Start by marking “Dead Living” as Want to Read:
Dead Living

Dead Living

It didn’t take long for the world to die. The dead rose with no explanation and only one purpose . . . to eat living flesh.

Born on the day everything died, the world of the living dead is the only world that Aaron knows. Kept in relative isolation from the walking corpses, his family teaches him how to read and write, how to survive on his own. After a tragedy hits close t
Kindle Edition, 1st Edition
Published April 4th 2011

World War Z by Max BrooksZombie Fallout by Mark TufoA Plague Upon Your Family by Mark TufoThe End by Mark TufoFeed by Mira Grant
Best Zombie Books
1,101 books — 2,662 voters
Evermore by Alyson NoelNorth of Beautiful by Justina ChenSelina Penaluna by Jan PageThis Lullaby by Sarah DessenThe Dark Divine by Bree Despain
Cover Couples
821 books — 597 voters

More lists with this book...

Andrea ❤Ninja Bunneh❤
Every Sunday night, I have a small obsession called The Walking Dead. My family has two choices. Either watch it with me, or stay away from me for one hour. If you interrupt my show, I'm not a happy camper. Making the woman of the house an unhappy camper is not a good idea.
I went into this book with zombies on the brain. Expecting lots of this.

photo tumblr_mj04xjcz6V1rmaie1o1_500_zps605b3da5.gif

I got it for about the first quarter of the book and I honestly thought this would be great the whole way through. Zombies, a guy who shoots a crossbow
Debi Faulkner
Apr 29, 2011 Debi Faulkner rated it it was amazing
Dead Living, by Glenn Bullion, is not your ordinary Zombie Apocalypse. This is a book with (lots of bloody) heart.

Opening with your expected zombie-induced chaos, Bullion holds nothing back in showing the initial confusion and devastation expected by the genre. The thing that really sets this book apart, is that he quickly moves past the gore and destruction into a story with real depth and human emotions. Don't be lulled into complacency, though, because there is still plenty of blood, guts an
Felicia A
Jun 23, 2011 Felicia A rated it really liked it
I actually like this one a lot. And dare I say even 4.5? Not "amazing", but really pretty good. It read a lot like Mr. Kim Paffenroth's works in the way it feels. If you like Kim's characters and worldbuilding, I think you would like this one a lot. It's not the bloody, gory, hardcore stuff, but there is some of that in there. The "outbreak" is never explained, and only takes place in the first couple of chapters. The story is more about Aaron, who was born on the day of the outbreak, and first ...more
Shannon
Mar 19, 2012 Shannon rated it it was amazing
Wow!! Just......Wow!!! Sometimes being a fast reader is a good thing, because I get to read alot of books. But sometimes being a fast reader can be a bad thing, especially when you find a good book, no, make that a great book, like Dead Living!!! I couldn't stop reading. I was dreading the fact that the book was almost over. Glenn Bullion is now one of my top 5 authors. He makes you care about the characters. They feel like family at times. My only wish is that it won't be long before I can read ...more
Suzy (ereaderuser)
May 31, 2011 Suzy (ereaderuser) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2011
This was a super fun read that I couldn't put down! It had the usual story of individuals trying to survive once the undead appear, but with a twist that I won't give away. I recommend this to anyone that likes a good zombie novel.
Jessica
Jan 17, 2013 Jessica rated it really liked it
Shelves: zombies
The idea of a human walking among the zombies untouched is certainly not original. (Read the book titled Pariah by Bob Fingerman.) And there were some grammatical errors but despite that I was drawn in and really enjoyed this story. So much so that I kept reading and lost track of time. To me that is the measure of a good story... you lose yourself in it. I do wish there was more explanation for why Aaron could walk among them untouched but such is the nature of the genre. Lots of questions, lit ...more
Kathy
Dec 31, 2011 Kathy rated it liked it
I'm not really into the zombie genre though it is very popular the moment (the new vampires!). This is a quick and straightforward read about a man who finds the dead don't like to eat him. It's a feel good novel but I have to admit I liked World War Z: An Oral History Of The Zombie War much better.

Elaine Mayes
Aug 25, 2011 Elaine Mayes rated it it was ok
Shelves: abandoned
This book needs a lot of grammar and spelling help and I was simply unable to finish it. Here are a couple of examples:

He lied there. . .

Chicken coup (repeated multiple times)

Clothes folder (sic) neatly

She twisted and maneuvered

Everything could have went differently . . .

Michelle (Pink Polka Dot Books)
Aaron lives in a world where the undead roam the Earth looking for their next meal. The thing is, they don't seem to want anything to do with Aaron. He can walk among them and it's like he isn't even there. Because of his severe lack of trust for people (for good reason), he lives alone in a place most people would never venture into: Baltimore, where thousands of zombies hoard. Then he meets Sam, a girl he becomes attached to and learns to trust completely. She takes him back to Lexington, an o ...more
Kat
Oct 09, 2011 Kat rated it really liked it
Shelves: zombie
Full review on my blog: http://theaussiezombie.blogspot.com/

The first chapter of this book, focusing on the first day of the zombapocalypse is fast-paced, a little too much so. Although the action drags you in, I didn’t find the writing style to my liking and, to be honest, had a sinking feeling that I wouldn’t enjoy this book. Even after the first flash-forward I was a little bored, and although not tempted to give up, I still wasn’t convinced this book would improve.

However, once I had reached
Linty
Oct 19, 2011 Linty rated it really liked it
Shelves: zombies
*Note* This was the paperback edition, not kindle. Or as I call the "Real Book" edition.

Overall, there's nothing new under the sun in this zombie tale. It does have some good twists as well as the usual blood and gore(not a whole lot), but the story and characters are very strong--both have depth. While this book does follow a somewhat predictable zombie formula it doesn't matter. I don't mind zombie stories following that same conventional pattern(how many new ways can you come up with this t
chucklesthescot
This book started really well as the zombie apocalypse explodes, leaving Joe trying to get to his pregnant wife Sarah who is in labour and on the way to the hospital with her friend Margie. Denise works at reception as hell breaks loose while Frank is there looking for his bitten sister. I found their stories interesting and exciting, it was well written and I was fully invested in it. I couldn't wait to see what happened to them.

Then we suddenly switch to 14 years later when Joe's baby is a tee
Todd Russell
Apr 09, 2011 Todd Russell rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
Here's a curious twist on random zombie carnage. Not scary, but an eerie, compelling story worth checking out.

The beginning is strong with a hospital scene that makes you feel like you're there the day the world went to hell. You can feel and vividly sense the apocalypse happening and while it's never hopeless, it feels almost there. Readers are treated to smooth, polished writing throughout the story that showcases humanity. Bullion has shades of a very young Robert McCammon.

The romance angle
Penelope Frost
Feb 18, 2012 Penelope Frost rated it it was amazing
The first book I read from Glenn Bullion was Demonspawn (which I loved) and the end of Demonspawn you get a preview of this one (at least when you read it on smashwords.com) which made buy Dead Living immdiately after finishing Demonspawn. This is my first time reading a zombie apocalypse story and I was captivated from the beginning all the way through to the end. Normally I hate zombies and avoid anything and everything containing zombies but this was really good!
I got attached to Aaron and Sa
Siew Ee
Jul 17, 2013 Siew Ee rated it really liked it
It’s difficult to pen a zombie tale that’s radically and refreshing different, so I wasn’t expecting much from “Dead Living”. Of course, there’s some variation from the main theme of cannalistic zombies and the resulting apocalypse world caused by such outbreaks, but not enough to make this book stand out as a whole. Even then, I enjoyed the storytelling, maybe because I enjoy zombie fiction as a whole.

Compared to the other zombie stories I’ve read, “Dead Living” appears tamer, not because of th
Patti
Jan 18, 2013 Patti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This started a little slow and basic, so I was just thinking ho-hum, another zombie novel.

Then it got much better.

A little bit of a twist, one that even made a bit of sense. I adored Sam, hoping that that's the kind of character I'd be in a zombie apocalypse.

Tied everything up nicely, with room for a sequel, but certainly not needed or required.
Starla
Dec 24, 2016 Starla rated it liked it
This was one of Glenn Bullion's early works. It was okay, but mainly serves to show how far he has come as an author. The premise was good, the main character very likable, the execution just a little rough around the edges. Still worth a read if you are looking for a different/original Zombie book.
Adriana
May 26, 2011 Adriana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nice read. Interesting outlook on zombies. 15+ years into the zombie age. Nice to read a zombie book about what happens in the after years. I also like the idea of evolution happening with both the zombies and survivors. You see a lot of zombie books that only show the zombie evolving but I really believe that the survivors would evolve too. It's only logical. Good book!
Damali
Nov 12, 2011 Damali rated it really liked it
At first, I didn't expect much from this book. Then after the first few chapters, I found I couldn't put it down. Excellent job. I've only read about three zombie stories, and this one was the best. After a dry spell, finally characters that I could care about.
Trevor
Jul 13, 2013 Trevor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: zombies
Can't say enough about how cool this book is. A real hero emerges in the zombie apocalypse, and lots of good goes on with the bad. A "feel-good" zombie read with tons of bad goings-on! A new favorite of mine.
Katy
Dec 02, 2011 Katy rated it liked it
If you're into zombie fiction, this is a pretty good read with some new twists to a potentially repetitive genre. The writing won't blow your mind but the story keeps you interested. I'd like to see it made into a movie.
Jason
Jan 08, 2012 Jason rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best zombie apocalypse novels available! Loved every minute of it.
Sarajane
Oct 18, 2011 Sarajane rated it it was amazing
Amazing book. I read it in 1 day, I could not put it down. If you love zombies, you will love this book!
J Dale Breedlove
Nov 12, 2011 J Dale Breedlove rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook
A nice fast read. Good characters. A few plot hoe, but overall would like to read more with these characters.
Tamzin Ackers
Aug 08, 2011 Tamzin Ackers rated it it was amazing

I'm forever searching a zombie book to top this one, hasn't happened.. Don't think it will. Will re-read over and over. 100% worth the time and money.
Robert burke
Aug 20, 2011 Robert burke rated it it was amazing
A zombie novel that is much more than just gore. If you are tired of mindless zombies novel, this book is for you. highly recommended.
Elspeth
Mar 14, 2012 Elspeth rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook
Glenn thank you for another great read!
Deborah
Jul 25, 2011 Deborah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Couldn't put down , enjoyable book to have with a summer cold
Jennifer (Bad Bird Reads)
Find: http://readingandwritingurbanfantasy....

At A Glance
The story was amazing, but the writing dragged this book down a bit.

The Good
This is the kind of story that will stay with you. So much happens in so few pages but none of it feels rushed. Bullion knows how to create characters that we can root for no matter their faults. I was sad for it to end because I felt like I got to know Sam and Aaron personally and I didn't want to let them go.

Samantha does a lot of growing in Dead Living. She ha
Toni
Jul 07, 2013 Toni rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of ZOMBIES!
Actual rating: 4.5 stars, but good enough to round up!

Dead Living begins the day the dead rise and start devouring the living. It also happens to be the same day Aaron is born. His father, Joe, is the character we get acquainted with first. He’s at work when the world starts its downward spiral into hell. Joe’s wife goes into labor during the beginning stages of the outbreak and so begins his dreaded task of reaching the hospital. Ugh, could there be a worse place to go? Every infected person a
  • Domain of the Dead (Domain of the Dead #1)
  • Area 187: Almost Hell
  • After the End
  • The Gathering Dead (The Gathering Dead, #1)
  • After Life
  • The Unwashed Dead (Zombie Armageddon #1)
  • Eden
  • As The World Dies Untold Tales Volume 3
  • The Undead Situation (Undead, #1)
  • Kings of the Dead
  • Among the Dead
  • Flu (Flu, #1)
  • White Flag of The Dead (White Flag of the Dead, #1)
  • The Infection
  • Zombie Britannica
  • Twilight of the Dead
  • I Zombie I (I Zombie, #1)
  • Plague Zone