Start by marking “The Psychopathology of Everyday Life” as Want to Read:
The Psychopathology of Everyday Life

The Psychopathology of Everyday Life (The Standard Edition of the Complete Psychological Works of Sigmund Freud #6)

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,673 Ratings  ·  81 Reviews
The simple but convincing explanations of things familiar to everybody are explained here: the sudden forgetting of names, of sets of words, impressions and intentions; childhood memories; bungled actions and other errors; and all those little, significant mistakes of tongue and pen that have come to be called "Freudian slips."
Published June 4th 2010 by Createspace (first published 1898)

Rick
Jun 01, 2008 Rick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I learned why I have lost so many umbrellas in my life. Why I try to open my office door with my house key. Now, why should my hats and caps have half-lives of less than a year? Where is that mosquito control association cap I got from the World's Leading Authority? Freud pretty much convinced me that what my grandma told me - "Lost objects go to the Moon" - is not true. Venus, maybe.
Yasemin
Jan 21, 2016 Yasemin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hepimizin her gün başına gelen dil sürçmelerimizin anlamını, aklımızdakilerin nasıl direk dile yansıdığına dair açıklamaları oldukça aydınlatıcıydı. Düşündürücü bir kitap ve uzun süredir Freud'dan okuduğum ve yararlı bulduğum, çok da geç kalmadığım için sevindiğim bir kitaptı. Bir yerde, iş yerinde çoğunlukla yanıbaşımda olmasını seçemediğim insanlarla bir aradayken, bu kadar davranış ve cümleleri apaçık eden bir okuma yapmak iyi geldi diyebilirim.
Alex Csicsek
Nov 29, 2010 Alex Csicsek rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yeah yeah yeah, Frued has been discredited by over half a century of physiological study, and his theories are filled with holes and contradictions even when taken on their own terms, but come on... this stuff is fun.

The Psychopathology of Everyday Life is an interesting, accessible book demonstrating the existence of the psyche in the most mundane of circumstances, such as when having a conversation or trying to recall a name. Each chapter deals with the different manifestations of the psyche t
Maureen
May 18, 2013 Maureen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Surprisingly good.

Now that we live in a post-Fruedian universe - it is very interesting to go back and see how it all came about - this book was very readable, the stories he tells, he tells well. It's not always easy to catch everything he is getting at - but in general a very good thesis.

i don't go all the way with his ideas, and he was pedantic, a little Victorian demigod, but all the same fun to read.

Curt Bozif
Oct 02, 2007 Curt Bozif rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who read his Interpretation of Dreams
Shelves: psychoanalysis
How to make people really self-conscious when they drop, slip, miss-spell, forget, are late, or bump into something.
Anna
Feb 09, 2016 Anna rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: in-hungarian
Finished it finally. Jung's next.
I don't think I'll read Freud again. Why? Because I've had the impression that Freud's full of himself, the quantity of the examples are too damn much and the theories... I have to admit, some of them were interesting and made me think, but most of them are just annoying. The whole book is annoying and doesn't make any sense. I cannot believe most of psychology is based on this guy's thoughts.

And I have another thing I have to mention, but it's not Freud's fault.
Shahine Ardeshir
Jun 18, 2014 Shahine Ardeshir rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Since Psychology was my undergraduate major, I am no stranger to Sigmund Freud. So you could argue that I had some idea of what I would be getting into when I picked this book up.

Unfortunately, that didn't help make it any more enjoyable.

I was reminded repeatedly of a line I read in one of our Psychology text books, which pointed out while some of Freud's ideas did in fact shape the way we see therapy, a lot of his work did more to propel dissension (and hence encourage more people to join the
Ennio
Sep 21, 2012 Ennio rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: saggio, filosofia
Dopo aver covato per anni una certa avversione per la psicologia e gli psicologi in generale, principalmente grazie alla falsa idea che media e persone di dubbia intelligenza propinano a riguardo, mi sono lentamente avvicinato a questo mondo con un discreto interesse.
Da dove iniziare allora, se non da uno dei padri della psicologia moderna, per lo più da uno dei suoi testi che ho saputo essere di più semplice comprensione anche per chi non è studioso della materia?
Niente di più sbagliato.
Nonosta
Brandon
May 16, 2007 Brandon rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology
I read this as a required reading in one of my classes in graduate school (which may have something to do with how I rated it). At the end of the book I was left wondering if anyone would ever suggest this book if the authors name wasn't Freud.
Ganesh Sanal
Jul 27, 2016 Ganesh Sanal rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one
A word to everyone that's about to read this: This is not Psychiatry 101. The author's subconscious repressed the fact that there are non-psychiatric people like us exist.

The most excruciating read ever. Sigmund Freud is the most terrible author that I have ever came across. He may be a great psychiatrist but he is the kind of author that make you quit reading altogether. Phew...

description

Okay. Calm down...

description

This is something that lies between a research paper and a generic book. It's too technical to be c
Tatiana (DraCat)
Apr 13, 2009 Tatiana (DraCat) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Tatiana (DraCat) by: ta.dra.la@gmail.com
Shelves: psy
Перечитывая Фрейда с немного другим, чем пять лет назад, багажом за плечами, понимаю, что раньше я не читала его книг. Взгляд студента всегда избирателен - выхватывает то, что нужно к зачету, реферату, вообще, что нужно. За этим теряется специфика текста. Научный текст - это особая стилистика. Но и к нему можно подходить как к художественному произведению. "Психопатология обыденной жизни" с этой точки зрения вызывает реакцию: "Какой интересный автор, где бы прикупить ещё пару книжечек". Между те ...more
Remo
Dec 23, 2014 Remo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1995, psicologia
Empiezo a darme cuenta de que Freud fallaba y creo que sé dónde. El busilis es la aparente coincidecia iterada. En este libro explica mediante sus hipótesis psicoanalíticas (lo intenta al menos) los olvidos casuales, las faltas al hablar o escribir (lapsus linguae y lapsus calami, como dato curioso pero inútil), los errores simples... Su método falla. Siempre se ve capaz de hallar una relación entre el tema que le ocupa y algún hecho reciente que perturba al autor del fallo. Pero es que SIEMPRE ...more
Jana
Jan 28, 2008 Jana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology, theory
Freud's work is foundational for understanding theory. Without reading his work, we can't possibly get all the references of the other theorists who followed. So... as part of my MFA program, we read the entire body of Freud's work.

I had a lot of resistance to Freud... mostly feminist critique. But to be fair, even the feminist theorists are grounded in at least an understanding of Freud (if not Freudian themselves). But about this book...

I guess I took issue with Freud's assumption of perfecti
Leonardo
Aug 23, 2016 Leonardo marked it as to-keep-ref  ·  review of another edition
La represión tiene que ser tan fuerte porque el sexo mismo es muy fuerte. ¿Qué sociedad es esta en la que el sonido metálico de unos tacones puede hacer que los hombres exploten de lujuria? No es de extrañar que, en el curso del análisis del famoso sueño de «Signorelli» en su Psicopatología de la vida cotidiana, Freud informe de que fue un viejo musulmán de Bosnia-Herzegovina quien le comunicó la «sabiduría» del sexo como lo único que hace la vida digna de ser vivida: «Una vez que el hombre no e ...more
Marlow
Dec 10, 2015 Marlow rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Freud is an easy guy to smack-talk and an easy guy to praise. I'm not going to go into detail about whether his ideas are true or not, because I confess I have little experience in the psychology arena; I have no degree in the subject and certainly no expertise in the field. So let's just talk about the book itself.

I found his ideas in this work fascinating and logical. Freud has a fun and entertaining style, especially for an early 1900s author (and a scientist, no less), and though he can com
ladilune
Dec 22, 2015 ladilune rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Although the ideas that Freud explained in the book were questionable, I couldn't also help but to agree sometimes. One of these ideas was how you forget about something once the thought was associated with another repressed thought. There was this instance when my friend asked me the name of a skin disease which I have forgotten. When it came back to memory, I tried to analyse why would I fail to remember the word 'shingles'. Then, I took note of 'shingles' being associated to roof, or to a hou ...more
Paul Brown
Tough one to rate! While I can appreciate Freud's contribution to the field of psychology in a historic context and his core theories are undeniably interesting I feel the material here would justify an essay but not an entire book.
Perhaps the original publication before it had been expanded several times by meandering and repetitive case studies and examples would have been more of a concise and entertaining read but I found this hard going. While Freud may make psychology accessible by telling
Ioana Zorbescu
While I appreciate its place in history, the easily comprehensible language, and the general encouragement to self-discovery via analysing ourselves and our everyday life, *damn* does Freud have a way of stretching things.
Michael
May 27, 2016 Michael rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology, mind, science
Freud analyzes language, memory of names, and behaviors for signs of our repressed subconsciouses. He uses different anecdotes, describes the observation, and then uses his theory of the mind to explain how a forgotten name or a missed appointment derives from the darkest reaches of our minds.

I have few problems with those origins actually. I believe in dark intent and repressed urges. The problem I have with the many anecdotes here is the constant flimsy reasoning seems entirely arbitrary.

That
Ricardo Alves
Aug 22, 2014 Ricardo Alves rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Psicopatologia da vida Quotidiana (1.ª edição, 1904) consiste num tratado sobre as incidências do lapso, do esquecimento, da ilusão da memória -- daquilo a que o senso comum assimilou no último século como acto falhado, nas pessoas cujo comportamento é considerado normativo, e nos quais Freud identifica variadíssimas razões para a intervenção do subconsciente nessas armadilhas quotidianas.
Houve dois aspectos que me impressionaram enquanto leitor: primeiro, a coragem do autor em dar-se a si própr
Kausik R
Jul 13, 2012 Kausik R rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i was flabbergasted when i read this book ... forgetting names and slip of tongue is not a simple science...
Kazi
Apr 27, 2015 Kazi rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, pop-science
Quaint misogynistic ramblings of an old fuddy duddy.
Saimir
Jul 25, 2016 Saimir rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
La parte più divertente della psicologia :)

Se non avete mai letto un libro di psicologia e vorreste cominciare con uno che sia "leggero" e possibilmente divertente allora questo è decisamente il libro giusto. Viene fornita una spiegazione su lapsus, dimenticanze, errori, etc. Inoltre Freud fornisce il metodo per capirne le cause ed ovviare a queste manifestazioni del nostro subconscio (ad esempio nel caso delle dimenticanze: dopo l'analisi - quasi immediata - i pazienti riescono a ricordare:). I
Leah
Oct 27, 2014 Leah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The original source of the Freudian Slip, but so also so assimilated into our (western) culture that much of the theoretical insight is lost in the current of thought. I suspect though, this book would still prove very useful for two purposes
1) some quotable passages on the associative links exploited by wordplay
2) anecdotes about early members of the psychoanalytic movement. Many of the examples that Freud uses in this book involve Jung, Ferenczi, Brill at their most contentious and most vulne
Danny
Jul 08, 2016 Danny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Freud’s “mistake book” is an extraordinary piece of writing/thinking/imagination, as far as I’m concerned—and a delightful book, too. A little over-laden with examples perhaps, but I don’t mind that. Who can blame him for getting carried away with the acquisitive zeal of the anthologist? He’s ON to something, and he has a right to be over-eager. As Freud notes numerous times throughout his essay, he is describing a set of phenomena that great artists and writers have intuited and represented for ...more
Moloch
Jan 31, 2015 Moloch rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Moloch by: Vi si faceva spesso cenno in L'interpretazione dei sogni
Questo libro mi aveva incuriosito perché veniva citato molto spesso da Freud nell'altra sua opera L'intepretazione dei sogni : è stato un colpo di fortuna che di lì a poco ne sia uscita un'edizione allegata al Corriere della Sera a un prezzo convenientissimo. Chiaramente, ora come per quel saggio precedente, e come per gli altri testi scientifici su materie di cui non sono per nulla competente ma che stimolano la mia curiosità, il mio commento non conterrà alcun giudizio sulla validità o attual ...more
Eleclyah

Sembra che, a livello psichico, nulla avvenga a caso.
Lapsus, dimenticanze, atti mancati: secondo Freud, dietro ad ogni movimento apparentemente maldestro, dietro ad ogni errore verbale apparentemente insignificante, dietro ad ogni sbadataggine c'è il lavorio del nostro inconscio, che trapela al di là del conscio nei momenti in cui uno meno se lo aspetta.
E uno che, come me, è sempre stato digiuno di psicologia (tranne l'occasionale e isolata capatina della filosofia in Freud, appunto, al quinto a
Martin Perez
Even though I am not a trained psychologist nor knowledgeable in the Freudian doctrine, I could easily tell that Psycopathology of Everyday Life is a great (or the best?) introduction to Freud's mind and teachings. I have heard much about the discrediting of Freud's ideas, so I read this book through the lens of skepticism. Still, the overall theme of the unconscious as a major factor in our daily life got through effortlessly, and has made me question the consciousness of my actions.
Leigh
Probably one of Freud's easier-to-read books. It's interesting to read his theories about some of the most common, unexplained events that occur everyday in our lives. He attempts to answer questions such as, "Why do we forget to do things? Why do we forget names? Why do we use the wrong words?" This is where the term Freudian Slip comes from. Overall, I found his theories interesting & more palatable than some of his other works. He backs up all of his theories with examples to make them ea ...more
Abraham Granados
May 13, 2016 Abraham Granados rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Es increíble como puedes llegar a conocer tan a fondo a las personas por los errores fútiles que cometen inconscientemente. Ahora entiendo por qué pierdo mis lapices, llaves, cargadores, entre otros objetos, y por qué olvido algunos nombres y ciertas cosas que debo hacer. Sin embargo, considero que el libro necesita más argumentos que defiendan verazmente ciertas ideas que parecen inverosímiles.
Freud
  • The Seminar of Jacques Lacan, Book II: The Ego in Freud's Theory and in the Technique of Psychoanalysis, 1954-1955
  • A Clinical Introduction to Lacanian Psychoanalysis: Theory and Technique
  • Identity and the Life Cycle
  • Playing and Reality
  • Freud: A Life for Our Time
  • Psychoanalytic Diagnosis: Understanding Personality Structure in the Clinical Process
  • Symbols of Transformation (Collected Works 5)
  • Cognitive Therapy and the Emotional Disorders
  • Selecting Effective Treatments: A Comprehensive, Systematic Guide to Treating Mental Disorders
  • Sanity, Madness and the Family: Families of Schizophrenics
  • Madness Explained: Psychosis and Human Nature
  • Man for Himself: An Inquiry into the Psychology of Ethics
  • Person to Person: The Problem of Being Human
  • In the Freud Archives
Freud was an Austrian neurologist and the founder of psychoanalysis, who created an entirely new approach to the understanding of the human personality. He is regarded as one of the most influential - and controversial - minds of the 20th century.

Sigismund (later changed to Sigmund) Freud was born on 6 May 1856 in Freiberg, Moravia (now Pribor in the Czech Republic). His father was a merchant. The
More about Sigmund Freud...

The Standard Edition of the Complete Psychological Works of Sigmund Freud (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Standard Edition of the Complete Psychological Works 1
  • The Standard Edition of the Complete Psychological Works, Vol 2
  • The Standard Edition of the Complete Psychological Works, Vol 4
  • Three Essays on the Theory of Sexuality
  • The Complete Psychological Works of Sigmund Freud 13
  • Introductory Lectures on Psycho-Analysis: Parts I and II [The Standard Edition of the Complete Psychological Works: Vol 15]
  • Introductory Lectures on Psycho-Analysis: Part III [The Standard Edition of the Complete Psychological Works: Vol 16]
  • The Standard Edition of the Complete Psychological Works 18
  • The Standard Edition of the Complete Psychological Works 20 1925-26
  • Standard Edition of the Complete Psychological Works, Vol 22 1932-36: New Introductory Lectures on Psycho-Analysis and Other Works

“Perciò la differenza tra me ed un uomo superstizioso consiste in questo: io non credo che un avvenimento verificatosi senza alcuna partecipazione della mia vita psichica possa rivelarmi cose arcane sul futuro; credo invece che un'espressione non intenzionale della mia vita psichica possa rivelarmi qualcosa di ignoto che, in fondo, appartiene solo alla mia vita psichica; credo alla casualità esterna (reale) ma non a quella interna (psichica). Insomma, il mio è l'atteggiamento esattamente opposto a quello del superstizioso; egli, non sapendo nulla della motivazione degli atti casuali e degli atti mancati, crede nella casualità psichica; è portato ad attribuire al caso esterno un'importanza che si manifesta nella realtà futura, ed a vedere nel caso un mezzo d'espressione di qualcosa che è nascosto nella realtà. Ci sono dunque due differenze tra me e l'uomo superstizioso: prima di tutto egli proietta all'esterno una motivazione che io cerco all'interno; in secondo luogo, egli interpreta il caso per mezzo di un avvenimento che io riconduco ad un'idea. Ciò che per lui è occulto per me è inconscio; in noi c'è la tendenza comune a non considerare il caso come tale, ma ad interpretarlo.
Ora io sostengo che quest'ignoranza cosciente e questa conoscenza inconscia della motivazione delle casualità psichiche sono una delle radici della superstizione. Proprio perché il superstizioso non sa nulla della motivazione dei suoi atti casuali e perché questa motivazione cerca di imporsi alla sua conoscenza, egli è obbligato a spostarla ed a collocarla nel mondo esterno.”
1 likes
“Nella nostra concezione moderna del mondo ―concezione scientifica non ancora definitivamente conclusa― la superstizione è un po' fuori luogo; mentre era ammessa nella concezione di epoche prescientifiche, poiché ne era un complemento logico.
Aveva dunque relativamente ragione l'antico Romano, che rinunciava ad un progetto importante perché il volo degli uccelli era sfavorevole; agiva in modo conforme alle sue premesse. E se rinunciava al suo progetto perché aveva inciampato sulla soglia della sua porta, si rivelava superiore a noi increduli, si rivelava miglior psicologo di noi. Il fatto d'inciampare denotava l'esistenza di un dubbio, di un'opposizione interiore a questo progetto, la cui forza poteva annullare quella della sua intenzione al momento della realizzazione. In effetti si può essere sicuri del successo completo solo quando tutte le energie psichiche tendono al fine desiderato.”
1 likes