Start by marking “My Dad's a Policeman” as Want to Read:
My Dad's a Policeman
Preview

My Dad's a Policeman

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  952 ratings  ·  67 reviews
Fast-paced and compelling, this short story from Cathy Glass follows the experiences of a Ryan, a small and lonely 12-year-old boy who struggles to fit in. In an attempt to make friends, and discourage the school bullies from picking on him, Ryan tells his peers that his dad is a policeman. When the police actually turn up on Ryan's doorstep, to take him away from his alco ...more
Published February 17th 2011 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about My Dad's a Policeman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Dad's a Policeman

Six-Fingered Nigel
I thought it was really amazing. It really gave you insight into what some kids go through and how tough it is, and it makes you realize that you'll never fully understand what they live through and how it makes them feel.
Lance Greenfield
Cathy Glass is a foster parent, so she writes this story based on experience.

Ryan never knew his Dad, but he has to tell people something, and that something is in the title. It transpires that his mother may not even know who his Dad was, as he and his much-loved brother, Tommy, were both conceived during drunken one-night stands. His mother is almost ALWAYS drunk.

Ryan is taken into care, and is separated from his brother. He makes plans and runs away. His best friend takes a risk to harbour h
Ellen Isabella
I chose this book because the number of the pages is quite small so to finish it before year 2011. It's a true story about a boy named Ryan who had to lived with a foster carer since his mother failed to take care of him and his brother.

It was such a heartbreaking story, but for me it was not strong enough. The story was supposed to be Ryan's experience and it was told from the first person perspective. But then the story-teller was actually not Ryan himself but Cathy who might only know the sto
Den
Alicia M
This review is SPOILER FREE (if you want a more in depth review then please check out my blog post here: https://secretsofthestudentlife.wordp... ). Also, sorry it's really late. I finished this book a while ago but I've been so busy lately I just didn't have time to update it.

I love Cathy Glass and her books - while they are completely heart wrenching and often leave me on the verge of tears, they are also a reminder of how selfless and good some people can be, and how even the smallest, most d
Theresa
I was a little confused when I first started the book because I thought it was going to be told by Cathy Glass-about one of her own foster kids. Not to say that I didn't feel for Ryan & Tommy & Wayne but I think I would have liked the book more if it was what I expected. I also enjoy longer books and this one is a quick story.
Joy
I admire Cathy & her family for all they do for these precious little ones in need of love , protection and most of all to learn that not all people treat children like that if their own parent or parents , my heart broke for each child and cried tears if sadness for what had been done to them and the childhoods lost but also cried tears of joy and triumph when I read of the happy endings , with such sad beginnings in this world they were able to overcome it all thanks to people like Cathy . ...more
Brittany Rice
I really enjoy Cathy Glass, however this was not my favorite of her work. If this happens to be your first experience if Ms. Glass, I strongly urge you to read another before moving on.
Sara
A very different Cathy Glass book, but I enjoyed it very much :)
Nikki Finn
Tři dny v životě chlapce v jednom krátkém příběhu. Maminka alkoholička, vysněný neexistující otec, zavedou Ryana do rukou náhradní péče. Krásný pohled do hlaviček dětí, které si myslí, že přečůrají systém, ve kterém žijí a zkouší se domoci svých práv vlastní cestou, která - samozřejmě - nefunguje. Další prima příběh z pera Cathy Glass.
Books
I’ve only read one other of Cathy Glass’s books so far, but I’m looking forward to reading more of her writing. As far as quick reads go this one took me a little less than an hour to read through. It was an okay read. Nothing like what I got with Daddy’s Little Princess, but still something that tugged at my heartstrings.
Maria Casey
This was a short book from the quick reads series. I've been in a bit of a slump lately, so this was nice to help me ease my way out of it.

The book follows a boy who is taken away from his mother and placed in foster care. I don't know why but I've always had an interest in these kinds of books.

Having said that, the writing of this book wasn't great. Because the author was trying to write it from the perspective of a twelve year old boy, it was written quite simplistically which didn't fully w
Kay Townsend
I read this book in one sitting, couldn't put it down. I even went onto Cathy's website to find out the update of Ryan. I love Cathy's book, although they are sad at times they are really good reads. Would definitely recommend it.
Amanda Grumbach
It is written from a differently than Cathy Glass' other books but I still liked it. Even though it wasn't about one of her foster children & wasn't as long as her other books it was still interesting.
Zara Pemberton
Being bought up in care from the age of 10 I can relate to this book. The logistics are written accurately. Thankfully in my case me and my brother ended up together the whole time.
Faye
Loved this short story, this is the first I have read of the author Cathy Glass, sad story, however, I would definitely read another book of this author.
Karlee
Good quick read that provides an insight into the lives of children who end up in the fostering system.
Emma
Very different from cathys other books, very short and plain.
Ann
Fiction this time, but I suspect it has happened
Aileen
Ryan is 12 he has never known his real Dad, (in his head he’s a Policeman), he lives with his Alcoholic mother, and little brother. The Social worker moves them both to Foster Families, but both boys are separated, Ryan is not happy, so he escapes and goes back home to his Mum. The Police are called and he goes on the run with no money, he has to try and survive, he comes up with a plan to get Tommy but will it work? I really enjoyed this book, I felt really sorry for Ryan and his brother, and I ...more
Dakota
I found this very moving and Hart warming
Sophie Collins
A sad short read about a boy with a bad start to his live and his journey to pull his family together. As always a good piece of work by Cathy glass.
Kats
I fancied a quick read "for the road" (actually for the cross-trainer), and this short book served well in that respect, however, it left me wondering who her target audience is with this story; I feel it's too depressing, scary and foul-mouthed for children under the age of 12, and it's a bit trite for teen-agers. Knowing that the author has worked as a foster mum for many years, it obviously adds ample authenticity to the story which makes it even more depressing, really.
Lorraine Shaw
Not bad for a short read
Maggie
This was a very quick read written from the point of view of the young boy who, with his younger brother, becomes a foster child after his mother, an alcoholic, once again proves that she cannot take good care of her children. It was unusual to have that point of view, and only partially effective. I missed Cathy's input on the system and the role of the foster parents but, nonetheless, it was an interesting read.
Kristina
very plain book. not much goes on.
Heidi
This was a short but well-written novelette, told from the point of view of a pre-teen, Ryan, taken into foster care along with his little brother. Despite their strong bond, the boys are inexplicably put into separate homes, which makes Ryan do a runner. Gradually he comes to realize that foster care isn't so bad after all.
Dani
Cathy Glass is one of my favorite authors. This was my second Cathy Glass book I read. She works as a foster carer and creates fictionalized stories based on many of her foster children. The emotion in her books is real and very relatable to the reader. I always enjoy coming across her books on my Kindle.
  • Crying for Help: The Shocking True Story of a Damaged Girl with a Dark Past
  • Hush, Little Baby
  • Cry Myself to Sleep
  • The Step Child: A True Story of a Broken Childhood
  • Nobody Came: The Appalling True Story of Brothers Cruelly Abused in a Jersey Care Home
  • Tell Me Why, Mummy: A Little Boy’s Struggle to Survive. A Mother’s Shameful Secret. The Power to Forgive.
  • Don't You Love Your Daddy
  • When Daddy Comes Home
  • Daddy's Little Secret: Pregnant at 14 and There's Only One Man Who Can Be the Father
  • Betrayed
  • Daddy's Little Earner: A Heartbreaking True Story Of A Brave Little Girl's Escape From Violence
  • Scarred
  • Mummy Knew
  • I Remember, Daddy: The Harrowing True Story of a Daughter Haunted by Memories Too Terrible to Forget
  • Helpless: The True Story of a Neglected Girl Betrayed and Exploited by the Neighbour She Trusted
  • Silent Sisters
  • Mother from Hell: Two Brothers, a Sadistic Mother, a Childhood Destroyed.
Cathy Glass is a bestselling British author, freelance writer and foster carer.
Her work is strongly identified with both the True Life Stories and Inspirational Memoirs genres, and she has also written a parenting guide to bringing up children, Happy Kids, and a novel, The Girl in the Mirror, based on a true story.
Glass has worked as a foster career for more than 20 years, during which time she ha
More about Cathy Glass...
Damaged: The Heartbreaking True Story of a Forgotten Child Cut: The True Story Of An Abandoned, Abused Little Girl Who Was Desperate To Be Part Of A Family Hidden Mummy Told Me Not to Tell The Saddest Girl in the World