Start by marking “My Name is Elizabeth!” as Want to Read:
My Name is Elizabeth!

My Name is Elizabeth!

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  509 Ratings  ·  108 Reviews
Meet Elizabeth. She's got an excellent pet duck, a loving granddad and a first name that's just awesome. After all, she's got a queen named after her! So she's really not amused when people insist on using nicknames like ?Lizzy? and ?Beth.? She bears her frustration in silence until an otherwise ordinary autumn day, when she discovers her power to change things once and fo ...more
Published September 1st 2011 by Kids Can Press (first published January 2011)

To ask other readers questions about My Name is Elizabeth!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Name is Elizabeth!

Chrysanthemum by Kevin HenkesThe Name Jar by Yangsook ChoiMy Name Is Yoon by Helen RecorvitsMy Name is Elizabeth! by Annika DunkleeMaple by Lori Nichols
Picture books about names
4th out of 10 books — 10 voters
Oh, The Places You'll Go! by Dr. SeussMadeline by Ludwig BemelmansThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussExtra Yarn by Mac BarnettGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss
After School Club Books
70th out of 97 books — 7 voters

More lists with this book...

Kathryn
Jun 10, 2012 Kathryn rated it liked it
Some children are very particular about what they are called and don’t like to be called by nicknames that are not their own. Such is the case with Elizabeth (that’s Elizabeth—not Lizzie or Beth or Liz!). Not that there is anything *wrong* with the other names, but they are just not *her* name. While I can certainly understand Elizabeth’s frustration (you may call me Katie or Kate, but please don’t call me Kathy!) I’m not sure I was a super fan of her way of expressing her displeasure. Still, th ...more
paula
Oh now this is a good one. A great one. Not only because of the story - a little girl with a mouthful of a name who nonetheless would prefer it if people did not shorten it - but the art: fat lovely swipes of gouache or black ink, little scritchy lines, and a vast color palette encompassing exactly two colors - sun orange and pale blue - plus black and white.

I especially like the wordless page where we see six little drawings of Elizabeth getting ready for school while intoning the syllables of
Elisabeth
Sep 15, 2011 Elisabeth rated it it was amazing
I, of course, loved this book (even though they spelled Elisabeth incorrectly). I am considering writing a book called "My name is Elisabeth with an S and if you keep spelling my name wrong or if you call me Liz, I will kick you in the dingding"
Betsy
Jul 04, 2011 Betsy rated it really liked it
The human capacity to garble a first name, even a simple or common one, is without limit. I should know. My name is Elizabeth. My preferred nickname is “Betsy”, which is not intuitive. Generally speaking, one should never assume what another person’s nickname is. In my day I have shouldered countless calls of “Liz”, more than one “Betty”, and the occasional (and unforgivable) "Eliza". Still, my heart goes out to kids with fresh and original names that get mangled in the garbled mouths of well-me ...more
Tasha
Aug 30, 2011 Tasha rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Elizabeth really likes her name, her full name. She likes its length, the way it feels when she says it, and also that there is a queen named after her! But she doesn’t like it when people shorten it to things like Liz, Lizzy, or Beth. So she announces that her name is ELIZABETH Alfreda Roxanne Carmelita Bluebell Jones. But you can just call her Elizabeth. Now everyone has it right, except for one little person, her younger brother. It’s close enough when he calls her “Wizabef.”

Dunklee captures
Amy Forrester
Nov 28, 2012 Amy Forrester rated it it was amazing
Elizabeth loves her name. It has nine letters, it sounds neat when she says it, and there’s even a queen named after her! Unfortunately, other people don’t seem to understand how Elizabeth feels about her name. Friends and family call her, “Lizzy,” “Liz,” Beth,” and the dreaded, “Betsy.” Finally, Elizabeth can’t take it anymore! “My name is ELIZABETH Alfreda Roxanne Carmelita Bluebell Jones!! But you may call me Elizabeth.”

The text of this child-empowering story is brief and presented completely
Arminzerella
Green Bean
Nov 06, 2011 Green Bean rated it it was amazing
Elizabeth--despite it's whole 9 letters including an electric Z--is a name warranting NO abbreviation. Not one item on the interminable list of Elizabeth nicknames is going to cut it. Not Libby, not Lizzie, not Ibby, not Lisa, not Betsy. Betsy is "Not. Even. Close." Elizabeth traipses around this wacky and retro robin's egg blue book with her pet duck, learning to earn respect she deserves! The supremely silly saga of one little girl with two Queens named after her!
Tricia
Nov 11, 2011 Tricia rated it liked it
I see a market for this book with girls named Elizabeth--a niche audience, perhaps. Otherwise, because my storytimes are mixed boys/girls, I'm not thinking that I would share this one as a readaloud. Illustrations are cute.
June
Feb 12, 2016 June rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: names and strong females requests
Recommended to June by: Katie Fitzgerald
A simple story about a girl who loves her name and is frustrated by people who call her by nicknames.

I used to do a names story time, but most of those were longer stories...
Edward Sullivan
Sep 06, 2011 Edward Sullivan rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Don't call her Liz, Lizzie, or Betsy but Wizabef is okay if you're younger brother.
Adrienne Furness
I particularly love the illustrations in this one, retro cool.
Melissa
Oct 06, 2011 Melissa rated it really liked it
Super. Great ending! Love the retro art.
Marcia
Mar 21, 2016 Marcia rated it liked it
A little girl gets very annoyed when family and friends use nicknames rather than call her by her given name, Elizabeth. The illustration stand out- done in four colors, with a retro feel. I would have liked the book more if Elizabeth struck me as more charming with some softness to her edges.
This would be a great conversation starter to kids at the beginning of school talking about names and nicknames.
Traci Bold
Mar 07, 2016 Traci Bold rated it really liked it
My name could never be shortened by the name Elizabeth is shortened in many ways much to Elizabeth's dismay. This poignat and charming picture book written by Annika Dunklee and illustrated by Matthew Forsythe tell the story of a little girl named Elizabeth who figures out how to get people she knows to call her by her full first name, no more nicknames.

Published by Kids Can Press.
Dawn
Feb 03, 2016 Dawn rated it really liked it
We read this book in a previous year for National Read Aloud Day. Some of my students remembered it.

Is a simple story but it led to a great discussion about respect and how we have names that some people don't mind if other people call them and others are more particular about it. We talked about how calling someone by their preferred name is a great way to show respect.
Margie
Mar 17, 2015 Margie rated it really liked it
Sometimes our names can be annoying if those names are long, hard to say, etc. But Elizabeth is proud of her name with 9 letters and insists others use it and not whatever shortened forms or nicknames they come up with. She exemplies being true to herself and wanting others to treat her, and her name, with respect. Good for her.
Jan 11, 2013 Laura rated it really liked it
This spunky little girl's name is Elizabeth and that's what she wants to be called. Not Beth, Betsy, or Eliza. She wants her full name because she loves it so much. The illustrations were especially fun. I loved the orange and blue striations of color that animated the people and places throughout the pages. I was also quite fond of the little duck that followed Elizabeth around. I usually try to read the author bios in the back and I'm always amused by the way the author/illustrator tie in the ...more
Homewood Public Library
Dec 09, 2011 Homewood Public Library rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
“My name is Elizabeth! Not Beth, Liz, Lizzie, or even Betsy!” Elizabeth loves her name, it is just perfect for her with its nine letters. She cannot understand why people want to change it though. In My name is Elizabeth, a young girl named Elizabeth deals with the daily frustration of people trying to shorten her name! I understand this frustration, because ever since the first day of kindergarten people have been trying to change my name. I wonder if Elizabeth’s mother sent her to school with ...more
Sheri
Mar 01, 2016 Sheri rated it liked it
There are a lot of different ways to call someone named Elizabeth. But this little girl has a very long name. Text drives this story along and pictures of winter days. Interesting that Grandpa is the care-giver here.The picture book is mostly in orange, black and blues so very subdued.
JMRL
Elizabeth really likes her name. She likes that it's nine letters long. She likes the neat things her mouth does when she says it. She likes that a queen was named after her. But she does not like it when people call her by nicknames.

Find at JMRL: http://goo.gl/NejAEX
Karen
Jan 27, 2016 Karen rated it liked it
I loved, loved, loved the illustrations. And I (and my son) got the story -- especially since my son's name is "Thomas", not "Tom", "Tommy" or any other corruption -- but it still wasn't much of a story.
William Dickerson
Feb 18, 2014 William Dickerson rated it it was amazing
As someone who has always had a problem with people not calling me by the name I like, I can appreciate Elizabeth's quandary. This is a great book to address issues of names and nicknames.

www.lockheed40books.com
Steven Matview
Mar 07, 2014 Steven Matview rated it really liked it
Shelves: e
The artwork here is really cool! The story is short, but relatable (it used to irritate me like crazy when people dropped the "n" from my name, so I can relate to Elizabeth's plight here).
Danielle Mootz
Apr 16, 2016 Danielle Mootz rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
Well, I have a pretty pushy and adorable Elizabeth at home with an extremely unique middle and last name so needless to say we loved this one.
Dylan McHenry
Jan 14, 2015 Dylan McHenry rated it it was amazing
Funny story! This will be great to help teach children about their own uniqueness and how their name makes them unique just like Elizabeth!
Lynn  Davidson
Mar 07, 2016 Lynn Davidson rated it liked it
Imagine having a queen named after you? With such an important name Elizabeth finally speaks up when she tires of all the nicknames.
Bree
May 14, 2014 Bree rated it it was ok
Notes:
art is pretty, not sure my daughter liked it as much as I did
little girl doesn't like nicknames so she yells at everyone
Betsy
Apr 19, 2012 Betsy rated it it was amazing
As an Elizabeth in a long line of Elizabeths, I really appreciated this book even though I've never gone by the name Elizabeth. In fact, I was very excited to see my nickname used in the text. Since there are so many of us who use the Queen's name and variations thereof, I know that this will be a popular book with many. It would also be a good one to use at the beginning of a school year, just before calling roll for the first time since that inevitably causes some discomfort for kids who go by ...more
Juliana Lee
Elizabeth loves her name. No nicknames! And she makes sure everyone knows it. Her one exception is her baby brother.
  • Prudence Wants a Pet
  • Squid and Octopus Friends for Always
  • Herman and Rosie
  • Henry in Love
  • Otto the Book Bear
  • Do You Know Which Ones Will Grow?