Start by marking “Wishing on a Blue Star” as Want to Read:
Wishing on a Blue Star

Wishing on a Blue Star

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  189 ratings  ·  17 reviews
A Special Project by Dreamspinner Press & ManLoveRomance Press. Edited by Kris Jacen.

How much impact can someone have on your life if you’ve never met them face to face?

In this electronic age of E-mails, electronic publishing, and social networks, quite a lot.

Through his emails, stories and blog, author Patric Michael has touched numerous hearts, minds and lives from t
Kindle Edition, 1st Edition, 402 pages
Published (first published January 25th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Wishing on a Blue Star, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wishing on a Blue Star

Alex
Overall
There is no way to rank this book, to judge it, to compare it to anything else. There are stories, some of them funny, some of them heart breaking (I'm looking at you Amy Lane). Between the stories (or perhaps the stories are in between) are blog posts following Patric Michael's experiences dealing with cancer and everything that goes with it.

This is a longer book as far as books in this genre go, and it took me a while to get through, one because I struggle with anthologies anyway, two
OkayKim
Stupid Human Sex Tricks by Patric Michael
Dragonfly by Jan Irving
A Tale of Thr
Marsha Spence
This review is just for Mary Calmes "Linchpin". Beautifully written and so poignant. It's heartbreaking but still somehow filled with hope.
Star
I cried buckets

This really left me an emotional mess. I loved seeing how each person interpreted there thoughts on the subject and found Patric's way of seeing the world. He didn't hide his anger or fears and also his joys. I didn't see this book as inspirational but as someone who never gave up and learned. I like how he questioned everything to understand what was going on, so many people just except Doctors as gods. I see people with education in medicine, other see them as the answer and exc
Trisha
I don't think I can even begin to explain how much this book touched me. I hope all who read this book are as touched as I am.
adrienne
don't read unless prepared to tear up.
Maddie
I don't think I have ever read a more touching book than this. It's a book that I simultaneously couldn't put down, and couldn't continue reading, but in the end I read it all in one sitting. I am not ashamed to admit that it reduced me to tears, and nearly so even more than that once. Past the typos and punctuation errors that are present not only in the blog entries, but also in the short stories, there is so much "real" ness that they seem to fade away. This was a very intense read, and defin ...more
ErinSC
I *wish* that I had found and read this book sooner, as unfortunately Mr. Michael died last month. I also wish that I could explain how much this compilation touched me. The stories and tributes were beautiful, but Patric's blog entries were my undoing. He made me laugh, cry and alternately want to cheer for/rage at the various people in his life. I will try my best not to look away Mr. Michael, and always share a smile.
The bleakness that his absence will bring will surely be far exceeded by shi
Karin Wollina
it isn`t easy to rate this book. The stories are all thoughtful and touching and I liked them very much.
But the story that is told by the blog entries something special. I am working in oncology for ages, with children and grown-up patients and always tried to be as good and understanding a doctor as Patric`s Doc is,I know how importantit is to take the patient seriously. And I really never knew how much the Fatigue is impairing in the day to day live.
I will give the book to friends of mine to r
Morgan
i read a few short stories before school (i couldn't sleep) and i was crying. really crying with like snot and everything....not a good way to start a school day (you know how that kind of crying can give you headaches?) ~sigh~

so terribly sad.

still in process of reading though its a great read
Cryselle
I don't want to assign stars here -- the work should be beyond rating, because it's a true journey that Patric Michael allowed us to take with him, and it's painful, uplifting, and his. Punctuated with stories from other authors, this is a good reminder of our humanity and fragility,and it's still making me cry to think about, days later, but in a good way.
Regencyfan93
I was impressed with this outpouring of words in memory of Patric Michael. My favorite selection is "So If You're Sand, Not Rock". I cry every time I read it.
Brooklyn
I really enjoyed reading Patric's blog posts. I've always liked biographies, so personal stories captivate me. What a journey of strength.
Lora
Simply the most powerful collection I have ever read. I cried myself stupid, I admit it. An absolute must read.
Kerry
There just are not any words for how this book touched me.
Rachel
Dec 31, 2013 Rachel marked it as owned-to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unread-mm
*downloaded free on ARE
Shannelle
Shannelle marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
Helle
Helle is currently reading it
May 17, 2015
Tracy
Tracy marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
Alice
Alice added it
May 06, 2015
Harriet Falconer
Harriet Falconer marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Julie Norris
Julie Norris marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
Gilles Morneau
Gilles Morneau is currently reading it
Apr 17, 2015
Jodi
Jodi marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
Sherrie
Sherrie marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2015
Faye
Faye marked it as to-read
May 09, 2015
  • A Brush of Wings
  • Curious?: A Woman's Introduction to Gay Romance (includes: Ryan & Scott, #1)
  • Don't Read in the Closet: Volume Two
  • Love Is Always Write: Volume Three
  • Grand Adventures
  • Love Is Always Write: Volume Seven
  • Three Fates
Kris Jacen is the Executive Editor and Formatting Director for ManLoveRomance Press and its imprints. She was invited to join the MLR staff in 2008 and has never looked back. Working with over thirty-five phenomenal authors such as Rick R. Reed, JP Bowie, James Buchanan, J.L. Langley, Ally Blue, Jet Mykles, William Maltese and has allowed her to both hone her editorial skills and indulge her inner ...more
More about Kris Jacen...
I Do: An Anthology in Support of Marriage Equality I Do, Two Lost and Found Mixed Tape Series Volume #2 Red