Start by marking “The Goodbye Body (Claire Malloy, #15)” as Want to Read:
The Goodbye Body (Claire Malloy, #15)

The Goodbye Body (Claire Malloy #15)

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  501 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Claire Malloy runs a bookstore in the normally quiet college town of Farberville, Arkansas-an enterprise which provides the verging-on-meager living for her and her deeply sarcastic teenage daughter Caron. So when emergency work forces Claire and Caron to abandon their apartment for a few weeks, they are in no financial position to put themselves up in style and Claire is ...more
Published April 4th 2006 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Goodbye Body, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Goodbye Body

Jasmine Giacomo
Claire Malloy, bookstore owner, smells a rat. And sees it too, sneaking about in her own house. After throwing the book at her landlord, who grudgingly agrees to make extensive cleanup and repairs to her duplex, Claire and her daughter find themselves out of a home for two weeks. In steps Dolly, loyal customer, to offer her place to them as she jaunts off to visit her sister in Austin. And that's when the bodies start showing up--with most of them being the same body.

Not being a fan of mobster,
Lzarrow
I grabbed this book from our library because the cover was cute. Not my kind of book. Stereotypical characters (the main character, a female, described herself as something like "pretty good looking"). Of course, she dates the manly, handsome local cop. The author used a lot of big words to tell and average mystery story. This is not "To Kill a Mockingbird" or "War & Peace", but it was entertaining enough and worth the price (free)!
Victoria
Um... I don't think I'm interested enough to read the other novels in this series. It was slow at first, then got weird but not page-turning weird, even when it was concluded, there were still facts to be disclosed to the reader which happened in the last chapter. I think the way it was written (first person) made it difficult for me to really relate to the characters, and gave the narrator an arrogance I found irritating.
Lain
Oh my -- how does Joan Hess do it again and again and again? Her Claire Malloy mysteries are funny, smart, and interesting. She has me hooked by the cleverness of her heroine, as well as by the intricacies of the plot. I devoured this one in a single plane ride. I do think Claire may be becoming a bit TOO testy, but just a tad, as her ascerbic wit is part of her unending charm. Well done, Ms. Hess!
Amanda
As with most murder mystery books, I was hooked to the storyline right from the beginning. I didn't care for the enormous influx of random characters that haphazardly popped into the book. I also felt the sarcasm between Claire and her daughter was a bit over the top. I can't give up Patricia Cornwell for Joan Hess, yet I wouldn't mind reading another one.
Rachel
Claire Malloy needs a place to stay while her apartment is being fumigated and a customer Dolly Golightly offers her the use of her house while she's out of town. Soon Claire's duaghter Caron and her friend Inez find a dead body by the pool but the body soon dissappears. The story gets a bit convoluted with mobsters and FBI agents but a good read.
Jane
I'm re-reading this series for the who knows how many times. They can get a little samey taken that way but I know I love them so it doesn't matter. Delightfully charming and acerbic with mysteries that don't get too convoluted or contrived. I love Caron and Claire's daughter/mother rivalry and moments of bonding.
Levy Roberge
I'd like to read these in order, but can't get them that way at the library. Hate to wait for the book to come in. Typical Joan Hess, quick reading and always a twist at the end.
Barbara
Kindle/rated four stars because it was a fun read. I've had a lot on my mind and this proved to be the perfect light hearted, but well plotted distraction.
Paige
Hated it. Only book I've read by this author and I couldn't stay awake. Too wordy, vague, and not funny at all like it suggests in the synopsis.
Cindy Grossi
Same old light summer mystery with the busy body woman figuring out the crime. I didn't find any fresh language or ideas. Just so-so.
Shirley
Another Joan Hess--and I have two more at home to read, unless I decide I need a change. So far still finding her a very enjoyable read.
Kate C
This was given to Joe but I'm reading it!
Susan
Claire Malloy is a fun character. Quick read.
Marian Oye
Absolutely delightful.
Susan Dickey
Jun 18, 2010 Susan Dickey added it
Shelves: mystery
reread
Janet Barnett
Janet Barnett marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
Suzie
Suzie is currently reading it
Jul 12, 2015
Pamela Ennis
Pamela Ennis marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2015
Dogsmom Laura
Dogsmom Laura marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2015
  • Vi Agra Falls (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #24)
  • Who Killed the Queen of Clubs? (Thoroughly Southern, #7)
  • Icy Clutches (Gideon Oliver, #6)
  • April Fool Dead (Death on Demand, #13)
  • The Archbishop in Andalusia (Blackie Ryan, #17)
  • Honeymoon With Murder (Death on Demand, #4)
  • Hula Done It? (Passport to Peril, #4)
Joan Hess is the author of both the Claire Malloy and the Maggody mystery series. She is a winner of the American Mystery Award, a member of Sisters in Crime, and a former president of the American Crime Writers League. She lives in Fayetteville, Arkansas.

Joan Hess also writes a mystery series under the pseudonym of Joan Hadley.

Series contributed to:
. Crosswinds
. The Year's 25 Finest Crime and Mys
More about Joan Hess...

Claire Malloy (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Strangled Prose (Claire Malloy, #1)
  • The Murder at the Murder at the Mimosa Inn (Claire Malloy, #2)
  • Dear Miss Demeanor (Claire Malloy, #3)
  • A Really Cute Corpse (Claire Malloy, #4)
  • A Diet to Die For (Claire Malloy, #5)
  • Roll Over and Play Dead (Claire Malloy, #6)
  • Death by the Light of the Moon (Claire Malloy, #7)
  • Poisoned Pins (Claire Malloy, #8)
  • Tickled to Death (Claire Malloy, #9)
  • Busy Bodies (Claire Malloy, #10)
Malice in Maggody (Arly Hanks, #1) Strangled Prose (Claire Malloy, #1) Mischief in Maggody (Arly Hanks, #2) The Murder at the Murder at the Mimosa Inn (Claire Malloy, #2) Martians in Maggody (Arly Hanks, #8)