Start by marking “Don't Cross Your Eyes...They'll Get Stuck That Way!: And 75 Other Health Myths Debunked” as Want to Read:

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  56 ratings  ·  15 reviews
The ultimate myth-busting collection of quirky and curious facts about your body and health

In 2009, Drs. Aaron E. Carroll and Rachel C. Vreeman explored a wide range of myths and misconceptions about our bodies and health in the media sensation, Don’t Swallow Your Gum!, featured on The Dr. Oz Show, CNN, and in The New York Times, USA Today, and more.

Now, they’re delving in
Published July 5th 2011 by St. Martin's Griffin

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Cross Your Eyes...They'll Get Stuck That Way!

Ehm Olsen
I thought this book is really interesting. There are a lot of information that are worth knowing about. One of them is believing that Vit. C can cure and prevent you from getting colds. But this is not the case. I eat oranges everyday but how come I still get a cold? hhhmmmm, maybe this book has the answer............. it sure has! Another interesting idea that has already cleared my mind is believing that if you get sick too often, it means that you have a weak immune system. NOT TRUE!!!! Curio ...more
Chivon
pretty interesting, still not sure if I believe everything in the book.
Judy
A fun interesting read and good information.
Miz
Miz Lou is currently on page 49 of 289.
Gavin Yee
I found out about these two books from trying to keep up with John Green (a YouTuber/author) who talks about some of things in the book and how he is also making a YouTube channel with the author of books talking about a healthcare [that is going to explain a lot about how healthcare works].

Both books “Don't Swallow Your Gum!: Myths, Half-Truths, and Outright Lies About Your Body and Health” and “/Don't Cross Your Eyes...They'll Get Stuck That Way!: And 75 Other Health Myths Debunked” addresses
Scarecrow
This book would be more aptly titled" lies your mother told you". Don't go outside with wet hair, Vitamin C is good for a cold, caffeine stunts your growth, and hold your head backward during a nosebleed are just some of the many myths dispelled inside this very useful health research review. When such a large portion of the population has trouble sorting through information, books like this are important.
Rebecca Pipkin
Takes a scientific approach to debunk health myths, discussing peer reviewed scientific research conducted for each of the myths it discusses. Organized alphabetically, so you don't necessarily have to read it from front to back but could just have it as a reference. I love this sort of thing and enjoyed sharing snippets with friends and family, who would have thought that there was so much research about hand drying techniques in a bathroom or the best way to preserve your severed limb?
Whitney Garrett
I really enjoyed this. I like hearing about all the medical myths that are wrong, and I especially like how the authors incorporate studies that verify their answers. They even talk about whether each study done was a good study or not, and what that might mean for the myth.

One thing I've learned from these books, is we really shouldn't panic so much over everything. Our bodies are a lot tougher than we give them credit for.
Bill
This book addresses a wide variety of common medical myths and questions by thoroughly checking the current state of knowledge based on the available scientific literature. You can consider them the Myth Busters of medical myths. The book is actually a sequel to another one similar to it. Some of the myths they tackle are more interesting than others, and some are just common sense that didn't seem like they needed addressing (at least to me). Still, the book is thorough without being boring as ...more
Erikka
Gotta drop this one a star for the ultimate trivia book cop out--repeat questions. Seriously? Couldn't find enough medical myths for two books? Then make the book shorter before you make me reread/skim answers I already read. Otherwise, just as good as the last one with more humor, which was nice.
Shannon
Loved all of the myths debunked in this book by Dr. Carroll. My favorite was the one about hydrogen peroxide. No, you should NOT put it on your cut- it will kill the good cells around the wound. Thank you Dr. Carroll!
Alida
Well...., ten things that I thought were real ended up biting the dust. But I'm glad that now I now better.
Brittany Watne
Great information about common health-related myths. An easy but interesting read.
Richard Martin
In this case, "description" works fine.
Carrie
This is a great coffee table book.
Derek
Derek marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2015
Brian Lauer
Brian Lauer marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
Jessica Simpson
Jessica Simpson marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
Abby Esplana
Abby Esplana marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
Ellie Taylor
Ellie Taylor marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2015
Itsmee_tabalaba
Itsmee_tabalaba marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2015
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Samantha Austin
Samantha Austin marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
The Ninja Squirrel
The Ninja Squirrel marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2015
Rachel Thomas
Rachel Thomas marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
Meg
Meg marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
Ben
Ben marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
Marlena
Marlena marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Intelligent Thought: Science Versus the Intelligent Design Movement
  • Did Adam and Eve Have Navels?
  • An Encyclopedia of Claims, Frauds, and Hoaxes of the Occult and Supernatural
  • The Borderlands of Science: Where Sense Meets Nonsense
  • Suckers: How Alternative Medicine Makes Fools of Us All
  • Dogwatching
  • Voodoo Science: The Road from Foolishness to Fraud
  • The New Atheism: Taking a Stand for Science and Reason
  • Strange Brains and Genius: The Secret Lives Of Eccentric Scientists And Madmen
  • The Sun's Heartbeat: And Other Stories from the Life of the Star That Powers Our Planet
  • The Birth of the Mind: How a Tiny Number of Genes Creates The Complexities of Human Thought
  • Wednesday Is Indigo Blue: Discovering the Brain of Synesthesia
  • The Prehistory of the Mind: The Cognitive Origins of Art, Religion and Science
  • Autism's False Prophets: Bad Science, Risky Medicine, and the Search for a Cure
  • The 10,000 Year Explosion: How Civilization Accelerated Human Evolution
  • Why Everyone (Else) Is a Hypocrite: Evolution and the Modular Mind
  • Monkey Girl: Evolution, Education, Religion, and the Battle for America's Soul
  • How to Save an Hour Every Day
Don't Swallow Your Gum!: Myths, Half-Truths, and Outright Lies About Your Body and Health Don't Put That in There!: And 69 Other Sex Myths Debunked Myths About Sex & Pregnancy