Start by marking “Blackbird Flies” as Want to Read:
Blackbird Flies

Blackbird Flies

4.17  ·  Rating Details  ·  18 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Fifteen year-old Payton MacGregor is a musical prodigy. To him, though, his music is merely a way for him to escape from the chaos that surrounds him. All of his life, he’s had to care for his mother, who copes with her bipolar disorder with booze instead of turning to her own musical talents. He refuses to become a statistic. Then he’s thrown a curve ball.

His mother sudde
Nook
Published April 4th 2011 by Astraea Press (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Blackbird Flies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blackbird Flies

Felicia Rogers
May 27, 2011 Felicia Rogers rated it really liked it
Suzanne Rogers
Oct 22, 2011 Suzanne Rogers rated it really liked it
I loved the premise of this book—a young man with a shattered background heads off to reclaim a part of his heritage he thought was lost forever. His troubled mother dies and Payton is shipped to live with his father, a man he’s never known. To complicate things, his father already has a family, complete with a stepmother and siblings Payton’s never met.

This is a coming-of-age novella with an important message. Payton must embrace his past and his musical gifts before he can move forward. I love
Romancing the Book
Jul 22, 2011 Romancing the Book rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
Reviewed by Shannon
Book provided by author for review

Fifteen year old Payton MacGregor finds himself on a train bound from Winnipeg to Edmonton with no idea how things are going to turn out. Since the death of his mother, he’d been living with his elderly grandparents. Out of the blue, they present him with a train ticket and an opportunity to meet with the man he thought had abandon him when he was a baby.

When he gets to Edmonton, he find out nothing is what he thinks. He finds he is most defin
Arlena
Reviewed By: Arlena Dean
Raven Rating: 5
Blog Review For: GMTA
Review:

"Blackbird Flies" by Chynna T Laird was a good short read. This story deals with mental illness and drug abuse issues with is mother and later with a school friend Lily. The story was of Payton Mac Gregor who had lived for the first fifteen years with is mothers' parents(his grandparents), in Winnipeg now was sent to live his father(Liam) whom Payton had never met
Kristina
Aug 21, 2011 Kristina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story is short, only 98 pages on my Nook, but took me a little bit longer to read because my Nook was being funky and the formatting was off. I did enjoy it though. It is a very emotional story, that had me teary eyed and smiling at times, and very inspirational.

The story is about fifteen year old Payton who is sent to live with his father, even though he'd rather just stay with his grandparents. Payton gets accepted into a school/college for gifted students. Payton plays the piano, and is
Peggy Tibbetts
Mar 05, 2012 Peggy Tibbetts rated it it was amazing
Payton McGregor is a sullen and rebellious 15-year old on a train bound for Edmonton. No one understands that all he wants to do is play his music. Instead his grandparents have sent him away to live with Liam, the father he has never met. Once he arrives he finds life with Liam is full of one surprise after another. The biggest surprise of all is his acceptance into the School of the Arts for the musically gifted. The man Payton never knew actually knows him better than anyone. But his first te ...more
Ruth Hartman
Apr 20, 2012 Ruth Hartman rated it it was amazing
I haven't read a lot of YA books, but that's changing for me. Blackbird Flies is one of the reasons. The main character, a teenage boy, has had a tough family life. He's forced to live with another family member, but doesn't want to. After he gets to know them, though, he realizes things aren't always what they seem. After moving, he finds things in common with his family, and gets to attend a school where many of his dreams come true. You get to know him, his friends, and the complicated dynami ...more
LovesAllThingsBooks Book Reviews
This short story was packed full of emotion. It's about a boy, Payton, that is sent to live with his father, a father he has never known, after the death of his mother. It has been his dream to attend the prestigious School of the Arts for musically gifted youth. It is at this school that he meets a very talented singer, Lily, that he becomes attracted to only to find out she has some secrets of her own. Overall I thought the story was great and shows the very real truth behind substance abuse.
Patricia Kiyono
Mar 06, 2012 Patricia Kiyono rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a musician, I expected to enjoy the musical setting of this story. From the blurb, I expected some references to the helplessness that comes with mental disorders, but I wasn't ready for the gripping detail and the harsh reality of the consequences that sometimes follow them. This was a very dark tale, reminding me of the musical Rent. I read this in two sittings, and will definitely look forward to more from this author.
Katherine
May 11, 2012 Katherine rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-fiction, own
Interesting premise. I can't imagine having so many family issues and baggage to deal with. I liked that he was able to take something horrible and make something positive out of it.
Saruta Valentine
Saruta Valentine marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2016
Rafsan Jaman
Rafsan Jaman marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
Cj
Cj marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2015
Tesla
Tesla marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
AntKathy
AntKathy marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
Nicolle Rios
Nicolle Rios marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2014
Fenia
Fenia marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2014
Ellie Red
Ellie Red marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2014
Kim Benner
Kim Benner marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2014
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2012
Janae
Janae marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2012
Carmen
Carmen marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2012
Mari L.
Mari L. marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2012
Stephanie Taylor
Stephanie Taylor rated it it was amazing
May 19, 2012
Tich Brewster
Tich Brewster rated it really liked it
Apr 27, 2012
J.F. Jenkins
J.F. Jenkins rated it it was amazing
Mar 10, 2014
Vilde
Vilde marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2012
Dani
Dani rated it did not like it
Mar 02, 2012
CHYNNA LAIRD – is a freelance writer and multi award-winning author. Her passion is helping children and families living with Sensory Processing Disorder and other special needs. She’s authored a children’s book, two memoirs, a Young Adult novella, a YA paranormal suspense novel and an adult Suspense/Thriller.

Website: www.chynnalairdauthor.ca
More about Chynna Laird...