Start by marking “Closely Akin to Murder (Claire Malloy, #11)” as Want to Read:
Closely Akin to Murder (Claire Malloy, #11)

Closely Akin to Murder (Claire Malloy #11)

3.78  ·  Rating Details  ·  530 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Veronica "Ronnie" Landonwood is phoning from Chicago to ask Claire for help in tracking down a blackmailer who threatens to expose her past. Ronnie had been in jail for murder but has rehabilitated herself into a prestigious scientist with a shot at a Nobel Prize - unless her sordid past hits the tabloids. Now she wants Claire to go back to Acapulco, where, as a teenager, ...more
Published June 1st 1997 by Onyx (first published May 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Closely Akin to Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Closely Akin to Murder

Thalia Papadakis
Jul 25, 2016 Thalia Papadakis rated it really liked it
The Claire Malloy series is a step above a Cozy, mainly because you actually LIKE the characters. Claire is the single mother of Caron, a teenaged daughter who's at the age of speaking in ALL CAPS. Claire is also the proprietor of a bookstore (which she doesn't seem to spend much time in, on account of solving murders and trying to calm Caron down to at least italics). Peter is Claire's detective boyfriend whom she's lucky to have, otherwise she'd spend the majority of her time in a holding cell ...more
George
Aug 31, 2015 George rated it liked it
#11 in the bookstore owner Claire Malloy mystery series set in Farberville, Arkansas. Claire receives a call from Veronica "Ronnie" Landonwood in Chicago to ask Claire for help in tracking down a blackmailer who threatens to expose her past and possibly ruin her professional life is the information comes out. The twist: Claire thought her cousin died 30 years ago in a car accident in Mexico. She wants Claire to go to Acapulco, where, as a teenager, Ronnie killed a famous Hollywood producer who t ...more
Susan
It was just a phone call from her cousin--but Claire Malloy was stunned, because Ronnie was dead, dead thirty years ago in a car accident. But Ronnie knows too much about Claire's childhood to be anyone else, and now she needs Claire's help. Ronnie had changed her identity, had a successful career, and was being blackmailed for the crime that upended her life. She has no one else to ask--will Claire go to Mexico and find out who, from that close-knit people involved in that long-ago murder, is s ...more
Alannah Davis
I truly wish I could give this more than 2 stars. I love Joan Hess, but this isn't one of her better entries in the Claire Malloy series. From the moment Claire received a call from her presumed-dead-for-30-years cousin Veronica (aka "Ronnie") asking Claire to look for a blackmailer, to Claire's traipsing blithely through Acapulco with little regard for the dangers of possible imprisonment in Mexico, I was left shaking my head. Granted, one needs to suspend belief with most cozy mysteries, but t ...more
Viana
Dec 02, 2014 Viana rated it really liked it
Interesting enough. Light reading with some funny parts as one would expect from Claire Malloy and her daughter.
Charlene Gordon
Aug 14, 2014 Charlene Gordon rated it liked it
Ok book. Read this in 1998.
Mascanlon
Jan 01, 2010 Mascanlon rated it really liked it
I thought I had read all of the Claire malloy mysteries as they came out! Somewhere along the way I missed this one. Claire heads to Mexcio to solve a decades old mystery concenring her dead cousin...who turns out not to be dead...or is she? So what really happened on that night so many years ago. As always Claire is knee deep in to trouble with the police and in this case the Mexican mob (way before the current drug trade wars I might add.) A fun read and a very good mystery to boot.
Ann Marie
Mar 05, 2015 Ann Marie rated it liked it
Some good parts and at one point I thought it was going to be a quick read. But, no. I found I really didn't care much about the players. Tired of Claire putting off her handsome beau. I didn't see some things coming but pretty much had the end figured out. Out of 5 stars maybe 1 1/2
D. Wickles
Aug 04, 2015 D. Wickles rated it liked it
Claire Malloy's teenage daughter was convincingly annoying :)
Daelith
Jun 28, 2008 Daelith rated it liked it
I liked this one better than the last Claire Malloy I read. Lots of twists as usual but this one kept me guessing. It will be interesting to see as Caron, Claire's daughter, gets older if she will take after her mother in the 'meddling' department. She seemed to have a bit of a start in this book.
Sandy Weir
Dec 15, 2013 Sandy Weir rated it it was amazing
This book is partly set in Acapulco (a favorite spot of mine).. so with Claire and Caron (a favorite pair of characters), I knew it would be great! The characters are well cast into their respective roles, with good detail. Interesting conclusion (one I guessed.. the other not so much).
Lain
Feb 20, 2012 Lain rated it it was ok
This book was a hot mess. I don't think I've been this overwhelmed by a plot in a long time! My head was purely whirling with the characters, changes of venue, and bumps and twirls. I really do love Claire Malloy, but this one was a skipper.
Ryan James
Jul 15, 2012 Ryan James rated it it was amazing
Shelves: joan-hess
Hess has me chuckle at least once every other page. Her daughter Caron can be tiresome, but then when I hear American teens, I realize how accurate she could be. These are mind candy books, but I will read anything Joan Hess writes.
ChrisGA
Dec 05, 2015 ChrisGA rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
great cozy with Claire and Caron investigating a cousin's involvement in a thirty year old murder. Claire travels to Acapulco and Phoenix to unravel a web of lies and false identities. Enjoyed the journey.
Helen
Jul 02, 2013 Helen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I love her use of language, though sometimes it signed to get in the way of telling the story. the story was too far fetched at the start and never quite resolved into something I could buy into
Mary Newcomb
Claire's cousin, long presumed dead, asks for help in unraveling a 30 year old mystery. This involves several trips and even more leaps of logic, well done Claire Malloy!
Barbara
Jan 04, 2011 Barbara rated it really liked it
Kindle...still sick with the flu and again, this may be influencing my feelings about the rating of this book. Made a very miserable day go by faster....
Shirley
Jul 07, 2009 Shirley rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Another Joan Hess. Getting ready to switch authors now--though I have one more home to read. Still enjoy her, however.
Jeannette
Sep 17, 2011 Jeannette rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
More twists and turns than the road to Telluride! A little hard to follow, but still a fun read.
Michael
May 04, 2012 Michael rated it really liked it
Cute, fast read. Like Janet Evanovich. I will read another by Hess.
Helen
Mar 31, 2011 Helen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
lots of twists, quite a setting change for Claire -- Acapulco
Helaine
Nov 13, 2014 Helaine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is always something to laugh out loud at in a Joan Hess book!
Marti
Jun 21, 2012 Marti added it
Passed on to me from Mom.
Susan

Jan 16, 2016 Karen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
Good series
Genny
Genny marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
Doreen
Doreen added it
Aug 23, 2016
Deanna
Deanna added it
Aug 21, 2016
Laura marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2016
How much do reviews and cover copy really promote books? 1 2 Jan 03, 2016 03:04PM
  • Suture Self (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #17)
  • An Owl Too Many (Peter Shandy, #8)
  • Honeymoon With Murder (Death on Demand, #4)
  • A Wicked Slice (Lee Ofsted, #1)
  • Dead Days of Summer (Death on Demand, #17)
  • Make No Bones (Gideon Oliver, #7)
  • Thou Shalt Not Grill (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #12)
  • Murder Can Stunt Your Growth (Desiree Shapiro Mystery, #3)
  • Murder Well-Done (Hemlock Falls Mysteries, #4)
  • Lion and Lamb: The Relentless Tenderness
  • Murder Gets a Life (Southern Sisters, #5)
  • Do Unto Others
Joan Hess is the author of both the Claire Malloy and the Maggody mystery series. She is a winner of the American Mystery Award, a member of Sisters in Crime, and a former president of the American Crime Writers League. She lives in Fayetteville, Arkansas.

Joan Hess also writes a mystery series under the pseudonym of Joan Hadley.

Series contributed to:
. Crosswinds
. The Year's 25 Finest Crime and Mys
More about Joan Hess...

Claire Malloy (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Strangled Prose (Claire Malloy, #1)
  • The Murder at the Murder at the Mimosa Inn (Claire Malloy, #2)
  • Dear Miss Demeanor (Claire Malloy, #3)
  • A Really Cute Corpse (Claire Malloy, #4)
  • A Diet to Die For (Claire Malloy, #5)
  • Roll Over and Play Dead (Claire Malloy, #6)
  • Death by the Light of the Moon (Claire Malloy, #7)
  • Poisoned Pins (Claire Malloy, #8)
  • Tickled to Death (Claire Malloy, #9)
  • Busy Bodies (Claire Malloy, #10)