Start by marking “The Goodbye Body (Claire Malloy, #15)” as Want to Read:
The Goodbye Body (Claire Malloy, #15)

The Goodbye Body (Claire Malloy #15)

3.76  ·  Rating Details  ·  543 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Claire Malloy runs a bookstore in the normally quiet college town of Farberville, Arkansas-an enterprise which provides the verging-on-meager living for her and her deeply sarcastic teenage daughter Caron. So when emergency work forces Claire and Caron to abandon their apartment for a few weeks, they are in no financial position to put themselves up in style and Claire is ...more
Published April 4th 2006 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Goodbye Body, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Goodbye Body

Betty
Aug 29, 2015 Betty rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paperback
I have read this book many times to relax myself. It is a fast read and holds my attention. Claire see a rat in her apartment. Desperate for a place to stay she accepts an offer to house set for a few weeks.Caron and Ienz see a man they say who had a gunshot in his head. When the police arrive there is no body. The girls see the body several times before Claire find it in the freezer. Before long Claire learns there is no record of her friend before she moved to Faberville. There are several twi ...more
Jasmine Giacomo
Mar 03, 2011 Jasmine Giacomo rated it liked it
Claire Malloy, bookstore owner, smells a rat. And sees it too, sneaking about in her own house. After throwing the book at her landlord, who grudgingly agrees to make extensive cleanup and repairs to her duplex, Claire and her daughter find themselves out of a home for two weeks. In steps Dolly, loyal customer, to offer her place to them as she jaunts off to visit her sister in Austin. And that's when the bodies start showing up--with most of them being the same body.

Not being a fan of mobster,
Nancy H
Sep 08, 2015 Nancy H rated it liked it
I really enjoy this series featuring book store owner Claire Malloy. This book was no exception, although at one point there was a situation that was a bit unbelievable, even within the at times limitless confines of fiction. (view spoiler) ...more
Cyndi Berve
mystery in Farberville with Claire Malloy
Lzarrow
Jan 01, 2012 Lzarrow rated it it was ok
I grabbed this book from our library because the cover was cute. Not my kind of book. Stereotypical characters (the main character, a female, described herself as something like "pretty good looking"). Of course, she dates the manly, handsome local cop. The author used a lot of big words to tell and average mystery story. This is not "To Kill a Mockingbird" or "War & Peace", but it was entertaining enough and worth the price (free)!
Victoria
Aug 11, 2012 Victoria rated it liked it
Um... I don't think I'm interested enough to read the other novels in this series. It was slow at first, then got weird but not page-turning weird, even when it was concluded, there were still facts to be disclosed to the reader which happened in the last chapter. I think the way it was written (first person) made it difficult for me to really relate to the characters, and gave the narrator an arrogance I found irritating.
Lain
Jun 21, 2008 Lain rated it really liked it
Oh my -- how does Joan Hess do it again and again and again? Her Claire Malloy mysteries are funny, smart, and interesting. She has me hooked by the cleverness of her heroine, as well as by the intricacies of the plot. I devoured this one in a single plane ride. I do think Claire may be becoming a bit TOO testy, but just a tad, as her ascerbic wit is part of her unending charm. Well done, Ms. Hess!
Amanda
Sep 17, 2012 Amanda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As with most murder mystery books, I was hooked to the storyline right from the beginning. I didn't care for the enormous influx of random characters that haphazardly popped into the book. I also felt the sarcasm between Claire and her daughter was a bit over the top. I can't give up Patricia Cornwell for Joan Hess, yet I wouldn't mind reading another one.
Rachel
Oct 12, 2012 Rachel rated it liked it
Claire Malloy needs a place to stay while her apartment is being fumigated and a customer Dolly Golightly offers her the use of her house while she's out of town. Soon Claire's duaghter Caron and her friend Inez find a dead body by the pool but the body soon dissappears. The story gets a bit convoluted with mobsters and FBI agents but a good read.
Jane
May 23, 2012 Jane rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
I'm re-reading this series for the who knows how many times. They can get a little samey taken that way but I know I love them so it doesn't matter. Delightfully charming and acerbic with mysteries that don't get too convoluted or contrived. I love Caron and Claire's daughter/mother rivalry and moments of bonding.
Levy Roberge
Jun 20, 2013 Levy Roberge rated it really liked it
I'd like to read these in order, but can't get them that way at the library. Hate to wait for the book to come in. Typical Joan Hess, quick reading and always a twist at the end.
Barbara
Jan 14, 2011 Barbara rated it really liked it
Kindle/rated four stars because it was a fun read. I've had a lot on my mind and this proved to be the perfect light hearted, but well plotted distraction.
Paige
Mar 27, 2013 Paige rated it did not like it
Hated it. Only book I've read by this author and I couldn't stay awake. Too wordy, vague, and not funny at all like it suggests in the synopsis.
Cindy Grossi
Jun 27, 2012 Cindy Grossi rated it it was ok
Same old light summer mystery with the busy body woman figuring out the crime. I didn't find any fresh language or ideas. Just so-so.
Shirley
Jun 25, 2009 Shirley rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Another Joan Hess--and I have two more at home to read, unless I decide I need a change. So far still finding her a very enjoyable read.
Melissa W
Jul 14, 2015 Melissa W rated it really liked it
A crack up!
Kate C
Aug 22, 2011 Kate C rated it liked it
This was given to Joe but I'm reading it!
Susan
Jul 13, 2012 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Claire Malloy is a fun character. Quick read.
Marian Oye
Absolutely delightful.
Susan Dickey
Jun 18, 2010 Susan Dickey added it
reread
Marianne
Marianne rated it liked it
May 24, 2016
Annette Miro-Cassar
Annette Miro-Cassar marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
Jodie Springer
Jodie Springer marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
Carol
Carol added it
May 19, 2016
Andrea Harris
Andrea Harris marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
Beth
Beth added it
May 17, 2016
DarBeckWa
DarBeckWa rated it liked it
May 15, 2016
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
May 05, 2016
Stephanie Hein
Stephanie Hein marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Mary
Mary rated it really liked it
May 02, 2016
  • Little Tiny Teeth (Gideon Oliver, #14)
  • The Archbishop in Andalusia (Blackie Ryan, #17)
  • Mint Julep Murder (Death on Demand, #9)
  • Suture Self (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #17)
  • Uncatalogued (A Booklover's Mystery, #6)
  • Dead Days of Summer (Death on Demand, #17)
  • Who Killed the Queen of Clubs? (Thoroughly Southern, #7)
  • Bones To Pick (Sarah Booth Delaney, #6)
  • Can't Never Tell
  • Catalogue of Death (Miss Zukas, #10)
Joan Hess is the author of both the Claire Malloy and the Maggody mystery series. She is a winner of the American Mystery Award, a member of Sisters in Crime, and a former president of the American Crime Writers League. She lives in Fayetteville, Arkansas.

Joan Hess also writes a mystery series under the pseudonym of Joan Hadley.

Series contributed to:
. Crosswinds
. The Year's 25 Finest Crime and Mys
More about Joan Hess...

Claire Malloy (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Strangled Prose (Claire Malloy, #1)
  • The Murder at the Murder at the Mimosa Inn (Claire Malloy, #2)
  • Dear Miss Demeanor (Claire Malloy, #3)
  • A Really Cute Corpse (Claire Malloy, #4)
  • A Diet to Die For (Claire Malloy, #5)
  • Roll Over and Play Dead (Claire Malloy, #6)
  • Death by the Light of the Moon (Claire Malloy, #7)
  • Poisoned Pins (Claire Malloy, #8)
  • Tickled to Death (Claire Malloy, #9)
  • Busy Bodies (Claire Malloy, #10)