House of Echoes

House of Echoes

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  1,511 ratings  ·  64 reviews
The past isn't always dead or buried...

When Joss Grant, adopted at birth, inherits Belheddon Hall – a beautiful old house on the East Anglian coast – it is like a dream come true. Eager to begin a new life there with Luke, her husband, and Tom, her small son, she is also impatient to find out about her newly discovered family who lived there for generations.

But not long af...more
Published November 11th 1996 by HarperCollins Publishers Ltd (first published 1996)

The Shining by Stephen KingThe Haunting of Hill House by Shirley JacksonHell House by Richard MathesonHouse of Leaves by Mark Z. DanielewskiManchester House by Donald Allen Kirch
Haunted Houses
37th out of 189 books — 249 voters
The Shining by Stephen KingThe Haunting of Hill House by Shirley JacksonA Christmas Carol by Charles DickensGhost Story by Peter StraubHeart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill
Ghost Stories
84th out of 666 books — 980 voters

More lists with this book...

Hannah
I do admit that this book goes on for about 100 pages longer then it should. And the female protagonist, Joss, too often lets her husband and sister walk all over her. Lyn, the sister, is one of the most annoying secondary characters I've ever read. And there is a repetitivness that comes into play about 3/4 of the way through...

With that being said....
Still one of the creepiest books I've ever read. Erskine manages to create a subtle feeling of spooky, building tension that makes it very hard t...more
Linda
In the mood for a ghost story? Put your overworked sense of reality into a state of suspended animation, and read about a haunted house in Essex, England. Jocelyn Grant's husband has lost his business due to his underhanded partner, when, serendipitously, Joss goes on a search for her birth mother, finding not only her roots but an inheritance in the shape of her ancestral home. Of course it's haunted - there'd be no story otherwise - and some of this novel is rather overdone. As other reviews h...more
badfae
I've read two of this author's books, and, quite frankly, that was enough to make me avoid the rest of her work. It's not terrible...just...eh. Two different novels by the same author using the presumed-to-be-hysterical-woman-whom-the-men-don't-take-seriously-despite-clear-evidence premise may just be unfortunate sampling on my part, but, why take the risk?

Again, she started with a good idea, but the execution is lacking. I once saw a review for this where the person said it was just well-writt...more
Damaskcat
Joss inherits a house - Belheddon - completely out of the blue. The inheritance comes just at the right time when Luke, her husband, has lost his job and they need to find somewhere cheaper to live and where he can set up a new business. The house is very old and seems to have a bad reputation in the village but Luke and Joss and their small son Tom are determined t0 make the best of things and turn it into a family home.

What follows is a nightmare with Joss being aware of voices and what her so...more
Cat
I LOVED Midnight is a lonely place" as it was the first one i read but i think all the books by this author are the same and i have read 3 so far. here is the plot for all:

1) Old house
2) Middle Aged Heroine
3) Ghost trying to fuck her up
4) everyone thinks she is mental until there is a storm.
5) The storm reveals all.

yawwwnnn
Sara Giacalone
(Three and 1/2 stars) I was in the mood for a supernatural thriller with a bit of history a la Seyton's Green Darkness or du Maurier's The House on the Strand and, for the most part, House of Echoes fit the bill. Being adopted myself I loved the idea of inheriting a 13th century house from birth parents, and the house having a reputation of evil happenings only makes it better. The story was suspensful and a little bit scary, but nothing that kept me up at night (except to get to the end of the...more
Thea
I gladly suspended disbelief for the three days it took me to read this book. It's a creepy (as in haunted manor house in England) page-turner that made me feel like someone was watching me as I read late into the night. Ooooh.

That being said, the book goes on too long and some parts seemed somewhat repetitive, but I was entertained. It satisfied my desire to read something I could get into without having to think too much about it. However (SOMEWHAT OF A SPOILER AHEAD), I thought the last few c...more
Hayley
I read this as a small child (despite being told it's too grown up for me) but I remembered it vaguely since then and wanted to read it again!
I think a lot went over my head as a kid!
My now impressions:
I still enjoyed it, the suspense and spookiness builds nicely, but not in a lose-sleep kind of way. The characters were diverse (hated Lyn, liked Jimbo).
The style of writing is a little dated now, but still holds up.
Ending felt a little rushed, and one really odd random thing that happened midway...more
Kathryn
I enjoyed this book - I'm not keen on anything too scary, so this delivered just enough of a chill to keep me reading. Mind you, I do have to admit I will never understand why any mother would keep her children in a house where there were so many unexplained goings-on affecting them! I'd have left almost straight away...
Clare
My first novel by her and after this I have read every book of hers. Her storytelling has you gripped with every sentence, this was no different. This will hold a special place in my heart and would recommend this book to everyone I know!
Joana
Nov 06, 2011 Joana rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: mine
Ora portanto, tendo em conta que já tinha lido dois livros da autora, um que adorei e outro que enfim, não sabia muito bem o que esperar deste e portanto comecei a lê-lo com algum receio.
No entanto fui completamente surpreendida e arrebatada! Adorei a história, todo o mistério em que a casa está envolta, o diferente leque de personagens que a autora nos dá a conhecer (desde personagens que não acreditam minimamente em fantasmas,até aquelas que a sua vida em determinada altura parece não girar em...more
Kay Horlock
Having read the authors other books I knew what to expect. The basic story line is good,especially if the reader has an avid imagination. Joss the main character is a little hysterical and her sister somewhat of a bully,her husband,well,please,he refuses to acknowledge that which is right under his nose! As with all of this writers books this is a slowish starter,an excellent middle and a sudden short ending which leaves the reader wondering what the hell happened. None the less a good read.
Kathy
I liked this book but I didn't love it. I liked that it took me to England and Paris-that's always a plus. The descriptions of the house were always good; it was exactly what you'd expect of a haunted manor in a small village in England. The people had distinct personalities and I got a real sense of their fear whenever something scary happened. There were scary moments throughout the book and that is what I'm after. I want a book to actually SCARE me! For all of this I give the book three stars...more
Rebecca tedder
Not quite as fast paced as the previous Erskine book I read but an enjoyable tale of hauntings all the same and a book I would still recommend to fans of this genre.
Helen Battle
This book is the best ghost story that I have read so far.
I hated putting the book down and couldn't wait to pick it back up again.
If you love a scary ghostly book then this one is a must !
Tiny
So bad I can't remember a single page.
Heather King
Spooky, but a very good read.
Thumbelina-thighs
I just literally finished this book about 30mins ago and although I was very entertained throughout, I found the ending quite lacking. Therefore I gave it only 4 stars. I find that Erskine quite often falls short at the finale of her books, almost as if she is desperate to finish. All in all I loved this book and found it very entertaining and scary!!! Really setting the mood for Halloween. However, i was disapointed by the lack of finality in the ending.
Nicole
A blend of mystery, suspense, tragedy, and the supernatural that explores the centuries old curse of Belheddon Hall.
The characters were well written (see if the main characters sister doesn't drive you nuts! lol But, in my opinion a character that irritates you is better than one that makes you feel nothing.) The writing was enjoyable, although the story was a bit predictable. Still, the book delivered a few chills and was an enjoyable read....more
Dianne Landry
It'S been a while since read one of her books but I was pleasantly surprised. Inheriting Belheddon couldn't have come at a better time for Joss. Her husband's business partner has embezzled all the company's assets and they have to give up their home. Of course she didn't count on the house's many ghosts keeping them company.

A thiroughtly entertaining read.
Rachel
Okay, so the family moves into this house, typical haunting ensues, then they find out that this king had kept his mistress in this place and then she died so his ghost has been hanging around being emo and impregnating women for generations so technically that means he's been having daughters with his own daughters for hundreds of years...
...
...
Whaaaaaaat...?
Lizpeveto
Unusual plot and I kept reading to figure out how it ends. An adoptee inherits her biological parents estate but problems appear quickly. Legend has it that the house is haunted and every male child has met an untimely death. A little bit of a stretch for me but imagine others will like the "ghosts" part of it.
Donna
Okay, this is the absolute last Erskine book I will read! If I hadn't been stuck at home recovering from strep throat, I could have found something better...like a dictionary. This is a really l o n g story that after 2/3 of the book, I skipped 100 pages and picked right back up on the storyline! Good grief!
Karen
I found this book very difficult to get into, I actually thought about stopping the read, but i persevered, I struggled with the French pronunciation a little,which I guess kind of ruined it, but I do know that I probably wont read another by this author, unless somebody gave it to me, unfortunately....
y
Penina
If you have an open mind to paranormal, love historic old homes and history with a hint of romance this is a good read. I am a huge fan of Barbara Erskine. I read her Lady of Hay so many years ago and couldn't put it down. This one I read in almost two sittings. A good read for an open mind.
Xarah
It started out okay, kind of scary and intense. But then became weirder and weirder, but not in a good way. I guess I've just moved away from bizarre horror tales - things like that just don't seem to scare me anymore. Now, if it was real or more realistic, then it would have be more interesting.
Liz Young
Good for an easy, fun read. Was described on the cover as a cross between Stephen King and Barbara Taylor Bradford... I suppose this applies. All i know is i liked the supernatural elements - good fun. Actually, it really reminded me a little of a ghostly 'Flowers in the Attic'???
Jay
I was looking for something seasonal (Halloween season) to read and came across this book. Turns out it was perfect. The story centers around a haunted house and provides suspense without being gruesome. I will look for more works from this author.
  • The Hunting Ground
  • Caedmon's Song
  • Thornyhold
  • The Secret Of Crickley Hall
  • Dark Matter
  • Ammie, Come Home (Georgetown, #1)
  • Gad's Hall (Gad's Hall, #1)
  • Florence and Giles
  • The Prophetess
  • The House at Midnight
An historian by training, Barbara Erskine is the author of six bestselling novels that demonstrate her interest in both history and the supernatural, plus two collections of short stories. Her books have appeared in at least twenty different languages. She lives with her family in an ancient manor house near Colchester, and in a cottage near Hay-on-Wye.
More about Barbara Erskine...
Lady of Hay Kingdom of Shadows Midnight is a Lonely Place Whispers in the Sand Child of the Phoenix