes start at different ends of the storyline-- the characters interact throughout it.
Quyen Hoang
May 27, 2013 Quyen Hoang rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good plot, great writing, and effective use of order of events. Except for the character's tendency to cut into each other's sentences, a pretty solid play. The chopped up sentences get on my nerves after a while.
Kirstin
Jun 14, 2008 Kirstin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this is a play that might take you less two hours to read. it is queer, touching, funny, natural, and BEAUTIFUL. it is a coming out play about two women in ny. (and an awful hate crime)<-- in parenthesis cuz i don't want to deter you.
Marianne Bistrek
Jun 02, 2011 Marianne Bistrek rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting commentary on relationships and lesbians/bisexuality and isolation. Also there's the gay bashing aspect, but that all depends on how you take the attack and the purpose of it. It was gripping and interesting and I enjoyed it.
Rhiannon
Oct 21, 2008 Rhiannon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this 5 second read was amazing! if you are looking for a book that takes you to those initial feelings you develop for someone you eventually fall in love with - this is the book. beware though, it is pretty sad as well.
Bandit
May 13, 2013 Bandit rated it really liked it
When a play is written well, it never seizes to amaze me how much can be conveyed with just the dialogue. This was one of those plays, very heartfelt, very moving, very easy to imagine as a production. Recommended.
Ljo
Sep 28, 2008 Ljo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This play moved me. Corny as that may be, it's true. I am not even sure why I am so drawn to this work. Some parts of the play still confuse me and I don't know how one would begin to stage it. I loved it. Hopefully someday I will be able to see it.
Kathleen
I LOVE this play. It's nonlinear, and the juxtaposition of pre-event and post-event scenes are AMAZING. Callie and Sara have a lot in them to show audiences about stepping out of your comfort zone and taking care of yourself and others. It's a beautiful short play.
Megan
Apr 18, 2014 Megan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A really great piece of writing. I'm kind of sad I haven't seen it performed before. Amazing story and work of theatre. It speaks volumes about the human character and about relationships. Please read!
Gretta
Nov 13, 2016 Gretta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The two women in this play feel very real, and their spearheaded feels real and their reactions to a new understanding of their sexuality. The scenes that are meant to be be touching are and the scenes that are meant to be tense and awkward also do the job impeccably.
Ryy
Jun 07, 2016 Ryy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plays
STOP KISS is moving. riveting.

The play tells what happen both before and after to women share an honest kiss. How a violent act of homophobia turns their life upside down. Stop kiss is an honest look at the danger many queer couples have to maneuver through in their daily life.
Goge (BARRONS) le Moning Maniac,
This was such an adorable and sad play. My second assigned play to read for Acting class, very nice choice Director T:)
Jessica
Jul 30, 2007 Jessica rated it it was ok
Shelves: plays
It's okay, but... well, aside from the story being sort of trite, this was written for the stage but reads like it should be made-for-TV. It's just not very well executed.
Sam
Apr 03, 2010 Sam rated it it was amazing
Stop Kiss is amazing. The interwoven nature of the story - past and present - help to unfold the events in a really beautiful, heartbreaking way.
Kaysy Ostrom
Dec 15, 2015 Kaysy Ostrom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: drama
I really enjoyed this. I thought it was a very strong script. I think it would just be better if I saw it live.
Lisa
Sep 24, 2015 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this even though reading it is a bit difficult since it's not chronological. I'd like to see it on stage sometime.
Jim Phetterplace
Dec 29, 2015 Jim Phetterplace rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have a small issue with the violent reaction to the kiss, but the way the relationship develops is lovely, the characters and dialogue quite believable.
  • Fuddy Meers
  • Three Plays: Gruesome Playground Injuries / Animals Out of Paper / Bengal Tiger at the Baghdad Zoo
  • In the Next Room, or the vibrator play