Start by marking “Henry and Mudge and the Long Weekend (Henry and Mudge, #11)” as Want to Read:
Henry and Mudge and the Long Weekend (Henry and Mudge, #11)

Henry and Mudge and the Long Weekend (Henry and Mudge #11)

4.08  ·  Rating Details  ·  443 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
Henry and his dog Mudge build an indoor castle in this eleventh Ready-to-Read book of their adventures.

Henry and his 180-pound dog Mudge are best friends forever. And on a long weekend, they build a glorious indoor castle, complete with knights and kings!
Published August 1st 1996 by Simon Spotlight (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Henry and Mudge and the Long Weekend, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Henry and Mudge and the Long Weekend

Dan Tews
Jan 12, 2014 Dan Tews rated it it was ok

“Henry and Mudge and the Long Weekend”, is a kids picture book that is about a boy and his dog having a boring, dull weekend. Henry's parents and his dog helped him build a castle in the basement because the weather outside was not very nice. It took his parents and him a whole weekend to build the castle.

Henry is the main character in the story that loves to be outside. He is a very active young boy that loves to play with his dog Mudge outside. Mudge is Henry’s dog that loves to chew on anyth
Chantelle
May 11, 2015 Chantelle rated it it was amazing
My son and I both thoroughly enjoyed every book in this series and were excited to find out what would happen as we started each one. Because my son was between 5-6 years old (he's an advanced reader) at the time, he easily identified with Henry and loved Mudge because (1) he desperately wanted a dog, and (2) Mudge's goofiness was endearing AND hilarious.

Read Aloud: Pre-K and Kindergarten
Introduces plot, character development, foreshadowing, and use of imagery.

Independent Reading: First or Seco
Jennifer  Davis
May 26, 2015 Jennifer Davis rated it it was amazing
My 7 year old son recently borrowed this book from his school library.

This is the 11th book in the Henry and Mudge series. Even though it is part of a series, you do not need to read the books in a certain order to understand the story.

In this installment, Henry and Mudge are bored during a long weekend. The family gets together and makes a castle out of cardboard boxes and dress up as knights and a king.

The book contains easy text and colorful illustrations for young readers. A great series
Margo Martin
In the book Henry and Mudge and the Long Weekend, Henry and his dog Mudge are bummed out when they look outside and see it is a rainy, wet day. Mudge eventually gets so bored, he fall asleep, and within time, Henry and his father fell asleep too. Henrys mother sees all three of the boys and wakes them up to tell them she has an idea- they should make a castle with the box their new stove came in. They all headed down into the basement where they used Henry’s castle book to transform the box. The ...more
Cheryl
Cute series of stories of a boy and his dog. Simple, colorful graphics.
Kirsten Kouwenhoven
Mar 02, 2010 Kirsten Kouwenhoven rated it really liked it
It is the weekend and Henry and his beguiling dog, Mudge, are bored. It is cold and wet outside and there is nothing to do. That is what they think until their mother comes up with an idea to build a castle using cardboard boxes. The whole family works together to build a colorful, imaginative castle. The weekend turns into a fun and exciting time for all. The illustrations are delightful and the characters are lovable.

Instructional ideas:
Brainstorm and record ideas for what students can do when
Amanda
This is a great read for those students who need more of a challenge then simple picture books. This book has multiple short stories within that have easy vocabulary words. This book could relate to students who love doing fun things with their animal. Also, some of the adventure may relate to readers too such as: making some sort of fort and playing imaginary.
Kaethe
I like their long weekend.

Truly, Rylant's readers are pretty good, but this is the hardest phase for me. Most early readers are tedious to read aloud, too simplistic of story and vocabulary. I'd much rather read out real picture books or chapter books.
Melanie Swider
Great mentor text for problem and solution, narrative writing - mentor for writing about reading, strategy work, and in writing workshop.
Kristin B.
Reading Level: Grade 2
Interest Level: Grades K-2
Rida
Apr 08, 2014 Rida rated it really liked it
So nice. Makes you wanna have parents like his!
Elanor
Oct 07, 2015 Elanor added it
All by herself!
Donna
It's raining outstide and Henry thinks it is going to be a boring weekend. He and Mudge have nothing to do. But Henry's parents have an idea......why not build a castle in the basement? They head off to the basement and each one has an assignment to find parts to make the door, drawbridge, moat, etc. They even come up with costumes. So, what Henry thought was going to be a boring weekend turned out to be loads of fun. Another delightful book for elementary readers by award winning author Cynthis ...more
Dinga
Feb 08, 2015 Dinga rated it it was amazing
COOL!
Nichole
Jude read
Dolly
Jul 12, 2009 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, 2009, pets
This is a fun story about a boring rainy and cold weekend. Henry's Father and Mother encourage him to be creative with some large boxes in their basement, and together they make a castle. This is a great way to have fun and be together, although I'm not sure every family could be quite as artistic or constructive with boxes. It's a good story to read aloud.
Kara
May 23, 2011 Kara rated it it was amazing
The Henry and Mudge series is among the favorite list in our house. We discovered it at the library and have read them all now.
This is a typically book in the series and tells the story about how Henry, Henry's Dad, and Henry's big dog Mudge survive a gloomy February weekend.
Highly recommended to Mudge lovers everywhere!
Kayla
The story line to this book was good. I did not think that the dog had a big part in the story. I felt like the story was more about Henry and what he was doing during the very rainy weekend. Althought Mudge wasn't in the book much, I think that children will enjoy this book. Mudge brings some funny elements to the story.
Kristen
Jan 20, 2009 Kristen rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
This was my favorite of the Henry and Mudge books we've read so far. Max (4) really likes this series. We try to encourage him to read some of it by himself. And they are designed for beginning readers. But mostly he likes the simple stories and a family (and dog) doing simple things.
Deborah Harris
Dec 31, 2013 Deborah Harris added it
Shelves: ar-2, a32
AR Quiz No. 13396 EN Fiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: LG - BL: 2.4 - AR Pts: 0.5
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP, RV
Alaina Sloo
Jul 16, 2013 Alaina Sloo rated it it was amazing
One of my favorites of this Cynthia Rylant early reader series, much enjoyed by kids kindergarten through 2d grade. Sweet, gentle stories about the relationship between a boy and his very big dog. Many kids love them, but boys seem to gravitate toward them most.
Edward Creter
It's raining and pouring and Henry and Mudge the dog are bored. Mom has one solution: make a castle and king Mudge. Mudge is big and lovable enough, and so is this story which I heartily recommend for all kids.
Tobinsfavorite
This one suffered a bit from uneven chapter lengths, which clashes with my purpose of reading a bit each evening with my early reader. It had funny bits like the others, but no cute poignant bits I can remember.
Joe
Feb 14, 2012 Joe rated it it was amazing
I like this book because it's funny. I like this book because Henry and Mudge is funny I like this book because they made their weekend fun
Stacie
May 29, 2011 Stacie rated it really liked it
Cute story. I appreciated that it promoted getting up and being active instead of sitting all weekend in front of TV or video games.
Sherrie Bontrager-Thomas
Cool story of parents helping their child creatively overcome boredom on a long, rainy, dreary weekend. Highly recommended.
Megan Hallman
Mar 19, 2009 Megan Hallman rated it it was amazing
Henry and Mudge books are some of the best books on the market for kids. It doesn't get much better than these!!
Princess
I loved the book. I love what they did when they had nothing to do. His mother knows how to think a lot.
Kendall
May 29, 2013 Kendall rated it liked it
Shelves: children-books
The boys liked this one better than the other ones, because it was a bit simpler and not over their heads.
Nora
Nov 14, 2011 Nora rated it liked it
MCL. It was funny when they all ran upstairs that Mudge ran up for a quick snack.
  • Nate the Great Saves the King of Sweden
  • Fly Guy Meets Fly Girl (Fly Guy, #8)
  • Young Cam Jansen and the Ice Skate Mystery (Young Cam Jansen Mysteries, #4)
  • Abracadabra! Magic with Mouse and Mole
  • The Horse in Harry's Room
  • Bathtime for Biscuit
  • The Berenstain Bears And The Baby Chipmunk
  • Froggy Goes to Camp
  • Mr. Burke Is Berserk! (My Weirder School, #4)
  • The Little Bear Treasury: Little Bear/ Little Bear's Friend/ Little Bear's Visit
  • The Very Bad Bunny (Beginner Books)
An author of fiction, nonfiction, and poetry for children and young adults as well as an author and author/illustrator of picture books for children, Cynthia Rylant is recognized as a gifted writer who has contributed memorably to several genres of juvenile literature. A prolific author who often bases her works on her own background, especially on her childhood in the West Virginia mountains, she ...more
More about Cynthia Rylant...

Henry and Mudge (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • Henry and Mudge - The First Book (Henry and Mudge, #1)
  • Henry and Mudge in Puddle Trouble (Henry and Mudge, #2)
  • Henry and Mudge in the Green Time (Henry and Mudge, #3)
  • Henry and Mudge Under the Yellow Moon (Henry and Mudge, #4)
  • Henry and Mudge in the Sparkle Days (Henry and Mudge, #5)
  • Henry and Mudge and the Forever Sea (Henry and Mudge, #6)
  • Henry and Mudge Get the Cold Shivers (Henry and Mudge, #7)
  • Henry and Mudge and the Happy Cat (Henry and Mudge, #8)
  • Henry and Mudge and the Bedtime Thumps (Henry and Mudge, #9)
  • Henry and Mudge Take the Big Test (Henry and Mudge, #10)