Start by marking “Black Tom: Sir Thomas Fairfax and the English Revolution” as Want to Read:
Black Tom: Sir Thomas Fairfax and the English Revolution

Black Tom: Sir Thomas Fairfax and the English Revolution

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  5 ratings  ·  1 review
Black Tom delivers a groundbreaking examination of the transformative experience of the English revolution from the viewpoint of one of its leading, yet most neglected, participants. It is the first modern academic study of Fairfax, making it essential reading for university students as well as historians of the seventeenth century. Its accessible style will appeal to a wi ...more
Published July 15th 2007 by Manchester University Press (first published April 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Black Tom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Tom

imngrer
I am really glad I read this book. I have been wondering of late where the exceptionally sympathetic representation of Fairfax in some books I read as a kid had come from which was strange because modern historians really didn't give me that impression at all. I now understand that the three previous biographies, the first dating from sometime in the 19th century, all rather over-romanticised his sterling qualities.

Hopper deals with Fairfax in two sections: one biographical and the second discus
John
John marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Katherine
Katherine marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
Heather
Heather is currently reading it
Nov 22, 2012
Rollo
Rollo added it
Jun 14, 2009
Librarian note:
There is more than one author in the GoodReads database with this name
More about Andrew Hopper...
England's Fortress: New Perspectives on Thomas, 3rd Lord Fairfax Turncoats and Renegadoes: Changing Sides During the English Civil Wars The Papers of the Hothams, Governors of Hull During the Civil War New Directions in Local History Since Hoskins The County Community in Seventeenth Century England and Wales (Explorations in Local and Regional Histo)