Start by marking “Brighter Than the Sun (The Lyndon Sisters, #2)” as Want to Read:
Brighter Than the Sun (The Lyndon Sisters, #2)

Brighter Than the Sun (The Lyndon Sisters #2)

3.89  ·  Rating Details ·  8,212 Ratings  ·  322 Reviews
When Charles Wycombe, the dashing and incorrigible Earl of Billington, toppled out of a tree and landed at Ellie Lyndon‘s feet, neither suspected that such an inauspicious meeting would lead to marriage. But Charles must find a bride before his thirtieth birthday or he’ll lose his fortune. And Ellie needs a husband or her father’s odious fiancée will choose one for her. An ...more
Published July 27th 2004 by Avon (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Brighter Than the Sun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brighter Than the Sun

Can You Keep a Secret? by Sophie KinsellaBet Me by Jennifer CrusieWallbanger by Alice ClaytonMatch Me If You Can by Susan Elizabeth PhillipsNatural Born Charmer by Susan Elizabeth Phillips
Humorous Romance Books
135th out of 2,415 books — 5,461 voters
Pride and Prejudice by Jane AustenOutlander by Diana GabaldonDevil in Winter by Lisa KleypasJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëGone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Favorite Historical Romance Novels
146th out of 2,578 books — 4,908 voters

More lists with this book...

[Aengell]
Jan 26, 2015 [Aengell] rated it really liked it
What a delightful and funny book!

Julia Quinn can really put off funny Romances, and before I find my way to the Bridgertons, I want to be slowly introduced to this master of HR.

Her characters are always making me grin, giggle and laugh in a way that pulls me even more into the story. The story in this case is your typical marriage-of-convenience-story, and I'm a goner for that trope. I don't care whether that makes me biased or not.
The characters felt real and even the secondary characters we
♥ Melody
Another Julia Quinn book that annoyed me to no end rather than delight me. Are rambling characters supposed to be cute?
 photo anigif_enhanced-buzz-13931-1377121955-30_zps4c6cb48b.gif

1. Every single conversation the hero and heroine have consists of just bickering. Nothing else. It’s always gainsaying the other, getting the last word in, correcting the other, arguing over nothing just to come off witty and smart (looking at you Ellie dear). Good grief. And it’s not even the good kind of heated verbal sparring adults have. No it’s a pissing contest you woul
Linds
Do you know the feeling you get when your good married friends are bickering in front of you? It's vaguely uncomfortable, there's no where for you to go, and you wish they would knock it off so everyone can get back to their lives? That's Brighter Than the Sun.

That really is the main reason for me not enjoying this book much. The characters are cute enough, and it has a decent little plot. But listening the the h/h argue incessently for 275+ pages is tiring.

Ellie and Charles meet when Charles fa
Nisha
The second time around, it wasn't that great, but it's still worth a read.

December 2, 2009 - 5 stars

Safe to say, I loved this book. I wasn't even going in thinking I would like it, considering I have this bad habit of judging books by their cover. Plus, it wasn't part of the big family, like the Bridgertons.

Ok, I admit, the dialogue was fun, but the not really the height of wit, since Ellie tends to say 'I beg your pardon' everytime she didn't have a retort. Still, I loved the H/H interaction.
Courtnie
Feb 23, 2016 Courtnie rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed, romance, 2015
On the whole, there was nothing really wrong with this book. It's old school Julia Quinn, with fast, witty dialogue and real sweetheart moments.
(view spoiler)
Barbara
Oct 13, 2009 Barbara rated it did not like it
1 Star...I didn't like it.

I've been a member of this fine site for quite a while now and I've noticed a "1 Star" is (for some reason) very rarely handed out. I for one have no problem handing down a 1 if I didn't like the book. That's what these ratings scales are for, and that's why we're members here in the first place...to tell our "true" opinions on the books we read.

So with that said...

"Brighter Than the Sun" was as cornballish as they come. The whole book went pretty much like this "Yes y
Lelyana
Apr 12, 2011 Lelyana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Ketemu by accident karena Charles Wycombe jatuh dari pohon pas di atas kaki kiri Eleanor "ellie" Lyndon ( ngapain sih si Chareles kurang kerjaan mabok2 naik pohon?)
Dialog2 nya kocak, dan mereka ga pernah gak berdebat, hari itu juga Charles melamar Ellie krn merasa dia paling pantas jd istri nya, krn Ellie cerdas....
Cerita dua org yg putus asa, masalah nya uang, Ellie perlu menikahi Charles agar bisa mencairkan uangnya yg di pasar saham dan agar keluar dari rmh menghundari calon ibu tiri nya yg
Sara ♥
(Sequel to Everything and the Moon)

October 22-23, 2010

April 8-9, 2010

Cute, cute book... Charles and Ellie are such a cute couple! ;)

July 1, 2007

It was SO CUTE! The bickering between the hero and heroine! HAHAHAH! I was DYING laughing the WHOLE BOOK! All this bad stuff keeps happening to them, and it's just SO FUNNY! I loved it! YAY for Julia Quinn!

And this book was DIFFERENT than others. I was SHOCKED when Charles Wycombe (Earl of Billington) proposed marriage to Eleanor (Ellie) at the end of th
Josie
I was looking for something light and frothy, and this started out promisingly enough. The hero falls out of a tree, right at the heroine's feet, and they immediately begin bantering. So far so good! In fact, the following quote actually made me laugh out loud (and as I was in the staffroom at the time, that was rather awkward as my colleagues then insisted I read out the bit that had made me laugh).

"Lord Billington, I must insist that you use your cane."

"On you?" He sounded intrigued by the not
Leah
This book was much better than the first one of the series. I didn't absolutely love it, but it was funnier and much more interesting. Ellie and Charles didn't make me frequently consider suicide, so I consider that a good sign.
Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog)
3.5 Stars

Husbands don't grow on trees...but apparently they fall from them, especially when roaringingly drunk. This is something that Miss Ellie Lyndon finds out the hard way when Charles Wycombe, Earl of Billington, falls from an oak tree and straight on her toes, then not long after proceeds to make an offer of marriage. Although completely foxed Charles thinks the very prickly but lovely Miss Lyndon will make a perfect wife, especially as he only has a few weeks to find one before he loses h
Zoe
I read the first 30 pages and stopped. I can't take the story seriously. Maybe I am just not in the mood for a fluffy read.
Amanda
Feb 22, 2015 Amanda rated it really liked it
Brighter Than the Sun is the first book of JQ's earlier works where the brilliance of her later works shines through. And it was awesome. Suddenly, reading in 15 or 30 minutes snippets just wasn't enough.

One, Charles is a character from a previous book, and that always earns extra points with me. I adore characters that carry through in other books/series and who get their own stories. Plus, reformed rakes do hold a special place in my heart, even when their rake-ish-ness is talked about more th
Rachel Regina
Overall rating: 5 "Bright than the Sun" stars!

Triggers:
Cheating: (view spoiler)
Love triangle: (view spoiler)
Sex with om/ow: (view spoiler)
Intimate pasts: (view spoiler)
Caron Pescatore
Apr 15, 2015 Caron Pescatore rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the second time I'm reading this JQ novel. I first read it many years ago--more than ten--and remember loving it then, so when I discovered that my library had an e-copy of the book, I welcomed the opportunity to read it again. As you might expect of a Julia Quinn novel, the book is par excellence; it's well written with an interesting storyline, and well developed characters. Ellie and Charles make for an adorable couple! Ellie is a redhead and is quite the stereotype for that hair colo ...more
Lita Bouquard
Nov 08, 2013 Lita Bouquard rated it really liked it

I was literally bent over laughing at the slapstick comedy in this romance. Eleanor is clobbered by a drunken man who falls out of a tree and lands on top of her. As the daughter of a vicar she is a sensible, friendly, spinster. However this event (which involves a lot of physical damage to Charles) leads to a marriage proposal. This book has romance, humor and a mystery as Ellie makes an intellectual choice to leave her home when her father's witchy fiance makes the situation unbearable. I gues
Bronwyn Rykiert
Victoria Lyndon, our heroine from Everything and the Moon, has a younger sister Eleanor, who is equally independent and feisty. Ellie is walking in the countryside near her home one day when a very handsome and very drunk man literally falls into her lap from a tree.

Charles Wycombe, the rakish Earl of Billington, must marry before his upcoming thirtieth birthday or lose his inheritance and he decides that Ellie will fit the bill. No, he has no intention to actually love her nor any other woman.
Brandi Sellers
Aug 09, 2010 Brandi Sellers rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
Predictable. That about sums this up.

I always go into romance novels expecting the familiar, but this book was predictable down to the word. In fact, I suspect that I've read a variation of this book at least three times.

But it wasn't bad. I liked the characters. Enjoyed them, really. Their first encounter is charming and they have great chemistry. Though I found their lovey-dovey moment at the end to be this side of cheesy.

I think Ms. Quinn could have done better with this story. It has the f
kris
Oct 10, 2014 kris rated it did not like it
Charles and Ellie end up married because of Plot Contrivances. Except she doesn't want to sleep with a Horrible Dirty Rake, and all he wants to do is sleep with his Stunning Hot Wife.

Oh, also there's yelling, sabotage, kidnap, yelling, murder, and more yelling.

1. SO MUCH GODDAMNED YELLING. Literally 80% of this book is Ellie and Charles YELLING AT ONE ANOTHER. And about the same stupid shit: Ellie is incompetent. Charles wants sex. It's the same conversation AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN.

For exam
Snigdha Prakash
Brighter Than The Sun
Julia Quinn has been one of the most amazing historical romance authors I have ever come across and she remains to be so yet again in this book as well.
This book has been one journey which is full of drama, thrill, a little suspense, lots of love and the best part?
You're going to love the banter between Charles and Ellie. Absolutely love it.
It'll make you laugh.
It'll make you smile in a cheesy manner.
It'll make you adore them.
The plot is a nice one and even though you can gu
Ririn
Oct 21, 2011 Ririn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-have-the-copy
Another Historical-Romance Fiction by Julia Quinn.

Sepertinya saya memang benar-benar menyukai selera humor Julia Quinn, tidak terkecuali selera humornya di buku ini. Buku yang ringan, lucu, dan cukup menghibur ini bercerita tentang pernikahan yang didasarkan pada sebuah kesepakatan.

Charles Wycombe, Earl of Billington,terancam akan kehilangan warisannya kalau ia tidak juga menikah saat ia berusia 30 tahun. Itu artinya ia hanya punya waktu 2 minggu untuk menemukan mempelainya!

Eleanor Lyndon, seora
Natha
Kelar baca dalam sehari. *dance*
Oke, cukup senang-senangnya, harus darimana kumulai revie ini ya? *elus dagu*

Eleanor Lyndon (Ellie) adalah seorang perempuan yang mandiri, cerdas dan cenderung bersikap diluar dari kebiasaan seorang perempuan pada umumnya. Namun ayahnya yang berniat untuk menikah lagi dengan seorang wanita yang bertekad membuat hidup Ellie sengsara. Wanita itu berniat memperbantukan Ellie di rumah yang ia tinggali bersama ayahnya selama ini. Ia harus segera mencari tempat tinggal
sari
May 01, 2011 sari rated it really liked it
Awal pertemuan antara Charles dan Ellie menurutku terlalu dibuat-buat dan konyol. Apakah hal itu boleh dibilang romantis. Jatuh dari Pohon?!! emang ngapain tu "Sang Earl" tiba-tiba manjat pohon aku masih tak habis pikira. Aku menduga mungkin alasannya karena sifat sang Earl sendiri yg energik dan tidak terlalu konvensional. Tetapi kenapa harus jatuh tepat di bawah kaki Ellie, apakah mungkin sang Earl terkejut meilhat Ellie. Dan juga kenapa Ellie tidak menyadari kehadiran Charles di pohon jauh se ...more
Roanne Araneta
Oct 14, 2013 Roanne Araneta rated it liked it
“Lord Billington, I must insist that you use your cane.”

“On you?” He sounded intrigued by the notion.
Hilarious.

“They say rakes make the best husbands.” I’m actually starting to believe this.

Well I’ll be damned! I read this fully expecting not to like it but alas, things did not turn out as I expected. You see, I found this quite entertaining. I liked the characters a lot too.

I’ve always said in the first book that I liked Ellie better and I’m glad to say that my feelings have not changed. She’
Cherie
Oct 16, 2012 Cherie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
The main reason I love this book is because of Charles. He is a positively hilarious character, always finding humor. He is so charming, which made him the successful rake of reputation, that it feels unreal that Ellie is so reluctant to him. She comes off as petulant, not someone to admire. Once she finally realizes she is married to a wonderful man she becomes fiercely loyal but it takes her a bit long to get there for someone who values their intelligence as she does.
I don’t really like Ellie
Karen
Jun 11, 2009 Karen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I read "Everything and the Moon", the first book in this series, a couple of weeks ago. I was reluctant to read "Brighter Than the Sun" because I found the previous book to be contrived and I didn't care for the H/H. I'm so glad I finally got around to reading this delightful book! I laughed from beginning to end. I loved Ellie and Charles and they made a wonderful couple. I loved watching them fall in love.

I have read nearly every one of Julia Quinn's books and this ranks right at the top as o
Kimberly
Sep 01, 2016 Kimberly rated it really liked it
This was a great marriage of convenience story. Charles Wycombe, an Earl of lists for everything falls out of a tree and meets Elenor Lyndon, the Parish's wife. Charles asks Eleanor to marry him so he can get his inheritance agreeing to allow her to pursue her own life. There little business deal becomes confusing when Charles places a condition that they must make their marriage "official" and have an heir. OF course, they deny their feelings until their hotter than the sun!! Sparks fly and Ele ...more
fleurette
May 13, 2015 fleurette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have always liked books by Julia Quinn. They are quick and funny read. Brighter Than the Sun is not an exception. It took me only one day to finish it.

The best part in all Julia Quinn historicals are the characters. Ellie and Charles are the couple the reader instantly fell in love with. I absolutely adored all the witty dialogues and comments. Interesting secondary characters are also a great advantage of the book. All the characters are different and well-developed.

There is also a suspense
Tarra
Jul 13, 2015 Tarra rated it really liked it
They bickered, got battered and bruised, and it was still a "cute" book.

Tacked on ending (seems to be the way in a lot of JQ books) that was seen coming a mile away.
Kimberle
May 14, 2015 Kimberle rated it liked it
yay! another funny romance and no rapey or abusive scenes. oh, i did so miss historical romance. so glad this author was recommended to me.
  • Where's My Hero?  (The Gamblers, #3; Brotherhood - MacAllister's, #4.5; Splendid, #3.5)
  • A Lady's Guide to Improper Behavior (Adventurers’ Club #2)
  • A Notorious Love (Swanlea Spinsters, #2)
  • A Wild Pursuit (Duchess Quartet, #3)
  • The Perfect Rake (The Merridew Sisters, #1)
  • It Takes a Hero (Danvers, #4)
  • The Bride Thief
  • Bridal Favors (Bridal Stories, #2)
  • One Night Of Scandal (Fairleigh Sisters, #2)
#1 New York Times bestselling author Julia Quinn loves to dispel the myth that smart women don't read (or write) romance, and in 2001 she did so in grand style, competing on the the game show The Weakest Link and walking away with the $79,000 jackpot. She displayed a decided lack of knowledge about baseball, country music, and plush toys, but she is proud to say that she aced all things British an ...more
More about Julia Quinn...

The Lyndon Sisters (2 books)
  • Everything and the Moon (The Lyndon Sisters, #1)

“He smacked the heel of his hand against his forhead, as if that could knock the mental picture out of his head. Hell, he though irritably, he didn't want to knock the image just out of his head. He wanted to send it clear across the room and out the window.” 12 likes
“Am I not allowed to speak in hyperbole?"

"Only," he said, a bit too smoothly, "if you are talking about me."

Ellie's face slid into a smirk. "Oh, Charles," she exclaimed, "I feel as if we have known each other for a million years." Her tone grew more ironic. "I am that weary of your company.”
7 likes