Start by marking “One Sunday Morning” as Want to Read:
One Sunday Morning

One Sunday Morning

3.05 of 5 stars 3.05  ·  rating details  ·  369 ratings  ·  69 reviews
Amy Ephron navigates the social contradictions of New York society, a world in which freedom was celebrated even while Prohibition and the strictest social conventions were in force. She brings to life this time and place through the stories of five socialites whose lives are irrevocably changed because of gossip, indiscretion, secrets, and betrayal.

Four women at a bridge
Published April 26th 2005 by William Morrow (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about One Sunday Morning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Sunday Morning

Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo
‘“She never did understand what it meant to be proper” said Betsy Owen as she turned away from the window in a sweeping motion as though her skirt alone propelled her across the floor. And, there it was, in that one understated sentence, an indictment of all that Lizzie Carswell had ever hoped to be and an acknowledgement that there was a story behind the seemingly innocent act they had all witnessed.’

Perhaps if the story centered on answering numerous questions, rather than NYC gossip of four y
Sewlyfluff
A friend recommended 'A Cup of Tea' to me - and once I read it I wanted to read more by Ephton. While her books can be hard to find (particularly in the library) I'm glad I picked this one up. It is a timeless period piece that brings you into the world of the 1920's and explores how gossip and broken promises can lead you astray.

I love the way Ephron writes and dives into the characters minds and thoughts and perfectly captures the time period and allows you to feel as if you are there.
Jaime
I’m not sure what the point of this was, other than to serve as a snapshot of 1920s New York society. It wasn’t *bad*, there just wasn’t a lot to it. It felt more like a short story than a novel, and the line in the synopsis, "with heartbreaking consequences for all" ends up looking a little overwrought. It didn’t seem like anyone’s heart was particularly broken at the end of the story. I’d say that this author just isn’t my cup of tea.
Sherrey
This is what I call a "goodnight" book -- the one I keep on my bedside table to read just before falling asleep. Or let's say something to put me to sleep, a little bit of fluff. Nothing substantial here. A very short book with a somewhat shallow story line. But I like the time period, I like the mix of characters, and as I said, it's good to fall asleep with.
Megan
After reading A Cup of Tea by Amy Ephron, I was really looking forward to reading this book. However, I was rudely disappointed. The characters, the story... nothing was really working for me with this book.
Debbie Robson
Amy Ephron has done it again! Just as in "A Cup of Tea" - set during World War I - she has written a short but exquisitely crafted novel. This time the setting is the elusive Twenties. Characters flit in and out. They have the time and money to stay out half the night at nightclubs. Most of them don’t work. There is the inconvenience of Prohibition, there is gossip but more than anything else there is Paris, beckoning across the ocean.

In "One Sunday Morning" gossip sets everything in motion. Wh
Phyllis Sommers
A small novel, playing out in the 1920s and depicted, somewhat, in vignettes revolving around four women of varying backgrounds, women whose lives intersect in myriad ways. Betsy Owen, Mary Nell, Iris Ogleby and Lucy Collins regularly play bridge together. 'One Sunday morning,' during one of their games, Betsy happens to look out the front window of her home, to notice Lizzie Carswell leaving the Gramercy Park Hotel with Billy Holmes, fiancée of their good friend, Clara Hart. A potential scandal ...more
Jenn
Despite the criticism of the brevity of this book, I really enjoyed it. As someone who loves reading about this era in history (1920s America and Europe), it's rare to find a book that is actually written in similar prose as novels that were published back then. (I had to remind myself several times that One Sunday Morning was actually written only 8 years ago.) Ephron pays beautiful homage to Wharton, Fitzgerald, even Hemingway, with her lovely writing.
Jessica
Oct 10, 2008 Jessica rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jessica by: saw it at the library
One Sunday Morning is a delightful novel. Ephron's writing is is magical. She moves the story along, without rushing. Ephron's prose keeps a rythmic balance and flow throughout. I kept turning the pages, devouring the characters and setting along the way. The last paragraph of the book was a bit dissapointing, considering how tight the rest of it was. It threw in an unexpected turn, that was unnecessary and brought down the rest of the book.

All in all, I loved the book. I tried to stretch One S
Addison Public Library
Four women at a Sunday morning bridge party see an acquaintance emerging from the Gramercy Park hotel on the arm of a gentleman they all know named Billy Holmes. It may be the Jazz Age where anything goes but, although they do not know the whole story, at least one of them begins spreading rumors with tragic results.

KD

Check out this book today!

Licha
Just ok. Not normally what I go for, but I thought it would be fun to read something where a small town is affected by gossip. Not much charcter development. Moral of the story: Not everything is what it seems so think twice about spreading rumors.
1950s PinUp
So, completely disappointed. I kept reading it thinking it would get a whole lot better and it never did. I love the the 1920s era and I was expecting to sit down and read an exciting book - this wasn't it. Don't waste your time.
Amanda
I love Amy Ephron's ability to weave a story in only a few hundred pages. I have a feeling this, like A Cup of Tea, will be one that I turn to often and find myself discovering something new each time.
Jill Elizabeth
I thought it was a rather lovely little snapshot of a story... it didn't so much end as stop, but that didn't feel wrong somehow. I'm definitely looking this author up again.
Denise
Despite rave reviews, I was very lukewarm on this book. Here's one of the paragraphs in the description: "One Sunday Morning: A Novel is a drama of the strictures of polite society tragically coming to conflict with the liberated spirit of the Jazz Age. With all the romance of Gatsby's New York and the seduction of Josephine Baker's Paris, Ephron's tale is compelling all the way to its surprising and satisfying ending."

I was excited about the book, sounded great, love the time period (Prohibitio
Faye
This was a perfect little read. This book brings new meaning to the phrase "to come full circle" and I loved the ending. I think it reflects the interesting way that writers often observe the world, and I found myself oddly similar to the character of Mary Nell. She manages to observe the little details and nuances in the lives of others but misses the glaringly obvious in her own life. She misses opprotunities because she is a classic overthinker. While shocked in the end, she is not devistated ...more
Jennifer Tuleja
a nice short adventure among women with a great little moral at the end that applies to most of us.
Toni
A nice enough book that didn't manage to leave much of an impression either way. There were characters, but I didn't really connect with any of them. There were two distinct big city settings, but I was so "meh" about the story that it didn't really entertain me. When I first started reading the book I kept having to read pages again. I blamed myself for a while, but I think it may actually be the book's fault. There just seemed to be more idea here than story. Amy Ephron is a very good writer t ...more
Adriene
A perfect little book to read for yourself and share with your girlfriends. A quick paced novella.
Linda
Can't say much because there wasn't much to say.
Mary Kinietz
Four women see a friend leaving a hotel iwht a man who is someone else's fiance - and she is still wearing her dancing slippers from the night before.
Linda
Entertaining short read.
Jules
This is my second book by Amy Ephron. It read quickly and very enjoyably. Her novels feel similar to Edith Wharton as they deal with similar subjects. Though this book was very enjoyable it is not on par with any of Edith Wharton's novels. At its heart the novel deals with social morals of a particular period through the women characters. My interest was definitely held through the breezy read, but there is a lack of substance felt once the book is completed.
Kalendra Dee
Four women at a Sunday morning bridge party see an acquaintance emerging from the Gramercy Park hotel on the arm of a gentleman they all know named Billy Holmes. It may be the Jazz Age where anything goes, but Although they do not know the whole story, at least one of them begins spreading rumors with tragic results.
Bronwyn
I enjoyed this book.
It wasn't the best book I've ever read, but it was a quick, entertaining book.
I think that she captured the social nuances of the early 20th century quite well.
Gina
While it was almost enjoyable to read this, the writing style wasn't something I can really get behind. The characters are slightly one-dimensional, falling into the stereotypes of a different era altogether or being completely based off of a single stereotype and that was all there was to their personality.

The plot was murky at best and I really didn't feel this was as romantic or as adventurous as one reviewer put it.
Histteach24
Quick cute read but nothing original. Interesting pieces of 1920's history throughout but a bit uppity. Typical book about how gossiping women can create an entirely untrue story that bits them in the butt later. And may I add these four women are gossipy because they themselves are completely miserable in their life situation. Did enjoy the theme-is what we see really the truth?
Ginny
Sep 25, 2008 Ginny rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: liked Amy Ephron's other novelettes
Four women at a bridge party see a young woman emerge from the ritzy hotel across the avenue, leaving with a man who is not her husband. Each draws their own conclusions. As Mary continues to observe the characters, she appears to have all of the answers. But at the end of the book, she must rewrite the story because she got it all wrong. Entertaining, quick read.
Leslie
Mar 27, 2009 Leslie rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Leslie by: no one -- had read her sister's (Nora) book (neck).
Shelves: read-in-2009
This was an ok story: a fairly quick & light read and a page-turner, just because I wanted to find out what happened with Lizzie & Billy. But the ending really didn't answer that. I had a lot of questions at the end and found that frustrating. but it was a nice break from the other serious books I've been reading.
Joanne Fowler
Jan 04, 2008 Joanne Fowler rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kristin
I read this book on the plane ride to Florida. Yes, it is a short book, but riveting. I couldn't put it down. It takes place in NYC in the 20's.

I learned that things aren't always what they seem, and women can be extremely cruel and judgemental. Also a disappointment doesn't have to be the end of the world.
What Billy gay??? 2 13 Jun 07, 2014 08:57AM
  • Beachcombing at Miramar: The Quest for an Authentic Life
  • Sorcerers & Secretaries (Sorcerers & Secretaries, #1)
  • Tina's Mouth: An Existential Comic Diary
  • Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane, Vol. 1
  • Memoirs of a Bookbat
  • Will & Whit
  • The Jane Austen Rules: A Classic Guide to Modern Love
  • Henry Tilney's Diary (Jane Austen Heroes, #6)
  • Amelia Earhart: This Broad Ocean
  • Personal Demons (Hopeless, Maine, #1)
  • Journal infime (Lou!, Tome 1)
  • Papua New Guinea (Notes from a Spinning Planet, #2)
  • Roller Girl
  • First Kiss (Then Tell): A Collection of True Lip-Locked Moments
  • 33 Minutes
  • Janes in Love (Janes, #2)
  • Curses! Foiled Again (Foiled, #2)
  • The Pearl Diver
A Cup of Tea: A Novel of 1917 White Rose:  Una Rosa Blanca Loose Diamonds Bruised Fruit Biodegradable Soap