Batman Unauthorized: Vigilantes, Jokers, and Heroes in Gotham City

Batman Unauthorized: Vigilantes, Jokers, and Heroes in Gotham City (Smart Pop)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  79 ratings  ·  12 reviews

Batman Unauthorized explores Batman’s motivations and actions, as well as those of his foes. Batman is a creature of the night, more about vengeance than justice, more plagued by doubts than full of self-assurance, and more darkness than light. He has no superpowers, just skill, drive and a really well-made suit.

One of the most recognized superheroes ever created, Batman h...more
Published February 9th 2008 by Smart Pop

Jake
Read this to prep myself for "The Dark Knight." Decent collection of essays on the Batman mythos, definitely some insight into things I did not know. Worth a read if your a Batman fan.
Quinn Rollins
For a while now, I've been a fan of the Smart Pop imprint of Benbella Books. They take an idea from pop culture--literature, movies or television, and get authors to write essays on that topic. I've enjoyed the Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Superman, King Kong, and other Smart Pop Books, but somehow I missed their 2008 take on Batman until now.

Batman Unauthorized: Vigilantes, Jokers, and Heroes in Gotham City came out just before The Dark Knight. Edited by longtime Batman comics writer Dennis O'Neil...more
Bruce
I've always been a Batfan, and so this book of lit-crit essays on the Caped Crusader's exploits fairly jumped off the shelf at me. It's edited by Denny O'Neil, the writer who brought the character out of the camp of the mid-60's to adult relevance (O'Neil authored the incredibly twisted Joker-fish story and created terrorist-villains Ra's and Talia al Ghul). A few of the essays presented are mildly interesting (the editor's introduction, which explains the economic realities of the comics publis...more
Tezzle
Apr 15, 2009 Tezzle rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Batman fans
Recommended to Tezzle by: My local library
Anyone well versed in the Batman mythos will find this book informative and fun. It tackles a lot of issues and aspects of Batman from within the continuity to the people making the comics at different angles and perspectives (each chapter is written by a different person), so it really has no set agenda other than to entertain and make you think about the Dark Knight in ways you may not have before.

It also gave me some closure, personally. As much as I loved Kill Bill, David Caradine's little r...more
Sally
Jul 06, 2010 Sally rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Anyone who thinks they know anything about Batman.
VERY interesting study on all things Batman. My favorite superhero has always been Batman and I had a pretty general knowledge of the character, his alter-ego, beginnings, and history - but these essays were very enlightening, informative, and entertaining. I learned things about the Bat I didn't know, and gained some new perspectives in to his creation and mythos.

I also found it very interesting how Batman is always "the Knight we deserve," keeping up with the politics and events of the times....more
NeverDust
Although it's a bit dated (most of the essays write in anticipation of the Dark Knight release) the writers bring up so many valid points and talk about comic books like they should be spoken of - like literature. All of the essays are well thought out, and many are obviously extensively researched. Each author brings a different perspective and the varied opinions (sometimes extreme, from one essay to the next) are what made it so interesting. I feel like I learned so much more about my favorit...more
Bernie Gourley
This is a collection of essays by various authors. The quality varies considerably. Some are humorous, and others are more serious. The ones that were particularly interesting were on the cost of being Batman and one considering whether Batman has a mental disorder. A few of them didn't really say much of anything interesting (e.g. one considering the effect of the sex talk coming from the various Alfreds over the years.) And a few were utterly unmemorable.
Daniel
Jan 12, 2009 Daniel rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
I'm biased as I wrote one of the essays in the book ("The Batman We Deserve" treating the eight films prior to "The Dark Knight" as a single genre), but if you're a Batman fan it really is a fascinating collection. Although some of the essays are humorous, they all take Batman -- the character, the comic books, the graphic novels, the movies, etc. -- quite seriously.
Eric
A book of essays analyzing the many faceted nature of Batman/Bruce Wayne. Each authors takes a turn at trying to explain why he is the way he is and why the American readers take to him the way we do.
Leave My
Wish the articles were more critical of the Batman mythology overall but there were a couple gems in this collection.
Samra
excellent detailed essays and articles on Batman and his universe
Jason M Waltz
Apr 14, 2013 Jason M Waltz is currently reading it
Enjoying this quite a bit.
Carilu
Carilu marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2014
Ted
Ted marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2014
M Elsehry
M Elsehry marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2014
Christina Palmer
Christina Palmer marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2014
Jean
Jean marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2014
Iris
Iris marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2014
Jason Stewart
Jason Stewart marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2014
Valerie
Valerie marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2014
Arnis
Arnis marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2014
Kyle Chidester
Kyle Chidester marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2014
Inez
Inez marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2013
Grok Testuser
Grok Testuser is currently reading it
Dec 10, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Dennis O'Neil is a comic book writer and editor best known for his work on Batman, Green Arrow/Green Lantern, and The Question.

He also wrote a novel with Jim Berry under the pen name "Jim Dennis".
More about Dennis O'Neil...
Batman: Knightfall Batman: Venom The Green Lantern/Green Arrow Collection, Vol. 1 Batman: Tales of the Demon The DC Comics Guide to Writing Comics

“Every artist who drew Batman after creator Bob Kane was a better artist than Kane [...].” 1 likes