Start by marking “Dimity Duck” as Want to Read:
Dimity Duck

Dimity Duck

Full of childlike curiosity and adorable whimsy, this book introduces Dimity Duck, who goes about her day playing, splashing, and giggling until she toddles off to bed. Full color.
Published May 18th 2006 by Philomel (first published January 1st 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Dimity Duck, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dimity Duck

Jack Kirby and the X-man
While Jane Yolen has a long history of writing what must be quite good books (with a Caldecott winner and honour book under her belt), even the best author can put out a middling book.

This book has many of the right elements - rhythm, rhyme, onomatopoeia, cute illustrations... But somehow the combination of all these good parts doesn't seem to produce an amazing book.
Alex Austin
Yolen, Jane. "Dimity Duck". Illus. Sebastien Braun. New York: Philomel Books, 2006. Print. Genre Easy Reader. Age 2-4. This book follows the story of a little duckling. It talks about her from the moments she wakes up and then when she goes out and plays and then continues following her up until she gets ready for bed and falls asleep. I thought that the way this book is illustrated is a great way to match the text. I think that the text is good because it repeats a lot so that it becomes natura ...more
Erin Buhr
Aug 18, 2014 Erin Buhr rated it really liked it
Being a longtime fan of Jane Yolen, I was surprised to discover this previously unknown book on a recent hunt for duck related reads. It is the tender and playful story of a day in the life of Dimity Duck. After prepping for the day, she waddles to the pond to spend the day with her friend Frumity Frog. Together they spend the day waddling, splashing, and playing together in a pond. Sebastien Braun's depicting of Dimity Duck is undeniably darling, which helps to draw the reader into her little l ...more
Emily
Jan 29, 2014 Emily rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
One of our very favorite books for young children. The words have a clever and regular rhythm and rhyme to them as they go through the duck's day from waking to sleep. The pictures have vibrant color and a lot of character and charm. The text layout is very thoughtfully designed to match the words, so when it's talking about how she waddled and toddled, the text is a little off-kilter, and on a page about the duck diving to find food underwater, the text moves in a smooth downward arc, mirroring ...more
Kristen
Feb 11, 2016 Kristen rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-books
The book itself was decent. Nothing I hated about it but nothing I loved either. It was a cute story - good rhyming. But sometimes sentences were reworded to make it rhyme which made it awkward, like "Seek-and-hide"...seriously, everyone calls it hide-and-seek. You can't seek someone who hasn't hid! It was a cute book about friends though, and I like when books end with bedtime since we generally read books at bedtime. The names of the duck and frog were strange though. Not really sure how the a ...more
Eva Leger
Jan 14, 2011 Eva Leger rated it it was ok
Shelves: julias-books
1.5 - Well. The ducks cute. But the story is not. Actually, let me fix that up a bit. If your kid likes "words" like 'niddy-noddy' and 'sleepy-sloppy', names like 'Frumity Frog', they may like this. Mine, uh, doesn't.
Don't get me wrong, she's a kid, we have our own special words and all but jeez, "niddy-noddy"? What is that? I'm a little ticked that Yolen did this to such a cute duck.
This is a perfect - absolutely perfect - example of how 'hit-or-miss' Jane Yolen is.
Amanda
Aug 07, 2008 Amanda rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone with toddlers/preschoolers
Shelves: kid-s-books
My 2 1/2 y/o son loves this one and we read it at least once a day (until it has to go back to the library). I will probably put it on my Amazon wish list, though, because it really is great. The rhyme is fun, kind of a tongue twister, though, and the illustrations are adorable. It goes through Dimity's day, which includes playing with her friend, Frumity Frog. Dimity is a fun-loving little duck, who I'm sure many kids would like.
Desiree Kulewsky
Aug 26, 2013 Desiree Kulewsky rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 10-library-books
I really enjoyed reading this book even though it was very simple. The words were silly, discriptive and also changed font and boldness. This made it match what was happening in the story. I like some of the repeating sentences. It would make it catchy for the children to read along to. The pictures were also great. Very colorful and fun.
Peacegal
Mar 25, 2011 Peacegal rated it it was ok
The text is a little more involved than most board books, but that doesn’t necessarily make it anything special. After the saccharine PeedieI’m starting to think I just don’t like cartoon ducklings.
Hilary
Dec 31, 2014 Hilary rated it really liked it
Shelves: baby-toddler
Very cute drawings illustrating Dimity Duck's day, from getting up to going to bed, and the words have a pleasing rhythm.

The 2yo loves it (hence the 4 stars) but doesn't seem to interact as much as with other books, and the text is hard to explain.
Marcia
Jun 25, 2009 Marcia rated it it was amazing
I read it every night with Patricia. It is by far our favorite. We can both recite it by memory but we still love to turn the pages and find out what Dimity will do next. Here's to good toddler reading!
Genevieve Arhin
Sep 22, 2015 Genevieve Arhin rated it liked it
Shelves: adventure, rhymes, play
It talks about the day in the life of a duck but I was especially excited about the play of words. I think children will enjoy reading about all the fun this duck has all day long.
Emily
Jun 09, 2011 Emily rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
I think it's cute, but it earns a solid 5 starts just for how much our 2 year old loves it.
Naomi
May 27, 2015 Naomi rated it liked it
Cute. The elements of a good kid's book are there, but I still found it to be pretty mediocre. The illustrations are what I feel will draw kids' attentions.
Melissa
Apr 23, 2015 Melissa rated it liked it
Not much to the story, but great rhyming and word play for a toddler to hear. I picked it off the shelf because it had the name of my old street, but the illustrations also caught my eye.
Bree
Feb 27, 2014 Bree rated it it was ok
Shelves: preschool-books
Notes:
the art is great, the story is not
too simple and too much baby-talk going on
Wendy
Jun 13, 2012 Wendy rated it it was amazing
Beautifully illustrated and written book , pictures well drawn , lovely story - a Fourier in our house
Ecl  Storytellers
This rhymes and theres great onomatopoeia!
Michelle
May 27, 2014 Michelle rated it really liked it
Really cute art style, but I can't pronounce Dimity and the story was a bit scatter brained
David
Jun 01, 2015 David rated it liked it
Not a bad story. The names could be a little easier to read.
Julie
Sep 03, 2009 Julie added it
If you have kids, you must have this book. LOVE IT! We read it every night.
Christine
May 13, 2011 Christine rated it it was amazing
I love reading this book to my kids. What a cute duck!
Tracy Morton
Mar 24, 2015 Tracy Morton rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Cute rhyming. A bit long. The characters are adorable.
Melinda
Melinda rated it it was amazing
Aug 25, 2009
Maquoketa
Maquoketa rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2014
Ruth
Ruth rated it it was amazing
Jun 13, 2009
Lucy Bilik
Lucy Bilik rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2012
Marshmallowlemonade
Marshmallowlemonade rated it really liked it
May 16, 2013
Lisa Cruse
Lisa Cruse rated it it was amazing
Dec 23, 2012
Chris C
Chris C rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Mouse's First Snow
  • The Little Rabbit Who Liked to Say Moo
  • Honk Honk! Beep Beep!
  • Train Man
  • Bear's New Friend (The Bear Books)
  • The Little Dump Truck
  • I Dream of an Elephant
  • I Kissed the Baby!
  • Howard B. Wigglebottom Learns to Listen
  • Gideon and Otto (Gossie & Friends)
  • I Don't Want a Cool Cat!
  • Tadpole Rex
  • Bubbles, Bubbles (Sesame Beginnings)
  • Fix It Duck
  • Bears on Chairs
  • Trucks Roll!
  • Whose Chick Are You?
  • Good Thing You're Not an Octopus!
Jane Yolen is a novelist, poet, fantasist, journalist, songwriter, storyteller, folklorist, and children’s book author who has written more than three hundred books. Her accolades include the Caldecott Medal, two Nebula Awards, the World Fantasy Award, three Mythopoeic Awards, the Kerlan Award, two Christopher Awards, and six honorary doctorate degrees from colleges and universities in Massachuset ...more
More about Jane Yolen...