Start by marking “Don't Cross Your Eyes...They'll Get Stuck That Way!: And 75 Other Health Myths Debunked” as Want to Read:

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  51 ratings  ·  16 reviews
The ultimate myth-busting collection of quirky and curious facts about your body and health

In 2009, Drs. Aaron E. Carroll and Rachel C. Vreeman explored a wide range of myths and misconceptions about our bodies and health in the media sensation, Don’t Swallow Your Gum!, featured on The Dr. Oz Show, CNN, and in The New York Times, USA Today, and more.

Now, they’re delving in
Published July 5th 2011 by St. Martin's Griffin

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Cross Your Eyes...They'll Get Stuck That Way!

Dahlia Valentine
Aug 02, 2011 Dahlia Valentine rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: health nuts
For 20 years I've been telling my mom that you can't get a cold from sitting under the air conditioner. I almost had her 8% converted if it weren't for that darn SpongeBob SquarePants episode when SpongeBob caught a killer cold by, yup... sleeping with the air conditioner on.

I doubt I'll change her mind, but at the very least I can marinate in my smugness knowing that cold weather does not cause colds -- and in fact, it's actually just what we need during cold season. And eggs aren't the high ch
Ehm Olsen
I thought this book is really interesting. There are a lot of information that are worth knowing about. One of them is believing that Vit. C can cure and prevent you from getting colds. But this is not the case. I eat oranges everyday but how come I still get a cold? hhhmmmm, maybe this book has the answer............. it sure has! Another interesting idea that has already cleared my mind is believing that if you get sick too often, it means that you have a weak immune system. NOT TRUE!!!! Curio ...more
Chivon
pretty interesting, still not sure if I believe everything in the book.
Judy
A fun interesting read and good information.
Miz
Miz Lou is currently on page 49 of 289.
Gavin Yee
I found out about these two books from trying to keep up with John Green (a YouTuber/author) who talks about some of things in the book and how he is also making a YouTube channel with the author of books talking about a healthcare [that is going to explain a lot about how healthcare works].

Both books “Don't Swallow Your Gum!: Myths, Half-Truths, and Outright Lies About Your Body and Health” and “/Don't Cross Your Eyes...They'll Get Stuck That Way!: And 75 Other Health Myths Debunked” addresses
Scarecrow
This book would be more aptly titled" lies your mother told you". Don't go outside with wet hair, Vitamin C is good for a cold, caffeine stunts your growth, and hold your head backward during a nosebleed are just some of the many myths dispelled inside this very useful health research review. When such a large portion of the population has trouble sorting through information, books like this are important.
Rebecca Pipkin
Takes a scientific approach to debunk health myths, discussing peer reviewed scientific research conducted for each of the myths it discusses. Organized alphabetically, so you don't necessarily have to read it from front to back but could just have it as a reference. I love this sort of thing and enjoyed sharing snippets with friends and family, who would have thought that there was so much research about hand drying techniques in a bathroom or the best way to preserve your severed limb?
Whitney Garrett
I really enjoyed this. I like hearing about all the medical myths that are wrong, and I especially like how the authors incorporate studies that verify their answers. They even talk about whether each study done was a good study or not, and what that might mean for the myth.

One thing I've learned from these books, is we really shouldn't panic so much over everything. Our bodies are a lot tougher than we give them credit for.
Bill
This book addresses a wide variety of common medical myths and questions by thoroughly checking the current state of knowledge based on the available scientific literature. You can consider them the Myth Busters of medical myths. The book is actually a sequel to another one similar to it. Some of the myths they tackle are more interesting than others, and some are just common sense that didn't seem like they needed addressing (at least to me). Still, the book is thorough without being boring as ...more
Erikka
Gotta drop this one a star for the ultimate trivia book cop out--repeat questions. Seriously? Couldn't find enough medical myths for two books? Then make the book shorter before you make me reread/skim answers I already read. Otherwise, just as good as the last one with more humor, which was nice.
Shannon
Loved all of the myths debunked in this book by Dr. Carroll. My favorite was the one about hydrogen peroxide. No, you should NOT put it on your cut- it will kill the good cells around the wound. Thank you Dr. Carroll!
Alida
Well...., ten things that I thought were real ended up biting the dust. But I'm glad that now I now better.
Brittany Watne
Great information about common health-related myths. An easy but interesting read.
Richard Martin
In this case, "description" works fine.
Carrie
This is a great coffee table book.
Bri
Bri added it
Nov 18, 2014
Armando Cerda
Armando Cerda marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2014
Liliana
Liliana marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Allison
Allison marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Sarah Ruckhaus
Sarah Ruckhaus marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Sherri
Sherri marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Amanda Pleasant
Amanda Pleasant marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Cezary Karabela
Cezary Karabela marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Intelligent Thought: Science versus the Intelligent Design Movement
  • Suckers: How Alternative Medicine Makes Fools of Us All
  • Did Adam and Eve Have Navels?
  • The Borderlands of Science: Where Sense Meets Nonsense
  • An Encyclopedia of Claims, Frauds, and Hoaxes of the Occult and Supernatural
  • The Birth of the Mind: How a Tiny Number of Genes Creates The Complexities of Human Thought
  • The New Atheism: Taking a Stand for Science and Reason
  • Strange Brains and Genius: The Secret Lives Of Eccentric Scientists And Madmen
  • Dogwatching
  • The 10,000 Year Explosion: How Civilization Accelerated Human Evolution
  • Voodoo Science: The Road from Foolishness to Fraud
  • Autism's False Prophets: Bad Science, Risky Medicine, and the Search for a Cure
  • The Sun's Heartbeat: And Other Stories from the Life of the Star That Powers Our Planet
  • Wednesday Is Indigo Blue: Discovering the Brain of Synesthesia
  • The Prehistory of the Mind: The Cognitive Origins of Art, Religion and Science
  • Why Everyone (Else) Is a Hypocrite: Evolution and the Modular Mind
  • Primates and Philosophers: How Morality Evolved
  • One of Us: Conjoined Twins and the Future of Normal
Don't Swallow Your Gum!: Myths, Half-Truths, and Outright Lies About Your Body and Health Don't Put That in There!: And 69 Other Sex Myths Debunked Myths About Sex & Pregnancy