Start by marking “Breaking the Sheikh's Rules” as Want to Read:
Breaking the Sheikh's Rules

Breaking the Sheikh's Rules (Kings of the Desert #1)

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  177 ratings  ·  19 reviews
The huge imposing castle and the barren terrain of Merkazad are a far cry from the modest farm and the emerald fields that horsewoman Iseult calls home. Or used to, until Sheikh Nadim bought her family's stud farm. As part of the deal, she must work at his royal stables....

Nadim enrages Iseult...but he also inspires a more unwelcome, unfamiliar feeling: desire. Drawn into

Published (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Breaking the Sheikh's Rules, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Breaking the Sheikh's Rules

I know quite a few reviewers didn't like Nadim due to the way spoke to Iseult and didn't like her much either as she was a mouse but I actually think this ramped the angst side of the story and gave us a typical Presents story that eventually led to a happy ending.
*** 3 1/2 stars ***

Decent story but the hero was a little too mean for my tastes, I needed to see them happy together in the story, not just at the end when he suddenly decided he could love her.
Lady Jaye
The hero was unnecessarily mean and horrible, just because he could be. the heroine was...not much better either. Iseult wasn't a complete mouse, but she didn't have much of a spine, either.

I didn't enjoy the characters or the story.
Besides i didn't buy the love (or the lust) between them. If i was in lust with someone who said such horrible things at the slightest provocation, I'd fall right back out of lust with them quicker than you could say Jack Daniels.

plus, it just didn't add up. there
This was readable, but not a lot more. I felt like the author phoned it in; everything from plot to phrasing was so familiar, and the writing was kind of sloppy, especially around transitions. And the hero Nadim was just annoying, constantly yelling at the heroine for causing trouble when she's just trying to live her life. Iseult was a more appealing character, with a passion for horses and low self-esteem issues; she deserved a better hero and a more interesting book.
Julie (Manga Maniac Cafe)
I was not swept up into this romance, and I place all of the blame firmly at the feet of the grim hero. He is so far from my ideal mate that I could not buy into this love story. He never shows tenderness toward the heroine, and their courtship was non-existent. Instead, Nadim spent most of the first half of the book yelling at Iseult or browbeating her. It's hard for me to be won over by a guy who intimidates the heroine most of the book.
Love a quick read that is outside my general scope. This was one that I couldn't put down until it was finished with the action and romance. There was no suspense or villains...just a clean read about a man, a woman, and horses. But the romance heated things up when you reached the middle of the book, and until then it was a buildup of sexual frustration and a headstrong female with a male who wasn't use to being questioned. You'll laugh at some of the antics and fan yourself over the steamy kis ...more
I read it in Russian, so I'm not sure how it sounds in original, cause you are never sure how good is the book and how good is translation unless you read both and then you can compare.
But I loved this story! I loved this tension between heroes that sparkled from the first moments and how they both tried to overcome it and failed miserably.
I liked that hero is older then heroine even though 12 years is a little bit too much, it sounded more like a historical then contemporary romance, but who t
Tanya Mayes
This was Abby Green's first Sheikh book and I think it was a very good read. I read all the other books that he (Nadim) is connected to but had never read this story. Sheikh Nadim has bought Iseult's family stud farm and her prized horse she been training. As part of the deal, she must come to Merkazad to work at his royal stables so she can continue to training the horse and to get her away from her father ...Nadim enrages Iseult...but he also inspires a more unwelcome, unfamiliar feeling: "des ...more
A Woods
5 I want my own Sheikh STARS

Gawd, this story is HOTT ! (Yes with the double T) it practically oozes sensuality. Not only that, the author has done an absolute AMAZING job of describing the scenes that I had vivid imagery of what was going on.

It was SO. SO. GOOD! I would recommend it to all readers who are looking for a quick, sexy read with delicious development.

P.S. I did not think the hero was THAT mean as other reviews have mentioned. In fact, everytime he was mean, I felt the sexual te
This book was excellent from start to finish. Abby Green is so descriptive of the surroundings and characters that you feel as you are standing in the scene eavesdropping or witnessing the story unfold. I'll be buying more of her books to enjoy.
Erin (Paperback stash) *is juggle-reading*
3.5 stars. The hero was addicting at times and annoying at others. He didn't have many likeable traits and was overbearing. The heroine has a feisty attitude which was fun sometimes, but other times I felt she was too doey-eyed. Overall a decent story, highly sensual with good eroticism. A small pet peeve was some of the instant emotions and "sizzles" was a bit unrealistic. I thought the author gave the hero a nicely demented backstory and plausible reason for being how he was. On the other hand ...more
Good if you want a couple of hours romance.
Angel Smits
I started out reading Harlequin Presents when I first started reading romance but haven't read one in years. This was a great way to get back into them. It was a RITA finalist this year, so that caught eye. The characters kept me reading. I'll definitely be looking for more of Abby Green's books to add to my to be read list.
Apr 07, 2011 Nunung is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to Abby for this lovely gift... I'm reading an ARC... Even GR doesn't have the cover image yet :) Bless you, Abby!
Glynda Roy
I really love Harlequin Romances and Abby is one of my favorite writers. She is one of the best.
I did not like the fact that she became his mistress - that was lame.
Harlequin Books
Miniseries: Kings of the Desert
Harlequin Books
Miniseries: Kings of the Desert
Karen Gregory
Karen Gregory marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2015
Dixie added it
Nov 17, 2015
veniece coleman
veniece coleman marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2015
Vanessia Dawson
Vanessia Dawson marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2015
  • The Inherited Bride
  • Girl in the Bedouin Tent
  • Strangers in the Desert (The Al Dhakir Brothers #1)
  • Jewel in His Crown
  • Monarch of the Sands
  • Sheikh Without a Heart
  • Majesty, Mistress...Missing Heir
  • The Sheikh's Forbidden Virgin (The Royal House of Karedes #4)
  • Bella and the Merciless Sheikh (The Balfour Brides #7)
  • At the Sheikh's Bidding (Harlequin Presents, #2760)
  • Duty, Desire and the Desert King (Desert Kings, #3)
  • To Tempt a Sheikh (Pride Of Zohayd, #2)
  • Possessed by the Sheikh (Sheikh's Arabian Nights #3)
  • Forbidden: The Sheikh's Virgin (Dark-Hearted Desert Men #3)
  • For Duty's Sake (Royal Brides, #9)
Abby Green spent her teens reading Mills & Boon romances. She then spent many years working in the Film and TV industry as an Assistant Director. One day while standing outside an actor's trailer in the rain, she thought: "there has to be more than this". So she sent off a partial to Mills & Boon. After numerous rewrites, they accepted her first book and an author was born. She was nominat ...more
More about Abby Green...

Kings of the Desert (2 books)
  • The Inherited Bride