Start by marking “Stop Kiss” as Want to Read:
Stop Kiss

Stop Kiss

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  794 ratings  ·  31 reviews
The story of Stop Kiss is deceptively simple: two young women in New York meet, talk about their boyfriends, feel a growing, unspoken attraction for each other, and finally kiss. And that one innocent kiss sets off a savage gay-bashing. But even as Stop Kiss confronts the reality of physical violence, Diana Son's imaginative, moving, and surprising comedy brings audiences ...more
Paperback, Acting Edition, 64 pages
Published June 1st 2000 by Dramatists Play Service, Inc. (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Stop Kiss, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stop Kiss

Samantha Smith
This play can be very confusing at first. It is written to where the second half of the story line is interwoven into the first half. Basically, the first scene is two girls meeting, and the next scene is one of them explaining to a detective how the other was beaten. But then in the third scene it's as if the second scene never happened. The rest of the play continues on like this, and because it is written this way I was forced to re-read at least half of it multiple times. As the story line u ...more
Victoria
wow. i wish i could see this play live. very emotional but witty too. the scene format reminded me of The Last Five Years in which the two main characters start at opposite ends of the storyline and meet in the middle, except in this play, only the scenes start at different ends of the storyline-- the characters interact throughout it.
Gordon
I'm cheating, since I haven't read a word of the play. But, I did just watch the preview performance at the City Lights Theater in San Jose. If this play has such power to move the audience, even when the production still has rough edges and there's a live band playing LOUDLY outside on the street -- yes, it was the Left Coast Live music festival, and it was Friday night -- then it must be a very good play.

The plot is critical to this very well-plotted play, so I won't give it away. What's ironi
Megan
A really great piece of writing. I'm kind of sad I haven't seen it performed before. Amazing story and work of theatre. It speaks volumes about the human character and about relationships. Please read!
Sara
I thought this was incredibly tender with moments of humor. In a short time the author made you care about the characters. Admitly it was hard to tell from just reading it (as opposed to performed), but the pacing felt right. It's also interesting to consider it in the context of the year it premiered (1998, the same year Matthew Shepard was killed). I also considered it in the context of an epidemic of trans* women of color murdered in D.C. in recent years). Finally, reading a play that came in ...more
Meagan
I have to put on a scene from this play for class and had to read it in an entire sitting. I was a little confused by the format of that play and how it went from one time frame to another, but once it did that a few times I finally figured out what was going on. It's a sweet short play that deals with an unexpect moment happening in the main characters life when she is thrown this person she has never met who changed her life for the better.
Rachel
I selected this from a list of "modern tragedies" to read for class and finished it in less than an hour. It was solidly good, not incredible. The love story is sweet; the dialogue is very New York and sometimes quite funny. Maybe I'd feel differently if I saw this play instead of read it, but I thought it was pretty light and optimistic, despite the act of violence that is central to the plot. Hardly a "tragedy," but a worthy read.
A funny drama about love and what we're willing to risk to be with the one person we never expected to come along in the first place. Son expertly cuts the past with the present, as we watch a relationship develop between two women, only for that development to be overshadowed by coming violence and rage. Is there room in modern life for love and understanding? A valid question from a exciting dramatist.
Craig
This could have been devastating, along the lines of LARAMIE PROJECT, but Son infuses the happenings with burgeoning hope and humanity for two women in the midst of finding themselves -- literally -- but also finding themselves in the midst of random acts of violence. The city offers opportunity, experience, danger...and Son's message of not wasting time, given that, is welcomed.
Trianna
--How do you eat corn on the cob? Around the world or typewriter style?

--Typewriter.

--Me too.

--What kind of person eats around the world?

--I don't know.

--I mean what is that based on? You read left to right, right?

--I do.

--So you should eat your corn that way too.

--Do you think in Egypt they eat right to left?
(139)
Kathleen
I LOVE this play. It's nonlinear, and the juxtaposition of pre-event and post-event scenes are AMAZING. Callie and Sara have a lot in them to show audiences about stepping out of your comfort zone and taking care of yourself and others. It's a beautiful short play.
Ljo
This play moved me. Corny as that may be, it's true. I am not even sure why I am so drawn to this work. Some parts of the play still confuse me and I don't know how one would begin to stage it. I loved it. Hopefully someday I will be able to see it.
Kirstin
this is a play that might take you less two hours to read. it is queer, touching, funny, natural, and BEAUTIFUL. it is a coming out play about two women in ny. (and an awful hate crime)<-- in parenthesis cuz i don't want to deter you.
Marianne Bistrek
Interesting commentary on relationships and lesbians/bisexuality and isolation. Also there's the gay bashing aspect, but that all depends on how you take the attack and the purpose of it. It was gripping and interesting and I enjoyed it.
Rhiannon
this 5 second read was amazing! if you are looking for a book that takes you to those initial feelings you develop for someone you eventually fall in love with - this is the book. beware though, it is pretty sad as well.
Bandit
When a play is written well, it never seizes to amaze me how much can be conveyed with just the dialogue. This was one of those plays, very heartfelt, very moving, very easy to imagine as a production. Recommended.
Quyen Hoang
Good plot, great writing, and effective use of order of events. Except for the character's tendency to cut into each other's sentences, a pretty solid play. The chopped up sentences get on my nerves after a while.
Jessica
It's okay, but... well, aside from the story being sort of trite, this was written for the stage but reads like it should be made-for-TV. It's just not very well executed.
Steven
Excellent play - a non-titillating and non-threatening lesbian romance for heterosexuals told with interweaving timelines and personal and political themes.
Sam
Apr 03, 2010 Sam rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: play
Stop Kiss is amazing. The interwoven nature of the story - past and present - help to unfold the events in a really beautiful, heartbreaking way.
Goge (BARRONS) le Moning Maniac,
This was such an adorable and sad play. My second assigned play to read for Acting class, very nice choice Director T:)
Kaysy
I really enjoyed this. I thought it was a very strong script. I think it would just be better if I saw it live.
Valerie
A quick story, relatable, poignant and touching. Sadly still reflective of society today.
Karen
Love this play! I saw performances of it in Minneapolis and Omaha too.
Robert-anthony Artlet
One of the most beautiful and moving plays I have ever read <3
Elizabeth
Good play. I would love to either direct this or be in it one day.
Puja
i totally swooned through every page. easily read in one sitting.
Thom Dunn
Current GR review (1/10) is inept, misleading.
Kerrie
Important story to tell ... and told beautifully!
  • In the Next Room, or the vibrator play
  • Dog Sees God
  • Three Plays: Gruesome Playground Injuries / Animals Out of Paper / Bengal Tiger at the Baghdad Zoo
  • Machinal
  • Quills
  • The Heidi Chronicles
  • The Cripple of Inishmaan
  • Fat Pig
Satellites - Acting Edition R.A.W. ('Cause I'm a Woman) The Bomb: A Partial History