Start by marking “El caso del hombre que murió riendo (Vish Puri, #2)” as Want to Read:
El caso del hombre que murió riendo (Vish Puri, #2)

El caso del hombre que murió riendo (Vish Puri #2)

3.76  ·  Rating Details ·  3,420 Ratings  ·  490 Reviews
Los asesinatos no son cuestión de risa.

Bien lo sabe Vish Puri, el detective más privado de la India, maestro del disfraz y amante de la comida frita y picante, que se halla volcado en la investigación de la extraña muerte de un conocido científico.

El doctor Suresh Jha murió de modo repentino mientras realizaba sus ejercicios matutinos en el Club de la risa de Delhi.

Puri no
Published November 1st 2010 by Roca (first published August 11th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about El caso del hombre que murió riendo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about El caso del hombre que murió riendo

Valentina
Jul 05, 2010 Valentina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tarquin Hall simply gets India. A British journalist who lives in Delhi and who's married to an Indian woman, he combines an insider's understanding of the country with an outsider's necessarily-surprised look at all of India's never ending quirkiness.

Food is the prime example, with Private Investigator Vish Puri constantly nibbling on all sorts of dishes, eaten while sitting down at restaurants or while playing chess at Puri's all-gentlemen club, bought on the go from greasy food stalls, or qu
Julie Davis
#81 - 2010.

I enjoyed the first in this series so much that I was delighted to find the second book had just come out. A few chapters in, there is the main mystery in which a professional skeptic who exposes fraudulent, famous gurus is apparently murdered by a manifestation of Kali, in full view of a group of friends. Then there is the sub-mystery which Vish Puri's Mummy is investigating and taking Vish's wife, Rumpi, along for the ride. I love the Punjabi characters and see that the author says
Jon Cox
I have a definite fault that was plainly manifest when I read this book. I started reading, and was enjoying it quite a bit. I thought that the Mr. Hall's descriptions of the setting and his characterizations were interesting, specific, and very distinctive. After a few pages, I wondered aloud how accurate Mr. Hall's portrayals of India and the dialogue of Indians are. My wife wife looked at me, amazed and bemused. "He lived in India for years and is married to an Indian," she laughed, "Didn't y ...more
Rajan
Jan 01, 2016 Rajan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"It had often struck Facecream how cults, whether of a political or religious nature, always preached equality and happiness while fostering fear. It had been the same with the Maoists, who relied so heavily on women and children to fill their ranks. Party propaganda spoke endlessly about the Communist ideal of equality, while the hierarchy maintained strict discipline and unquestioning allegiance."
_-------
A philosophical look came over the detective's face. "Actually, Madam Rani, we Indian peop
Kelly Knapp
Jul 26, 2012 Kelly Knapp rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery lovers, travel buffs, Indian enthusiats
Recommended to Kelly by: Goodreads Firstreads giveaway
Tarquin Hall writes so clearly that I feel as if I can see Delhi and all of its glorious eccentricities. I found the food to be tantalizing and had to buy an Indian cookbook.

Tarquin's character development rivals Agatha Christie, and while many consider “Chubby” to be the Sherlock Holmes of India, I find him to be much closer to Poirot and his little grey cells.

When a vocal advocate for secularism is killed by the Hindu goddess, Kali, the local detective seeks help from Vish Puri, who dubs hims
Trish
Feb 07, 2017 Trish rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another light-hearted cozy series for curling up in front of the fire with.
Leslie Reese
I may have enjoyed reading this even more than The Case of the Missing Servant. It’s fun to continue getting to know familiar characters in a new set of circumstances, and I think the author gave himself permission to go on a crazier imaginative romp. In this installment, Tarquin Hall plays with the clash between science, spirituality, religion, superstition and magic in contemporary India. I got a kick out of imagining Vish Puri and his operatives dressed in disguises and acting out different c ...more
Nancy
The second Vish Puri book; I didn't even realize it was out until I saw someone with a copy and dashed out to find a copy. I liked the book, but thought the charm was a bit attenuated this time around.

The primary plot of the murder was decent and the secondary "kitty party" mystery were fine (Mummy-ji and Rumpi were a pleasure). But with three locales, and various people to follow, the book had a lot of ground to cover and, I think, tried to do it too quickly or tried to limit the overall book
Richard
Jun 27, 2011 Richard rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
Amusing, and stereotypical look at the Indian middle class through the eyes of Inspector Vish Puri. Probably most amusing if you've spent some time in India. This particular case involves a very nice skeptical look at the Indian phenomenon of Godmen - charlatans who claim to have high spiritual powers, the more adept of them able to swindle the gullible at all levels of society; the best of them making forays into the west to swindle New Agers looking for something old to believe in.

Tarquin Hal
Michael (Mai)
Feb 18, 2017 Michael (Mai) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
I accidentally read (listened) to this before book one. I thought it was book one. Oops! It was so good I can't wait to go back and listen to the first one! It is seriously good. I don't think I'll ever be able to physically read the book though, the narrator, Sam Dastor, is so amazing.

The story is great. I laughed a lot. The story was so vivid and wonderful. I could picture everything.

Totally recommend this this to everyone, especially audiobook listeners.
Smita Beohar
Jul 27, 2010 Smita Beohar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you have been following my book reviews then you would remember a book review of mine “The Case of the Missing Servant”. One of my favorite books of the last year, I was waiting for the next one in the series of Vish Puri, “Most Private Investigator”. Surprisingly I wasn’t aware of the release of this book and when I chanced upon it I grabbed it with both my hands! :D

This time again the author doesn’t disappoint us. This book is centered around the clash of so called Swami’s/ self styled guru
Anna
Jul 15, 2013 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Sherlock Holmes, Alexander McCall Smith, and those who like detectives in exotic locations
I can never resist good crime, thrillers, and detectives set in an(y) exotic location when the story is full of local flavors and scents, and has a good selection of interesting characters of both the good and the bad varieties.
This was the first Vish Puri for me, and an enjoyable armchair travel to India. A bit of old-fashioned Sherlock Holmes, a bit of Alexander McCall Smith, and a lot of Indian flavors. And with plenty of subtle humor (then again, could you expect a book with this title to b
Wolf
Sep 04, 2011 Wolf rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some crime writers made their career out of impossible crimes, but not even John Dickson Carr tackled a murder apparently committed by a Hindu goddess. Tarquin Hall's second outing for his modern day Indian detective Vish Puri does exactly that, however. And very entertaining the result is too.

The puzzle is challenging, but with enough clues for an acute reader to guess something of the solution. Be warned one section of the final explanation veers slightly toward science fiction but in a contex
Kathleen
Oct 01, 2013 Kathleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tarquin Hall--what a good find! I heard his name one morning on NPR and found one book in my local library. My book group has been reading several books about India, but I think I like this one in terms of authentic Indian flavor and detailing and humor. This book deals with the divide in India between believers and rationalists; was Dr. Suresh Jha, rationalist, actually killed by the goddess Kali, as eyewitnesses and even a video account would have us believe, or an illusion? It's a case of the ...more
Carol
The Man Who Died Laughing by Tarquin Hall is very difficult to rate. I really think it is a 3.5. This means there were parts of the book that I loved but other parts where I felt lost and wanted to skip ahead.

I loved the characters, Vishi Puri; the "Most Private Investigator" is my favorite character. He is that author's window into Indian culture and behavior today. We learn about Indian customs, parties, the delicious food, the clothes, the heat of the country, the population density. The lack
Melinda
This book was a very enjoyable read, the 2nd in the Vish Puri mystery series by Tarquin Hall. Having read the first book, "The Case of the Missing Servant", I queued up this book from the library as soon as I could.

In this 2nd book, a scientist who makes a living by exposing famous gurus and "god men" for their deceit and manipulation of their followers is murdered in full daylight by an apparent manifestation of Kali. Who did it, and how they did it, or if they did it all becomes the basic bac
Rayah
Jun 26, 2012 Rayah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway. I think maybe part of the reason I was chosen is that I enjoy the "Ladies' No.1 Detective Agency" series. Although the "Vish Puri, Most Private Investigator" series may be enjoyed by the same audience, the two series are very different. While Mma Ramotswe shares her gentle philosophy under a wide, white, Botswana sky, Vish Puri snaps at slow drivers amidst the noise, odors, and bustle of Delhi.

Author Tarquin Hall has helpfully put a glossary of Indian wor
Anne
Jun 21, 2010 Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: cozy mystery readers
Shelves: mysteries, humor
Last year's 'The Case of the Missing Servant' was Tarquin Hall's very entertaining first installment in the mystery series featuring Vish Puri, Most Private Investigator. I was happy to see that 'The Case of the Man Who Died Laughing', the second in the series, was recently released and was not disappointed. In this case, Puri, the portly private detective in Delhi, investigates the mysterious death of a well-known debunker of religious chicanery who is stabbed by none other than a very lifelike ...more
Jonathan
The Case of the Man Who Died Laughing, written by Tarquin Hall, is a mystery novel that follows Vish Puri, India's most private detective, as he tries to solve the case of a high-profile murder of a respected scientist. The story follows Puri as he searches the streets of New Delhi for clues pertaining to the case. I enjoyed how the author integrates the culture of India so closely with the story, dropping Hindi words in the middle of a sentence. Overall, I enjoyed the book; I like Hall's style ...more
Annalie
Nov 19, 2013 Annalie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book even more than the first Vish Puri novel; possibly because my son has since been to Delhi and he told me that it's so typical of Delhi speech, culture and food.
Tarquin Hall has the rare gift of creating a Delhi accent in the reader's head; I suspect through grammar, sentence construction and expressions and thankfully not by writing phonetically (I really dislike reading that!).
If you like Alexander McCall Smith's No. 1 Lady Detective novels, you'll probably enjoy Tarquin Ha
jaxnsmom
At first I had to re-read some of the expressions to be sure I knew what was being said, but then the 'translation' became automatic, and I was able to sit back and enjoy the trip. Vish Puri has a wonderful sense of humor and intelligence, while not being perfect. And the other characters are realistic and believable. While at times seeming like a comforting, light read, there was more depth to the story than one might expect. I can't wait to read more in this series.
Judy Abbott
Jul 02, 2016 Judy Abbott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
İkinci macerada Hindistan'ın En Özel Dedektifi Vish Puri, mistik bir cinayeti çözmeye çalışıyor. Yine tüm renkleri, keşmekeşi ve ne olduğunu bilmesek de ağzımızı sulandıran baharatlı yemekleri ile Hindistan romana harikulade bir atmosfer sağlıyor. Çok sevdim bu seriyi.
Spuddie
Mar 06, 2011 Spuddie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another excellent entry, with a skillful reader and another wacky story featuring the "Most Private Detective" Vish Puri and his hilariously-named staff (Facecream, Tubelight, Handbrake etc.) in Delhi, India. I very much look forward to the next release!
Melissa
This book is delightful! A nice mystery, filled with some excellent characters & containing my new favorite adage: "Let us cross that bridge should it rise up." An extra smiley face for all the delectable Indian food consumed within.
Joanne
Aug 09, 2010 Joanne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I really liked the first Vish Puri novel. This one has too much going on in it - the case of the title, charlatan holy men, a robbery at a "kitty party"....none of which was particularly interesting. Too bad.
Murghi
Oct 30, 2010 Murghi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: love-it
See "The Case of the Missing Servant". Love these books. I had the pleasure of listening to this one on an audiobook (while in the emergency room awaiting an appendectomy!) Lovely. Now my only problem is that I don't have any "Kitty Party" to go to.
Indrani Sen
Oct 14, 2016 Indrani Sen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: india
Not very good in opinion. Loved the food references. Liked the rationalist bits. but otherwise the mystery wasnt engaging enough. mummyji's part was nicer though as before.
Katja Tormanen
Mukava, leppoisa rentoutumiskirja. Ei mitään erityisen riemastuttavaa, mutta ei mitään erityisen harmittavaakaan. Lomapäiville oikein passeli.
Lollyletsgo
Aug 28, 2011 Lollyletsgo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The mystery in this book was much better than the first, and the tandem investigations tied together quite well. Again, I loved being shown a different culture by a "native".
Ashwini Nocaste
Mar 18, 2015 Ashwini Nocaste rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Delectable, but unduly longer than necessary.
Madison Mega-Mara...: The case of the Man Who Died Laughing (Vish Puri #2) 1 2 Aug 31, 2012 06:54AM
  • A Bali Conspiracy Most Foul (Inspector Singh Investigates #2)
  • A Loyal Character Dancer (Inspector Chen Cao #2)
  • Love Songs from a Shallow Grave (Dr. Siri Paiboun, #7)
  • A Carrion Death (Detective Kubu, #1)
  • The Wedding Wallah
  • Concourse (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith, #2)
  • Let The Dead Lie (Detective Emmanuel Cooper, #2)
Tarquin Hall is a British author and journalist who has lived and worked throughout South Asia, the Middle East and Africa. He is the author of The Case of the Missing Servant, dozens of articles, and three works of non-fiction, including the highly acclaimed Salaam Brick Lane, an account of a year spent above a Bangladeshi sweat shop in London’s notorious East End. He is married to Indian-born jo ...more
More about Tarquin Hall...

Vish Puri (4 books)
  • The Case of the Missing Servant (Vish Puri, #1)
  • The Case of the Deadly Butter Chicken (Vish Puri, #3)
  • The Case of the Love Commandos (Vish Puri, #4)