Start by marking “Out on a Limb (Claire Malloy, #14)” as Want to Read:
Out on a Limb (Claire Malloy, #14)

Out on a Limb (Claire Malloy #14)

Faberville bookstore owner Claire Malloy is ruminating over the state of her love life when she gets disturbing news. Elderly Miss Emily Parchester is up a tree. Chained to an old oak, packing a thermos of tea and a gun, the retired schoolteacher is ready to go down with the ship, or rather the tree, before she'll let another historic piece of Farberville be bulldozed in t ...more
Published November 17th 2003 by Minotaur Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Out on a Limb, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Out on a Limb

Merry
Oct 08, 2016 Merry rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-star
Here is a book with a fun and quirky plot, generally interesting and likeable characters, and some twists and turns to keep you guessing. There were a lot of things that were just too ludicrous to be the least bit believable, but I could get past that. But 3 stars was the best I could give it. Why? Simply put, the writing. The style soon became not only annoying, but distracting. After all, how much can you take of sentences like this:

"Her demeanor was that of a tropical storm soon to be upgrade
Joy
Nov 12, 2016 Joy rated it liked it
Claire gets lots of free time from her bookstore, to keep an eye on the local protesters against a developer who has city approval to hack down a lot of trees that are in the way of his planned shopping mall. An elderly lady is spending all her time up in a tree - chained there - to balk tree cutters, and the developer is trying to stop people from supplying the lady with food. And a baby has been left on Claire's doorstep.

This is the first time I have visited this series in 15 years. Now that I
Johnny
Aug 05, 2013 Johnny rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Although there are a couple of subtle cross-references to Joan Hess’ other famous mystery series (Arly Hanks in Maggody, AR) such as when the protagonists in Out on a Limb go to a nearby small town and visit the Pot o’ Gold trailer park in search of clues and notice they are being tailed by a police car, I personally feel like the Claire Malloy mysteries are less “out there” in their humor than the aforementioned Maggody series. Maybe it is the difference between the ultra-small town-ness of Mag ...more
The Badger
Jul 04, 2016 The Badger rated it really liked it
The Claire Malloy series is a step above a Cozy, mainly because you actually LIKE the characters. Claire is the single mother of Caron, a teenaged daughter who's at the age of speaking in ALL CAPS. Claire is also the proprietor of a bookstore (which she doesn't seem to spend much time in, on account of solving murders and trying to calm Caron down to at least italics). Peter is Claire's detective boyfriend whom she's lucky to have, otherwise she'd spend the majority of her time in a holding cell ...more
George
Sep 09, 2015 George rated it liked it
#14 in the small bookstore owner Claire Mallory set in the small college town of Farberville, Arkansas. A central character in this story is from the previous mystery, A conventional Corpse, in this series. The town's major developer is starting a second phase to a housing development and a group of protesters don't want a stand of oak tress cut down for the development so retired teacher Emily Parchester becomes a tree sitter. Soon the developer is found murdered and Claire again becomes involv ...more
Lacrecia
Mar 31, 2014 Lacrecia rated it it was amazing
Joan Hess mysteries are fast moving and I find them hard to put down until I reach the end...which usually means marathon reading sessions that leave me breathless. Needless to say I am not quit sure how Claire Malloy manages to keep up the pace she does in the story. Joan Hess, as always, weaves a complicated tale with many mysterious twists that only Claire can untangle. And in this one the ending is quite a surprise! You won't want to miss this one.
Sandy Weir
Jan 16, 2014 Sandy Weir rated it really liked it
Miss Parchester is back and I love learning more about her! Another relatively cozy, if complicated Ms. Malloy (plus Caron, et.al.) mystery with several twining threads that include Claire having to care for a new baby and an old tree huger sipping tea in the rain.
Linz Zee
Jun 28, 2011 Linz Zee rated it liked it
After reading Josi S. Kilpack's comedic and intense mystery novels, this was just boring and tiresome.
Jane
Aug 04, 2012 Jane rated it liked it
Another great book for the treadmill. (I accidentally typed dreadmill. mmmm....) An easy read mystery in a good series. You have to love book store owners.
Donna
typical Claire Malloy - always in trouble. I do really enjoy Joan Hess stories, they always make me laugh and are just fun to read.
Ann Marie
Jan 26, 2015 Ann Marie rated it liked it
One of the better Claire Malloy books that I've read. A little surprised at the end as I thought I had the killer pegged.
Bumbershootbears
Mar 26, 2015 Bumbershootbears rated it liked it
Love Joan Hess but not my favorite of her books. I didn't feel as engaged by the plot as I usually do with her books.
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2014
Clarity
Clarity rated it it was amazing
Mar 30, 2011
Charlyce
Charlyce rated it it was amazing
Apr 21, 2009
Sue
Sue rated it liked it
Jan 06, 2014
Janet Longmore
Janet Longmore rated it really liked it
Mar 17, 2016
Connie
Connie rated it liked it
Jun 02, 2015
Sherry Lilley
Sherry Lilley rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2016
Bonnie
Bonnie rated it really liked it
Dec 15, 2009
Autumn7383
Autumn7383 rated it it was amazing
Jan 05, 2013
Tammy Ingham
Tammy Ingham rated it it was amazing
Nov 25, 2013
Anu
Anu rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2012
Mark Milotay
Mark Milotay rated it really liked it
Dec 07, 2013
Colleen Young
Colleen Young rated it really liked it
Sep 09, 2012
Cwright
Cwright rated it it was amazing
Oct 01, 2014
Mindy
Mindy rated it it was amazing
Jan 05, 2008
Jenna
Jenna rated it liked it
Nov 20, 2007
Carmen Lessard
Carmen Lessard rated it it was ok
Jul 01, 2011
Judy
Judy rated it it was ok
Aug 04, 2009
  • The Alpine Scandal (Emma Lord, #19)
  • Good Blood (Gideon Oliver, #11)
  • The Crepes of Wrath (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #9)
  • The Cornbread Killer (Heaven Lee, #5)
  • Bum Steer (Jenny Cain, #6)
  • Engaged to Die (Death on Demand, #14)
  • A Wicked Slice (Lee Ofsted, #1)
Joan Hess is the author of both the Claire Malloy and the Maggody mystery series. She is a winner of the American Mystery Award, a member of Sisters in Crime, and a former president of the American Crime Writers League. She lives in Fayetteville, Arkansas.

Joan Hess also writes a mystery series under the pseudonym of Joan Hadley.

Series contributed to:
. Crosswinds
. The Year's 25 Finest Crime and Mys
More about Joan Hess...

Claire Malloy (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Strangled Prose (Claire Malloy, #1)
  • The Murder at the Murder at the Mimosa Inn (Claire Malloy, #2)
  • Dear Miss Demeanor (Claire Malloy, #3)
  • A Really Cute Corpse (Claire Malloy, #4)
  • A Diet to Die For (Claire Malloy, #5)
  • Roll Over and Play Dead (Claire Malloy, #6)
  • Death by the Light of the Moon (Claire Malloy, #7)
  • Poisoned Pins (Claire Malloy, #8)
  • Tickled to Death (Claire Malloy, #9)
  • Busy Bodies (Claire Malloy, #10)