Start by marking “Slumber (The Fade #1)” as Want to Read:
Slumber (The Fade #1)

Slumber (The Fade #1)

4.04  ·  Rating Details ·  5,309 Ratings  ·  428 Reviews
Molded by a tragic childhood, nineteen-year-old Rogan finds it extremely difficult to trust people. Now Haydyn, her best friend and the one person she does trust, is dying and only Rogan can save her.

Setting off on a journey to retrieve the plant that will cure Haydyn and subsequently the ills that will befall them all if she dies, Rogan is stuck in close quarters with a p
Published May 17th 2011 by Create Space (first published May 15th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Slumber, please sign up.

Charla From her old website back in 2012: "I also would like to release Sneak Thievery (The Fade #2) by the end of July."
From her new website: "Not any time…more
From her new website: "Not any time soon. For now Slumber is a standalone and will remain a standalone. If I’m struck by inspiration in the future for a sequel, then great! But I cannot say for definite that a sequel will happen."
She posted a sneak peek of the cover art for the possible second book on her old website. You can view it here: http://www.samanthayoungbooks.com/201...

So, I am guessing that it is not going to happen. At least not in the near future. :( (less)
Andrea I didn't think so. It had a couple of bad words but nothing graphic. I really liked it and thought it was a sweet story with s lot of suspense!

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads

Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

Slumber by Samantha Young has one of the best first lines I’ve ever read:

“When I was a child the world smelled of summer.”

It’s nostalgic. It’s foreboding. If the world still smelled of summer, of bright things, of happy things, there would be no need to remember what life was like when you were young . . .

Rogan comes from a magical people much like the Fae. They removed themselves from the human world millennia ago after creating a new world—Phaedra. Among her pe
Karla

4.5 Stars! Impressive!

Best $1.14 you'll ever spend, kick in another $1.99 for the audiobook and you got yourself one heck of a deal!!

What an engaging, compelling, amazing read! We all know Samantha Young for her brilliant book, On Dublin Street, but I had no idea how talented she really was! Your heart will go through the wringer with this one, and beware, because there are some brutal scenes in this book! But it's all worth it just to read about Wolfe Stovia! RAWRRRR!!

There is a whole host of
Lisa
Jan 04, 2014 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Rating: 4.5 Stars

Slumber was my first Samantha Young book. I finished reading and I asked myself why I waited so long to read something from this author. Needless to say, Samantha Young is awesome, her writing is crazy good and Slumber was an amazing read!

In Slumber, Samantha Young creates the mythological kingdom of Phaedra. She has created unique mythology, an interesting fantasy realm, and a heroine and hero with unique powers and strong characters. Ms. Young has created an entirely unique st
Cait
Oct 04, 2011 Cait rated it really liked it
Some spoilers are in this review. You have now been warned and I will not be responsible for any red-face, shock, and/or heart attacks that may occur if you don't like spoilers.

Slumber is the remake of the classic fairy tale Sleeping Beauty, but with a couple of twists. The heroic "knight" that saves her from her deep sleep and restores her crumbling kingdom-instead of the dashing Prince Charming- is none other than her best friend Rogan.

The book starts off in a way I didn't expect. Instead of
Hillary Hunt
Feb 06, 2013 Hillary Hunt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, fem-fantasy
I thought this book was similar in style to "Graceling" and "Poison Study"; a romantic fantasy which is pretty much my favorite genre. Definitely the best of Samantha Young's work, of which I've read a fair amount.

Things to love: It has a strong female heroine.
The story starts out with an immediate emotional hook that will draw you in.
The male love interest has a believably conflicted relationship with the heroine.
Much of the conflict in the story arises from the protagonist herself as she st
Elise ✘ a.k.a Ryder's Pet ✘
My casting:

Woah, Samantha Young never seem to disappoint us! Man, here she goes and bring us yet another fantastic book!! Though, my favorite will always be 'Moon Spell', nothing can compete with that one.. But I still love 'Slumber', and I'm really hoping for a book two with my baby Wolfe! :D
oliviasbooks
Slumber is road trip fantasy fiction set in a parallel world, which some magicians' clans had especially created for their kind in order to evade human persecution in ours.

A few centuries after the world's construction magical talents have become rare among the newborn, but everybody believes that magic is necessary to keep the small world from tumbling into chaos. After the ruler dies, his young daughter Haydyn is the last known person able to excercise nationwide mindcontrol: Her job is to ke
Jan 04, 2014 Jennifer rated it really liked it
So...much...wonderfulness (is that a word?) I love books like this....imagination...adventure...friendship...but mostly looooove.

Girl hates boy because boy's father killed her family. Boy secretly loves girl but acts like he hates her.

I loved Wolfe! Brooding and strong and protective.

I loved Rogan! Strong and independent and selfless.

I love that there wasn't any angst in this book (because story isn't set in high school :)).

I love Samantha Young! I could read anything she writes!
Jamila
Jun 14, 2016 Jamila rated it did not like it
There's only SO much stupid one can handle and this book tests the limits >_>
Anzu The Great Destroyer
Might there come a time
When we stand over a grave
And mourn ourselves?
Mourn the past, a previous life?
Shall we weep for the passing of time?
Shall we grieve for unfulfilled dreams?
In my naivety; in my belief
In immortal youth,
I sleep walk through life.
Someone… wake me up.
Please.
Wake me up.
Slumber – Haydyn Dyzvati

Very well my dear. Let’s hope the rest of the book follows this fabulous start.

:pause for effect:

Of course it didn’t follow the accursed start. I couldn’t be this lucky, could
Heather
Dec 22, 2013 Heather rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I have to admit that I was instantly intrigued by this story because it is based on sleeping beauty, but with a twist, and I absolutely love how Samantha Young wrote it. This story doesn't revolve around "sleeping beauty" Hayden, but rather her best friend Rogan. Because, Hayden cannot be woken up with a simple kiss from her one true love but by an almost nonexistent herb that only Rogan can find.

I have to say that I completely love the heroine in this story, Lady Rogan. She was so self assured
Ezinwanyi~ThatEzi  (Oh My Shelves)
I didn't enjoy this one but it was me. If you like Fantasy stories, this is a good one. It was set in a magical Realm Dyzvati with princess Haydyn and her BFF Rogan as the main characters. Haydyn had a disease and Rogan was on the quest to get a plant in order to save the last living princess of Dyzvati.

Rogan as the Handmaiden of Pheadra was a pretty strong character and heroine, but I guess I was expecting some of the On Dublin Street magic. But Rogan was a focused heroine, and so the story was
Neyra ♦

I've been waiting to read this story for over a year now. I love this cover, and I know it's been redesigned and I like that one too, I just think this is a better representation of the story. Anyways, as much as I would of liked to give this book a higher rating, my expectations and what I got were completely different. This truly is a good story, and had the author approached it with a stronger female lead, I might have enjoyed it far more than I did.

"Might there come a time when we stand
Alexandra
THIS is the way to write romantic fantasy.

This story is better than the synopsis sounds. The writing is very good.

Currently $1.14 for Kindle version and $1.99 for the Audible version. WELL worth it.

First off I'll admit Romances typically are not my thing. Now, I don't mind some romance in my stories, if done well, and not too angsty, have a love triangle and or insta-love, but too often I've found in books labeled "Romance" everything but the "romance" seems thrown in as window dressing.

However,
Nathalie*
Mar 22, 2016 Nathalie* rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fav-authors
I really like this book, it was auctioned packed full of angst lots of love it was great!

I love how she was tough but so sweet, she was extremely spirited and never gave up on her quest, I loved that he knew her and called her on her shit! I loved how great he was he never gave up on her, I liked that he made her feel things when she didn't want to.

I really really love L, I wish there was a bit more about her in the end, she deserved a bit more

The whole story was fantastic ;) I loved it!
Rachel
Jun 29, 2011 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Rogan took her responsibilities as best friend and protector of Princezna Haydyn Dyzvati very seriously. So when Haydyn succumbed to the sleeping disease that could only be cured by the somna plant, Rogan was ready to do whatever it took to save her.

Even if that meant journeying to the farthest reaches of Phaedra into hostile territory. And even if that meant traveling with the Captain of the Guard, Vikomt Wolfe Stovia, her longtime adversary and son of the man who murdered her entire family.

Hay
Rebecca ♥ Matrim, Kishan, Magnus ♥
Jan 04, 2014 Rebecca ♥ Matrim, Kishan, Magnus ♥ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of YA fantasy
This book wasnt what I was expecting at all. I didnt realize it was a high fantasy. It is about a Princess' handmaiden that goes on a journey to find a plant to save the Princess from a disease, and falls in the love with the Captain of the Royal Guards that escort her in the process. Its called slumber because the Princess has a sleeping disease, and because Rogan wakes up on the journey, to realize who she really is.

This was a great adventure and an interesting story. And Wolfe was totally swo
Catherine
Jun 15, 2012 Catherine rated it it was ok
I wanted to like this a lot more than I ultimately did. The storyline was interesting, as was the world. However, I absolutely couldn't get behind Rogan as a heroine. She wasn't completely off-putting, but she seemed incredibly dense when it came to Wolfe. I felt like a lot of the bad things happened to her just so we would feel sorry for her, or just so Wolfe could rescue her. On one hand, I was glad that she wasn't superhuman Mary Sue, but on the other hand, I just sighed by the second or ...more
Ashley
Jul 24, 2013 Ashley rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Jena
Oct 16, 2011 Jena rated it it was amazing
After reading, Smokeless Fire, I found myself completely in love with Samantha's creativeness and beautiful writing. So when when Rachel over at Fiktshun gifted me Slumber, I knew I was in trouble. Firstly, the cover is STUNNING. I started Slumber in the evening and did not go to bed until I finished. It's so imaginative, alluring, exciting, and all-around my perfect type of book.

After being ripped away from her family, Rogan has become the Handmaiden and best friend of the Princezna Haydyn. Whe
Amy Joynes
Jun 18, 2012 Amy Joynes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Originally at ... http://teenyreader.blogspot.co.uk/

(Plot summary removed)
Good Points: Holey-moley how have I not found this author before. I came across Slumber when browsing on Amazon and thought I'd give it a chance and I'm so glad I did. This book is amazing, it sort of reminded me of a Maria V.Snyder novel which is always good and I just loved the characters and the world Young has created. Rogan's character is outspoken and strong yet she cares deeply for her friends and will do anything
Katy
Apr 18, 2016 Katy rated it it was amazing
Okay, I normally don't throw around 5 star reviews, but this one got 4.5 (rounded up) due to the fact that I absolutely could not put this book down until I finished.

Rogan is best friend to the princezna. She is torn from her family in a horrible way (in the prologue) at age 11. The first chapter picks up 8 years later, when Rogan is 19 and the princezna, Haydyn, is 17. Haydyn falls under a sleeping sickness and Rogan is the only one who can retrieve the plant to heal her.

Enter Wolfe. Oh my drea
Laura's Book Addiction
If I had to pick one for "Slumber" it would be AMAZING . A great start to this brand new YA series.

Slumber is a mix up of sleeping beauty,magic,high fanasty,danger and romance all rolled in to one perfect novel.

Sam Young's characters just jump off the page and stay with you she has a way with words and story worlds that you just want to be a part of.

Wolfe is a serously HOT book boy and I really don't know how Rogan really keep from falling for him sooner all I can say is he makes me swoon and
Shawna LeAnn
Jul 15, 2011 Shawna LeAnn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nook-books
So first off, I have never been a big fan of sleeping beauty really. But the twist Samanth Young puts on it, I wanted to devour it in one setting. Because, the story is set around sleeping beauties best friend, and her quest to save the beauties life. But of course, her journey is one full of self discovery and the quest to finally let go of her past.

Can I just tell you all now that I loved the heroine, Lady Rogan. She was not only feisty but extreamly loyal. Since her family had been killed in
Teresa Mary Rose
More Reviews Here: Readers Live A Thousand Lives

I loved this book so much! I have read a bunch of Samantha Young books, but this was my first fantasy of hers and I can’t get over how much I loved it. I would love to see her write some new fantasy because she does it so well. Slumber was a great read and I loved getting lost in this world. I am so happy I finally made time for this one. Yay audiobooks!

I have to start with Rogan because I really liked her a lot. Rogan is one tough cookie, but she
Morgan
Feb 20, 2012 Morgan rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars
CLICK HERE TO READ MORE REVIEWS AT READING, EATING & DREAMING

I was a little nervous going into this novel, but there was no reason at all to be nervous. My fears were completely based on a blonde moment. See, when I read the synopsis for Slumber (The Fade #1) this is what I read: The heroine is going to spend the majority of the novel in a slumber while her male best friend and her male arch-nemesis look for a cure for her. I must admit that I was really bummed. I mean, if the girl is sleepi
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
A fairytale for adults. Slumber puts an unique spin on the beloved classic, and gives it an new adult feel. Filled with sizzling character chemistry, electrifying tension, magic and centered on an epic fantasy journey, Slumber is one addicting romantic-fantasy read I didn't want to end.

I've been a Samantha Young fan since the beginning, and I've yet to read one of her books that I didn't like. Slumber is one I really enjoyed. Sadly, this is a book that has sat on my shelves for more than a year,
★Ruth★
So there were elements of this that I loved & some not so much.

The romance was awesome in that I love when a couple set of on a quest "hating" each other and that turns to love over the journey.
(if anyone can recommend more stories like that I would be grateful :) )

Wolfe was the absolute best book boyfriend, really amazing. Young sure knows how to write swoonworthy hero's.

Rogan......not so much. She was very irritating at times & at others down right stupid!
But she was strong & feist
Kirsty (Amethyst Bookwyrm)

Rogan’s childhood is cut short when a man called Stovia kills her family and takes her and others who have magical talents to secure Princezna Haydyn power after her father’s death. Now having growing up together Haydyn and Rogan have become as close sisters but when Haydyn starts dying, only Rogan’s powers can find the flower that will save her. However, the man who is meant to look after her is Wolfe, the son of t
Diana
Aug 22, 2011 Diana rated it it was amazing
New Adult Book Club: October 2013 - Thoughts on Slumber 4 93 Nov 08, 2013 01:41PM
What's The Name o...: YA retelling of sleeping beauty with a twist... [s] 4 38 Jun 26, 2013 06:11PM
book romance: Slumber by Samantha Young 5 21 Mar 15, 2012 04:17AM
  • Viper's Creed (The Cat's Eye Chronicles, #2)
  • The Forest of Adventures (Knight Trilogy, #1)
  • Airborne (Airborne Saga, #1)
  • Wanderlove (Wanderlove, #1)
  • Madly (Madly, #1)
  • Stay (Callie Rose #1)
  • Pride's Run (A Wolf's Pride, #1)
  • Verita (Verita, #1)
  • Time Mends (Timber Wolves Trilogy, #2)
  • The Pearl Savage (Savage, #1)
  • Tab Bennett and the Inbetween (Princess of Twilight and Dawn, #1)
  • The Binding (The Velesi Trilogy, #1)
  • Ward Against Death (Chronicles of a Reluctant Necromancer, #1)
  • Mortal Obligation (Dark Betrayal Trilogy, #1)
  • PineLight (PineLight, #1)
  • Desire (Desire, #1)
  • 7 Folds of Winter
  • Break Away (Away, #1)
Samantha Young is a New York Times, USA Today and Wall Street Journal bestselling author from Stirlingshire, Scotland. She's been nominated for the Goodreads Choice Award 2012 for Best Author and Best Romance for her international bestseller ON DUBLIN STREET, Best Romance 2014 for BEFORE JAMAICA LANE, and Best Romance 2015 for HERO. ON DUBLIN STREET is Samantha's first adult contemporary romance ...more
More about Samantha Young...

“When we’re there I’ll create a distraction. You have to keep your wits about you, Lady Rogan. Watch me all the time. When I make my move, you make it with me and we run.”

I blinked owlishly, hoping I’d heard wrong. “That’s your big plan? A distraction?”

He smiled cheekily at me. “Yes. It’s good, right?”
“You’re going to get us killed.”
“Well, since you got us kidnapped in the first place, I think it’s only fair.”
63 likes
“I always get what I want, Rogan. Always.”
“And what about what I want?”
Wolfe pressed a soft, tender kiss to my lips, the arrogance giving way to deep sincerity. “I’ll always give you what you want, Rogan. Always.”
37 likes