Start by marking “Failure in the Saddle” as Want to Read:
Failure in the Saddle

Failure in the Saddle

4.40  ·  Rating Details  ·  30 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Despite the brutal nature of the Civil War, the Confederate cavalry has a storied and generally favourable relationship with its history. However, sometimes the whiff of romance present obscures history. Failure in the Saddle is the first study of its kind to examine the impact of the Confederate Cavalry on the larger Chickamauga campaign.
Published September 16th 2014 by Savas Beatie (first published September 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Failure in the Saddle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Failure in the Saddle

Jerry
Sep 06, 2011 Jerry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The battle of Chickamauga was one of the most significant battles of the American Civil War and has been the subject of a number of excellent published books. However, the crucial role of the Confederate cavalry has been largely overlooked. I suspect this is because of the difficulty in determining the movements of relativly small individual mounted units whose leaders failed to provide reports immediately after the battle, if at all. I know from personal experience in examining the Official Re ...more
George
May 25, 2011 George rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very interesting look at one of the most critical moments in the Civil War. The Confederate commander, Braxton Bragg has always been considered one of the chief architects in the South's eventual defeat, a man who was uniquely able to alienate and infuriate practically his entire command and who has drawn all but universal condemnation from his contemporaries and every Civil War historian since.

Bragg allowed his forces to be completely outmanuvered from the outset of this campaign, resulting
Chuck
Dec 28, 2014 Chuck rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Braxton Bragg has been heavily criticized for many failures in his campaigns against the Union Army in North Georgia and Tennessee. Among the criticisms has been his failure to seize a number critical moments to crush the Union Army.

David A Powell in "Failure in the Saddle" looks into this failure. He looks at the cavalry arm of Bragg's Army which was responsible for finding the location of the Union Army(Scouting) , fixing the Union Army (means preventing the Union Army from maneuvering) and pr
Iain
Sep 25, 2015 Iain rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical-acw
Although my reading of this book predates my involvement on Goodreads, I remember liking the book and appreciating the author's frank appraisal of the performance of Bragg's cavalry during the Chickamauga. Not only did I keep my copy of the book but I like the author's work enough to seek out other books by him, wargames by him, and I expect I'll re-read the book one day.
Peggy
Apr 30, 2015 Peggy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mr Powell wrote a well rounded book on the Confederate Cavalry during the Chickamuga Campaign. This book is not for the novice Civil War reader. I found it is more geared to those of us who have spent quality time studying the Civil War.

I do not agree with his assessment of Braxton Bragg at all. The author lays most of the blame for the failure of the Confederate cavalry at the feet of Nathan Bedford Forrest,Joe Wheeler(share more blame than Forrest) and John Pegram.

As I said the book is well ro
Sean Chick
Apr 03, 2016 Sean Chick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a book that is squarely for the expert since it deals with only one aspect of the Chickamauga operation. It is an enlightening book, in which Forrest is taken to task for his failures in scouting and command control. Yet Powell is no hatchet man. He recounts the points where Forrest did well and that he was still learning his trade, shifting from a partisan ranger to an efficient combat commander. Also like that various obscure figures are described. Except for C. C. Crews. He is still a ...more
Jon
Jul 27, 2012 Jon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book. Together with "The Maps of Chickamauga", these two are essential reading for understanding the battle better. This is the most in-depth analysis of the campaign from the perspective of the Confederate cavalry & the author has really done the legwork & research to show what happened. I live about 20 minutes from the battlefield & have been visiting & guiding tours there for well over a dozen years. The OOB & driving maps are also extremely helpful.
Dirk Heinz
May 30, 2012 Dirk Heinz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent
Willyt
Willyt added it
Aug 10, 2016
Cawkins Chuck
Cawkins Chuck marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2016
Nathan Albright
Nathan Albright marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Gavin
Gavin marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Erick
Erick marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
Lee
Lee rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2016
Donald B. Johnson
Donald B. Johnson rated it really liked it
Dec 27, 2015
Alex Raines
Alex Raines rated it really liked it
Dec 25, 2015
Jerome
Jerome is currently reading it
Dec 16, 2015
Dennis W.
Dennis W. rated it it was amazing
Nov 03, 2015
Stephen Boiko
Stephen Boiko marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2015
Art
Art marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2015
Dante
Dante added it
Sep 26, 2015
Josh Liller
Josh Liller marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2015
Leslie B Mink
Leslie B Mink rated it really liked it
Sep 04, 2015
Joe Jacobs
Joe Jacobs rated it it was amazing
Jul 08, 2015
Michael J. Bayly
Michael J. Bayly rated it it was amazing
Jul 30, 2015
Dwight
Dwight rated it it was amazing
Oct 27, 2015
Reed
Reed marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
Jim Jolly
Jim Jolly rated it it was amazing
Oct 18, 2014
Jim
Jim rated it it was ok
Jun 28, 2014
Kimberly
Kimberly marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
Graduated from the Virginia Military Institute with a B.A. in history. He has spent years studying the Battle of Chickamauga and wrote several books on the campaign. His book Failure in the Saddle: Nathan Bedford Forrest, Joseph Wheeler, and the Confederate Cavalry in the Chickamauga Campaign won the 2011 Richard Harwell Award for the best book on a Civil War topic published in the last year. In a ...more
More about David A. Powell...