Start by marking “Lunch Wars: How to Start a School Food Revolution and Win the Battle for Our Children's Health” as Want to Read:

3.42 of 5 stars 3.42  ·  rating details  ·  79 ratings  ·  18 reviews
There's a battle going on in school lunchrooms around the country...and it's a battle our children can't afford for us to lose. The average kid will eat 4,000 school lunches between kindergarten and twelfth grade. But what exactly are kids eating in school lunchrooms around the country? Many parents don't quite know what their children are eating-or where it came from. As ...more
Published August 18th 2011 by Tarcher

To ask other readers questions about Lunch Wars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lunch Wars

Naomi
Kalafa's _Lunch Wars_ equips parents and communities with the information needed to make real, nutritious, ecologically healthful, educationally sound change in schools. Kalafa works hard in the book to dispel the myth that only wealthy districts and schools can afford healthy food and cites many exciting projects and organizations based in and composed of historically disadvantaged communities and peoples.

It is a big book - 501 pages - but 50 of them are citations and the index (not, sadly tho
Dina
Review originally published at Dina Runs

We have an epidemic in this country. From children going hungry to childhood obesity, there is one program that can make a huge difference and that is the school lunch program. Lunch Wars by Amy Kalafa is a comprehensive reference for parents, educators, and other concerned citizens who know we have a problem but are unsure how we can fix it. The book was inspired by the movie that Amy produced and directed called Two Angry Moms. Her journey begins with Am
Rachael
Lots of great information and stories about how people are making a big difference in the lives of our children.

"If someone ran into a school with a gun we would react very aggressively to try to figure out what we're going to do. The kind of food we're giving our children is going to wind up killing more children than any gunman this year. We're setting our kids up for diabetes, for lifelong obesity; we're putting toxins in the food that goes into their bodies. That's an emergency. And in an e
Amanda
The moment I started reading Amy Kalafa's Lunch Wars I immediately had flash backs to what I ate in the cafeteria in school. I remember the grease soaked pizza pockets, the hot dogs, and the hamburgers. Nothing about any of those meals sounds remotely appetizing to me and I would hate to see them served in my kiddos school.

Lunch Wars dives into some of the nations schools and how parents have worked to change the cafeterias and food programs in their areas. I am not totally familiar with the pro
Alice
I went into this book with a bad attitude. I was flogging myself for my stupidity in willingly volunteering to review a book on nutrition. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that nutrition is not at the high end of my priority list. I grudgingly slogged through the first two thirds of the book and something inside me changed. It's not that I am on the same page as the self-proclaimed granola-head author Amy Kafala, but somewhere in the pages of the book I realized that I had been taught some ...more
Jean
A very important book which takes you step by step through the steps needed to tackle the school lunch programs in our schools. It explains in very easy to understand terms and steps how to begin. The research done is remarkable and noteworthy. If you have given any thought to taking on this type of project, you can begin here. It is for anyone and everyone, whether you be a person who loves to take charge, likes to talk in front of others, or rather would be on the sidelines doing one of many o ...more
Joanna
TONS of info on why and how to go about creating a food revolution in your school.
Stephanie
"If we can fix school lunch, if we can change how we feed kids and teach them about food, we might be able to save the world." -Ann Cooper

This book is full of comprehensive information on current school food practices and policy along with great ideas for how to effectively try to change school food programs for the better, including stories of people who have already done so in their communities. great for any parent or advocate looking for a guide to improve their school's food program.

Mary
Amy Kalafa addresses an important topic in today's American culture in her new book, "Lunch Wars". Many frustrated parents are ready to make much-needed changes in our school cafeterias, but don't know where to begin. Here, she gives you the tools you need, whether you are a parent, teacher, cafeteria worker, or administrator, to replace the junk food in the school lunch room with healthier choices. For my full review, visit here: http://www.gather.com/viewArticle.act...
Jodie
Reading for BlogHer. The first part of the book is pretty interesting, although apparently the only things we can feed our kids is organic fruits and vegetables, and grass-fed beef. The last two-thirds is a game plan on how to take action in your community to improve school lunch. Probably valuable information for people wanting to do that, but I found it quite tedious.
Patricia Sanders
This is a fascinating book on how we feed our children. School lunchrooms are at the center of the battle to keep our kids healthy by giving them access to healthy food at lunchtime. Schools are starting to come up with programs where kids are growing their own vegetables to eat in their lunchrooms. This was a very interesting book and very thought provoking.
Maryanne Gobble
Lunch wars was packed with information in an easy to read format. I found it to be a very balanced approach to reform. I appreciated that it was not just a rant about wrongs and injustices but also a how-to manual on change along with a variety of inspirational stories from those who have already accomplished change in the food system. Solid five stars!
Kristen
Very interesting! As a teacher, I am aware of how nutrition affects students and Lunch Wars really hits home! The book is a good read with interesting information that parents, teachers, and school leaders can use to make knowledgeable decisions about what we feed our kids. We are what we eat!
More instructional than I was expecting - it definitely read like a handbook, which I hadn't realized. However, definitely some great actionable tips and a lot of information.
Janssen
Really interesting, although I think it could have been better organized and also edited for length: http://everydayreading.blogspot.com/2...
Carrie
Great ideas and resource, but a bit alarmist for my tastes. Still, if you're ready to start a food revolution in your school system, this is the guide to go for.
Bookphile
Dec 16, 2012 Bookphile marked it as did-not-finish
I agreed with some of her ideas, right up until she started providing anecdotes about curing autism through diet. Pseudo science fail, dear author.
E
Reviewing it for BlogHer. Fascinating and informative. Made me remember my own school lunches and think a lot about logistics and policy.
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2015
Alexander Free
Alexander Free is currently reading it
Jun 28, 2015
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2015
Jtoone3
Jtoone3 marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Lenny Dolezal
Lenny Dolezal marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
Carl
Carl marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
  • Meatonomics: How the Rigged Economics of Meat and Dairy Make You Consume Too Much and How to Eat Better, Live Longer, and Spend Smarter
  • Rookie Yearbook Three
  • Peas and Thank You: Simple Meatless Meals the Whole Family Will Love
  • Dancing with Mrs. Dalloway: Stories of the Inspiration Behind Great Works of Literature
  • The Right to Stay Home: Ending Forced Migration and the Criminalization of Immigrants
  • Free for All: Fixing School Food in America (California Studies in Food and Culture, 28)
  • Comfortably Unaware: Global Depletion and Food Responsibility... What You Choose to Eat Is Killing Our Planet
  • Whitewash: The Disturbing Truth About Cow's Milk and Your Health
  • Fair Food: Growing a Healthy, Sustainable Food System for All
  • The Magic Room: A Story About the Love We Wish for Our Daughters
  • Silk Road Vegetarian: Vegan, Vegetarian and Gluten Free Recipes for the Mindful Cook [Vegetarian Cookbook, 101 Recipes]
  • Vegan Finger Foods: More Than 100 Crowd-Pleasing Recipes for Bite-Size Eats Everyone Will Love
  • Vegan Junk Food: 225 Sinful Snacks that are Good for the Soul
  • Build Your Dreams: How To Make a Living Doing What You Love
  • ObamaCare Survival Guide
  • Wild About Greens: 125 Delicious Recipes from Hearty Soups & Stews to Succulent Sautes & Smoothies
  • Keep the Change: A Clueless Tipper's Quest to Become the Guru of the Gratuity